PDA

View Full Version : GOP Debate--Romney wins

Saratoga_Mike
09-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Romney's human! He isn't an automaton. His positions on China and immigration are just enough red meat for the Tea Party, and he's clearly brighter and more well informed than the rest of the candidates.

Perry - Closed out strong on the death penalty question, but the rest of his performance was pitiful. He has just memorized lines (ala Palin).

Santorum - seemed dazed and confused at times. No chance - drop out now Rick and go spend more of your PAC's money on Burger King for your kids in Leesburg.

Newt - running against the media and acting bitter won't do you any good. Go away.

Michelle B - I like Michelle personally (has to be a good person adopting all those foster kids), but she's just spitting out memorized lines

Ron Paul - oh my god - get him off the stage

Herman C - like you Herman, but you'll never be prez

Huntsman - hey you aren't in the general election and you never will be--and the yellow tie needs to go

Overall, it was a great night for Romney (I was very surprised), a sub-par night for Perry and the rest don't matter.

bigmack
09-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Nice. That's better coverage than The Gang of Loons currently on MSNBC.

Get a load of this line-up. Big Ed, Larry O'D'd, Butch Maddow, Eugene "Pulitzer" Robinson & batting clean-up, Rev. Al.

What a brain trust.

Saratoga_Mike
09-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Nice. That's better coverage than The Gang of Loons currently on MSNBC.

Get a load of this line-up. Big Ed, Larry O'D'd, Butch Maddow, Eugene "Pulitzer" Robinson & batting clean-up, Rev. Al. What a brain trust.

Putting aside their own left-wing politics, what on earth are they talking about? Do they know anything about politics? Oh, now Matthews is chiming in with something stupid.

bigmack
09-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Putting aside their own left-wing politics, what on earth are they talking about? Do they know anything about politics? Oh, now Matthews is chiming in with something stupid.
MSNBC hosts the debate and asked the questions. Matthews "asks", rather, tries to make a point to Santorum afterwards. "It's obvious all of you know that if you talk about same sex marriage you won't stand a chance in '12"

Santorum says "WTF are you talking about, Chrissy. Your station never asked the question." :lol:

Matthews says in closing he stands by what he said.

Robert Goren
09-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Now that you have gotten out of the way your expected posts about how bad MSNBC was, what did you think of the candidates? The goofs at MSNBC aren't running for president. Noboby cares about them. It was other guys there that matter.

bigmack
09-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Now that you have gotten out of the way your expected posts about how bad MSNBC was, what did you think of the candidates? The goofs at MSNBC aren't running for president. Noboby cares about them. It was other guys there that matter.
Guess what? I didn't see it. :lol:

I was relying on SarMike. Too busy putting in bets (Spreadingthewealth @ CT :jump: ), playing guitar & throwing my brilliance around this dump. :rolleyes:

Nice Romey line: BO is a nice enough guy, he just doesn't have a clue.

Saratoga_Mike
09-07-2011, 10:52 PM
BM, you can trust my analysis - hell you can take it to the bank. Romney was great - that's the takeway, much to RG's chagrin, I'm sure.

Matthews: "It was like a Roman Coliseum (the audience clapping)" when Perry was asked about the death penalty.

Chris, I know all of your effete liberal friends in Chevy Chase oppose the death penalty, but most Americans don't.

Greyfox
09-08-2011, 12:09 AM
Every candidate had strong points.
Personally, I thought that Newt and Jon Huntsman had the best minds but only got limited air time due to the moderators preoccupation with the guys at center stage. They didn't draw as much applause as I thought that they should have. Cain who obviously has a good head for business wasn't as appreciated that much either.
Romney reminded me of a Brylcream commercial.
Perry was an ad for Grecian Formula.
Bachman seemed to shoot straight from the hip but at times her facial expressions seemed too Pelosi-like.
Personally, I'm only tepid about any of those three.

I think the candidates need to be trimmed down and hopefully Newt and Huntsman get more air time.

redshift1
09-08-2011, 03:07 AM
How was Perry? I didn't watch. Some recent articles indicate debating might be his weak point.

fast4522
09-08-2011, 05:49 AM
I think it is safe st say there were no winners with the string lineup they had, and things will be much different when they start dropping like flies soon. All you have are sound bites when there are over 4 on a stage. Until they start dropping out I will not credit any one of them for having any better moxie than the other.

Saratoga_Mike
09-08-2011, 07:00 AM
Every candidate had strong points.
Personally, I thought that Newt and Jon Huntsman had the best minds but only got limited air time due to the moderators preoccupation with the guys at center stage. They didn't draw as much applause as I thought that they should have. Cain who obviously has a good head for business wasn't as appreciated that much either.
Romney reminded me of a Brylcream commercial.
Perry was an ad for Grecian Formula.
Bachman seemed to shoot straight from the hip but at times her facial expressions seemed too Pelosi-like.
Personally, I'm only tepid about any of those three.

I think the candidates need to be trimmed down and hopefully Newt and Huntsman get more air time.

I thought Huntsman was HORRIBLE, from his preachy tone to his awful tie. Newt was abrasive and arrogant. I like your Perry and Bachman comments!

Newt will never be president. Never. Ever. Same on Huntsman - oh maybe if he ran as a Dem (he's already running a general election campaign--all that chemical money has gone to his head, I guess).

Tom
09-08-2011, 07:51 AM
Why would they legitimize PMSNBC by holding a debate on that pathetically biased cartoon network?

Robert Goren
09-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Why would they legitimize PMSNBC by holding a debate on that pathetically biased cartoon network?CNN has another one on monday and Fox has one on sept 22. A bunch more after that. There is no end in sight to these things.

rastajenk
09-08-2011, 08:41 AM
How was Perry? I didn't watch. Some recent articles indicate debating might be his weak point.I didn't watch much either, so I can't addres your question, but I've seen that out there too, that these kinds of debates might not serve him well.

So maybe it's time to question whether these kinds of debates even serve the public well. There are no debates like this once a candidate becomes President, at least not until he's running for re-election. What kind of presidential skill is on display at these events? Why do we eliminate decent people on the strength, or lack thereof, in a debate setting? Makes no sense to me, it's a format that needs to be re-worked somehow.

Saratoga_Mike
09-08-2011, 09:11 AM
I didn't watch much either, so I can't addres your question, but I've seen that out there too, that these kinds of debates might not serve him well.

So maybe it's time to question whether these kinds of debates even serve the public well. There are no debates like this once a candidate becomes President, at least not until he's running for re-election. What kind of presidential skill is on display at these events? Why do we eliminate decent people on the strength, or lack thereof, in a debate setting? Makes no sense to me, it's a format that needs to be re-worked somehow.

The ability to perform under pressure. Anyway, the American people don't just vote for the best debater. Otherwise, Hillary would be president, not Obama.

What would serve Perry well? I thought he did a great job of repeating his memorized lines.

Tom
09-08-2011, 09:23 AM
What would serve Perry well? I thought he did a great job of repeating his memorized lines.

Well, shows more initiative than using a uh, ahh, uh, er, ahhhhh, a teleprompter! :lol:

elysiantraveller
09-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Huntsman and Romney are realistically the only two that have a chance of winning the General Election.

cj's dad
09-08-2011, 09:46 AM
The ability to perform under pressure. Anyway, the American people don't just vote for the best debater. Otherwise, Hillary would be president, not Obama.

Video here:
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/newt-gingrich-again-scolds-debate-moderator-over-choice-of-question/

Sugar Ron
09-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Can't believe I missed such riveting television ... LOL

Good to hear Flip had a decent outing. Was starting to get a little worried about the old guy.

Sure hope he gets the nomination ... as he should be able to handle losing to BO better than Richard.

Anyway, have a feeling the boys over at PolitiFACT are gunna have a field day with some of the things these jokers said last night...

Sugar Ron
09-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Nice Romey line: BO is a nice enough guy, he just doesn't have a clue.

Pretty funny stuff coming from a guy whose state ranked 47th out of 50 in job creation while he was in charge...

Sugar Ron
09-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Huntsman and Romney are realistically the only two that have a chance of winning the General Election.

Very true ... the other two loons (Perry, Bachmann) will scare way too many independents and moderate types with their moronic "anti-science" positions among other things...

ArlJim78
09-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Huntsman has no shot whatsoever as a Republican. His odds would go up considerably though if he ran as a Democrat.

Mitt still has a shot but showed he did show some signs of desperation last night.

Robert Goren
09-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Huntsman has no shot whatsoever as a Republican. His odds would go up considerably though if he ran as a Democrat.

Mitt still has a shot but showed he did show some signs of desperation last night.No, they wouldn't.

elysiantraveller
09-08-2011, 11:03 AM

Mitt still has a shot but showed he did show some signs of desperation last night.

Huntsman has almost no shot at winning the nomination I agree but Bachmann and Perry have zero chance of winning the general election. They are too far to the right.

If you want the GOP to take the White House here's how I see it.

Huntsman: Obama is ousted.

Romney: It will come down to general election campaigning (Likely Nominee)

Bachmann/Perry: The election is lost August 27th next year at the GOP Convention.

Mike at A+
09-08-2011, 11:07 AM
I call this one a tossup between Romney and Newt. Perry stumbled a bit in the last segment searching for proper wording to answer a question but he was clearly the crowd favorite. Santorum gave some good answers. Bachmann doesn't have a chance because she doesn't provide specifics and only bashes Obama. Cain has no chance, Paul is goofy and Huntsman is a RINO.

ArlJim78
09-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Perry is the next president, he'll easily wipe the floor with Obama.
The extreme meme is not going to fly when he's a current longstanding governor of a large state and he's matched up against the clueless Obama. that dog won't hunt. Rasmussen has a poll out today showing voters feel Obama is more extreme than Perry, which of course he is.

Saratoga_Mike
09-08-2011, 11:13 AM
Video here:
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/newt-gingrich-again-scolds-debate-moderator-over-choice-of-question/

Abrasive and defensive isn't presidential. Newt will NEVER be president. Hell, I thought he was trying to suck up to the other candidates last night, positioning himself for a cabinet spot.

Greyfox
09-08-2011, 11:16 AM

Huntsman didn't receive much applause last night so I suspect his popularity is down. Perhaps he'll do better in the next election.
I do think though that of that group, he's the best man for the job.
He's been an Ambassador to China, knows the private sector, and has been a Governor. Those are strong credentials.
He's level headed, yet firm enough to stand for his own ideas.
Also, one on one, he would beat Obama. I'm not sure about the others.

Unfortunately, in this day and age, the MEDIA and how one appears on TV seems to be more important than substance. Worse yet, the Media promotes the flash and flair.
We're in a fast food society where people demand sizzle, and ignore steak.
That was the mistake made last time out.
Surely Americans shouldn't buy sizzle again. It has no protein to build on.
Beef is needed.

Saratoga_Mike
09-08-2011, 11:16 AM

Agreed. I have no idea what planet Goren lives on.

Disagree on Mitt. He was GREAT last night (I'm shocked that I'm saying that). Perry is a clown. Perry will not be the nominee!

Saratoga_Mike
09-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Perry is the next president, he'll easily wipe the floor with Obama.
The extreme meme is not going to fly when he's a current longstanding governor of a large state and he's matched up against the clueless Obama. that dog won't hunt. Rasmussen has a poll out today showing voters feel Obama is more extreme than Perry, which of course he is.

Perry won't be the nominee. He's a mental midget.

Saratoga_Mike
09-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Huntsman didn't receive much applause last night so I suspect his popularity is down. Perhaps he'll do better in the next election.
He's been an Ambassador to China, knows the private sector, and has been a Governor. Those are strong credentials.

Unfortunately, in this day and age, the MEDIA and how one appears on TV seems to be more important than substance. Worse yet, the Media promotes the flash and flair.
Beef is needed.

The media LOVES Huntsman. If it weren't for the media, his campaign would have folded already.

Huntsman would NOT beat Obama. He isn't a clear choice.

elysiantraveller
09-08-2011, 11:20 AM

Beef is needed.

He is also very pragmatic, doesn't slip into dogma and rhetoric, and seems like he would be a very tranactional politician which is something we need right now.

I agree completely and feel the Tea Party VASTLY over-estimates their political relevance... their base and platform isn't large enough to propel someone into the WH. Unfortunately it is large enough to nominate the GOP's eventual loser.

elysiantraveller
09-08-2011, 11:25 AM
The media LOVES Huntsman. If it weren't for the media, his campaign would have folded already.

Huntsman would NOT beat Obama. He isn't a clear choice.

If Huntsman was the nominee who is the right going to vote for? Obama? :lol:

He certainly would take more moderate American votes than Perry.

Greyfox
09-08-2011, 12:23 PM

Exactly. :ThmbUp:
Perry has appeal to capital "C" conservatives. His swashbuckling Devil-may-care decisive attitude of "this is the way it's done" will go a long ways with them. He has appeal with the "religious right," but I'm not convinced about the depth of his religious convictions. He may hold them for political reasons rather than personal ones.
Bachman has a brain but sometimes her mouth runs ahead of it. She may hold appeal to tea partiers and some groups of women.
Romney has traction on the right because he put his name up before. But for me, there is something just too smooth about him and his Romneycare ideas will make him a target. Certainly he has a large amount of teflon around him.

But the goal is to beat Obama. Get him out before he further ruins America.
I'm not convinced any of the above 3, (or Palin included) can do that.
The key to beating Obama is to have a candidate who can and will appeal to
Independents (I'd put myself in that camp.)

I sense that Jon Huntsman would beat Obama. Hard core right wingers probably don't see that. They also don't see that Obama, as terrible as he has been, is quite wise with the social networkers. He also is the incumbent and that historically has been a huge advantage. He won't be an easy beat for most of the GOP candidates.

fast4522
09-08-2011, 06:00 PM
All of you people are way way ahead of yourself and the country, wait till they start to pull out and leave a smaller field. After a nominee is selected, things will get real ugly, almost beyond imagination. Let the country select the best person as our nominee, then let the pain begin. I am very open to hearing more from each and every one of them, I will not be surprised if people here can handicap horses ten times better than President contenders.

boxcar
09-08-2011, 06:27 PM
All of you people are way way ahead of yourself and the country, wait till they start to pull out and leave a smaller field. After a nominee is selected, things will get real ugly, almost beyond imagination. Let the country select the best person as our nominee, then let the pain begin. I am very open to hearing more from each and every one of them, I will not be surprised if people here can handicap horses ten times better than President contenders.

:lol: :lol: Yup, you're right! it's easier to spot horses with "hidden" form than it is to discern the thoughts, intents and motives of many of these contenders.

Boxcar

hcap
09-09-2011, 06:59 AM
Did some one say GOP debate?

sTZrMNPhQAc

Saratoga_Mike
09-09-2011, 10:08 AM

Huntsman would absolutely lose to Obama. What you're failing to grasp, among other things, is voter intensity and turnout (and what a Huntsman candidacy would mean on those fronts). Anyway, he's a lousy candidate. Did you watch him in the debate? He stands for nothing except trying to be nice ("above the fray"). Huntsman will not be the nomineee and he will never be president.

elysiantraveller
09-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Huntsman would absolutely lose to Obama. What you're failing to grasp, among other things, is voter intensity and turnout (and what a Huntsman candidacy would mean on those fronts). Anyway, he's a lousy candidate. Did you watch him in the debate? He stands for nothing except trying to be nice ("above the fray"). Huntsman will not be the nomineee and he will never be president.

There is not going to be a lack of voter intensity in this election it wouldn't matter if the Stay-Puff Marshmellow man was running people are going to turn out.

GaryG
09-09-2011, 10:22 AM
I fail to see how anyone could perceive Huntsman as the likely nominee. He is not even a RINO, just another democrat. And you can forget about Romney. The Tea Party will exert a considerable influence on the nomination.

elysiantraveller
09-09-2011, 10:27 AM
I fail to see how anyone could perceive Huntsman as the likely nominee. He is not even a RINO, just another democrat. And you can forget about Romney. The Tea Party will exert a considerable influence on the nomination.

Anyone who calls Huntsman a RINO or Democrat knows absolutely nothing about the man. His resume also blows away all the other contenders.

You second point though is my main fear. A "tea party" candidate ensures 4 more years of the current administration.

Sugar Ron
09-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Yet another junior-varsity debate in Tampa tonight

Thankfully I won't have to deal with the con at the gym during our regular Monday lifting session this afternoon as he'll surely be at home glued to his tv monitor watching his hero Richard...

johnhannibalsmith
09-12-2011, 03:33 PM
... during our regular Monday lifting session this afternoon ...

You didn't need all that other fluff just to inform us what a tough guy you are.

:lol: :lol:

ArlJim78
09-12-2011, 03:54 PM
excitement is in the air, as Romney notches the all important Tim Pawlenty endorsement.

Sugar Ron
09-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Oh brother ... hanniballecter riding me now...

Sugar Ron
09-12-2011, 05:05 PM
excitement is in the air, as Romney notches the all important Tim Pawlenty endorsement.

Lol ... he must be so excited

bigmack
09-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Oh brother ... hanniballecter riding me now...
You mean you can't figure out you're viewed as a clown by a wide ranging demographic?

Shocking.

Robert Goren
09-12-2011, 06:18 PM
The CNN Tea Party debate is tonight. I wonder how many people will give up Monday Night Football to watch it. I know I won't.

Saratoga_Mike
09-12-2011, 06:32 PM
From CNN.com: "Can Jon Huntsman build momentum?: The ex-Utah governor and former U.S. ambassador to China is struggling in the polls, so his showing Monday night is especially important. Huntsman earned positive reviews for his performance at last week's debate when he tried to differentiate himself from the rest of the field by portraying the other candidates as too conservative to win the race for the White House."

Hah. He received positive reviews from the media (he's John McCain in 2000, i.e., a media darling), not the Rep Party or the public at large. Huntsman will never be selected as the GOP candidate. At one point, I had hopes for him, then he ran his "above-the-fray-I-don't-stand-for-anything" campaign.

hcap
09-12-2011, 06:36 PM
The CNN Tea Party debate is tonight. I wonder how many people will give up Monday Night Football to watch it. I know I won't.

31.5 million watched Obama the other night. What was the audience for the last retug debate? Read that overall it averaged 5.4 million viewers for the duration.

Gee, maybe CNN will break that spectacular figure?

hcap
09-12-2011, 06:40 PM
You mean you can't figure out you're viewed as a clown by a wide ranging demographic?

Shocking.I believe Ron coined that famous one liner "Burger Boy". IMHO, very funny, but not at all clownish.

boxcar
09-12-2011, 06:50 PM
31.5 million watched Obama the other night. What was the audience for the last retug debate? Read that overall it averaged 5.4 million viewers for the duration.

Gee, maybe CNN will break that spectacular figure?

You're lying through your teeth, 'cap. I posted the numbers the other day. It was 5.4 Mil just for MSNBC which earned them the highest ratings for the season. It was also over 5 mil for FNC and CNN had about 3.5 mil, as I recall.

Boxcar

hcap
09-12-2011, 06:59 PM
You're lying through your teeth, 'cap. I posted the numbers the other day. It was 5.4 Mil just for MSNBC which earned them the highest ratings for the season. It was also over 5 mil for FNC and CNN had about 3.5 mil, as I recall.

BoxcarOk, post the numbers and while your at it tell me what fraction of 31.5 million the total makes?

bigmack
09-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Ok, post the numbers and while your at it tell me what fraction of 31.5 million the total makes?
You don't feel at all silly about this line of debate?

Let me guess; you're trying to make a case that no one cares what the field of R's have to say and people are riveted by another BO speech based on ratings? :lol:

PaceAdvantage
09-12-2011, 08:16 PM
31.5 million watched Obama the other night. What was the audience for the last retug debate? Read that overall it averaged 5.4 million viewers for the duration.Knowing this makes election night 2012 that more personally dangerous for you.

My advice? Stay away from sharp knives, loaded guns, and open windows.

Greyfox
09-12-2011, 08:16 PM

If true, that's not surprising.
With over 14 million unemployed, if just they and 2 of their loved ones watched, the number would be much higher than that.

Tom
09-12-2011, 10:47 PM
31.5 million watched Obama the other night.

....and 31.25 million of them were quoterd as saying,
"Where the HELL is the pre-game show????"

Tom
09-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Knowing this makes election night 2012 that more personally dangerous for you.

My advice? Stay away from sharp knives, loaded guns, and open windows.

And keyboards! :lol::lol::lol: