PDA

View Full Version : good read on the college football landscape

ElKabong
09-20-2011, 01:45 AM
http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/the-geography-of-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+nyt/rss/Sports+(NYT+>+Sports)&seid=auto&smid=tw-nytimessports

...and why the PAC isn't a good choice (if you have a choice). Good read. The smart move is to the B1G, or Independant.

snippage- If you add up these results across all 210 markets, the three most popular teams are the three that also usually have the largest home attendance: Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State. (Ohio State is ranked first in the country with about 3.1 million fans.)

1-tOSU
2-Michigan
3-Penn St
4-Notre Dame
5-TEXAS
6-Texas A&M
7-Auburn
8-Alabama
9-Florida
10-Clemson

rastajenk
09-20-2011, 06:17 AM
That was interesting; good link.

The first thing that struck me was using Google searches to gauge interest. My comment isn't an argument or a rejection of the data or even thought completely through, just an observation: what kind of internet user would search "college football?" What specifically might he be looking for, and what would the chances be that finds it with such a general search? Is that user the kind you'd use to measure market reach?

I guess I'm surprised Tex A&M is ranked so high, and Clemson in the top ten.

Robert Goren
09-20-2011, 07:37 AM
http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/the-geography-of-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+nyt/rss/Sports+(NYT+>+Sports)&seid=auto&smid=tw-nytimessports

...and why the PAC isn't a good choice (if you have a choice). Good read. The smart move is to the B1G, or Independant.

snippage- If you add up these results across all 210 markets, the three most popular teams are the three that also usually have the largest home attendance: Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State. (Ohio State is ranked first in the country with about 3.1 million fans.)

1-tOSU
2-Michigan
3-Penn St
4-Notre Dame
5-TEXAS
6-Texas A&M
7-Auburn
8-Alabama
9-Florida
10-ClemsonOver the years, We have had Penn St, Texas, A&M and Notre Dame visit us(Nebraska). This much I can tell you, The Notre Dame fans travel very well and spend money. Oklahoma fans are a distance second, then Texas. Texas fans fans are pretty good, but they aren't on the same planet as Notre Dame fans. You ain't seen nothing until you had Notre Dame come to town. Ohio State comes in this year, so I guess we will see about them.