PDA

View Full Version : Moneyball

Valuist
09-16-2011, 09:54 AM
Any of you interested in seeing it? Since it seems an overwhelming percentage of horse bettors started out as hardcore baseball fans. But it does seem funny that someone decided to make a movie about sabermetrics.

Should be a great date movie :lol: Nothing will put a woman in the mood more than asking questions about on base percentage and wins above replacement value.

Robert Goren
09-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Any of you interested in seeing it? Since it seems an overwhelming percentage of horse bettors started out as hardcore baseball fans. But it does seem funny that someone decided to make a movie about sabermetrics.

Should be a great date movie :lol: Nothing will put a woman in the mood more than asking questions about on base percentage and wins above replacement value.It does star Brad Pitt

Dave Schwartz
09-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Valu,

Absolutely! Day 1 for us!

BTW, saw Contagion last week. It was excellent!

If you see it, you will begin to wash your hands more. :bang:

Actor
09-16-2011, 01:20 PM
Contagion is excellent. Best movie since The King's Speech. I wish they had shown how such a crisis would affect the economy. What happens when millions are afraid to go to work?

Small digression for any English majors. Should I have used "effect" instead of "affect" in the above sentence?

Pace Cap'n
09-16-2011, 01:47 PM
The sentence is correct as written.

highnote
09-16-2011, 02:46 PM
I was working a distributors convention for Heineken about 7 or 8 years ago in Texas and Billy Bean was the keynote speaker. (By the way... all the free beer you could drink! Boy, was that a great gig! :D )

I didn't know who Billy Bean was, but he absolutely blew me away with his speech. I ran out and bought "Moneyball" the next day. It was the first book I had read by Michael Lewis. I think I've read all of his books now.

I read Beat The Dealer back in 1980 and after reading it I swore that if I ever got to be the GM of a professional sports team I would hire someone like Ed Thorp to use statistics to help make decisions about in-competition strategy.

So I was actually kind of pissed that I missed the boat on the trend of using statistics in sports. At least several teams in various sports now use sabermetrics. Also, there are companies that sell their statistical systems to professional sports teams.

I just assumed that the use of statistics was too far out of an idea for professional teams to take seriously. Never assume anything.

Blindside was a very good movie -- not as good as Michael Lewis' book -- but worth seeing. I expect Moneyball to be a good movie, too, but not as good as Lewis' book.

Actor
09-16-2011, 06:10 PM
The sentence is correct as written.Thank you.

Valuist
09-18-2011, 08:33 AM
It does star Brad Pitt

Thats a good point. They will probably be far more "ready" than us males. They'll be fantasizing about Brad Pitt while we will be pondering the merits of WAR.

chickenhead
09-18-2011, 11:58 AM
I enjoyed the book, but it does seem like an odd thing to make a movie about.