PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Mode

Longshot
09-05-2011, 12:37 PM
My daughter bought a new HP desktop computer with Windows 7 last week.
She called me yesterday and told me that she could not get her computer to work. All she gets is the pictures on the screen saver. Even if she reboots it comes up on the screen saver. Any suggestions.

Keith

Canarsie
09-05-2011, 01:14 PM
My daughter bought a new HP desktop computer with Windows 7 last week.
She called me yesterday and told me that she could not get her computer to work. All she gets is the pictures on the screen saver. Even if she reboots it comes up on the screen saver. Any suggestions.

Keith

Is it password protected at start up?

If she has has no data on there that's important follow this.

http://www.pctechbytes.com/hp/hp-recovery-from-partition/

Longshot
09-05-2011, 01:35 PM
There is no password. She cannot get to her desktop. When she boots up she gets the screen saver and cannot go any farther. It's like the computer is asleep
and she cannot wake it up even though it running.

JustRalph
09-05-2011, 04:33 PM
hmmm........unplug it from the wall........wait ten minutes, have a drink and try it again..........I doubt it's the screensaver she is getting.....probably hanging on boot.......

Longshot
09-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Just Ralph we tried unplugging it and letting it sit and when we reboot we get the same as before the screen saver, a beautiful picture of a field of yellow tulips. As it starts to reboot you can see the regular start up white writing on a black background and the notice that Windows is restarting and then it goes to the screen saver and no farther.

Looks like you are right in that it is hanging up. Since it's less that a week old
she can take it back for an exchange I would think.

Thanks,
Keith

Hanover1
09-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Just Ralph we tried unplugging it and letting it sit and when we reboot we get the same as before the screen saver, a beautiful picture of a field of yellow tulips. As it starts to reboot you can see the regular start up white writing on a black background and the notice that Windows is restarting and then it goes to the screen saver and no farther.

Looks like you are right in that it is hanging up. Since it's less that a week old
she can take it back for an exchange I would think.

Thanks,
Keith

Its an easy fix-take it back, they will do it in less than 2 minutes once you get their attention.....

HUSKER55
09-05-2011, 11:53 PM
I am no guru. But I was wondering, can you reinstall the OS and try again?

Like I said, I am no guru by any means. Just a thought. Probably not a good one.

good luck!

iceknight
09-06-2011, 12:04 AM
There is no password. She cannot get to her desktop. When she boots up she gets the screen saver and cannot go any farther. It's like the computer is asleep
and she cannot wake it up even though it running.

What is you try CTRL +ALT +DEL

or try CTRL +ALT + ESC.
on the second one, if the Task manager comes up, try START NEW PROCESS and type explorer.exe and see if the desktop shows up....

good luck..

Canarsie
09-06-2011, 08:13 AM
Did you ever attempt to try and load it in safe mode? If it comes up many possibilities could be dismissed.

Longshot
09-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I tried CTRL +ALT +DEL and CTRL +ALT +ESC
and nothing happens. I'm going to take it back for her to where she bought it
(Staples) and ask for a replacement or refund.

Keith

forced89
09-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Did you try unplugging it and removing the battery. Wait 2 or 3 minutes, replace battery and try again to boot it up.

Longshot
09-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Forced89 I didn't remove the battery but I did unplug it from the power source and hit the its start button several times to drain the stored power,let it sit and then rebooted and this did not help.

I'll get it back to Staples tomorrow and they can either fix it, replace it or refund her money.

I'll let you know what they find.

Again thanks to everyone

forced89
09-06-2011, 03:19 PM
This happened to me about 3 months ago with a new laptop. I took it back to Best Buy; they said it had tripped into something like "Super Sleep Mode". They said you have to remove all power (including the battery) for 2 or 3 minutes. This is what they did. After waiting the 2-3 minutes the computer was fine and has been fine ever since. They told me that removing the batter is important.

JustRalph
09-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Did you try unplugging it and removing the battery. Wait 2 or 3 minutes, replace battery and try again to boot it up.

I thought you said it was a desktop?

Longshot
09-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Just Ralph the computer is a desktop and the problem has been fixed. My daughter took it back to Staples today and they had it fixed in about 15 minutes. According to her they told her the problem had to do with some trial software that comes loaded on the computer that Microsoft wants you to purchase. When the Staples tech removed it the computer ran OK. According to her they said it was something they see from time to time.

She wasn't sure which program it was. I know Office 2010 was one that had a buy me now offer. As you can see I'm still a little in the dark to exactly what the problem was.

Again Thanks to everyone.
Keith

PeteKoch
09-20-2011, 01:17 PM
I have a netbook running Win7 Starter and a desktop with Win7 Home Premium. What you describe is not an issue on the desktop and I do not password protect boot/startup on either. But on the netbook, when coming out of sleep, it is necessary to click the words Pete Locked toward the center of the screen. The words aren't clearly visible; they kind of blend in with the colors of the (default) screen saver.

You might try clicking around in the center area of the screen. In my case, it's exactly at the horizontal midpoint and slightly below the vertical midpoint. I'm thinking that the font color of the words or icon you need to click might be camouflaged by the screensaver on your machine. It's worth a shot.

Hanover1
09-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Had a couple of kids walk by the other day and they were overheard saying I was in a sleep mode :lol: