PDA

View Full Version : British Columbia Derby

HuggingTheRail
09-11-2011, 11:32 AM
$200,000 on the Hastings bullring, definitely a highlight in the racing season here in Vancouver, with some shippers coming in, and a couple of horses recently purchased or claimed with this race in mind.

A full (and competitive) field of 12 to go postward. The race is 1 1/8 miles, which means they start at the top of the backstretch, and race around 3 turns on the 5+ furlong oval.

Late last night, it was rumoured that Martin Garcia would not be coming up, so the ride on the 3 Hurricane Lake may be going to local journeyman Frank Fuentes, who has ridden at Hastings for about 2 decades.

The only 1/2 looks like it will be quite honest, with the 1,9,11 and likely the 6 all near the top. There is a large group of horses who will likely be jostling for position in the second flight, with the 2,4,7,8,10 all looking like they don't want to be more than a few lengths off the lead as they head into the clubhouse turn at the half. 3 and 12 may be the closers here.

When they hit the midpoint of the backstretch, and have 3 furlongs to go, the race complexion will really get interesting. Few horses can sustain a bid more than 3 wide around the far turn, so trip could likely make a huge difference - if/when any of the front runners start backing up, it will be a large pack in behind looking for a path.

On first examination of the race, I quite liked the :3:. However, my enthusiasm waned a bit as I realized he will likely be 9th or worse at the half, leaving a lot of traffic to navigate.

Odds Value is definitely important as well, so I may look to place a wager on the :8: Line Change. Trainer Terry Jordan felt the horse didn't like the poly at Woodbine, and Alvarado was not happy with the ride he gave this horse in the Canadian Derby (although the pace wasn't blistering, the horse was in a "duel" on the lead early, and should likely have been sitting just off the pace), and was hoping to be back in health to take the ride today. That didn't happen, so F Perez, who has been a top rider at HST in the past, comes in from Edmonton to take the call.

The :4: and :5: from Emerald seem to be the biggest question marks for me - their race in the Emerald Derby may be a "better on paper" type race, as they were benefactors of a very brisk pace

My play at this point looks like it may be

:8: with :2::3::10: with :2::3::4::5::10::12:

and likely key the 8 in second as well, with the 2,3,10 on top.

Good luck if you take a swing at Hastings today. :ThmbUp:

Goofyscott
09-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Very good writeup on how you think this race will go. Good Luck to you and hope you score big.

HuggingTheRail
09-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Late Pick 4, starting in race 7

:1::7::8::9:
:2::6::8:
:2::3::5::8::10::12:
:5:

Solid_Gold
09-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Well HuggingTheRail, I would have to disagree on this one. I think the :5: Jebrica @ 6-1 is the play in this one. He may have found himself with the added distance? He drew off pretty soundly last time. Gets Baze today, best Beyer in the field by 5 pts., could bounce but I don't think so off the 2 works he put in since the 10-1 win last out. Last work was a bullet over this track too! 20% trainer with 25% off a last out win and gets a 28% jock today.

Looks like a gift to me @ 6-1 M/L.

I've never played this track so JMO for some value here.

I checked out the P4 as well and will play this small. Just on a whim play.

7th= 8 7
8th= 3 6 8
9th= 5
10th= 5

Good Luck

formula_2002
09-11-2011, 07:54 PM
good luck

Hastings
Race

MTP