PDA

View Full Version : Whats the biggest field size you've ever seen?

Zippy Chippy
09-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Is the max 20 in the US? They were just showing a british race on TVG that had 30 horses. The Royal Hunt Cup, which is just insanity to me. Whats the biggest field you've ever seen?

wisconsin
09-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Derby had 23 once

mannyberrios
09-16-2011, 08:53 PM
I have seen a couple of races from England that had 30 horses running. Wow!

Zippy Chippy
09-16-2011, 08:59 PM
I have seen a couple of races from England that had 30 horses running. Wow!

The announcer must be LOST!

dansan
09-16-2011, 09:02 PM
I've heard they have 3 announcers lol

andtheyreoff
09-16-2011, 09:20 PM
The British Grand National, which annually has a field size of 40, drew 66 horses for its 1929 running. I would find it hard to believe any field could top that.

nearco
09-16-2011, 09:54 PM
Don't see the insanity in a 30 horse field. Makes for great betting opportunities.
What would drive me insane is race after race after race after race on card after card after card after card with 7-8 horse fields. Talk about boring. The only thing that would make it worse is if all those races were all run in the same direction..... er, wait a minute.

Wanna see something cool? watch TVG ot HRTV tomorrow moring, and look for the 4th race at Newmarket, the Cesarwitch Trial. Should go off around 10:30 am ET. It's a 2m2f race around ONE turn. They run straight for a mile, then a 90 degree turn and straight for a 1m2f. There's only 18 runners in this one, but the actual Cesarwitch in Oct usually has 30+ runners, which makes for quite the cavalry charge. The race actually finishes in a different county than it and starts in.

Here is last year's Cesarwitch, 32 runners. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYHDmwkOxr0

newtothegame
09-16-2011, 10:26 PM
Derby here in the U.S is the largest field i've seen. Although in southern Louisiana, Evangeline usually has nice full fields ranging 10+ .....

Robert Fischer
09-16-2011, 11:30 PM
Don't see the insanity in a 30 horse field. Makes for great betting opportunities.
What would drive me insane is race after race after race after race on card after card after card after card with 7-8 horse fields. Talk about boring. The only thing that would make it worse is if all those races were all run in the same direction..... er, wait a minute.

Wanna see something cool? watch TVG ot HRTV tomorrow moring, and look for the 4th race at Newmarket, the Cesarwitch Trial. Should go off around 10:30 am ET. It's a 2m2f race around ONE turn. They run straight for a mile, then a 90 degree turn and straight for a 1m2f. There's only 18 runners in this one, but the actual Cesarwitch in Oct usually has 30+ runners, which makes for quite the cavalry charge. The race actually finishes in a different county than it and starts in.

Here is last year's Cesarwitch, 32 runners. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYHDmwkOxr0

wow

Robert Fischer
09-16-2011, 11:40 PM
The British Grand National, which annually has a field size of 40, drew 66 horses for its 1929 running. I would find it hard to believe any field could top that.

wow again

riskman
09-17-2011, 12:07 AM
If it is two legged creatures it would have to be the NYC Marathon with 45,000 finishers at an about distance of 26 miles.

Humph
09-17-2011, 05:02 AM
I visited Newmarket for the first time in quite a while last year and was glad to see that they've installed a large tv screen opposite the stands - in the old sreenless days viewing at the track was terrible , especially on the July course (there are two Newmarket tracks , the Rowley Mile and the July : both courses share common ground for the first mile , but then the track splits , either turning a sharp right up the July Course or a little further along it can turn into the Rowley Mile. From above Newmarket looks like a lopsided giant Y ).

As for large fields , the Grand National has a field limit of 40 - or least it did.

deathandgravity
09-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Went to the Melbourne Cup back in the early 80's. Think it was in the 30's.