PDA

View Full Version : Free Speech??

Mike at A+
09-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Back in 1994, I opened an account with America Online (AOL) and have kept my account active throughout the years. I have paid them thousands of dollars since 1994 although it is now free for several years.

Recently, AOL adopted the Huffington Post as their "news" content carrier. As with any other online venue, AOL/HuffPost gives users the ability to comment on news stories.

So yesterday, I signed up to start commenting on news stories. After the tragic shooting in Carson City, Nevada, I posed the question:

"Should Jimmy Hoffa be charged as an accomplice to mass murder"?

There was NO PROFANITY in my post, there was NO PERSONAL ATTACK against anyone and I was well within their posted "terms of service".

Within MINUTES, my account was terminated without explanation and my email address was summarily blocked.

Liberals believe in free speech ONLY if it agrees with their agenda. I saw SEVERAL POSTS that DID use profanity and DID contain personal attacks against other posters.

PaceAdvantage
09-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Wow...I find that hard to believe, especially the speed with which said banning took place.

I suggest others post simiar stuff on Huff stories to see what happens...would make for a good experiment.

Mike at A+
09-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Wow...I find that hard to believe, especially the speed with which said banning took place.

I suggest others post simiar stuff on Huff stories to see what happens...would make for a good experiment.

Account was created this morning and I made ONE POST ONLY.

Saratoga_Mike
09-07-2011, 11:39 AM
There's a liberal bias at AOL/Huffington. Why does this surprise anyone? What does it have to do with free speech? The government isn't stopping anyone from posting on the internet. It's a private company, no different than PA's right to delete any post he so desires. Of course from what you say, I'd say PA is much more tolerant of diverse views than AOL/Huff.

Mike at A+
09-07-2011, 12:07 PM
There's a liberal bias at AOL/Huffington. Why does this surprise anyone? What does it have to do with free speech? The government isn't stopping anyone from posting on the internet. It's a private company, no different than PA's right to delete any post he so desires. Of course from what you say, I'd say PA is much more tolerant of diverse views than AOL/Huff.
I agree with everything you're saying.

BUT

Had this been a white conservative who had books written by Ann Coulter, Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh in his home AND I said that THEY were complicit in mass murder, the comment would have been allowed to remain and would have probably gotten several high 5's from other posters. Also, I went over to the Fox News website to see a sample of comments there and it seems that many liberals post some very nasty stuff there in direct violation of the posted terms of service and those comments are allowed to remain. So I believe it has A LOT to do with free speech, especially considering that I've been posting similar things on AOL for years without any terms of service issues until HP arrived on the scene. They CLEARLY make a conscious effort to suppress any views (however civilly presented) that disagree with the DNC talking points. A message board should allow ALL civilly presented posts otherwise it turns into one big back slapping venue of mindless robots, similar to MSNBC.

Tom
09-07-2011, 02:02 PM
So, in keeping with the current events of the week, should we Tea Partiers "take out" the AOL Huff N Stuff? We, too, enjoy a good fight.

Da Tea Party is in da house!

This is going to be fun.

Spiderman
09-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Back in 1994, I opened an account with America Online (AOL) and have kept my account active throughout the years. I have paid them thousands of dollars since 1994 although it is now free for several years.

Recently, AOL adopted the Huffington Post as their "news" content carrier. As with any other online venue, AOL/HuffPost gives users the ability to comment on news stories.

So yesterday, I signed up to start commenting on news stories. After the tragic shooting in Carson City, Nevada, I posed the question:

There was NO PROFANITY in my post, there was NO PERSONAL ATTACK against anyone and I was well within their posted "terms of service".

Within MINUTES, my account was terminated without explanation and my email address was summarily blocked.

Liberals believe in free speech ONLY if it agrees with their agenda. I saw SEVERAL POSTS that DID use profanity and DID contain personal attacks against other posters.

Faux News will accept that kinda statement and of course, here at PA. What da f**k does Jimmy Hoffa, Jr have to do with the shooting in CC, NV?

FantasticDan
09-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Just so I've got this straight.. a few days ago, Hoffa gave a labor speech that tea partiers found insulting.

A couple days later, a person shot up an IHOP and killed several people.

Inspired by the reactionary blogosphere, Mike decides to connect the two (despite no evidence), and suggests on a forum that Hoffa should be charged as an accomplice to murder.

A forum admin removes the post. Stunned :eek: , Mike starts a topic on PA about it.

The PA admin expresses surprise that a forum would do such a thing as remove such an inflammatory and ill-conceived post, and recommends people make more posts on the offending forum just like it.

Do I have it right?

PaceAdvantage
09-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Faux News will accept that kinda statement and of course, here at PA. What da f**k does Jimmy Hoffa, Jr have to do with the shooting in CC, NV?Jimmy Hoffa was using inciteful terms in his recent speech before introducing the crowd to Obama...terms like WAR, ARMY, and "take them out"...

You know, kind of like Sarah Palin was accused of having a part in the shooting of Gabrielle Giffords because she happened to use a target site in some political promotional material..

In this crazy world of ours, you never know what might set someone off. That's why Palin took the heat she took, and why Hoffa deserves it too...we can blame anything and everything on Hoffa, Obama, whatever...

Just like you guys blamed everything on Bush, Haliburton, etc.

PaceAdvantage
09-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Just so I've got this straight.. a few days ago, Hoffa gave a labor speech that tea partiers found insulting.

Inspired by the reactionary blogosphere, Mike decides to connect the two (despite no evidence), and suggests on a forum that Hoffa should be charged as an accomplice to murder.

A forum admin removes the post. Stunned :eek: , Mike starts a topic on PA about it.

The PA admin expresses surprise that a forum would do such a thing as remove such an inflammatory and ill-conceived post, and recommends people make more posts on the offending forum just like it.

Do I have it right?It wasn't just a little ol' forum. It was comments left on stories at Huffington Post. Big difference.

And my surprise was that a huge organization like that would remove his comment and BAN him like that SO QUICKLY.

Now maybe you have it more right.

FantasticDan
09-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Jimmy Hoffa was using inciteful terms in his recent speech before introducing the crowd to Obama...terms like WAR, ARMY, and "take them out"...
http://mediamatters.org/blog/201109050003
:sleeping:

Mike at A+
09-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Faux News will accept that kinda statement and of course, here at PA. What da f**k does Jimmy Hoffa, Jr have to do with the shooting in CC, NV?
About as much as the Tea Party had to do with Jared Loughner. NOTHING. But the immediate leap from the left (not just pundits but POLITICIANS) was that the incendiary rhetoric (in their minds) of the Tea Party and nonsense about "crosshairs" was the cause of Gabbi Giffords getting half her skull blown off. Obama gave his famous "civility" speech after Giffords got shot and targeted rhetoric of those on the right. It was later revealed that rhetoric had no influence on Jared Loughner's actions. When Jimmy Hoffa made incendiary comments that were MUCH MORE EXPLICIT than anything said by the Tea Party ("take them out" doesn't mean take them out on a date for dinner and a movie), Obama didn't make a peep. Maybe he will in days to come but I'm not holding my breath.

As for me, I ENJOY giving back to the left the same garbage they put forth when it's convenient for them to do so. And I ENJOY watching them complain about it. I ENJOY exposing the double standard.

But when a nationally syndicated "news" venue like HuffPost terminates the ability of a poster to CIVILLY post something they disagree with, it speaks volumes about their partisanship and their belief that it's OK to suppress opposing views.

As for your "Faux" News comment, it's evident to me and others that you too have been drinking the Obama Koolaid.

Mike at A+
09-07-2011, 02:52 PM

Do I have it right?
Almost. They removed a post that is basically a mirror image of similar posts that do the same thing but against people and concepts they dislike. They also have revoked my ability to participate AT ALL in their forum. In other words, I don't fit into their mold of tree hugging, Obama butt kissing , conservative bashing, liberal robots.

PaceAdvantage
09-07-2011, 02:54 PM
:sleeping:We all knew exactly what Hoffa meant, just like we knew the crosshairs used by Palin didn't actually mean you should go and shoot whomever was shown under the target.

Why does any of this need to be explained? It's always common sense, except when it comes to conservatives and Republicans...when they use a crosshair, it should be taken literally. But when Hoffa uses terms like WAR, ARMY and "TAKE THEM OUT" (all terms he used at some point in the speech, FOX editing or not), it's supposed to be understood he was speaking metaphorically and meant only about the power to vote.

DUH!

How come there wasn't as much understanding with Palin's obvious symbolic use of the target? Why did the left take that literally?

Oh, I know why.... :faint:

dartman51
09-07-2011, 02:55 PM

J.H. JR, had just as much to do with the shooting in CC,NV as Sarah Palin did in the shooting in AZ, of Gabby Gifford, and others. Which is what the left was trying very hard to establish, because of some targets on a map. One makes just as much sense as the other.

Spiderman
09-07-2011, 03:01 PM
J.H. JR, had just as much to do with the shooting in CC,NV as Sarah Palin did in the shooting in AZ, of Gabby Gifford, and others. Which is what the left was trying very hard to establish, because of some targets on a map. One makes just as much sense as the other.

Got an axe to grind about Sarah mouthing-off, fine. Real civilized society goes beyond your fantasyland PA activities. As you once wrote, get real. Now, you have a nice day. :)

Tom
09-07-2011, 03:17 PM
:sleeping:

Wake up -- NOTHING was altered...here the transcript.
MM is lying. What else is new.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110906/NEWS15/110906056/Transcript-Teamsters-Jim-Hoffa-s-speech-Labor-Day

There is a war on workers…..

We have to keep an eye on the battle we face — a war on workers. And you see it everywhere there is the Tea Party……

The one thing about working people is we like a good fight…..

lets take these sons-of-bitches out…..

FantasticDan
09-07-2011, 03:22 PM
How come there wasn't as much understanding with Palin's obvious symbolic use of the target? Why did the left take that literally?
Because she also tweeted the following in concert with the crosshairs?

"Commonsense Conservatives & lovers of America: 'Don't Retreat, Instead - RELOAD!' Pls see my Facebook page."

Obviously terminology that fit well with her gun-loving image, right?

There's no way to "literally" interpret Hoffa's comments in any way other than how he said them, how he meant them. Fox and the rightie blogs needed to purposely edit his comments out of context to "create" their BS outrage.

FantasticDan
09-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Wake up -- NOTHING was altered...here the transcript.
MM is lying. What else is new.
The transcript jibes with exactly what MM was saying.

PaceAdvantage
09-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Because she also tweeted the following in concert with the crosshairs?

"Commonsense Conservatives & lovers of America: 'Don't Retreat, Instead - RELOAD!' Pls see my Facebook page."

Obviously terminology that fit well with her gun-loving image, right?

There's no way to "literally" interpret Hoffa's comments in any way other than how he said them, how he meant them. Fox and the rightie blogs needed to purposely edit his comments out of context to "create" their BS outrage.I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Hoffa's speech included the words WAR, ARMY and "TAKE THEM OUT" did it not? Forget any editing, his speech included these words, correct?

NJ Stinks
09-07-2011, 03:52 PM
In other words, I don't fit into their mold of tree hugging, Obama butt kissing , conservative bashing, liberal robots.

If it makes you feel any better, you don't fit mine either. ;)

fast4522
09-07-2011, 03:59 PM
And where was his daddy buried?

Mike at A+
09-07-2011, 03:59 PM
And that's a good thing. My ONLY point here is that a nationally syndicated "news" outlet should hold EVERYONE to the same standards and not prevent anyone from doing the exact opposite of things they approve of, in a civil manner of course. And as long as they behave that way, the double standard will be very obvious to all, ignored by those who don't lose their rights and publicized by those who do. I am proud to be in the first and third of those groups.

FantasticDan
09-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Hoffa's speech included the words WAR, ARMY and "TAKE THEM OUT" did it not? Forget any editing, his speech included these words, correct?Correct. I never suggested otherwise.

Even some MSM ran with the edited out of context clips:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201109070009

mostpost
09-07-2011, 04:30 PM
On the legal merits, you have none. First of all the correct term is accessory. An accomplice is someone who is at the scene. An Accessory helps plan or encourages the commission of a crime or helps the perpetrator afterwards, but is not present during the crime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessory_(legal_term)
Excerpt:
A person who incites another to a crime will become a member of a conspiracy if agreement is reached, and may then be considered an accessory or a joint principal if the crime is eventually committed.
I seriously doubt if Sencion consulted with Hoffa.

Excerpt II
To be convicted of an accessory charge, the accused must generally be proved to have had actual knowledge that a crime was going to be, or had been, committed. Furthermore, there must be proof that the accessory knew that his or her action, or inaction, was helping the criminals commit the crime, or evade detection, or escape.

Hoffa had no knowledge of Sencion or his plans.

NJ Stinks
09-07-2011, 04:36 PM
And that's a good thing. My ONLY point here is that a nationally syndicated "news" outlet should hold EVERYONE to the same standards and not prevent anyone from doing the exact opposite of things they approve of, in a civil manner of course. And as long as they behave that way, the double standard will be very obvious to all, ignored by those who don't lose their rights and publicized by those who do. I am proud to be in the first and third of those groups.

I can understand why you are upset, Mike. Honest.

What happened to you at the Huffington Post website was and is wrong.

Mike at A+
09-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Thanks mostie for pointing out the obvious. But that WASN'T my point. My point WAS that HuffPost has a double standard when it comes to allowing someone to say something outrageous (like positing that Sarah Palin's "crosshairs" incited Jared Loughner to shoot Gabbi Giffords) because it fits their agenda of bashing Sarah Palin whenever possible and then NOT allowing someone to say something just as outrageous (like positing that Hoffa incited the Carson City shooter) because it doesn't fit their agenda of protecting everyone/everything liberal/Democrat/union.

mostpost
09-07-2011, 04:40 PM
I think it is a stretch to think Sarah's cross hairs or Hoffa's speech had anything to do with either shooting. But I also think there is a difference between someone suggesting there was a connection between those things and the act that followed and someone thinking that a criminal offense was committed by James Hoffa. I think Mike was banned for not knowing the difference between accomplice and accessory. :D

bigmack
09-07-2011, 04:55 PM
I think it is a stretch to think Sarah's cross hairs
Now that ya'll are splitting hairs, can you or FanDan point us to any of your posts in or around Jan/Feb '11, that show you thought the whole 'Palin crosshairs' accusation was ridiculous?

I believe you and your comrades were either mum or encouraging of such idiocy.

toetoe
09-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Wow...I find that hard to believe ...

I find it hard to believe that you find that hard to believe.

toetoe
09-07-2011, 05:01 PM
On the legal merits, you have none. First of all the correct term is accessory. An accomplice is someone who is at the scene.

Dear Wiser-Than-Thou,

An accomplice is anyone who is complicit; anyone who complies with the perpetrator. Your pose is ridiculous. Apologies if I am giving you old news.

johnhannibalsmith
09-07-2011, 05:03 PM
I can understand why you are upset, Mike. Honest.

What happened to you at the Huffington Post website was and is wrong.

Hallelujah, amen, praise Boxcar.

I want someone to retract the post about NJ not being a thinker... or else we should all not think so much.

boxcar
09-07-2011, 05:05 PM

God destroyed your mold the day you were born out of his compassion for the planet. ;)

Boxcar

johnhannibalsmith
09-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Now that ya'll are splitting hairs, can you or FanDan point us to any of your posts in or around Jan/Feb '11, that show you thought the whole 'Palin crosshairs' accusation was ridiculous?

I believe you and your comrades were either mum or encouraging of such idiocy.

I may be wrong but I actually have a recollection that mostpost was pretty much quietly in agreement that such idiocy was indeed idiocy. I may be confusing mostpost with myself, but I think I remember that.

PaceAdvantage
09-07-2011, 05:17 PM
I find it hard to believe that you find that hard to believe.Why? Compared to HuffPost, this site is like some tiny mom and pop joint. I find it hard to believe a big outfit like that has people just sitting there waiting to delete posts and ban folks.

Here, it's all I have to look forward to... :lol:

bigmack
09-07-2011, 05:17 PM
I may be confusing mostpost with myself
Heaven hep us. Don't tell me it's a case of an evil twin, popularized by Holliewood?

Often, the evil twin was designated by a goatee but I don't think Samatha's evil twin on Bewitched wore one.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/56/STMirrorMirror.jpg/220px-STMirrorMirror.jpg
"Evil" Spock

NJ Stinks
09-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Why? Compared to HuffPost, this site is like some tiny mom and pop joint. I find it hard to believe a big outfit like that has people just sitting there waiting to delete posts and ban folks.

Here, it's all I have to look forward to... :lol:

Good one, PA! :D

And John, thanks for the reminder! :mad: :)

Dick Schmidt
09-07-2011, 06:24 PM
"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

François-Marie Arouet (21 November 1694 – 30 May 1778), better known by the pen name Voltaire, was a French Enlightenment writer, essayist and philosopher known for his defense of civil liberties, including freedom of religion and the right to a fair trial. He was an outspoken supporter of social reform.

Many of Voltaire's works and ideas would influence both the important thinkers of the American Revolution and the French Revolution.

Voltaire set the standard for free speech a long time ago and it has never been improved upon. Obviously the Huffington folks don't agree.

Dick

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Pace Cap'n
09-07-2011, 07:17 PM
On some sites, if one has unverifiable info in User CP, the very act of posting will result in an instantaneous ban.

mostpost
09-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Dear Wiser-Than-Thou,

An accomplice is anyone who is complicit; anyone who complies with the perpetrator. Your pose is ridiculous. Apologies if I am giving you old news.

Put your dictionary away. We're talking legal definition here.

bigmack
09-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Put your dictionary away. We're talking legal definition here.
Let me get this straight, you're going to take on toes AND you think he actually cracked out a dictionary to know you were wrong about accomplice? :lol:

You'd best crack one out.

toetoe
09-07-2011, 09:47 PM

Mostpost might simply answer, "No," but that would not have sufficient degradation value; hence the lesson in res gestae.

Mike at A+
09-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Obviously, my original question "Should Jimmy Hoffa be charged as an accomplice to mass murder"? was simply a means of stimulating debate and seeking comments from the same people who condemned Sarah Palin for using crosshairs on an electoral map and for seeking responses as to whether Obama should speak out against Jimmy Hoffa's comments in pretty much the same way he did toward the Tea Party after the Giffords shooting in Arizona. And from what I've read here from the people I expected answers from, it confirms my belief that there IS a HUGE double standard employed by liberals and Obama supporters. Even in the media, I see pretty much the same thing. The most stern comment I heard so far was by Bob Beckel who dismissed the comments as a poor choice of words. It will be interesting to hear if Obama mentions the Nevada murders tomorrow night, says anything about Hoffa's comments or even if he acknowledges that the shootings were perpetrated by a Mexican who had access to automatic weapons that in all liklihood he wasn't authorized to legally carry.

mostpost
09-08-2011, 12:12 AM
I may be wrong but I actually have a recollection that mostpost was pretty much quietly in agreement that such idiocy was indeed idiocy. I may be confusing mostpost with myself, but I think I remember that.
Here's how to tell. You're the good looking one.

mostpost
09-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Let me get this straight, you're going to take on toes AND you think he actually cracked out a dictionary to know you were wrong about accomplice? :lol:

You'd best crack one out.

I am aware of toetoe's word skills. I was pointing out that what is in the dictionary is not as relevant as what is in the law books. And there clearly is a difference between accessory and accomplice. Accomplice is the wrong word in legal terms. To say nothing of the fact that Hoffa was neither accomplice or accessory.

FantasticDan
09-08-2011, 12:21 AM
It will be interesting to hear if Obama mentions the Nevada murders tomorrow night, says anything about Hoffa's comments or even if he acknowledges that the shootings were perpetrated by a Mexican who had access to automatic weapons that in all liklihood he wasn't authorized to legally carry.What the hell are you talking about? Why are you still connecting the NV murders and Hoffa? And why would the President bring up any of those things in an economic/job plan speech?

There was also a murder spree in West VA the other day.. maybe the Prez should bring that up too.. :bang:

newtothegame
09-08-2011, 12:27 AM
What the hell are you talking about? Why are you still connecting the NV murders and Hoffa? And why would the President bring up any of those things in an economic/job plan speech?

There was also a murder spree in West VA the other day.. maybe the Prez should bring that up too.. :bang:
maybe because the president has a knack for bringing up things like how people (referring to the right) need to put away "hate" speech and vitrol and things of the sort and be more bipartisan in getting things done....
When Obama needs help on issues, he has a knack for stirring up the pot so that people will bend to those wishes. Problem is , remember that thing called the tea party....they are not in this to bend and cave on all the money Obama is bound to ask for tomorrow....

mostpost
09-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Mostpost might simply answer, "No," but that would not have sufficient degradation value; hence the lesson in res gestae.

I might not and it has nothing to do with degradation. Nothing in my original post #25 was degrading. I said Mike at A+ legal argument had no merit. It didn't. I told him the difference between accomplice and accessory. And I explained why accessory did not apply.
If you think any of that was degradation, you had better look up "degradation" in that dictionary you don't need.

FantasticDan
09-08-2011, 12:29 AM
Also Mike, what's your prediction for how much the market tanks on FRI after the Prez's speech THU nite? I'm sure it will be carefully tailored to maximize reparations as usual, but I'm concerned that with the overnight lag time, it won't have quite the same impact.

Tom
09-08-2011, 07:54 AM
The transcript jibes with exactly what MM was saying.And it jibes with what has been reported. What was altered?

Mike at A+
09-08-2011, 10:37 AM
What the hell are you talking about? Why are you still connecting the NV murders and Hoffa? And why would the President bring up any of those things in an economic/job plan speech?

See post #43. THAT'S why I'm still bringing it up. The Tea Party had nothing to do with the Arizona shootings yet he felt compelled to take a verbal shot at them. This isn't about "connection". It's about consistency.

Mike at A+
09-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Also Mike, what's your prediction for how much the market tanks on FRI after the Prez's speech THU nite? I'm sure it will be carefully tailored to maximize reparations as usual, but I'm concerned that with the overnight lag time, it won't have quite the same impact.
The impact is more noticable when he speaks during trading hours. As for what happens Friday, it has more to do with what he actually says Thursday night. If he supports increased domestic drilling and tax incentives, the market will rise considerably. If he talks about infrastructure projects that only unionized construction workers are qualified to do and closing tax loopholes, the market will fall. The sad part about it is that he knows today how the market will react tomorrow.

Mike at A+
09-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Here's an update on the HuffPost incident. I logged into AOL to check mail and saw that I got something from them. I figured it would be an explanation of why my account was terminated and my email address blocked. WRONG! It was their "Thursday's Daily Brief". My reply to this email was three words whose initials are "GFY". Apparently I'm worthy of reading their opinions but they don't want to hear mine.

rastajenk
09-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Keep fighting the good fight, Mike, and make sure your sump pump is working well.

Robert Goren
09-08-2011, 12:50 PM
The word "sucker" come to mind here.

Mike at A+
09-08-2011, 12:54 PM
The word "sucker" come to mind here.
Actually I purchased a service that came with internet access and was well worth the $19.95/month considering that the dialup numbers were all local calls. And basically it paid for itself as AOL held the first iteration of my website for several years with no extra charge. Sucker? Nope. Smart business sense? You bet.

Mike at A+
09-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Keep fighting the good fight, Mike, and make sure your sump pump is working well.
Basement is dry right now and I've never needed a sump pump for the small amounts of water I've seen over 25 years. We have a hairline crack in the foundation that leaks maybe once a year and all we usually do is put a few towels down when necessary. Also, the fitting at my well pump isn't as tight as it should be so occasionally we get some water in at that location. But I found a solution that would make Rube Goldberg proud. I cut the bottom off of a 2 liter soda bottle and connected an old shower hose to the bottle top (it fits perfect). I then punched two small holes in the bottle and suspended it upside down to the pipe fitting with string and the shower hose leading to a bucket on the floor.

newtothegame
09-10-2011, 01:28 AM

Did you get your answer to the above question??? :lol:

"The dollar weakened against the euro, paring its weekly gain, after President Barack Obama spoke to Congress and proposed a $447 billion plan to spur U.S. job creation."
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/ASBNX-ASIA-ASIASTAFF-ASIASTORY/2011/09/08/id/410311

Like clockwork.....:bang:

FantasticDan
09-10-2011, 02:38 AM
:D Yeah, those markets really hated the talk of injecting more $$ into the economy.. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, back on earth.. the real reason for yet another market fart:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0911/63110.html

Deep skepticism about Congress passing President Barack Obama’s $447 billion jobs package and fears that Greece could slip into default sparked a severe stock market selloff on Friday.

newtothegame
09-10-2011, 04:32 AM
LOL I give ya credit Dano....you get your head handed too you (as you thought for sure the market would react positively)...and you still come back with another spin.
call it Greece, call it sh!t on a stick if you like but no denying that when Obama speaks...the market reacts! lol

Mike at A+
09-10-2011, 08:57 AM
About that impact?

FantasticDan
09-10-2011, 10:47 AM
LOL I give ya credit Dano....you get your head handed too you (as you thought for sure the market would react positively)...and you still come back with another spin.
call it Greece, call it sh!t on a stick if you like but no denying that when Obama speaks...the market reacts! lolYou certainly have the LOL part right in suggesting that the market would react negatively to a stimulus speech.. oh but it was Obama who spoke. That explains it. Thank you, right-wing blogosphere..

As I said, back to reality. Europe and the prospect of the repubs killing his plan is what caused the crapper. It's not spin, it's fact.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/10/business/daily-stock-market-activity.html

A speech on jobs by President Obama did little to lift the malaise because of uncertainty over whether the program would pass and help the recovery, analysts said.

Tom
09-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Did you play a part in a Monty Python movie?
zKhEw7nD9C4