PDA

View Full Version : Majestic City DQ'd from 2nd in DMR Futurity GR1

Stillriledup
09-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Warranted?

He bumped the 3rd place finisher badly near the wire, but it was pretty obvious he didnt cost the 8 a placing.

No way the 8 was "passing" the 4.

Or, do you beg to differ?

toussaud
09-07-2011, 08:56 PM
it was so close the finish and he did bump him i think you have to take him down.

turninforhome10
09-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Warranted?

He bumped the 3rd place finisher badly near the wire, but it was pretty obvious he didnt cost the 8 a placing.

No way the 8 was "passing" the 4.

Or, do you beg to differ?

So then you are saying that a jockey may impede a foe when it won't obviously cost him a placing? That sounds safe. Flores was driven' left handed from the top of the stretch. The rule is that "may" have cost a placing. Dont need anyone playin pinball with the babies.

outofthebox
09-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Easy call. Glad it' didn't take to long. Flores got carried away with the whip.

Stillriledup
09-07-2011, 09:02 PM
So then you are saying that a jockey may impede a foe when it won't obviously cost him a placing? That sounds safe. Flores was driven' left handed from the top of the stretch. The rule is that "may" have cost a placing. Dont need anyone playin pinball with the babies.

I know that in So Cal they are really concerned about the 'costing a placing' jazz, and since this didnt cost a placing, i'm not sure what the ruling was for the dq. You can see the 3rd place finisher wasnt 'gaining' the 4 was ahead of him when the bump happened and the 4 was 'gaining momentum' and was going to beat the 8 by at least a length at the end. That's the way i viewed it, but it appears the judges didnt have the same view.

outofthebox
09-07-2011, 09:06 PM
I know that in So Cal they are really concerned about the 'costing a placing' jazz, and since this didnt cost a placing, i'm not sure what the ruling was for the dq. You can see the 3rd place finisher wasnt 'gaining' the 4 was ahead of him when the bump happened and the 4 was 'gaining momentum' and was going to beat the 8 by at least a length at the end. That's the way i viewed it, but it appears the judges didnt have the same view.Maybe if it was a bump or drift, but this was a sharp veer into the 8 which caused him to hit the winner.

toussaud
09-07-2011, 09:06 PM
So then you are saying that a jockey may impede a foe when it won't obviously cost him a placing? That sounds safe. Flores was driven' left handed from the top of the stretch. The rule is that "may" have cost a placing. Dont need anyone playing pinball with the babies.
unless you are twirling candy and you are the even money in a grade 2 race of course and the horse you interfere with is 20 to 1, then it's "well he wasn't any good anyway, he probably wasn't going to win"

bigmack
09-07-2011, 09:12 PM
As long as Drill stayed up, who cares?

KirisClown
09-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Y2AhZRZyKIo

TiznowfaninNY
09-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Came over on the first and third place finishers pretty bad. Looked like a legit DQ to me.

speed
09-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Don't know if they corrected the timing of the race but there is an error. No way they ran 6 furlongs in 109.64 and 7F in 120.32.

bigmack
09-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Don't know if they corrected the timing of the race but there is an error. No way they ran 6 furlongs in 109.64 and 7F in 120.32.
FT was 1:22:16.

Greyfox
09-07-2011, 09:58 PM
The DQ on Majestic City was clearly justified.
The judges took several looks as #6 Drill also had to be looked at before finalizing his finish. They got it right.

Some_One
09-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Well the NYRA stewards would have said it happened to close to the wire, sigh...we need some consistency in stewards in racing.

toetoe
09-07-2011, 11:37 PM
As long as Drill stayed up, who cares?

I loved him, but did I bet him to win ? Heck no !!! I thought he would pay closer to $5 than $10.40, so I played the following pick/four:

ALL // :6: // :9: // :7: .

The Cookie Monster crumbled bad ... real bad. :(
Started with chalk and still paid over $600 !!! :eek: ... :bang:

davew
09-07-2011, 11:45 PM
if you look at the head-on starting at about 3:30 you can clearly see the inside hose drift out 4 lanes and about cause a crash pinching off the middle horse

sure looks like a DQ to me

but i did not have bet on race like you must have

Stillriledup
09-08-2011, 12:38 AM
I loved him, but did I bet him to win ? Heck no !!! I thought he would pay closer to $5 than $10.40, so I played the following pick/four:

ALL // :6: // :9: // :7: .

The Cookie Monster crumbled bad ... real bad. :(
Started with chalk and still paid over $600 !!! :eek: ... :bang:

Blindly betting Mike Mitchell first time claims will get you every time! :D

Stillriledup
09-08-2011, 12:39 AM
if you look at the head-on starting at about 3:30 you can clearly see the inside hose drift out 4 lanes and about cause a crash pinching off the middle horse

sure looks like a DQ to me

but i did not have bet on race like you must have

We're not arguing that there was or wasnt a 'crash'. We're discussing if the 3rd place finisher was cost a placing. I'm thinking he wasnt.

v j stauffer
09-08-2011, 02:52 AM
Don't forget Riles. The rule reads cost an "opportunity" at a better placing.

redshift1
09-08-2011, 03:02 AM
We're not arguing that there was or wasnt a 'crash'. We're discussing if the 3rd place finisher was cost a placing. I'm thinking he wasnt.

While you may be right we'll never know since the 8 was clearly interfered with before the wire and clearly had to break stride.

Stillriledup
09-08-2011, 04:30 AM
Don't forget Riles. The rule reads cost an "opportunity" at a better placing.

Thanks Vic!

I guess the 'interpretation' is the key here. You could theoretically say that any horse that's bumped, even if he loses by 20 lengths, was cost some sort of 'opportunity'. Hey, Silky Sullivan came from 30 lengths behind, so judges can go on the 'anything is possible' and just dq any bump or brush because the brusher could theoretically have cost the brushee a placing.

Since everything is 'judgment' calls, why not make the judgment that the 3pf (in this instance) wasnt realistically going to be 2nd. Did he have a 1 % chance to be 2nd? Absolutely. Did he have a 50% chance? Absolutely not.

From what i've seen so far with So Cal judging, which i happen to think is the best in the country at this point in time, is that judges won't make 'heroic' calls. In other words, even though the 3pf wasnt going to realistically be 3rd, the judges probably felt that there was at least a 20% chance he could have been 2nd...then, when you have the jock lying to them saying he wasnt out of horse when video shows his horse was going nowhere, its an 'easy' call for them to make.

I think the severity of the bump was the deal sealer here. Plus, the horse who was bothered was 4-5 so the judges also factored that into their call.