PDA

View Full Version : PBS alters transcript to hide Obama gaffe

PaceAdvantage
09-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Oh no!! Too bad the media never had this kind of goodwill towards George W. Bush... :lol:

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2011/09/pbs_alters_transcript_to_hide_obama_gaffe.html

At one point Mr. Obama made a major gaffe; he identified Abraham Lincoln as the founder of the Republican Party.

Lincoln did not join the Republicans until 1856, over two years after the party was founded. The first Republican convention was held in Ripon, Wisconsin in 1854.

Such a gaffe would have brought huge amounts of ridicule and derision on George W. Bush, but in the case of Obama the media yawned.Maybe it shouldn't be FUBO. Maybe it should be FUMM.

boxcar
09-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Oh no!! Too bad the media never had this kind of goodwill towards George W. Bush... :lol:

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2011/09/pbs_alters_transcript_to_hide_obama_gaffe.html

Maybe it shouldn't be FUBO. Maybe it should be FUMM.

Ahh....not such a terrible gaffe. Even Mosty, Hcap, FanDan, SugarDumpins could have made the same mistake.

At the point in time, I'm hard-pressed to decide who is the bigger Joker: The one in the WH or the MM media who continually props him up?

Boxcar

Boxcar

Tom
09-10-2011, 06:37 PM
To consider PBS anything of any importance is ridiculous - they are bottom of the barrel bad - so bad they have to beg for funding.

We have no need for PBS - e-meial to TP already sent - take them off life support asap.

mostpost
09-10-2011, 07:44 PM

Maybe it shouldn't be FUBO. Maybe it should be FUMM.
It would help if you read the whole article. At the bottom is this sentence (or two)
It now says at the top of the transcript page now "EDITOR'S NOTE: The original transcript provided on this page, as was noted, reflected the president's remarks as prepared for delivery and released by the White House. This transcript has been updated to reflect the remarks as delivered and released by the White House."

What that means is that somebody wrote this speech. The advance copy was released before anyone caught the error. I know the president saw the speech beforehand, but that does not mean he would catch every error. Between the time the advance copy was released and the time the speech was delivered somebody caught the error. It may have been the president but more likely it was an aide.

I would bet a lot of money that Obama knows when Lincoln joined the Republican party. He is a student of Lincoln. He admires the way Lincoln assembled a "Team Of Rivals" for his cabinet.

I would not bet that George W. Bush knows that Lincoln was tall.

mostpost
09-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Here is something else that shows Mr. Birdnow is full of crap. From the article PA linked:
Shocking, but not surprising! B-Ho was also wrong on saying that Lincoln started the first land grant colleges.

The Morrill Act of 1862 set aside federal land in each state to be used for Agricultural Colleges. Details here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morrill_Land-Grant_Colleges_Act

bigmack
09-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Mighty entertaining, this mostie. He has a boat load of "ifs, maybes, I'll bets" at the ready for his beloved leader and political potty. All the while he could be shown a tape of ACORN workers, where the entire world is outraged, and walk away saying A. Breitbart is a scumbag and a liar.

Ah, the adorable selective dishonesty of a retired postman from N. Riverside, IL turned superhero. :ThmbUp:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/mp-1-1.jpg

mostpost
09-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Just watched part of the speech on cspan dot org. Obama did say Founder of the Republican Party. Please disregard previous communication. :blush:

bigmack
09-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Please disregard previous communication. :blush:
But stay tuned for another fun filled episode.

PaceAdvantage
09-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Just watched part of the speech on cspan dot org. Obama did say Founder of the Republican Party. Please disregard previous communication. :blush:It's amazing to me that you actually think people just make this shit up...you actually thought American Thinker was lying?

Lordy, lordy, lordy, you are a trip...

FantasticDan
09-10-2011, 08:45 PM
It would help if you read the whole article. At the bottom is this sentence (or two)

What that means is that somebody wrote this speech. The advance copy was released before anyone caught the error. I know the president saw the speech beforehand, but that does not mean he would catch every error. Between the time the advance copy was released and the time the speech was delivered somebody caught the error. It may have been the president but more likely it was an aide.

What happened was that the White House released the speech to outlets before it was delivered, and this is what PBS uploaded.

The speech as delivered included some changes and ad-libs, such as the Lincoln comment.

PBS then updated their transcript to the speech as actually delivered. But before they did, the rags went :jump: :jump: over what they characterized as a deliberate "edit" of Obama's gaffe, which is not what happened. Some of the rags have now edited their stories to make that correction.

Obviously Obama meant father of the republican party, not founder.

And yes, if Bush had made the same mistake, I'm sure MSNBC would pre-empt programming for a 3-hour special to cover it :rolleyes: :sleeping: :rolleyes: :sleeping:

ElKabong
09-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Just watched part of the speech on cspan dot org. Obama did say Founder of the Republican Party. Please disregard previous communication. :blush:

as we do with many such communications....

Tom
09-10-2011, 09:25 PM
[QUOTE=bigmack

Ah, the adorable selective dishonesty of a retired postman from N. Riverside, IL turned superhero. :ThmbUp:

[/QUOTE]

You are killing me!:lol:

boxcar
09-10-2011, 11:04 PM

Yeah, sure he did. He can't say what he means, nor should we ever think for a moment this liar can ever mean what he says.

And yes, if Bush had made the same mistake, I'm sure MSNBC would pre-empt programming for a 3-hour special to cover it :rolleyes: :sleeping: :rolleyes: :sleeping:

Either that, or they would have run scroll 24/7 for an entire week broadcasting it. Take your pick.

Boxcar

Greyfox
09-10-2011, 11:05 PM

Hmm? You're "thought reading" into what Obama meant and ultimately said.
Interesting use of language, FantasticDan.
If a father isn't a founder, what is he? :confused:

FantasticDan
09-10-2011, 11:54 PM
Hmm? You're "thought reading" into what Obama meant and ultimately said. Interesting use of language, FantasticDan.
If a father isn't a founder, what is he? :confused:You people really have a talent for taking simple concepts, adding a pinch of dementia, and coming out with some really bizarre results.

Abraham Lincoln is known far and wide as the "father of the republican party". It's common knowledge. It's fact. Here look, even a website says so:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_is_the_father_of_the_Republican_Party

So I find it reasonable to assume that someone who was making a speech, and made an un-scripted remark about Lincoln being the "founder", might have meant "father". It's an easy mistake. It's within the realm of possibility and chance that a human might make this mistake. So I give him the benefit of the doubt that this was the mistake he made.

It's not thought reading. It's reasonable assumption.

And if he actually meant founder all along, well then I'm with you guys, and he's just a lying idiot. :rolleyes:

PaceAdvantage
09-11-2011, 12:18 AM
You people really have a talent for taking simple concepts, adding a pinch of dementia, and coming out with some really bizarre results.

Abraham Lincoln is known far and wide as the "father of the republican party". It's common knowledge. It's fact. Here look, even a website says so:

So I find it reasonable to assume that someone who was making a speech, and made an un-scripted remark about Lincoln being the "founder", might have meant "father". It's an easy mistake. It's within the realm of possibility and chance that a human might make this mistake. So I give him the benefit of the doubt that this was the mistake he made.

And if he actually meant founder all along, well then I'm with you guys, and he's just a lying idiot. :rolleyes:It's odd how forgiving some people have become to US Presidents all of a sudden... :lol:

Who knew the killing of bin Laden would go so far...I mean, that's it right? That's about the only thing positive he's done in his almost three years at the helm...then again, I will always remember, "It's the economy stupid!"

So, with that said, I'll ask the question: What has Barack Obama done to earn such fantastic goodwill and forgiveness from some, that other US Presidents could only dream of?

bigmack
09-11-2011, 12:28 AM
So, with that said, I'll ask the question: What has Barack Obama done to earn such fantastic goodwill and forgiveness from some, that other US Presidents could only dream of?
Ah, hello. Ever hear of a crazy little thang called hope?

This ain't no shuck & jive.
Keep hope alive.

mostpost
09-11-2011, 12:49 AM
This is so embarrassing. :blush: I have to admit to being wrong again. Wrong when I said I was wrong the first time.
The argument was made that Barack Obama, in his speech on Thursday said Lincoln was one of the founders of the Republican party and PBS omitted that statement from its transcript of his speech in order to save him from embarrassment. Because we all know Abraham Lincoln was not one of the founders of the Republican Party. Except he was.

True, he was not at Ripon, Wisconsin for that first meeting in March of 1854. But that meeting was only a county meeting. Lincoln, in that year was a candidate for Senate from Illinois. After a protracted battle in the Illinois Legislature he threw his support to Lyman Trumbull who won the seat.
The Whig Party, of which Lincoln was a member, was hopelessly split on the slavery issue causing Lincoln to remark:
"I think I am a Whig, but others say there are no Whigs, and that I am an abolitionist, even though I do no more than oppose the extension of slavery."

Now here is the important part so pay attention.
" Drawing on remnants of the old Whig party, and on disenchanted Free Soil, Liberty, and Democratic party members, he was instrumental in forging the shape of the new Republican Party.
[94]

In 1856 at the Republican National Convention Lincoln finished second for the vice presidential nomination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Lincoln#Republican_politics_1854.E2.80.931 860

mostpost
09-11-2011, 12:54 AM
It's amazing to me that you actually think people just make this shit up...you actually thought American Thinker was lying?

Lordy, lordy, lordy, you are a trip...
Yes, I did. And they were. Or maybe they don't know their history, Maybe they think founder refers solely and exclusively to the group that was present at the very first meeting and to no one else. I think it means anyone who was instrumental in forming the group through its early years. Lincoln certainly qualifies as a founder using that criterion.

And who the hell says "Lordy, lordy, lordy" nowadays. :rolleyes:

mostpost
09-11-2011, 12:58 AM
You people really have a talent for taking simple concepts, adding a pinch of dementia, and coming out with some really bizarre results.

And if he actually meant founder all along, well then I'm with you guys, and he's just a lying idiot. :rolleyes:

We are correct. They are wrong. Lincoln was clearly responsible for transforming the Republican Party from an isolated anti slavery party into a national party.

bigmack
09-11-2011, 01:03 AM
This is so embarrassing. :blush: I have to admit to being wrong again. Wrong when I said I was wrong the first time
Nice work. Regrettably, you've been disqualified from further competition.

As you may have heard; "Two wrongs don't make a right."

Thanks for playing. I believe we have some lovely parting gifts for you.

Tell him what he's won, Johnny.

http://us.cdn2.123rf.com/168nwm/bicubic/bicubic0905/bicubic090500006/4871080-vector-illustration-of-a-hairless-middle-aged-man-in-blue-suit-announcing-through-a-megaphone.jpg

Free carpet cleaning (up to 9sq. ft!) in your room of choice.
Courtesy, Bouchelle.
Call: Hudson 3-Two Seven Hundred.

hcap
09-11-2011, 04:06 AM
Mr.Have it your way (when everything says it ain't

http://us.cdn2.123rf.com/168nwm/bicubic/bicubic0905/bicubic090500006/4871080-vector-illustration-of-a-hairless-middle-aged-man-in-blue-suit-announcing-through-a-megaphone.jpg

Hey Mack, you were wrong, most and Dan were right. Be a big boy for a change and say so. Being glib is no excuse for not being honest

I would bet a lot of money that Obama knows when Lincoln joined the Republican party. He is a student of Lincoln. He admires the way Lincoln assembled a "Team Of Rivals" for his cabinet.

I would not bet that George W. Bush knows that Lincoln was tall.I bet he knew he could sleep in Mister Lincolns' bedroom though.

bigmack
09-11-2011, 04:16 AM
Hey Mack, you were wrong, most and Dan were right. Be a big boy for a change and say so. Being glib is no excuse for not being honest
It's a fairly short thread. Weave your way through and show me where I had any opinion about this frivolity.

"You was wrong." You're too much. :cool:

PaceAdvantage
09-11-2011, 04:46 AM
This is so embarrassing. :blush: I have to admit to being wrong again. Wrong when I said I was wrong the first time.
The argument was made that Barack Obama, in his speech on Thursday said Lincoln was one of the founders of the Republican party and PBS omitted that statement from its transcript of his speech in order to save him from embarrassment.No, no, no sir. Ol' Barack said Lincoln was THE founder of the Republican Party...not "one of the" founders. Big difference.

And PBS DID omit this from the transcript, no matter what fanciful tale you try and weave as to why this might be so.

When called out on it, they slipped it back in...

FUMM

hcap
09-11-2011, 04:56 AM
Without arguing the merits. You like to take it personal. Frequently attacking motives. honesty, and intelligence.

You just babbled:Nice work. Regrettably, you've been disqualified from further competition.

As you may have heard; "Two wrongs don't make a right." This is nonsense. You could have said Ok, or nothing at all.

Earlier you did what YOU THOUGHT WAS A CLEVER Mackian GLIB.....

Ah, the adorable selective dishonesty of a retired postman from N. Riverside, IL turned superhero.

FantasticDan
09-11-2011, 12:53 PM
It's odd how forgiving some people have become to US Presidents all of a sudden... :lol:

Who knew the killing of bin Laden would go so far...I mean, that's it right? That's about the only thing positive he's done in his almost three years at the helm...then again, I will always remember, "It's the economy stupid!"

So, with that said, I'll ask the question: What has Barack Obama done to earn such fantastic goodwill and forgiveness from some, that other US Presidents could only dream of?Fantastic goodwill? Earn forgiveness? :confused: Yes, if it wasn't for taking out that pesky Bin Laden fellow, I probably couldn't let this founder/father stuff slide.. :rolleyes:

Obama's presidency has been (gasp) less than perfect. It's had ups, it's had downs. It's been like every other friggin presidency. And I know it's hard to believe, but he still has supporters, despite no small amount of disillusionment amongst a good many of them.

Since you keep asking, here's a list from 2010 of some of his accomplishments:

http://obamaachievements.org/list

Peruse at your leisure. (Yes, I know - all that stuff is a joke and doesn't mean squat.)

Your Bush persecution complex (which, as ever, is the overriding PA meme) really needs a rest. Here's you way back in May 2004 in a panic (post #4) cuz you thought the horrible and unfair powers-that-be wouldn't let him have a 2nd term:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12287

No matter what Bush does, it will never be positive! They will never let him have anything! Poor poor George! :(

But praise be, he did win a second term :jump: Good on you, Georgie! You beat those bastards! America saw thru the conspiracy of unfairness! Sure, the last few years didn't go so swell, but OH WELL. That's politics.

But you still supported the guy, right? You sure did. And you still do. That's your prerogative. As it is Obama's supporters, despite the fact he hasn't been perfect.

I realize you think Bush got no credit for anything, and you in turn think Obama gets a pass for everything.

Neither is remotely true.

lsbets
09-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Mosty, since you seem to be arguing over what the meaning of is is, I thought I would look up the definition of founder for you:

from dictionary.com

founder 1 (ˈfaʊndə) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

— n
a person who establishes an institution, company, society, etc

I'll let you try to twist it to this silly argument you are making. Clearly Lincoln did not establish the Republican Party, but I'm sure you will try to find a way to say this definition proves him correct.

boxcar
09-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Without arguing the merits. You like to take it personal. Frequently attacking motives. honesty, and intelligence.

You just babbled:This is nonsense. You could have said Ok, or nothing at all.

Earlier you did what YOU THOUGHT WAS A CLEVER Mackian GLIB.....

You're so humor-impaired, 'cap. You seriously need to consider professional help at a Humor Rehab Center, assuming you ever had any, of course. If not, you could try a Humor Implant. This would get plugged into your heart and might help it with the imbalance issues it has.

Boxcar

bigmack
09-11-2011, 04:15 PM
You just babbled:This is nonsense. You could have said Ok, or nothing at all.
Oh for heaven's sake, lighten-up. Just havin' a little fun with N.Riverside.

Whereas his debate style is like a Chihuahua nipping at a pant leg, your style has all the subtlety of a fart at a funeral. :eek:

Saratoga_Mike
09-11-2011, 06:38 PM

I would bet a lot of money that Obama knows when Lincoln joined the Republican party. He is a student of Lincoln
. He admires the way Lincoln assembled a "Team Of Rivals" for his cabinet.

Quite nauseating.

I do like your line about GWB, though.

Saratoga_Mike
09-11-2011, 06:39 PM
No, no, no sir. Ol' Barack said Lincoln was THE founder of the Republican Party...not "one of the" founders. Big difference.

And PBS DID omit this from the transcript, no matter what fanciful tale you try and weave as to why this might be so.

When called out on it, they slipped it back in...

FUMM

What's FUMM?

boxcar
09-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Quite nauseating.

I do like your line about GWB, though.

But to the best of my recollection, he did know how many states there are in the Union. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

Sugar Ron
09-11-2011, 08:22 PM

LOL ... too funny

"D" student Perry, Bachmann, Caribou Barbie, Mitch The Gobbler, Cantor, Schoolboy Rubio, DuhMint, and on and on

Like I said before, Honest Abe must be hurling in his coffin over the modern-day Republican Party...

PaceAdvantage
09-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Your Bush persecution complex (which, as ever, is the overriding PA meme) really needs a rest. Here's you way back in May 2004 in a panic (post #4) cuz you thought the horrible and unfair powers-that-be wouldn't let him have a 2nd term:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12287

No matter what Bush does, it will never be positive! They will never let him have anything! Poor poor George! :(Panic? Where do you get that?

In fact, thanks for bringing this thread up. It's some of my best work... :lol:

PaceAdvantage
09-11-2011, 09:28 PM
What's FUMM?Seriously?

toetoe
09-11-2011, 11:54 PM
Let me be clear ... Abraham Lincoln was tall.

There can be no doubt ... my parents met as Lincoln delegates at the Reublican Convention.

No one can deny ... while in Kenya, Mr. Lincoln ... [What's that, my staffer ? Okay, I'll fix it.] Uh, guys ... we're buying shrimp here. Guys ... guys ?