PDA

View Full Version : What kind of watch do you wear?

Hanover1
09-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Horseplayers, and clockers in particular, wear certain types of watches to use while railbirding, or catching splits, ect.....some wear chronos to watch NASCAR, ect.....what do you wear, and why? I am using an Omega SMP 300 black dial Bond edition with NATO strap. Whatchya got? Some guys spend a fortune on a watch, and some have several, and some use just one for everything. I use just 1 for everything.

lsbets
09-11-2011, 10:19 PM
I haven't worn a watch in 6 years.

GameTheory
09-11-2011, 10:23 PM
I haven't worn a watch in 6 years.
I haven't worn one in 20 years.

Tape Reader
09-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Never.

LottaKash
09-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Fwiw, I have had a Casio "G-shock" watch for about 12 years....It needs no batteries or winding, as it uses the power of light to energise itself....It is an alarm clock, a stopwatch with splits and gives you day and date of the week and month of course, and global time setting up the gazoo....Best feature of all is that it sets itself 3-times each nite via "satellite" that is hooked up to the Atomic clock in CO.....Oh yeah, you can set it up to light up at nite with just a flick of the wrist, or by button press, which is a great feature that I have learned to rely on when in the dark...

$99.00 @JC Penneys, and this watch has been thru the wringer during those 12 years, and I mean wringer, and it hasn't failed or ran out of energy once in all that time....Toughest watch on the planet, imo....Highly Recommend it for busy hard working people.....Looks ok in normal environments as well....I mean I am not embarrassed to be wearing it....

best,

Actor
09-11-2011, 10:39 PM
what do you wear,
Digital -- has stop watch capability -- can't find a brand name on it.

and why?
Cost $7 at Wal-Mart. It was cheap.

lsbets
09-11-2011, 10:40 PM
I haven't worn one in 20 years.

Fine, upstage me. How bout this. With the exception of going out to dinner (at a nice restaurant on date night), I haven't worn shoes(and that includes sneakers) in 6 years!

PaceAdvantage
09-11-2011, 10:40 PM
I wear a Citizen SkyHawk Blue Angels Flight Chronograph...it's my only watch, and I wear it all the time.

Tom
09-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Timex with a sweep second hand and a window for the date. The closest track to me is Finger Lakes so if I ever decide to time anything, the date will part will do.

elysiantraveller
09-11-2011, 10:56 PM
I like Seiko for some reason.

I have a Sport Kinetic that I wear everyday and then a Coutura thats my nice watch. I also have my first one that is a Kinetic I got about 15 years ago.

Dave Schwartz
09-11-2011, 11:17 PM
I have worn the same watch for 21 year: Tag Heuer.

Last year I had to have it rebuilt and it was worth every penny.

Hanover1
09-11-2011, 11:41 PM
Fwiw, I have had a Casio "G-shock" watch for about 12 years....It needs no batteries or winding, as it uses the power of light to energise itself....It is an alarm clock, a stopwatch with splits and gives you day and date of the week and month of course, and global time setting up the gazoo....Best feature of all is that it sets itself 3-times each nite via "satellite" that is hooked up to the Atomic clock in CO.....Oh yeah, you can set it up to light up at nite with just a flick of the wrist, or by button press, which is a great feature that I have learned to rely on when in the dark...

$99.00 @JC Penneys, and this watch has been thru the wringer during those 12 years, and I mean wringer, and it hasn't failed or ran out of energy once in all that time....Toughest watch on the planet, imo....Highly Recommend it for busy hard working people.....Looks ok in normal environments as well....I mean I am not embarrassed to be wearing it....

best,

This is an awesome choice on many levels. If I ever sell the Omega, this is my choice.

Hanover1
09-11-2011, 11:42 PM
I have worn the same watch for 21 year: Tag Heuer.

Last year I had to have it rebuilt and it was worth every penny.

Tag makes a great watch, what model did you get?

Hanover1
09-11-2011, 11:45 PM
I wear a Citizen Sky Hawk Blue Angels Flight Chronograph...it's my only watch, and I wear it all the time.

Was looking at a Citizen Eco model, but got suckered by style over substance I guess, but Omega does make a nice watch.

Hanover1
09-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Timex with a sweep second hand and a window for the date. The closest track to me is Finger Lakes so if I ever decide to time anything, the date will part will do.

I so see you with this watch...twisty flex band too?

Hanover1
09-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Some folks gave me a Rolex many years ago. Still in the box, in a drawer somewhere. To pretentious for my taste, but it was engraved, so I kinda hafta keep it. Never worn.

GameTheory
09-11-2011, 11:53 PM
Fine, upstage me. How bout this. With the exception of going out to dinner (at a nice restaurant on date night), I haven't worn shoes(and that includes sneakers) in 6 years!Does that include boots?

lsbets
09-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Does that include boots?

Yep. Haven't needed those in 6 years.

BlueShoe
09-12-2011, 12:26 AM
Cannot recall the last time a watch was on my wrist, has been perhaps 40 years. For a time, did carry a cheap pocket watch given to me as a gift, but it quit working at least 5 years ago. Contrarian that I am, if ever in need of a timepiece again, will look into another old fashioned pocket watch and chain.

TiznowfaninNY
09-12-2011, 12:48 AM
Don't wear one.

Tom
09-12-2011, 07:46 AM
I so see you with this watch...twisty flex band too?

Is there any other kind??

Hanover1
09-12-2011, 09:12 AM
Is there any other kind??

:ThmbUp:

Steve 'StatMan'
09-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Can't remember last time I wore a watch. Skin allergies. My cell phone gets the most usage as a pocket watch & alarm clock.

ArlJim78
09-12-2011, 10:17 AM
I don't wear a watch because having something on my wrist bothers me. In this day and age I also don't understand the need. I'm either facing a computer screen which has the time continously displayed, or I'm in possesion of a phone which has thousands of functions, one of them being a clock.

and lsbets! no shoes or boots?
what do you wear on your feet when you go to work, to the gas station or the hardware store? sandals? mocassins?

Dave Schwartz
09-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Tag makes a great watch, what model did you get?

Heck, I don't know. Maybe it says "Professional?"

LOL - A few years ago the data function stopped working. I spent a small fortune to get it fixed. Then I remembered that I couldn't read the date anyway! :lol: How bright am I?

One cool thing is that it does not set off the alarms at the airport.

http://www.horsestreet.com/BBSImages/Tag.jpg

RaceBookJoe
09-12-2011, 10:34 AM
What do you do when your wife's watch breaks?? Nothing, there's a clock on the oven :) rbj

Tom
09-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Have some fun at Airport Security!

MONEY
09-12-2011, 11:35 AM
I have never worn a watch.
I wouldn't even wear pants if I didn't have to.
In fact the only thing that I'm wearing now is socks.
I like socks.

Dave Schwartz
09-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Tom,

Is it profiling if the security people ask to see your watch?

TJDave
09-12-2011, 02:04 PM
99.99% of the time I wear an old Citizen dig/analog watch. It's so old that I have to backdate the year to get the day and date to correspond. I wear a dress up watch that was my fathers whenever the Mrs makes me dress up.

offtrack
09-12-2011, 02:16 PM
I dont wear a watch, but I do own a Citizen given to me by a bookmaker. I bailed him out once when he was in a bind. I got a watch, and no vig on the loan.

Robert Goren
09-12-2011, 02:17 PM
A Timex with a leather band. I have owned a several of them over the years. The only thing I make sure is to get one that lights up when you push the button. I remember reading that someone found their way out of one of the twin towers by a watch light after the first attack in 1993. The bands these days cost more than watches.

canleakid
09-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Put up the Seiko alarm chronograph,when I retired almost 11 yrs. ago bet it needs new battery. Now if I care about the time I use my cell phone

LottaKash
09-12-2011, 04:37 PM
I dont wear a watch, but I do own a Citizen given to me by a bookmaker. I bailed him out once when he was in a bind. I got a watch, and no vig on the loan.

Many years ago, way before OTB's and ADW's, when it would be too much to get out to the fresh air of the track, I'll bet I bought my bookie a watch or so...:D

best,

Grits
09-12-2011, 05:33 PM
A Rolex . . . . and neither the watch or myself are pretentious; I've been wearing it for 28 years.

Hanover, engraving's easily removed and buffed out. Sell the watch if you don't like it.

JustRalph
09-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Evo from sprint

Recently tried wearing a watch after many years without

Drove me nuts

My job actually requires I wear a watch

I got them to accept the phone as a watch since I use the phone as a tool (reference docs and such)

Hanover1
09-12-2011, 06:31 PM
A Rolex . . . . and neither the watch or myself are pretentious; I've been wearing it for 28 years.

Hanover, engraving's easily removed and buffed out. Sell the watch if you don't like it.

Agreed. Could also purchase a new back and resell. The Rolex Datejus for women is nicely understated, but the submariner or Daytona/President, ect for men leave no question upon casual glance what one is wearing. The Cyclops crystal gives most of them away, as does the bezel and 18k SS bracelets. Was given to me by some folks from work, so I should hang on to 'er I guess. Did not want to insinuate that all folks that wear a Rolex are pretentious, however my experience with various owners has taught me otherwise.

Saratoga_Mike
09-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Agreed. Could also purchase a new back and resell. The Rolex Datejus for women is nicely understated, but the submariner or Daytona/President, ect for men leave no question upon casual glance what one is wearing. The Cyclops crystal gives most of them away, as does the bezel and 18k SS bracelets. Was given to me by some folks from work, so I should hang on to 'er I guess. Did not want to insinuate that all folks that wear a Rolex are pretentious, however my experience with various owners has taught me otherwise.

That's my experience (the pretentious part), too, but I'm certain there are exceptions (Grits being one of course).

stuball
09-12-2011, 06:45 PM
I have never worn a watch and see no reason to start now at age 68
watches only tell you that you are late..and I never want to be late...

Stuball

Grits
09-12-2011, 07:36 PM
That's my experience (the pretentious part), too, but I'm certain there are exceptions (Grits being one of course).
;) XOXOXOXOXOX ;)

Thanks, guys. I've always figured if it takes a watch, a car, a house, or whatever, to elevate one's self worth--what a shame.
Pretentious being terribly boring. Such folks don't have a great deal of fun in life.

Robert Fischer
09-12-2011, 09:29 PM
haven't had a rolex since college ...
(can't vouch on authenticity -bought for $40 from a vendor in DC):D

got the daughter a nice chronograph watch for time/jewelry

i don't usually wear a watch to be honest. The phone or computer has the time and although I've hand-timed plenty of races, run-ups, and run-to-1st-turns, i use online windowed split-lap timers for that.

platinum chronograph when i need 2 "style" :cool:

ManU918
09-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Tag Formula 1 that I absolutely love. A Breitling will be my next watch purchase.

ElKabong
09-12-2011, 10:53 PM
no watch since 1980, had a puter (aka "tube") at work & the clock was right there in front of me. Then a beeper in 94, then a cell much later on. No need for a watch

eastie
09-12-2011, 10:56 PM
a patek philippe from 1962

chickenhead
09-12-2011, 11:31 PM
I've got a Rolex that I never wear, it's a little much for my normal attire. Cost me $20 outside an airport overseas, hell of a deal.

I've worn a Swiss Army watch, like this one, for about 5 years. Easy to read, hands glow in the dark. Appears to keep time.

http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/L12088936.jpg

bigmack
09-13-2011, 12:27 AM
I've got a Rolex that I never wear, it's a little much for my normal attire. Cost me $20 outside an airport overseas, hell of a deal.
Either that is a replica or it might be mine.

Did you purchase it at the Hong Kong airport in 2004, did you buy it from a short fellow with a bad mustache and would you willing to surrender it for authenticity?

Grits
09-13-2011, 09:34 AM
a patek philippe from 1962
You and Charlie Sheen.

Hanover1
09-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Either that is a replica or it might be mine.

Did you purchase it at the Hong Kong airport in 2004, did you buy it from a short fellow with a bad mustache and would you willing to surrender it for authenticity?

Should have gotten 2 of 'em.

eastie
09-15-2011, 05:32 PM
You and Charlie Sheen.

Didn't know Sheen could tell time. i wear those nat nast silk shirts too.