PDA

View Full Version : Obama Stamp

llegend39
09-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Stamp Malfunction?

The Postal Services created a stamp with a picture of President Obama on it. The Postal Service noticed that the stamp was not sticking to envelopes. This enraged the President, who demanded a full investigation. After a month of testing and $1.73 million in congressional spending, a special Presidential commission presented the following findings:

1.The stamp is in perfect order.
2.There is nothing wrong with the glue.
3. People are spitting on the wrong side.

Robert Goren
09-07-2011, 09:18 AM
An updated verision of an old FDR joke. Although, it still is pretty funny.

BlueShoe
09-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Speaking about the Post Office, in case anyone missed it, the Postmaster General has gone whining to Congress, hat in hand, begging for more money. The usual threats have been given, the P.O. will shut down, forced to go bankrupt, etc. Perhaps if they operated as a business instead of a bloated inefficient monopoly the red ink might vanish, but that would be asking too much of government employees, right?

Tom
09-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Shut'er down - it is a money pit.
They refuse to cut stupid costs, we don't need the USPS.

HUSKER55
09-07-2011, 04:26 PM
I agree, Tom. You should run for office. I would vote for you. Lets see, 1 down and a few more to go! :D

boxcar
09-07-2011, 04:58 PM

Exactly! Like public unions and many in the private sector, as well, they both have been operating well past their 20th Century expiration date. It's time to take them both out -- and not to dinner either.

Boxcar

woodtoo
09-07-2011, 05:17 PM
I've seen ads on CNN lately,they say the USPS is totally self sufficient thru
stamp sales and such.
Didn't believe it for a second.

Robert Goren
09-07-2011, 05:25 PM
They refuse to cut stupid costs, we don't need the USPS.That would require a constitutional amendment. Good Luck with that. Not even tea party congressmen are going to give up their free mail.

NJ Stinks
09-07-2011, 05:53 PM

Good idea, Tom. Let's get another 500,000+ on the unemployment line ASAP. Just what our economy needs right about now.

The Tom/Husker ticket for a drearier tomorrow. :rolleyes:

TJDave
09-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Good idea, Tom. Let's get another 500,000+ on the unemployment line ASAP. Just what our economy needs right about now.

What if we shipped 'em all off to one State?

Robert Goren
09-07-2011, 06:05 PM
What if we shipped 'em all off to one State?Acoording Rick Perry, Texas could handle all them and more.;)

mostpost
09-07-2011, 10:22 PM
stamp sales and such.
Of course you didn't. Then prove to us that it is wrong. :bang: :bang:

bigmack
09-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Guess what the % of operating expenses for USPS is in payroll and pensions?

80! :lol:

Let's see that work in the real world.

Saratoga_Mike
09-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Of course you didn't. Then prove to us that it is wrong. :bang: :bang:

Ok, I guess you missed the NY Times article from a few days ago...

"In recent weeks, Mr. Donahoe (postmaster general) has been pushing a series of painful cost-cutting measures to erase the agency’s deficit, which will reach $9.2 billion this fiscal year."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/05/business/in-internet-age-postal-service-struggles-to-stay-solvent-and-relevant.html

Saratoga_Mike
09-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Guess what the % of operating expenses for USPS is in payroll and pensions?

80! :lol:

Let's see that work in the real world.

"Labor represents 80 percent of the agency’s expenses, compared with 53 percent at United Parcel Service and 32 percent at FedEx, its two biggest private competitors. Postal workers also receive more generous health benefits than most other federal employees." NY Times, Sept 4, 2011 (see link above).

mostpost
09-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Ok, I guess you missed the NY Times article from a few days ago...

"In recent weeks, Mr. Donahoe (postmaster general) has been pushing a series of painful cost-cutting measures to erase the agency’s deficit, which will reach $9.2 billion this fiscal year."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/05/business/in-internet-age-postal-service-struggles-to-stay-solvent-and-relevant.html

Here is a perfect example of how two people see the same thing and interpret in two very different ways.

Woodtoo posted:
stamp sales and such.

It's my fault for not reading what Woodtoo said. On the other hand the ads don't say what Woodtoo said they do. The ads say that no tax dollars are used to operate the USPS. True. They say that revenue from stamp sales and other services are used. Also True. The ads do not say that revenue from these sources is sufficient to cover operating expenses.

I think that Woodtoo was saying that USPS was lying about not using tax money in its operations. In that case he is wrong.

I am well aware that USPS is in financial difficulty. I am also aware that much of it is exaggerated. For Example news stories tell us that USPS will likely default on a $5.5B payment to its retiree healthcare fund, but they don't tell you that the USPS retiree healthcare fund is currently prefunded through 2086. No other government agency or private company has anywhere close to that requirement.

USPS has also over funded its two pension accounts by between $55B and $80B.

The healthcare prefunding was a requirement of the 2006 Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act which was a thinly disguised attempt to destroy USPS.

The pension over payments were due to a misinterpretation of the law by the Office of Management and Budget, which now refuses to return the money to USPS.

Legislation to correct these flaws is now being held up in committee by the scumbag Darrel Issa.

mostpost
09-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Stamp Malfunction?

The Postal Services created a stamp with a picture of President Obama on it. The Postal Service noticed that the stamp was not sticking to envelopes. This enraged the President, who demanded a full investigation. After a month of testing and $1.73 million in congressional spending, a special Presidential commission presented the following findings:

1.The stamp is in perfect order.
2.There is nothing wrong with the glue.
3. People are spitting on the wrong side.

It is only the conservatives which are spitting on the wrong side, which means they are really stupid, because all stamps have been self adhesive for many years. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OntheRail
09-08-2011, 01:54 AM
When wondering how the US Postal Service could find itself in a $7 billion hole, perhaps decisions like this might explain it. Court documents in a fraud probe involving doping allegations in Lance Armstrong’s cycling team show that the USPS paid almost $32 million for a four-year sponsorship from 2001-2004:

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/01/15/post-office-paid-almost-32-million-for-lance-armstrong-sponsorship/

Really 32 MILLION.... unfriggin believable.
Wonder how much does it cost to sponsor their Nascar Team? :rolleyes:

OntheRail
09-08-2011, 02:14 AM
It is only the conservatives which are spitting on the wrong side, which means they are really stupid, because all stamps have been self adhesive for many years. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MoPo's full of it... like most of his kind they don't let facts get in the way :rolleyes:. Not ALL stamps are self-adhesive... they still have rolls that require spit to make em' stick.

https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10052&categoryId=10000003&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=&top_category=10000003&top=Y

Saratoga_Mike
09-08-2011, 07:15 AM
Here is a perfect example of how two people see the same thing and interpret in two very different ways.

I am well aware that USPS is in financial difficulty. I am also aware that much of it is exaggerated. For Example news stories tell us that USPS will likely default on a $5.5B payment to its retiree healthcare fund, but they don't tell you that the USPS retiree healthcare fund is currently prefunded through 2086. No other government agency or private company has anywhere close to that requirement.

USPS has also over funded its two pension accounts by between $55B and $80B.

The healthcare prefunding was a requirement of the 2006 Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act which was a thinly disguised attempt to destroy USPS.

The pension over payments were due to a misinterpretation of the law by the Office of Management and Budget, which now refuses to return the money to USPS.

Legislation to correct these flaws is now being held up in committee by the scumbag Darrel Issa.

First, I never feel like you're the Harlem Globetrotters. Too often, you just aren't fully informed or make false claims (hey you aren't alone here). You obviously didn't read the NY Times article (cardinal sin for a liberal). Issa's a scumbag? What about Obama? He is the one who has shown "discomfort" with changing the pension situation?

"Senators Carper and Collins do back several of the postal service’s main ideas to avoid default, including recovering around $60 billion that some actuaries say the agency has overpaid into two pension funds. Although the Obama administration is working closely with the senators to find a solution, it has signaled discomfort with the pension proposals, questioning whether the postal service really overpaid."

mostpost
09-08-2011, 10:24 AM
First, I never feel like you're the Harlem Globetrotters. Too often, you just aren't fully informed or make false claims (hey you aren't alone here). You obviously didn't read the NY Times article (cardinal sin for a liberal). Issa's a scumbag? What about Obama? He is the one who has shown "discomfort" with changing the pension situation?

"Senators Carper and Collins do back several of the postal service’s main ideas to avoid default, including recovering around $60 billion that some actuaries say the agency has overpaid into two pension funds. Although the Obama administration is working closely with the senators to find a solution, it has signaled discomfort with the pension proposals, questioning whether the postal service really overpaid."

Issa's a scumbag because he is using his power as head of the banking regulatory committee to pressure federal regulators into not investigating banking irregularities. I won't even talk about the car he allegedly stole while in the Army.

You say Obama has shown discomfort, but the story says Obama administration. I would like a clearer definition of "Obama administration." The Postal Service and several independent auditors say they have overpaid. The Office of Personnel Management says they have not. (Clarification: In other posts I may have said Office of Management and Budget. That was incorrect.)

The White House position is clear in this story from Post & Parcel.
http://postandparcel.info/41945/news/obama-plan-to-seek-remedy-for-struggling-us-postal-service

John Berry, director at the Administration’s Office of Personnel Management said this afternoon in the Senate hearing that the Administration would include assistance to the Postal Service as part of the national debt reduction plan.

He said the Administration was keen to provide USPS access to its $6.9bn federal retirement fund overpayment and delay its Retiree Healthcare Benefits payment for this year, which runs to $5.5bn by 90 days.

So this story clearly states that Obama is working to solve the problem and details the way in which he is doing it. On the other hand the NY Times story has a nebulous statement that an unnamed person has signaled discomfort.

mostpost
09-08-2011, 10:34 AM
"Labor represents 80 percent of the agency’s expenses, compared with 53 percent at United Parcel Service and 32 percent at FedEx, its two biggest private competitors. Postal workers also receive more generous health benefits than most other federal employees." NY Times, Sept 4, 2011 (see link above).
And just how do UPS and Fed Ex keep employee costs so low? Very simply. They pay substandard wages and benefits. They also hire many part time employees. These are typical policies in private industry and these are policies that extend and exacerbate the current economic crisis.
These are all part and parcel of the ludicrous conservative theory that if we do everything to increase business profit, business will produce more products and we will be magically on our way to eternal prosperity. A theory that gives no consideration to the question, "Who is going to buy those products when nobody is making any money." Except the upper one percent.

I have little problem with USPS spending 80% on labor. I have a big problem with FedEx spending 32%.

mostpost
09-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Postal workers also receive more generous health benefits than most other federal employees."
All federal employees, including postal workers are covered under the Federal Employees Health Benefits Plan (FEHB). How then is it possible that Postal Employees receive more generous benefits?

Tom
09-08-2011, 11:08 AM
And just how do UPS and Fed Ex keep employee costs so low? Very simply. They pay reasonable wages and benefits. They also hire many part time employees, which helps many people who cannot work full time to still earn a decent living. These are typical policies in private industry and these are policies that could drastically reduce the current economic crisis - intelligent management.

FTFY

mostpost
09-08-2011, 11:43 AM
FTFY

Like I said "ludicrous conservative theory"

Tom
09-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Like I said "ludicrous conservative theory that shows a profit instead of losing 9 billion a year."

FTFY2

bigmack
09-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Issa's a scumbag because...I won't even talk about the car he allegedly stole while in the Army.
:lol: :lol:

No need to split hairs as you tend to do. Drive a truck through that allegation.

woodtoo
09-08-2011, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE=mostpost]Here is a perfect example of how two people see the same thing and interpret in two very different ways.

Woodtoo posted:

It's my fault for not reading what Woodtoo said. On the other hand the ads don't say what Woodtoo said they do. The ads say that no tax dollars are used to operate the USPS. True. They say that revenue from stamp sales and other services are used. Also True. The ads do not say that revenue from these sources is sufficient to cover operating expenses.

I think that Woodtoo was saying that USPS was lying about not using tax money in its operations. In that case he is wrong.

I didn't say they were lying,just that I didn't believe it.:D
If there is no tax $ used this is a good thing.

The ad still says what I said it did,tho I forgot about the tax part.