PDA

View Full Version : Laurel Park-100 years old

cj's dad
09-07-2011, 12:05 PM
LP opens Friday after a 15 week hiatus. Thank God !

http://www.wbal.com/absolutenm/templates/story.aspx?articleid=79590&zoneid=2

Beachbabe
09-07-2011, 03:08 PM
I guess I'm not alone in liking Laurel :ThmbUp:

One of the best turf courses around; very capable horsemen and a better than decent jockey colony.
IMO

thespaah
09-07-2011, 05:38 PM
LP opens Friday after a 15 week hiatus. Thank God !

http://www.wbal.com/absolutenm/templates/story.aspx?articleid=79590&zoneid=2
No graded stakes! Shocking!

thespaah
09-07-2011, 05:40 PM
I guess I'm not alone in liking Laurel :ThmbUp:

One of the best turf courses around; very capable horsemen and a better than decent jockey colony.
IMO
I was last there in 1988. The track grandstand was kind of run down.
Is it any better now?

Stillriledup
09-07-2011, 05:54 PM
I've done well betting Laurel the last time they were running. Glad to see the old girl come back!

Saratoga_Mike
09-07-2011, 06:55 PM
I was last there in 1988. The track grandstand was kind of run down.
Is it any better now?

They replaced the glass enclosing the grandstand about 10 yrs ago, as a few pieces had actually fallen out, I believe. Besides that, I don't think they've put much into the grandstand or the rest of the facility (no money, to state the obvious). However, the turf course was widened and the dirt track is still great. I hope they have a great meet!

mannyberrios
09-07-2011, 07:04 PM
It's older than me!

Shemp Howard
09-07-2011, 08:40 PM
I visited last October. Plant is a real dump.

What really bugs me is they've brought back the Laurel Futurity and the Selima. Except it's not a futurity and it's being run at 6f on the turf for a purse less than what it was worth when it was first run in the 1920's.

wisconsin
09-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Was a time when the Laurel Futurity was a major Derby stepping stone. How sad when such races fall by the wayside.

cj's dad
09-08-2011, 08:54 AM
To answer a few posters:

1- The clubhouse is clean and spacious.
2- The turf course is, according to the trainers, one of the best.
3- Laurels dirt course appears to be very safe as the breakdown rate there is minimal.
4- Several years back, the apron was elevated about 6' above the track surface which enhances race watching.
5-The paddock area is readily accessible.
6-The track is very accessible as it is about one mile off of I-95.
7-Nice video parlor with private seating for $

thespaah
09-08-2011, 12:21 PM
I visited last October. Plant is a real dump.

What really bugs me is they've brought back the Laurel Futurity and the Selima. Except it's not a futurity and it's being run at 6f on the turf for a purse less than what it was worth when it was first run in the 1920's.I had been there a few times in the 80's.
The grandstand interior was smokey and unkempt.
The walls needed a paint job. Even the glass at the front of the seating areas looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years. I was also dark due to the lack of adequate lighting.
One thing I did like about it was the location. Sort of out in the country. Easy to get to right off I-95.

JustRalph
09-08-2011, 01:11 PM
I had been there a few times in the 80's.
The grandstand interior was smokey and unkempt.
The walls needed a paint job. Even the glass at the front of the seating areas looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years. I was also dark due to the lack of adequate lighting.
One thing I did like about it was the location. Sort of out in the country. Easy to get to right off I-95.

Let me say, the above description is not the place I visited last fall. It is clean and nice. Good service etc. :ThmbUp:

shoelessjoe
09-08-2011, 07:43 PM
The best way to describe Laurel

Bad Races
Bad Jockeys

Bring back Bowie Race Course

Shemp Howard
09-08-2011, 08:59 PM
The best way to describe Laurel

Bad Races
Bad Jockeys

Bring back Bowie Race Course

A proud alumnus of "The Bowie Breed". Any other brothers out there?

shoelessjoe
09-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Best clam chowder at the soup bar

Loved that frozen track where it was nothing but speed from the rail

I liked betting Leatherbury off a long layoff with slow workouts,Eric Walsh in the irons.