PDA

View Full Version : Parity gone?

Valuist
09-14-2011, 03:58 PM
7 spreads for week 2 of 7 points or more. That is quite a few. The parity things seems to come and go. Some years, there is parity. Then we had one year, 2005 I believe, where favorites covered almost 60% of the time. The preponderance of large spreads leads me to believe we're getting a larger disconnect in talent.

LottaKash
09-14-2011, 04:56 PM
7 spreads for week 2 of 7 points or more. That is quite a few. The parity things seems to come and go. Some years, there is parity. Then we had one year, 2005 I believe, where favorites covered almost 60% of the time. The preponderance of large spreads leads me to believe we're getting a larger disconnect in talent.

Valuist, would that be Line-making talent or Player talent...?

best,

Valuist
09-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Valuist, would that be Line-making talent or Player talent...?

best,

I would consider the abilities of the linemakers in Vegas and the Caribbean to be a constant. It isn't necessarily that the talent among players has changed; just that it is more concentrated. I also think we may be seeing the NFC becoming the better conference. For years the AFC was dominant; but you see a team like the Colts, a top team for years looks like a doormat; a doormat like Detroit would be appear to be significantly improved. Teams like Baltimore and Pittsburgh are getting long in the tooth. New England, while still strong, has questions on the defensive side of the ball. I would consider Green Bay and Philadelphia to be the two strongest teams in the NFL.

Robert Fischer
09-14-2011, 06:33 PM

the disparity of quality is exaggerated this year because the majority of the important teams have been given an easy schedule.

Valuist
09-14-2011, 09:23 PM
the disparity of quality is exaggerated this year because the majority of the important teams have been given an easy schedule.

Define "important teams". Those division winners from last year get to play other division winners. Sure you can make the case that KC and Chicago were division winners but not the best teams in their division, but other than that, who weren't worthy?