cj's dad
09-13-2011, 07:30 AM
Any plans this year by PA members ?

OTM Al
09-13-2011, 08:37 AM
I'll be there as usual

Linny
09-13-2011, 09:52 AM
I'll be going I'd like to meet some fellow PA'ers.

JustRalph
09-13-2011, 10:07 AM
damn it! can't get off work. The wife's out of town ........ not going to happen this year

classhandicapper
09-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Where does everyone meet?

I'll probably be there.

cj's dad
09-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Where does everyone meet?

I'll probably be there.

Typically we meet on the 3rd level at the finish line back row. Al got the tix last year, I did the same prior to that and folks simply reimbursed the $5 (?).

I missed last year for the first time in about 7 years.

Hope to attend this year. I will know next week.

For those who have never attended it is usually a very good day of racing.

RaceBookJoe
09-13-2011, 12:25 PM
I might actually be there, not sure yet. I am a small part owner of a horse running on 10/2 in the Miss Grillo, so i might go a day earlier for the JCGC. rbj

point given
09-13-2011, 05:36 PM
I'm hoping to attend this year and would also like to meet up with PAers.

classhandicapper
09-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Typically we meet on the 3rd level at the finish line back row. Al got the tix last year, I did the same prior to that and folks simply reimbursed the $5 (?).

I missed last year for the first time in about 7 years.

Hope to attend this year. I will know next week.

For those who have never attended it is usually a very good day of racing.

Someone should keep this thread active as the day approaches so we can make plans. I'm close to 100% to be there that day and I'd like to meet everyone.

cj's dad
09-13-2011, 07:55 PM
If those interested are really nice and PM OTMAl, he might buy a handful of tix like he did last year and we can all meet up at the pre-designated spot in the 3rd deck.

MickJ26
09-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Are interlopers welcome?

thespaah
09-13-2011, 09:10 PM
I miss going to Belmont because I live here. I'd like to go for Super Saturday but for some reason something ALWAYS comes up.
This year I am going on a golf trip just two weeks after Super Saturday.
I am going to try like hell to get there.

riskman
09-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Planning to be at Belmont on Saturday, October 1. Looking forward to the five Grade 1 races – the Jockey Club Gold Cup, Joe Hirsch Turf Classic, Flower Bowl, Beldame, and Vosburgh.Should be a fun day and would like to meet up with the PA members. Will check the board for updates.

proximity
09-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Are interlopers welcome?

complete the initiation and you will be welcomed!!:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdFLPn30dvQ

GatetoWire
09-13-2011, 11:44 PM
I am going to be there for sure. The card is going to be fantastic.

OTM Al
09-14-2011, 09:03 AM
I'll take care of getting tickets, but don't want to get stuck with a pocketful this year, so if you want one post here by the 21st (a week from today) FOLLOWING this post with the magic phrase "Al, I want a ticket".

I think they are only $5 if I remember right and are very good seats. I will also try to wrangle up some trips to a place or two of interest for our ticket holders, so if you are interested in that, wear a nice shirt and slacks for guys and the social equivalent for ladies.

cj's dad
09-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks Al, I'll take two !

cj's dad
09-15-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks Al, I'll take two !

Make that 4 !!

GatetoWire
09-15-2011, 10:47 PM
Al: I will need just 1 seat.

Thanks for hooking me up

Mike

JustRalph
09-15-2011, 10:50 PM
I will know something tomorrow afternoon

Trying to get off work

PaceAdvantage
09-16-2011, 03:41 AM
There's a really darn good chance that I'll be there...will know more in a few days...

Robert Fischer
09-16-2011, 04:06 AM
any noms or /pps out yet?

^^PA you have me cracking up in the other thread

JustRalph
09-16-2011, 10:16 AM
i got off work.........looks like it's a go

OTM Al
09-16-2011, 12:03 PM
any noms or /pps out yet?

Nominations should be available on NYRA site soon. Here is where to look

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbHorsemenAreaDownload.cfm?track=BEL&area=USA&STYLE=BEL

classhandicapper
09-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Al, I will take 2 tickets please.

OTM Al
09-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Last Call!

by my count I have

cj's dad: 4 (including JustRalph)
classhandicapper: 2
GatetoWire: 1

Anyone else? PA you coming?

PaceAdvantage
09-21-2011, 09:10 AM
Yup, looks like I'm gonna need a ticket too! Thanks!

SOUTHERN SLEW
09-21-2011, 09:32 AM
Yes I will be at Belmont on 10/1 and it would be a pleasure to meet fellow PA members, just let me know where you will be sitting and I will come over and say hello

cj's dad
09-21-2011, 01:09 PM
From OTMAl's link:
http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqb...a=USA&STYLE=BEL (http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbHorsemenAreaDownload.cfm?track=BEL&area=USA&STYLE=BEL)

Potentially a great day of racing;

Uncle Mo
Flat Out
Havre De grace
Life At Ten
Looking At Lucky
Stay Thirsty
Game On Dude
Tizway
Gio Ponti
Drosslemeyer
Ice Box
Rule

PhantomOnTour
09-21-2011, 01:15 PM
From OTMAl's link:
http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqb...a=USA&STYLE=BEL (http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbHorsemenAreaDownload.cfm?track=BEL&area=USA&STYLE=BEL)

Potentially a great day of racing;

Uncle Mo
Flat Out
Havre De grace
Life At Ten
Looking At Lucky
Stay Thirsty
Game On Dude
Tizway
Gio Ponti
Drosslemeyer
Ice Box
Rule
Looking At Lucky?

OTM Al
09-21-2011, 01:16 PM
Not sure the big race is going to be all that spectacular with many of the top 3yos going elsewhere, but thinking the other races should be quite good.

point given
09-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Last Call!

by my count I have

Anyone else? PA you coming?

Yes, please . 1 for myself.

Anyone coming in from New Jersey ?

GatetoWire
09-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Not sure the big race is going to be all that spectacular with many of the top 3yos going elsewhere, but thinking the other races should be quite good.

Should be a great day.
Stay Thirsty taking on Tizway and Flat Out in the JCGC
Cape Blanco and Winchester in the Joe Hirsch
Uncle Mo and Jackson Bend in the Kelso
Big Drama and Trappe Shot in the Vosburgh
Havre De Grace and Royal Delta in the Beldame
A nice group of turf fillies in the Flower Bowl

Outside on the BC, this should be the best day of the year for Grade 1's

nijinski
09-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Yes, please . 1 for myself.

Anyone coming in from New Jersey ?
Should know for sure by tonight , and yes from Bergen County.
OTM r u getting the tickets today because I should know by tonight if I need 2 or three seats.

cj's dad
09-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Looking At Lucky?

Meant Blind Luck - get a life

Robert Fischer
09-21-2011, 03:02 PM
nice card

OTM Al
09-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Should know for sure by tonight , and yes from Bergen County.
OTM r u getting the tickets today because I should know by tonight if I need 2 or three seats.

No probably will get them tomorrow or friday, just want to get it taken care of. Let me know and I'll add you in if you want to go.

Forgot about Stay Thirsty, but I just don't like him. Love to see the rest on that list actually show up though.

point given
09-21-2011, 06:49 PM

Forgot about Stay Thirsty, but I just don't like him. Love to see the rest on that list actually show up though.
PA Derby likely to To Honor and Serve, Rattlesnake Bridge and Ruler on Ice from what I've read

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbHorsemenAreaDownloadAction.cfm?sn=SN-BEL-20111001-505064

classhandicapper
09-21-2011, 07:14 PM
No probably will get them tomorrow or friday, just want to get it taken care of. Let me know and I'll add you in if you want to go.

I go to Belmont during the week from time to time. If you are often there, I'd be happy to meet you and pay for my tickets before then.

nijinski
09-21-2011, 11:16 PM

OTM , I can't get a commitment yet from a third party yet so I'm going to have to get seats when I get there . I appreciate the offer though and will definately come over to fnially meet you guys when I get there.

Zaf
09-21-2011, 11:36 PM
Wow sounds like a blast , wish I could go , but have to be in Halifax from Thursday to Sunday. Dennis, Jeff and Andy can't make it either. Already have my plane ticket and seats for BC, hope to see some of you there.

Z

OTM Al
09-22-2011, 08:36 AM
OTM , I can't get a commitment yet from a third party yet so I'm going to have to get seats when I get there . I appreciate the offer though and will definately come over to fnially meet you guys when I get there.

I'll get two extra anyway, so if you can come, they are yours. If not, no big deal

nijinski
09-22-2011, 12:15 PM
I'll get two extra anyway, so if you can come, they are yours. If not, no big deal
Much appeciated!!

OTM Al
09-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Ok, final count I got

PaceAdvantage: 1
point given :1
nijinski: 2

Including me, that's 12 total. Last chance as I'm going to purchase tomorrow.

As an added bonus JCGC day is NYRA vintage giveaway day. Get a freebie from the past giveaways with a paid admission!

cj's dad
09-22-2011, 01:08 PM
Al, are you going for the 3rd deck at the finish line back row ?

OTM Al
09-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Al, are you going for the 3rd deck at the finish line back row ?

Yep Grandstand side right near the food court area, which I might add is much better than it used to be. I'll ask for as near to the back as I can get

cj's dad
09-22-2011, 01:32 PM
You the man.

thespaah
09-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Should be a great day.

HA!...This IS the damned Breeders Cup!
I wish I could be there ,but I have a golf trip I've scheduled two weeks afterward. Don't have enough coin for both trips.
Pencil me in for next year for sure!

point given
09-24-2011, 12:13 AM
Should be a great day.

D
Scratch tizway from the JCGC and possibly Royal Delta from the Beldame as Mott may run her at Keeneland

http://www.drf.com/news/tizway-miss-jockey-club-gold-cup-belmont-will-target-bc-classic

precocity
09-24-2011, 05:11 AM
D
Scratch tizway from the JCGC and possibly Royal Delta from the Beldame as Mott may run her at Keeneland

http://www.drf.com/news/tizway-miss-jockey-club-gold-cup-belmont-will-target-bc-classic
really wanted to see tizway run said he had a fever!!! :bang:

OTM Al
09-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Tickets are procured. Should be easy to remember. 3rd Floor, Section J, Row J

classhandicapper
09-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Tickets are procured. Should be easy to remember. 3rd Floor, Section J, Row J

Thanks

nijinski
09-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Kelso owns the JCGC , he won it 60 - 64. Back then it was a mile and a half ,
stamina was a must.
Something else I won't forget is Charles Whittingham skipping it with Sunday Silence. I remember an article quoting him mentioning that since Easy Goer
was running in it , then EG would not be able to beat SS win the BC Classic .
He was right but Easy Goer and connections were not disgraced in the
Classic he still ran with heart and that was after winning the JCGC.

the little guy
09-25-2011, 04:21 PM

No, it was two miles.

nijinski
09-25-2011, 04:47 PM
No, it was two miles.
I'm corected it was scaled back twice Two miles when Kelso ran it . Mile and a half for Easy Goer .

turninforhome10
09-25-2011, 05:00 PM
I really wanted to see Tizway, this horse is the very defintion of hard luck. I am beginning to think he is not fond of the cool weather in New York as he seems his best when it hot and humid.

nijinski
09-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Different race but....
Uncle Mo Turns in Blistering Half-Mile
From Blloodhorse today he blazed a half in 46.57 and Pletcher implied it was faster than he would have like but still happy with Mo .. So is Pletcher really not too happy with Velasquez right now or is he bluffing ?

nijinski
09-25-2011, 05:23 PM
I really wanted to see Tizway, this horse is the very defintion of hard luck. I am beginning to think he is not fond of the cool weather in New York as he seems his best when it hot and humid.

Right now he can have that it's really not cool here in NY , pretty humid.
Since Tizway had work on that hoof problem that plagued him earlier in his career , he's been looking good. Hope it's not another foot issue , but Bond seems to be heading straight to the BC.

Jasonm921
09-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Al, burrito and a corona for 9 bucks up in the food court. Not a bad deal.

OTM Al
09-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Al, burrito and a corona for 9 bucks up in the food court. Not a bad deal.

I like that burrito place but each of the places there has something similar.

turninforhome10
09-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Right now he can have that it's really not cool here in NY , pretty humid.
Since Tizway had work on that hoof problem that plagued him earlier in his career , he's been looking good. Hope it's not another foot issue , but Bond seems to be heading straight to the BC.
Good, I just hope he is not to fresh that is a long race for him.

Cardus
09-25-2011, 10:16 PM
stamina was a must.
Something else I won't forget is Charles Whittingham skipping it with Sunday Silence. I remember an article quoting him mentioning that since Easy Goer
was running in it , then EG would not be able to beat SS win the BC Classic .
He was right but Easy Goer and connections were not disgraced in the
Classic he still ran with heart and that was after winning the JCGC.

Not only were you wrong about the Gold Cup distance for Kelso, but Whittingham did not want to run in the Gold Cup because he thought that the 1 1/2 of the Gold Cup was not a suitable race leading into the 10 furlongs Breeders' Cup Classic.

He was right.

Also, of course, he was in the position to have a horse who handled turns better than Easy Goer, and had been beaten by Easy Goer on his home track in June. (That said, Whittingham said years later that Sunday Silence's feet were sore before the Belmont Stakes. That is what he said during an interview, at least.)

nijinski
09-25-2011, 11:43 PM
Not only were you wrong about the Gold Cup distance for Kelso, but Whittingham did not want to run in the Gold Cup because he thought that the 1 1/2 of the Gold Cup was not a suitable race leading into the 10 furlongs Breeders' Cup Classic.

He was right.

Also, of course, he was in the position to have a horse who handled turns.

better than Easy Goer, and had been beaten by Easy Goer on his home track in June. (That said, Whittingham said years later that Sunday Silence's feet were sore before the Belmont Stakes. That is what he said during an interview, at least.)

"My colt will win," Whittingham said on the eve of the Classic. "He's fresher than Easy Goer, he's quicker, and I know from experience that the longer races are harder on a horse than the shorter ones. Easy Goer just had a long one. You don't get over them so easy."

Above From Sports Illustrated Vault. Remember EG just came up slightly short , ran incredible despite the JCGC win , that's all i"m sayin.

Cardus correct Two miles which The Little Guy brought to my attention and yes Whittingham did avoid it , Shug wanted to pass as well but Phipps had people In NY to keep happy.

classhandicapper
09-26-2011, 10:00 AM
I more or less think Tizway is a toss in the Classic now. IMO he has been the best horse in the country (off his two recent races), but he's at least mildly suspect at 10F, especially if it winds up being a competitive pace that he has to move into (which is usually the case because of the deeper and higher than average quality field). Throw in a missed race and layoff on top of that and I think someone will pick him up late unless no one can fire a legitimate Grade 1 race.

classhandicapper
09-26-2011, 10:05 AM
(That said, Whittingham said years later that Sunday Silence's feet were sore before the Belmont Stakes. That is what he said during an interview, at least.)

I think the biggest reason Sunday Silence lost was the big sweeping turns at Belmont negated some of Sunday Silence's speed advantage on the turns in general and because Belmont just happened (ahem) to come up favoring deeper outside closers that day for the home team.

point given
09-26-2011, 11:35 AM
A new NYRA website , click on one of 10 featured horses

http://www.nyra.com/belmont/supersaturday/index.html

OTM Al
09-27-2011, 09:13 AM
Current forcast for Saturday: Mostly sunny, high of 66. Sounds about perfect.

cj's dad
09-27-2011, 09:15 AM
Al, when is first post ? What time do the gates open ?

We plan on leaving Baltimore at 7. Hope to be there at 11.

OTM Al
09-27-2011, 09:20 AM

We plan on leaving Baltimore at 7. Hope to be there at 11.

The place usually opens at 11:30 (lots open at 11:15) and first post is 1. I say usually because I swear I saw something that it was going to be moved up half an hour that day, but I'm not finding it anywhere right now. I will look into it.

cj
09-27-2011, 09:28 AM
I more or less think Tizway is a toss in the Classic now. IMO he has been the best horse in the country (off his two recent races), but he's at least mildly suspect at 10F, especially if it winds up being a competitive pace that he has to move into (which is usually the case because of the deeper and higher than average quality field). Throw in a missed race and layoff on top of that and I think someone will pick him up late unless no one can fire a legitimate Grade 1 race.

I thought the same about Invasor. Didn't he take this same route?

Tom
09-27-2011, 09:39 AM
He eeez the best!

OTM Al
09-27-2011, 10:17 AM
First Post 12:30 on Saturday. Only place I can find it is in the Brochure and since I trust the person who puts that together, I believe that to be correct!

classhandicapper
09-27-2011, 06:26 PM
I thought the same about Invasor. Didn't he take this same route?

Yea, I liked Invasor until he got sick and missed a race. I didn't bet him at that price. :bang: I still think it's a negative to miss a race, especially when I feel unsure about the horse really wanting 10F.

cj
09-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Yea, I liked Invasor until he got sick and missed a race. I didn't bet him at that price. :bang: I still think it's a negative to miss a race, especially when I feel unsure about the horse really wanting 10F.

I agree, I'm just wondering these days if missing a big race is really a bad thing any longer. Half the time I don't believe the trainers anyway, they just want to skip the race.

classhandicapper
09-27-2011, 06:48 PM
I agree, I'm just wondering these days if missing a big race is really a bad thing any longer. Half the time I don't believe the trainers anyway, they just want to skip the race.

I don't like it in Grade 1 races.

For most races if the best horse is close to his best he can win anyway, but at the Grade 1 level, it seems so many horses are geared up for a peak, if you aren't 100% you'll usually come up a little short (kind of like Uncle Mo).

thespaah
09-27-2011, 10:54 PM

We plan on leaving Baltimore at 7. Hope to be there at 11.It's 200 miles...Better leave at 6. You'll make Exit 13 off the NJ turnpike in 2.5 hrs...The rest of the trip could take 45 mins or it could take 2 hrs. Really....The traffic on the Belt Parkway could be THAT bad.
Have fun at the track. Wish I could go this year..... :mad:

nijinski
09-27-2011, 11:08 PM
CJ's Dad should be celebrated in the winners circle by NYRA ,for all that traveling he does in support of the sport. A truly dedicated fan !

cj's dad
09-28-2011, 09:26 AM
CJ's Dad should be celebrated in the winners circle by NYRA ,for all that traveling he does in support of the sport. A truly dedicated fan !

Thanks for the kind words. I do it because I love going to new places and some old ones plus the number of very nice and interesting folks I have met over the years is priceless. To list a few:

OTMAL- JustRalph- PA- Grits-Tom-RedKnave-BillW-Sam I am-joeprunes-TedCraven and mom-Charlie&John-Storm Cadet-Trijack-Lamboguy- Bubbles and his dad Silver Sow- Andicap- Buddah- Offtrack- Track Collector-Proximity-Falconridge-MarylandOwner-Dave Schwartz-The little guy-Miesque-Zaf and his friends Jeff and Andy-PTtruckDriver-Bettowin-Joetb- -RRBauer (RIP)

I know I may have missed some - sorry.

OTM Al
09-28-2011, 09:31 AM
To list a few:

TedCraven and mom.

Point of order. Official Craven family designation is now Barb and son Ted. I think she once again did better than everyone this year. That's something like 3 years running.

Grits
09-28-2011, 09:57 AM
I'll miss all of you in a big way on Saturday, on this fantastic day of racing. So much so. For this girl, a month in Saratoga, and a two day delay leaving for home, due to Irene coming inland Upstate, was enough back and forth to NY for awhile.

The drive is long, and I've done it more times than I can count in the last 12 years.:faint:

CjD, you and Ralph enjoy the comforts of your ride up on your charter bus. I know that you do each year. Don't recall your arriving late either.;)

I'd love to get back to Kentucky. The drive west is further, but not half as tiring.

You guys have a blast and cash a lot of tickets. XOXOXs to all of you.

g

Thanks for the kind words. I do it because I love going to new places and some old ones plus the number of very nice and interesting folks I have met over the years is priceless. To list a few:

OTMAL- JustRalph- PA- Grits-Tom-RedKnave-BillW-Sam I am-joeprunes-TedCraven and mom-Charlie&John-Storm Cadet-Trijack-Lamboguy- Bubbles and his dad Silver Sow- Andicap- Buddah- Offtrack- Track Collector-Proximity-Falconridge-MarylandOwner-Dave Schwartz-The little guy-Miesque-Zaf and his friends Jeff and Andy-PTtruckDriver-Bettowin-Joetb- -RRBauer (RIP)

I know I may have missed some - sorry.

cj's dad
09-28-2011, 10:27 AM
No bus trip Grits. That takes place on Belmont Staked day.

Saturday Ralph is driving along with myself and two other degenerate horse players.

Zippy Chippy
09-28-2011, 10:39 AM
If you get an extra ticket PM me by Friday. I'll come down. Ugh didn't notice this thread til today.

Grits
09-28-2011, 11:06 AM
I thought this was your charter. I've not read every post in the thread. I'm sorry. Either way, you guys enjoy and have a safe trip.

No bus trip Grits. That takes place on Belmont Staked day.

Saturday Ralph is driving along with myself and two other degenerate horse players.

Zippy Chippy
09-28-2011, 12:25 PM
I'm just gonna head down anyway. Someone pm me their phone number. What time do you go to the track

cj's dad
09-30-2011, 12:39 PM
Level 3 - Section - J Row - J

Chance of rain. We are under cover.

point given
09-30-2011, 01:43 PM
Level 3 - Section - J Row - J

Chance of rain. We are under cover.h

Sh........................... !

Saturday
http://icons-ak.wxug.com/i/c/k/rain.gif ("")Showers likely. Highs in the mid 60s. North winds 5 to 10 mph...becoming west 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 60 percent

OTM Al
09-30-2011, 01:50 PM
It was supposed to have moved through today. Must have stalled out. The sun has been a rare thing around here lately

JustRalph
09-30-2011, 02:26 PM
crap........ goin to have to wear my obama hoodie..............

http://i1.cpcache.com/product/480474846/president_obama_hoodie.jpg?color=White

OTM Al
09-30-2011, 02:56 PM
For those interested, the final race of the day will have something not seen for a while. My friend's horse Sandyinthesun in the 11th race will be ridden by Robbie Davis. I thought when he emailed me yesterday he meant Jackie as Robbie is the trainer, but DRF entries has been updated to list R. Davis.

OTM Al
09-30-2011, 04:09 PM
I need to take this last one back. Read the wrong line on the entries, so maybe what I thought initially was true.

point given
09-30-2011, 06:49 PM
I need to take this last one back. Read the wrong line on the entries, so maybe what I thought initially was true.e

BRIS pps Jackie Davis listed to ride

PaceAdvantage
09-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Latest forecast states showers, mainly before 10am...which is a good thing...

OTM Al
09-30-2011, 09:54 PM
e

BRIS pps Jackie Davis listed to ride

Also listed to ride 6 at Suffolk. Looks like it might be true

Cardus
09-30-2011, 09:56 PM
Latest forecast states showers, mainly before 10am...which is a good thing...

Who cares? Apparently, the card stinks.

nijinski
09-30-2011, 10:18 PM
Also listed to ride 6 at Suffolk. Looks like it might be true
R Davis is listed as trainer , I saw that at Saratoga closing weekend as well.

nijinski
09-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Just read that Sandyinthesun is definately Robbie Davis' first starter as a trainer. It was him I saw at the Spa but didn't quite recognize.
Anything is possible though because Robbie does want to ride again.
I saw Al mentioned Robbie earlier Robbie trained the horse.

cj's dad
09-30-2011, 11:02 PM
Who cares? Apparently, the card stinks.You post this bulls--t and then you start this thread:

Jockey Club Gold Cup Card: Terrific.
Jockey Club Gold Cup Day, always an important day of racing, once again is a terrific card on which intelligent handicappers and passionate fans -- who have proper perspective -- can focus, enjoy, and thrive.

Since Belmont Park is in New York State, it is reasonable to begin the day with a large, state-bred race for two-year-olds -- hence, fresh faces, not retreads ( I said retreads) -- on turf, which routinely produces realistic possibilities for nice payoffs. Looking at the breeding of many entrants, you can envision a reasonably competitive race.

Two additional races by two-year-olds follow: both are Maiden Special Weight fields. Both fields -- in both theory and reality -- are suitable for a big race day. Showcasing the future is hardly disappointing on this day.

The fourth race is suspect, no doubt. At least you are handicapping a large field on the turf.

With a strong 6/5 morning line favorite, the Flower Bowl drew eight horses.

The Turf Classic is a short field. It does, however, have a 4/5 morning line choice. Among the other five horses, there are two multiple Grade One winners, a Grade One winner who is also Grade One placed, a dual Grade Two winner, and a stakes winner who is Grade One placed.

Vosburgh: Got better? Show me where.

The Kelso -- which should be on the grass, but that is for another thread -- has the Cigar Mile champ, the best 7F horse in the country on dirt currently, and the reigning two-year-old champ who ran a fantastic comeback in a Grade One last month.

Sure, the Beldame is light: Have de Grace is running in it. For the uninformed, she is a frontrunner for Horse-of-the-Year. The Grade One Alabama Stakes winner is in the field, too.

Is the Gold Cup on par with the historical standard for this grand race? No. How many races -- in this era, where, as it was pointed out, owners and trainers routinely "duck" each other -- measure up to their standards of yesteryear? How many?

Considering how little historical perspective and proper context exists in Internet Land, I am not surprised that this card rates as "disappointing" or worse.

Enjoy the day of terrific racing at Belmont Park.

Cardus
09-30-2011, 11:57 PM
You post this bulls--t and then you start this thread:

Jockey Club Gold Cup Card: Terrific.
Jockey Club Gold Cup Day, always an important day of racing, once again is a terrific card on which intelligent handicappers and passionate fans -- who have proper perspective -- can focus, enjoy, and thrive.

Since Belmont Park is in New York State, it is reasonable to begin the day with a large, state-bred race for two-year-olds -- hence, fresh faces, not retreads ( I said retreads) -- on turf, which routinely produces realistic possibilities for nice payoffs. Looking at the breeding of many entrants, you can envision a reasonably competitive race.

Two additional races by two-year-olds follow: both are Maiden Special Weight fields. Both fields -- in both theory and reality -- are suitable for a big race day. Showcasing the future is hardly disappointing on this day.

The fourth race is suspect, no doubt. At least you are handicapping a large field on the turf.

With a strong 6/5 morning line favorite, the Flower Bowl drew eight horses.

The Turf Classic is a short field. It does, however, have a 4/5 morning line choice. Among the other five horses, there are two multiple Grade One winners, a Grade One winner who is also Grade One placed, a dual Grade Two winner, and a stakes winner who is Grade One placed.

Vosburgh: Got better? Show me where.

The Kelso -- which should be on the grass, but that is for another thread -- has the Cigar Mile champ, the best 7F horse in the country on dirt currently, and the reigning two-year-old champ who ran a fantastic comeback in a Grade One last month.

Sure, the Beldame is light: Have de Grace is running in it. For the uninformed, she is a frontrunner for Horse-of-the-Year. The Grade One Alabama Stakes winner is in the field, too.

Is the Gold Cup on par with the historical standard for this grand race? No. How many races -- in this era, where, as it was pointed out, owners and trainers routinely "duck" each other -- measure up to their standards of yesteryear? How many?

Considering how little historical perspective and proper context exists in Internet Land, I am not surprised that this card rates as "disappointing" or worse.

Enjoy the day of terrific racing at Belmont Park.

You can't be this obtuse.

Oy vey.

thespaah
10-01-2011, 12:53 AM
Latest forecast states showers, mainly before 10am...which is a good thing...Just looked at the long range radar mosaic in the National Weather Service website.
Precip is moving south to north with little easterly movement.
Forecast map...fronts....http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/national_forecast/natfcst.php
This is the current surface map....Look at the east coast. Not good for tomorrow. Hopefully, the rain will not be steady.
http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/sfcloop/radsfcus_exp_test.html
I think it sucks that such a great day of racing is going to be affected by bad weather.

PaceAdvantage
10-01-2011, 02:53 AM
I'm looking at the radar right now, and it does look like the rain will be outta here by morning...

PhantomOnTour
10-01-2011, 05:30 PM
The odds on this race seem all messed up:

7-1 on Ice Box?
5-2 on Flat Out/Birdrun?
11-1 on Rodman?

Some_One
10-01-2011, 05:43 PM
On Betfair, Flat out is 9-5 (only him, no entry) and ST is 2-1 currently.

Robert Fischer
10-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Flat out is in GOOD FORM.

rodman is interesting underneath

toussaud
10-01-2011, 05:46 PM
stay thirsty birdrun box.

toussaud
10-01-2011, 05:49 PM
boy this handicap division is something horrible.

goes also to show just how bad 3YO crop is going 2 turns.

Tom
10-01-2011, 05:50 PM
I think Stay Thirsty is an X-2 - O throw out.

I think A.U. Miner is sitting a new top.
Flat Out regressed and then cam back most, but not all the way - good sign for new move forward.

The race comes down to :6: :1:

:2: Ice Box could improve enough to pass tired horses and take the show spot.

Robert Fischer
10-01-2011, 05:52 PM
was gonna LOAD UP on flat-out / 356 but pussy'd-out

tempting to stab , but u have to pick your spots

i didn't get a good bet all day. biggest play was Jackson Bend to place for pennies

KirisClown
10-01-2011, 06:13 PM
P4rfrI1YLls

JustRalph
10-01-2011, 11:51 PM
Good company, good fun........nice to see everyone :jump:

I would like to apologize on behalf of myself and "The Noz"

We got carried away ........

Thanks much to Al and his wife

thespaah
10-02-2011, 12:51 AM
I see the attendance was just a bit over 10k....Was the weather a factor in keeping people away?
Shame...Super Saturday is probably the second most important T-Bred racing day in New York or possibly the entire nation( Save the BC)..

cj's dad
10-02-2011, 02:15 AM
You can't be this obtuse.

Oy vey.

Isn't obtuse the opposite of acute ?

Your attempts at humor/sarcasm are limited at best.

Valuist
10-02-2011, 09:24 AM
I see the attendance was just a bit over 10k....Was the weather a factor in keeping people away?
Shame...Super Saturday is probably the second most important T-Bred racing day in New York or possibly the entire nation( Save the BC)..

Probably the weather and small fields. Weather causes a bunch of turf races to come off the turf and the majority of the other races are small fields. The Vosburgh looked bettable but when you see race after race of likely unbeatable even money shots or lower, its hard to get excited.

Besides, on track attendance doesn't mean much anyways. Doesn't much of the general area get either TVG or HRTV where if they didn't want to bet but wanted to watch, they could do it from the comfort of home?

classhandicapper
10-02-2011, 10:02 AM
It was a pleasure to finally meet a bunch of you guys. :ThmbUp:

cj's dad
10-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Same here CH and your lady. Shout out also to Point Given and Njinski and friend. Also good seeing old friends AL, Mike, Gate To Wire and Storm Cadet.

Thanks to JustRalph for the limo service (3:15 up and 3:30 return- easy hike) and his ever trustworthy Tom-Tom.;)

JustRalph
10-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Thanks to JustRalph for the limo service (3:15 up and 3:30 return- easy hike) and his ever trustworthy Tom-Tom.;)

Thanks for bringing the "Mike Mike" where would be without it ? :lol:

Btw, ........ I am on for Cup day!

JustRalph
10-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Thanks for bringing the "Mike Mike" where would be without it ? :lol:

Btw, ........ I am on for Cup day!

John John......wasn't much better..........

nijinski
10-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Same here CH and your lady. Shout out also to Point Given and Njinski and friend. Also good seeing old friends AL, Mike, Gate To Wire and Storm Cadet.

Same here , finally got to meet you guys and a had a super time . You are all
great company and thanks for the shout out.

Cardus
10-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Isn't obtuse the opposite of acute ?

Your attempts at humor/sarcasm are limited at best.

Your reply makes little contextual sense.

You ENTIRELY missed the boat on this series of posts, and to any intelligent person, this is clear.

Your attempts at comprehension are limited. Period.

PaceAdvantage
10-03-2011, 12:06 AM
Same here , finally got to meet you guys and a had a super time . You are all
great company and thanks for the shout out.It was great meeting up with all the aforementioned folks, many for the first time...although I froze my ass off towards the latter part of the card dressed in shorts and a short sleeve shirt (a Belmont veteran like me should have known it was going to be colder than it looked, but it was sunny by my house when I left and the forecast was for about 70 degrees....a totally rookie mistake on my part... :lol: )

Special thanks once again goes to Al and his better half for landing us the seats and some goodies... :ThmbUp:

cj's dad
10-03-2011, 01:36 AM
Your reply makes little contextual sense.

You ENTIRELY missed the boat on this series of posts, and to any intelligent person, this is clear.

Your attempts at comprehension are limited. Period.

OK, I am not intelligent. In fact I am a low IQ moron. Get off this thread about folks having a good time at Belmont and start a new thread entitled "cj's dad is an idiot" and we can go back and forth there. Have a really nice day.

PaceAdvantage
10-03-2011, 01:46 AM
OK, I am not intelligent. In fact I am a low IQ moron. Get off this thread about folks having a good time at Belmont and start a new thread entitled "cj's dad is an idiot" and we can go back and forth there. Have a really nice day.You said it better than I could have...and you're a clever man to boot, as you know such a thread would be immediately deleted... :lol:

cj's dad
10-03-2011, 02:02 AM
Hey Mike, did you enjoy the Ravens vs. J-E-T-S Jets - Jets - Jets - Game ?

:lol::lol::lol:

PaceAdvantage
10-03-2011, 02:37 AM
I was so deflated after the Yankee game, I didn't even watch...

onefast99
10-03-2011, 07:21 AM
I was so deflated after the Yankee game, I didn't even watch...
Agree both teams didn't show up.

thespaah
10-03-2011, 10:27 AM

:lol::lol::lol:The Jets looked like crap. Practice is not going to be fun this week.

Valuist
10-03-2011, 11:27 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

Damn that Raven D isn't aging. Ed Reed is a monster.

cj's dad
10-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Agree both teams didn't show up.

Oh contrare!

Both D's were on their game which took the offenses off theirs.

PaceAdvantage
10-06-2011, 06:51 AM
A couple of choice photos from the day - first the serious photo...and then the goofball photo (note there are only two goofballs in the second photo): From top to bottom, l-r:

Mike (not a member), Moi, JustRalph
nijinsky, cj's dad, point given
OTM Al, GatetoWire

PaceAdvantage
10-06-2011, 06:52 AM
Two goofs + the sensible bunch

JustRalph
10-06-2011, 12:26 PM
If you could pan the camera up and right ten degrees you could see TLG doing his on camera show.........

nijinski
10-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Couple of hams in the back of the pack I see. :D

cj
10-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Shouldn't that photo be in the "Celebrities at the Track" thread?

cj's dad
10-06-2011, 02:11 PM
It already is.

Tom
10-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Or here.......:D

classhandicapper
10-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Great photo, but I'm mildly upset my better half and I missed the photo session. I could see why you guys wouldn't want my mug in the photo, but she's cute. ;)

nijinski
10-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Great photo, but I'm mildly upset my better half and I missed the photo session. I could see why you guys wouldn't want my mug in the photo, but she's cute. ;)
It was mentioned that you both were both missed , this was taken after the final race. Definately next time!!

cj's dad
10-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Gotta learn how to hang !!

Grits
10-07-2011, 12:11 AM
Couple of hams in the back of the pack I see. :D

Which is not uncommon with the two, both, being such fun.

Great photos!

nijinski
10-07-2011, 12:32 AM
Which is not uncommon with the two, both, being such fun.

Great photos!
Missed meeting you at the Spa Grits , made it up there Labor Day weekend finally. I'm hoping to plan it better next summer. Was a damp and chilly day at Belmont but these guys are a great bunch! Poor Mike was freezing.