PDA

View Full Version : I heard Havre de Grace with 6 different pronunciations yesterday. whats correct?

Zippy Chippy
09-04-2011, 05:30 PM
What is the right way to pronounce it?

Most people pronounce it like it looks. I kinda thought it was havre de grass. Definitely don't think the proper pronunciation is Durkins "hav de grace". Anyone know for sure?

cj
09-04-2011, 05:33 PM
The only real way to know is to ask the owners. I would think it is up to them.

In Maryland, there is a town with the same name. Maybe they named the horse after the town. It is not pronounced as the French would.

Saratoga_Mike
09-04-2011, 05:49 PM
The only real way to know is to ask the owners. I would think it is up to them.

In Maryland, there is a town with the same name. Maybe they named the horse after the town. It is not pronounced as the French would.

I've wondered the same thing myself - does anyone know for sure?

hugh
09-04-2011, 06:24 PM
Take it from Brett... Harrrrrrrrrrve

InTheRiver68
09-04-2011, 06:48 PM
If they named the horse after the town, then it would be "havvah deh grayce"

-InTheRiver68

foregoforever
09-04-2011, 07:22 PM
I spent a very pleasant day there a few years ago, and the folks I encountered pronounced it as "HAVer dee grayce", sounding as if it's one word. I don't think the French would approve.

Stillriledup
09-04-2011, 07:30 PM
They can change her name from Havre de Grace to HAVE SOME.

Edward DeVere
09-04-2011, 08:49 PM
What is the right way to pronounce it?

"The Graw"

horses4courses
09-04-2011, 08:52 PM
I had pretty good French in HS.

Havre De Grace should be pronounced:

Av-ra duh grass....... ;)

rastajenk
09-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Why is Bret's last name Farve? :confused: If he ever comes out of retirement, he should go by Fahv-ra. :)

Edward DeVere
09-04-2011, 09:05 PM
By the way, Havre de Grace is really a cool little town. Water on two sides, lots of history.

The name was provided by Lafayette, who said the area reminded him of Le Havre in France.

And "The Graw" still exists, sort of. It's now occupied by the Maryland Army National Guard. The track is grown over but the clubhouse and grandstand are still there.

baconswitchfarm
09-04-2011, 09:06 PM
I spent a very pleasant day there a few years ago, and the folks I encountered pronounced it as "HAVer dee grayce", sounding as if it's one word. I don't think the French would approve.

That is correct. I worked at a boy scout camp near there as a kid.It is a very nice area near the upper chesapeake bay.

Charli125
09-04-2011, 09:19 PM
I had pretty good French in HS.

Havre De Grace should be pronounced:

Av-ra duh grass....... ;)

But isn't Grace pronounced like foie gras in French? I agree with the rest of the pronunciation but I figured it would be something like Av ra du gra but run together to sound like one word.

All bets are off if she's named after an american city though. I remember the first time I heard Versailles road pronounced by the nav system in Lexington. I laughed until I was told that that's exactly how it's pronounced in Kentucky.

horses4courses
09-04-2011, 09:23 PM
But isn't Grace pronounced like foie gras in French? I agree with the rest of the pronunciation but I figured it would be something like Av ra du gra but run together to sound like one word.

All bets are off if she's named after an american city though. I remember the first time I heard Versailles road pronounced by the nav system in Lexington. I laughed until I was told that that's exactly how it's pronounced in Kentucky.

I hear you..... :)

Irish Boy
09-04-2011, 09:37 PM
It is pronounced "Havre de Grace"

Shemp Howard
09-05-2011, 09:17 AM
When there was a racetrack there (HdG) it was known by all as "Hava de Graw." In fact, it's nickname was "The Graw". Every great horse from 1912-through the 1930's raced there. Man O War carried 138lbs to win the Potomoc Handicap.

foregoforever
09-05-2011, 11:01 AM
When there was a racetrack there (HdG) it was known by all as "Hava de Graw." In fact, it's nickname was "The Graw". Every great horse from 1912-through the 1930's raced there. Man O War carried 138lbs to win the Potomoc Handicap.

That's why I stopped by some years ago, to see what was left of the track. But I found myself more enchanted by the town itself. It's a great refuge from the insanity of I-95 if you're passing through and need a break.

Makes it very easy to root for the horse as well.

Millpond68
09-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Was it Camp Rodney?

cj's dad
09-05-2011, 11:53 AM

I live about 25 miles away and have been there and worked with a few.

HAVerdeegrace is about right.

mostpost
09-05-2011, 12:15 PM

Funny that in a thread that started out complaining about six different pronunciations, we have at least seven opinions on how the name should be pronounced.
I am not getting involved.

cj
09-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Funny that in a thread that started out complaining about six different pronunciations, we have at least seven opinions on how the name should be pronounced.

Opinions don't mean much. As I said originally, the only one that counts is the opinion of the owners. If I were an announcer, I would ask. I learned that from Larry Collmus...when in doubt, ask the connections.

As to how it is pronounced in Maryland, it is as my father has said. It doesn't matter if people think it is correct, that is how it is pronounced. People from Baltimore pronounce it with a d instead of a t, so in my opinion, that is the correct way to pronounce it.

gillenr
09-05-2011, 05:53 PM
About 30 yrs ago, I rode Amtrack regularly & the conductors always pronounced it "graw" as Devere says.

Tom
09-05-2011, 05:55 PM
They should have named her Bowie.

Robert Fischer
09-05-2011, 06:04 PM

Aren't the Ripkens from HAV ?

Rise Over Run
09-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Aren't the Ripkens from HAV ?

They are actually from Aberdeen, about 5 miles to the southwest.

cj's dad
09-06-2011, 05:31 PM

Why would you get involved in a thread you know nothing about. Never mind, that has not stopped you in the past.

Zman179
09-06-2011, 08:07 PM
They should have named her Bowie.

Yes, but would you pronounce it Boh-wee like the singer or Boo-wee like a buoy? You see, you can't win. :lol:

As far as the subject, if it were to be pronounced in proper French, it would be pronounced "Avr-de-Grahs" and the name of the town is translated as 'Haven of Beauty'. In addition, 'de' would be in lower case and there would be a circumflected accent on the last word (grāce); however, if there's one weakness Americans have, it's properly pronouncing foreign languages (the English often say that we're not so good with their language either). It is actually pronounced Hayver Duh Grace (like in giving grace).

"Graw" simply came from a faulty attempt at a proper French pronunciation due to mistakenly believing that the last consonant isn't pronounced, but it is indeed pronounced since it is followed by a vowel.

Elliott Sidewater
09-06-2011, 08:35 PM
It's kind of funny to me - I believe CJ's Dad, that the locals pronounce it Havre De Grace, but every reference I've ever heard to the place that originates with a horse story seems to use Havre De Graw. I live about 70 miles away, not close enough to submit a trustworthy answer. Perhaps we could have merged this with the "thread about nothing";)

cj's dad
09-06-2011, 09:19 PM
It's kind of funny to me - I believe CJ's Dad, that the locals pronounce it Havre De Grace, but every reference I've ever heard to the place that originates with a horse story seems to use Havre De Graw. I live about 70 miles away, not close enough to submit a trustworthy answer. Perhaps we could have merged this with the "thread about nothing";)

You can take this for what it is worth; in my 63 years on this earth I have never heard anyone (in person) pronounce the last word as "GRAW" !!

Moving to the "thread about nothing".

Elliott Sidewater
09-06-2011, 09:44 PM
From Wikipedia:

"The Havre de Grace Racetrack was an American horse racing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_racing) track (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_track) on Post Road in Havre de Grace (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havre_de_Grace,_Maryland), Harford County (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harford_County,_Maryland), Maryland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryland) which operated from August 24, 1912 to 1950. Nicknamed "The Graw," for a time it was owned by the Harford Agricultural and Breeders Association and also by the notorious gambler, Arnold Rothstein (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Rothstein)."

It was only the racetrack, not the town, that was referred to as de Graw. I thought this might be the case. CJ's Dad, you're not quite old enough to have heard the nickname, I guess. The use of it probably died out over time, while you were growing up. I can only conclude that Mr. DeVere's train conductors were hossplayers.:D

cj
09-06-2011, 09:52 PM
You can take this for what it is worth; in my 63 years on this earth I have never heard anyone (in person) pronounce the last word as "GRAW" !!

Moving to the "thread about nothing".

I've only been around 44, but I've never heard anyone in Maryland say that either.

Edward DeVere
09-07-2011, 03:55 AM
http://www.mainstreethdg.com/ArtsandEntertainment/GrawDays.aspx

Robert Fischer
09-07-2011, 12:25 PM
:bang: now im hearing "HAAV DUH GRACE" !
i hear they have farms there with some horses

wonder if she is named this after the city in md with the h0rse farms?

on Cal Ripken: (WIKI: )
" the Ripken family lived in nearby Aberdeen, Maryland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberdeen,_Maryland), but because Cal and Billy were born in the hospital Havre de Grace is listed as their town of birth.)"

Edward DeVere
09-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Today it's pronounced "sous marine".

cj's dad
09-10-2011, 11:47 AM
The pronunciation as spoken by locals. It's also a nice film.

nsAvYSbVFK0

cj's dad
09-10-2011, 11:54 AM
0vcBkVD-MVE

ronsmac
09-10-2011, 05:42 PM
In Maryland, most people pronounce the city Hava de grace. Not saying most people are correct.

cj
09-10-2011, 05:50 PM
In Maryland, most people pronounce the city Hava de grace. Not saying most people are correct.

That was my point in the first post I made here in this thread. The only way to know for sure is to ask the owners, it is their horse. It doesn't matter how anyone thinks it should be pronounced. The same goes for the name of the town. The people decide.

gillenr
09-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Heard an interview with Jorge Posada in which he was asked "horgay or george?'. He replyed "Mom calls me Georgie".