PDA

View Full Version : BOOK SCANNER

HUSKER55
09-17-2011, 04:50 PM
I would like to scan some books on to a CD but when I started shopping for scanners I decided that I need to do some research.

Does anyone have a book scanner that they would recommend? and why?

The sales clerk told me I have to use a constant speed and I can't "rush the sytem". I was told that top resolution is 300, which seems low to me.

I am thinking that the ocr software would be the key. Like I said, I am just starting my research.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Tom
09-17-2011, 05:02 PM
You're going to scan a whole book, page by page?

Dave Schwartz
09-17-2011, 05:04 PM
You will not get through the first book before discarding this process. Trust me.

Those hand-held scanners (from my limited experience) simply will not do the job. If you are serious about this, then you must:

1. Get a fast, reliable scanner with an automatic document feeder
2. Detach all the pages from the book.
3. TRY to use the automatic document feeder. It may not work well.

Consider that at 30 seconds per page (plus editing time), a 200-page book will ONLY take you about 2 hours. That is the good news. The bad news is that I bet the net time per page will be 4 minutes or more, when you consider the necessary editing ON EACH PAGE.

Also, what about graphics?

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

HUSKER55
09-17-2011, 08:06 PM
iT would help if I could find someone who knew how to do this. The neighbor lady and Mary went rumaging and found a collection of books from mid 1930 "angie barton army nurse" is one of them. Those pages are drier than a popcorn fart and those books will get damaged if anyone tries to read them. There is about 40 books in the collection.

I am trying to salvage this so evereyone wins but I have no clue how to do this. Believe it or not I started by just going to the computer shop and took a shot with the first clerk who would listen to me.

The computer search I did came up with units from $700 to $250k. That is more than what I wanted to spend. ( I may have to make payments on the $250,000 model) :D :D

While I am content with ebooks, there are some people that might want the book itself. Also, there are a lot of people who might enjoy those stories again, or for the first time. I hate to see them wasted.

If anyone gets an idea or blunders across a good product, please keep me in mind.

thanks guys!

TexasDolly
09-17-2011, 08:12 PM
You might try contacting the people at "Project Gutenberg" . They have scanned
a very large number of old books and surely could provide a thought or two or maybe better yet a person to contact.
TD

Tom
09-17-2011, 09:24 PM
I wonder if you could re-hydrate them?
Put them in a damp area for a while? Maybe the net has some suggestions.

Found this place.....go to FAQ

http://www.bookrestoration.net/

HUSKER55
09-17-2011, 09:55 PM
THANKS FOR THE LINKS AND IDEAS.