PDA

View Full Version : eBook readers - opinions, thoughts, suggestions

DJofSD
09-16-2011, 10:44 AM
I have considered buying an eBook reader off and on for some time. I have not yet decided which one I might buy. I guess that is another way of saying I have no strong opinion which one I would like to own based upon reading about them on the internet.

For those that already have such a device, what is your opinion of what you purchased, good and bad? Do you know wish you had gone down some other road?

TIA

JBmadera
09-16-2011, 10:57 AM
LOVE the kindle, would never go back to paper. since my eyesight isn't that great anymore and I like to read outside the kindle has been a true godsend.
haven't tried any of the others.

only trouble is ordering too many books, I'm a sucker for the 99 cent sales.

TJDave
09-16-2011, 05:34 PM
I received a Kindle as a gift. I enjoy it though I probably wouldn't have spent the money on myself. I subscribe to a few magazines and newspapers and it's very convenient for that and also for loading up with 3 or 4 books to read on vacation. I like the fact you can read in direct sun, dislike that you can't read at night without a light. Kindle is supposed to comply with public library EBook loaning by the end of this year so that will be nice, also. Another plus is that Amazon seems to have the largest and least expensive selection of EBooks.

Tom
09-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Can you read PDF files on a Kindle?

JustRalph
09-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Can you read PDF files on a Kindle?

Kindle 2and beyond support PDF

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlZ9cqjzOik

The fancy ones with pics can be a formatting problem, but text based ones work fine

JustRalph
09-16-2011, 10:25 PM
Don't forget you can share your kindle books across machines via the kindle app

I read my kindle books on my iPad my pc and my kindle

It keeps track of the pages etc. All for one price per book. Buy it once use on all devices

DJofSD
09-19-2011, 09:54 AM
Thanks, all.

It appears that Kindle is a winner based upon the reponses posted here.

I'm curious to know why was the Nook not a consideration?

redshift1
09-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks, all.

It appears that Kindle is a winner based upon the reponses posted here.

I'm curious to know why was the Nook not a consideration?

The Nook is fine. My recommendation is get the lightest device if you read for extended periods it makes a big difference.

Currently the big distinction in e-readers is the type of screen:

E-ink (easier on the eyes but lacks color) Kindle and Nook are examples.

Backlit LCD (provides color) Ipad and Xoom are examples.

For reading only, the e-readers provide the lightest (weight) and most
comfortable reading option.

I have the first generation Kindle but hardly use it anymore. My tablet is my primary reading device.

Amazon is coming out with an Android reader in the next few weeks you might want to check it out.

Also all the new e-readers play Audiobooks as well a big plus especially if you join Audible.com.