PDA

View Full Version : Rant: I'm sick and tired

toussaud
09-18-2011, 04:11 PM
of having the internal debate of "horse racing or football" on the weekends in the fall. this is getting old. then horse racing puts it's big races smack dab in the middle of football doesn't make it easier. I mean work with me, make them earlier. I'm a lifelong cowboy fan, i'm going to watch the cowboy game over the woodbine mile, but i really like to see the woodbine mine.

just throwing away money, by not ot understanding that people have lives outside of horse racing

Tom
09-18-2011, 04:42 PM
You can't tune in to TVG for 5 minutes?

mannyberrios
09-18-2011, 04:51 PM
of having the internal debate of "horse racing or football" on the weekends in the fall. this is getting old. then horse racing puts it's big races smack dab in the middle of football doesn't make it easier. I mean work with me, make them earlier. I'm a lifelong cowboy fan, i'm going to watch the cowboy game over the woodbine mile, but i really like to see the woodbine mine.

just throwing away money, by not ot understanding that people have lives outside of horse racing
Do you think that there Is life outside of horse racing

grant miller
09-18-2011, 06:24 PM
I,m glad I,m a trotter boy(buf., bat-downs,tioga.) Bills rule on sundays till jan,WOW,what a comback by the bills& the amish rifle,fitz!!!!-horses just cant get me going on sun. J.M.O.

toussaud
09-18-2011, 06:46 PM
I,m glad I,m a trotter boy(buf., bat-downs,tioga.) Bills rule on sundays till jan,WOW,what a comback by the bills& the amish rifle,fitz!!!!-horses just cant get me going on sun. J.M.O.
I'm more of a college guy. i will watch any college football game on TV, i love college football. I don 't even consider watching races on saturdays.
I just wish horse racing would, move some races earlier or later in the day or move some of the bigger races during the week in the fall. there is so much going on regardless of what your "thing is". if you are a colelge basketball fan that's right around the corner. NBA, well never mind lol

October 1st and breeders cup saturday are the only two Saturdays this fall i will watch horse racing, and hell we play (arknasas) texas a and m, which will be a top 15 match up on the first, so now i got to hope that the game comes on later in the day or i'm in a real big pickle.

If you are in socal, are you going to go to fair plex, or are you going to watch the bills/radiers or the pats/chargers game?L not a hard decision to make

Look, horse racing is my passion, I Love the sport, seriously. But i mean come on.

alhattab
09-18-2011, 06:53 PM

If you don't already have one, get yourself a DVR. Record the game while watching the races or vice-versa. Then either flip back and forth between the two so you can constantly skip through the ads, or watch the races between games or after your key game. Get the bets in early. What is nice is that you never get sports updates while watching the races and thus you run almost zero risk of hearing a score before you've seen.

PhantomOnTour
09-18-2011, 06:55 PM
Trust me, the Woodbine Mile is plenty more entertaining than the Cowboys.

It's hard for racing to avoid college football on Saturdays. Games start at 12noon EST and last well past 11pm EST.
Pro ball on Sundays has games that start at 1pm-4pm-around 7pm EST.

I feel your pain...LSU and Alabama often play on Br Cup Saturday, and I'm a Fighting Tiger baby...tough call.

toussaud
09-18-2011, 06:57 PM
Record the game .
that's funny

toussaud
09-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Trust me, the Woodbine Mile is plenty more entertaining than the Cowboys.

It's hard for racing to avoid college football on Saturdays. Games start at 12noon EST and last well past 11pm EST.
Pro ball on Sundays has games that start at 1pm-4pm-around 7pm EST.

I feel your pain...LSU and Alabama often play on Br Cup Saturday, and I'm a Fighting Tiger baby...tough call.
yeah i lucked out last year, Arkansas played south Carolina the second the breeders cup classic went off.

and the year before we played south Carolina at the 11:30 game so we were over by the time the real racing started

i done expect them to not race at all on saturdays, just space some of their bigger races out on other days, at least try it. they are catering to people who do nothing but wager on horses. I mean i love me some horse racing but even i have other interests outside of horse racing.

duncan04
09-18-2011, 11:33 PM

Watch the game on tv and the race on the computer. Waa Laa!! Problem solved!! ;)

Cardus
09-18-2011, 11:39 PM
Somewhere in Internet Land, there must be an equally ridiculous thread in a College Football chat room bemoaning that college football doesn't move it's start times in order not to conflict with Thoroughbred racing post times.

toetoe
09-18-2011, 11:48 PM
Allow your humble 49'ers fan to remark that both the Cowgirls and the Whiners are awful. (:Holding nose.)

I didn't know that Harbaugh was so emotional. The rah-rah stuff wears thin, as was proven by Mike Singletary [honorable mention for Pete Carroll]. When the players look over at the coach, they should see a rock, not a guy that spends the whole game screaming his lungs out at the refs. He must lose 20 pounds per game. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

skate
09-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Run the Breeders on Saturday and Sunday:cool:

toussaud
09-19-2011, 02:22 PM
Run the Breeders on Saturday and Sunday:cool:
that would be so perfect it would make too much sense.

Reminds me of earlier this year when Gulfstream bucked the "everything revolves around us" trend and ran the Florida Derby on a Sunday. they had a great day as well.

dansan
09-19-2011, 04:47 PM
you ever hear of picture in picture TV lol

BlueShoe
09-19-2011, 05:14 PM
For myself, the schedule could not be better this time of year, but then again, I am an old fashioned contrarian. First of all, do not care for Saturday "Big Day" racing, days on which there are several stakes carded. Tend to make too many emotional rather than logical decisions when playing stake races, just do not do well in them, and never have. Best course of action is to skip Saturdays altogether, and do something else. That leads to the second part. Am a big college football fan, but have pretty much lost interest in pro football. The fall routine is to go out early and get the Sunday Form, come home and enjoy college football all day with the DRF in my lap and pen in hand. Yes, from time to time will make a quick switch to TVG to catch a specific race, and then back to the game. On BC day will be home doing this more often, just tuning in as the race is going off, skipping the in between race chatter.

dansan
09-19-2011, 05:26 PM
saturday is by far the best day of the week to play the ponies

thaskalos
09-19-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm more of a college guy. i will watch any college football game on TV, i love college football. I don't even consider watching races on saturdays.
I just wish horse racing would, move some races earlier or later in the day or move some of the bigger races during the week in the fall. there is so much going on regardless of what your "thing is". if you are a colelge basketball fan that's right around the corner. NBA, well never mind lol

October 1st and breeders cup saturday are the only two Saturdays this fall i will watch horse racing, and hell we play (arknasas) texas a and m, which will be a top 15 match up on the first, so now i got to hope that the game comes on later in the day or i'm in a real big pickle.

If you are in socal, are you going to go to fair plex, or are you going to watch the bills/radiers or the pats/chargers game?L not a hard decision to make

Look, horse racing is my passion, I Love the sport, seriously. But i mean come on.
Your comments, which I have highlighted above, are highly contradictory...IMO.

A horseplayer with a "true" passion for the sport would never express himself in such a manner...

I think you need to get your priorities straight...:)

Jeff P
09-19-2011, 05:56 PM
I just might be the only person over the age of 3 in my entire neighborhood who didn't watch a single down of football (college or pro) this past weekend.

It's not that I don't like football. I do. It's that there are only so many hrs in a day - and given a choice, I'd rather bet races.

-jp

BlueShoe
09-19-2011, 05:59 PM
Not for all of us. Much prefer "meat and potatoes" to "lobster and caviar". Others can have their graded stakes races, for myself, will take a field of older colts and geldings going for a mid level claiming price every time.

thaskalos
09-19-2011, 06:01 PM
I just might be the only person over the age of 3 in my entire neighborhood who didn't watch a single down of football (college or pro) this past weekend.

It's not that I don't like football. I do. It's that there are only so many hrs in a day - and given a choice, I'd rather bet races.

-jp

Now THAT'S more like it...:ThmbUp:

I, myself, have found that the more interested I became in horse racing...the more my interest in other sports waned.

Why be a spectator of things...when you can jump in and participate?

Life is so short...

toussaud
09-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Your comments, which I have highlighted above, are highly contradictory...IMO.

A horseplayer with a "true" passion for the sport would never express himself in such a manner...

I think you need to get your priorities straight...:)
you are not from the south, i would not expect you to understand. Football is a way of life.

Not watching my razorbacks, just is not a viable option. And in that regard, i'm a pretty avg guy. Good luck prying your avg, say, LSU football fan who is 40 years old and has been a LSU fan his entire life away from the TV the day after thanksgiving "(which is the day they play arknasas every year) so he can go to the fair grounds or watch the racing at aqueduct. It's not going to happen. I should not have to chose, ALL THE TIME. I mean theirs no way you are going to get a perfect schedule where nothing ever conflicts with something, but i should not every week have to feel like i'm missing out on something.

I am a member of an arknasas razorbakc forum and there is an entire section decidated to horse racing beucase of oaklawn.

EVERY. FREAKING.YEAR. it never fails, someone will raise the question...

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=422841.0

whatcha goin to do? The breeders cup or the south Carolina game (We play thm on breeders cup day every year). So it's not like ';m the only one that has this issue.

You can try to poke holes in my post all day long but i know i'm right on this issue and i know alot of people feel the exact same way i do. I consider myself a pretty hard core handicapper but at the same time, i have other interests as well.

Pace Cap'n
09-19-2011, 07:30 PM
You just need more TV's.

Broad Brush
09-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Super Bowl, Orange Bowl, Rose Bowl???

The only thing I know/care about any Bowl Game.....is that:

"Bowl Game" was a gelding who was Champion turf Horse of 1979.

toussaud
09-19-2011, 08:00 PM
You just need more TV's.
on saturdays i'm usually at the game and before that tailgating.

thaskalos
09-19-2011, 09:50 PM
on saturdays i'm usually at the game and before that tailgating.
That's the problem with you youngins...too much energy.

It's no accident that the average horseplayer is in his mid-50s...

GatetoWire
09-19-2011, 10:06 PM
No college football for me.

Talk about a corrupt sport. Makes horse racing look like angelic.

Players on the take.
Rampant drug use by the players.
Low graduation rates
Big conferences making millions off the student athlete.
Boosters

Need I say more. A sewer of corruption.

duncan04
09-19-2011, 10:25 PM
No college football for me.

Talk about a corrupt sport. Makes horse racing look like angelic.

Players on the take.
Rampant drug use by the players.
Low graduation rates
Big conferences making millions off the student athlete.
Boosters

Need I say more. A sewer of corruption.

College football has become the minors for the NFL

TommyCh
09-20-2011, 05:45 PM
College football: For those of you who live in places where college sports is the biggest thing you have, I MIGHT see it. College sports is SO distasteful, to put it kindly.

Sunday football: The only time I watch it is if I have a bet down, which is getting so hard to do as the NFL looks so much more and more like it's fixed; if nothing else, the lame-brained coaching and officiating usually adversely affects the outcomes. DVR is an excellent alternative. Watch a game and skip through commercials, halftime and whatnot, and it's like driving a big car that gets 85 miles per gallon. Much more efficient.

Racing on computer and football on TV is fine; if you flip to TVG for five minutes (you know the post times), chances are you miss nothing of the game. The second halves of these games are taking forever this year.

October 1 will be like a "5-furlong blowout" to get in game shape for Breeders Cup weekend.

elhelmete
09-20-2011, 05:51 PM
All horseracing nationwide should be limited to the day before and the day after the MLB All-Star game as to not conflict with any other pro sports game. Races could start at 12:01am and go off every six minutes.

Valuist
09-20-2011, 11:57 PM

Agree 100%. I'd rather bet on stakes, allowance and Maidens who don't have a ton of wear and tear on the tires. Maybe when they start publishing information on who's knee has been injected, I'll feel differently about claiming races.