PDA

View Full Version : OU to announce leaving or staying, soon

ElKabong
09-03-2011, 01:58 AM
Boren's comments pretty much lead towards them leaving. Can't blame them.

Oh btw, 0u announced this week they're going to start their own network, ala the Longhorn Network....No comment from the Stooper on unfair advantages associated with such a thing, :lol:

As soon as anm got the clear to leave, the phones in Austin, Norman and Lubbock lit up. TEXAS, Tech, oSu and 0u are in a good spot, all are going to improve their lot, soon. Oddly enough, if TEXAS decides to go independant they'll net more $$ than any other program beginning 2012. (i hope that doesn't happen, boosters w/ rather be in a conf)

For the past 20 months or so, it's been every man for themselves in college athletics. The PAC needs the TX-OU 4 more than the b10 imo. They added Utah (yawn, & no tv appeal) and CU (dying football program, NO baseball program, horrible hoops program). They did little to improve their conf last year, my guess is they're going to push the hardest to be the first (of 4 ) 16 team superconferences.

maddog42
09-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Boren's comments pretty much lead towards them leaving. Can't blame them.

Oh btw, 0u announced this week they're going to start their own network, ala the Longhorn Network....No comment from the Stooper on unfair advantages associated with such a thing, :lol:

As soon as anm got the clear to leave, the phones in Austin, Norman and Lubbock lit up. TEXAS, Tech, oSu and 0u are in a good spot, all are going to improve their lot, soon. Oddly enough, if TEXAS decides to go independant they'll net more $$ than any other program beginning 2012. (i hope that doesn't happen, boosters w/ rather be in a conf)

For the past 20 months or so, it's been every man for themselves in college athletics. The PAC needs the TX-OU 4 more than the b10 imo. They added Utah (yawn, & no tv appeal) and CU (dying football program, NO baseball program, horrible hoops program). They did little to improve their conf last year, my guess is they're going to push the hardest to be the first (of 4 ) 16 team superconferences.

Texas might be in a bad spot. This is from Orangebloods.com:/Rivals:

Any move by Texas to the Pac-12 would not be an easy one. First, there is the issue of the Longhorn Network. No schools in the Pac-12 are allowed to have their own network. Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott has set up a series of regional networks that partner two schools together to share revenue from third-tier rights with each other and with the Pac-12.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1259825

Also from Rivals:

An industry source with direct knowledge of the Longhorn Network said turning LHN into a regional network in the Pac-12 would be "very difficult." When I asked if it was impossible, the source said, "After last year, I don't subscribe to that word anymore."

That source doubted Texas was going anywhere. That source also doubted that Oklahoma would go anywhere without Texas.

Sources said Texas officials told them last year the Longhorns were reluctant to go to the Pac-12 because they would lose a lot of the power they enjoy in the Big 12. The sources said Texas feared being out-voted and muscled in the Pac-12 by the power brokers in that conference - the original Pac-8 (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State).

Hey thanks Elk for starting another thread. You were getting beatup in the other one though, so I can understand.
So the $300 million LHN is the sticking point for Texas and maybe for OU getting in the PAC. The point I was making in the other thread about Power struggle in the Big 12 being main reason for breakup/loss of Nebraska is verified here. Your assertion that Texas would eventually end up in Big 10 seems weak. Possible but unlikely.

rastajenk
09-03-2011, 01:29 PM
I don't see the appeal of large super-conferences, with unbalanced scheduling, erosion of traditional rivalries, goofy geography...what's the upside?

ElKabong
09-03-2011, 11:30 PM
Hey thanks Elk for starting another thread. You were getting beatup in the other one though, so I can understand.

Beat up, how?

I see you're posting rumors again. "Quotes" that aren't attributable to anyone other than (wait for it) >>> ANONYMOUS.......hopefully you'll improve your game in the future. ****(please see bottom note regarding "rumors" by UT so-called sources)

I don't think 0u is tied at the hip to UT at the present moment. I sure thought that was the case w/ both UT and 0u, but 0u is (correctly) looking out for themselves right now. If UT stays in the b12 or goes Indy, Boren is smart to look at the PAC or SEC (i'm guessing the SEC is making overtures & checking back w/ SEC membership on possibilites, thus Boren's "3 week" timeframe he mentioned). My guess (not rumor, just my guess) is that 0U and oSu go to the PAC. Even T Boone was quoted tonite saying he thought the Pokies were going to the PAC.

We may end up being an Indy for a yr or 2.....Dodds has said all along that doesn't set well with him and is a last resort....where we in the short term go is anyone's guess.

*****Be careful, Chip Brown (reporter-turned- UT employee) is almost always found out to the the so-called insider source. He's a mouthpiece for Dodds and nothing more. All the "TEXAS to the b10 a guaranteed deal" rumors were spread by Chip at the behest of the AD dept....they aren't spreading rumors for you or me or the avg fan. It's all directed at conference comish's for digestion and espn isn't exactly in the background on this shit....I don't like what college ball has evolved into. The games on the field hold little importance to the power brokers anymore. It's all about positioning and $$$ and every major U is playing that game

maddog42
09-04-2011, 12:42 AM
Beat up, how?

I see you're posting rumors again. "Quotes" that aren't attributable to anyone other than (wait for it) >>> ANONYMOUS.......hopefully you'll improve your game in the future. ****(please see bottom note regarding "rumors" by UT so-called sources)

I don't think 0u is tied at the hip to UT at the present moment. I sure thought that was the case w/ both UT and 0u, but 0u is (correctly) looking out for themselves right now. If UT stays in the b12 or goes Indy, Boren is smart to look at the PAC or SEC (i'm guessing the SEC is making overtures & checking back w/ SEC membership on possibilites, thus Boren's "3 week" timeframe he mentioned). My guess (not rumor, just my guess) is that 0U and oSu go to the PAC. Even T Boone was quoted tonite saying he thought the Pokies were going to the PAC.

We may end up being an Indy for a yr or 2.....Dodds has said all along that doesn't set well with him and is a last resort....where we in the short term go is anyone's guess.

*****Be careful, Chip Brown (reporter-turned- UT employee) is almost always found out to the the so-called insider source. He's a mouthpiece for Dodds and nothing more. All the "TEXAS to the b10 a guaranteed deal" rumors were spread by Chip at the behest of the AD dept....they aren't spreading rumors for you or me or the avg fan. It's all directed at conference comish's for digestion and espn isn't exactly in the background on this shit....I don't like what college ball has evolved into. The games on the field hold little importance to the power brokers anymore. It's all about positioning and $$$ and every major U is playing that game

It seems that most people were agreeing with me that Texas was to blame for Big 12 breakup. Also the Hatred for Texas was being expressed by nontraditional rivals. Your assertion that Texas would wind up in the Big 10 was being negated by fact and rumor. Most of these rumors are rapidly turning into fact.
PS
If Texas is having this much trouble with Rice early on, I shudder to think what BYU will do to them. BYU beat a weakened OU team a couple years ago
and I think they will beat Texas. I don't want that to happen. It takes the Joy out of us (OU) beating Texas. Texas probably wishes they still had Kinne from Tulsa. He has got to be better than the bunch you have now. I think Texas should be 4 point dog to BYU, even in Austin.

ElKabong
09-04-2011, 11:36 AM
If Texas is having this much trouble with Rice early on, I shudder to think what BYU will do to them. BYU beat a weakened OU team a couple years ago
and I think they will beat Texas. .

It's the first game of an entirely restructured coaching staff. What else to expect?

People like you humor me. You think b/c you measure your self worth and self esteem on 18 yo kids performances on a football field, that others do the same.

I look at football as entertainment nowdays. I LOVE football, don't get me wrong...but what it's become is less enjoyable as a product (see POT's post on LSU problems).

0U has always been a "win or else" institution;A Junior College on the plains with a filthy program that's won only ONE natl championship that wasn't covered with the stench of NCAA recruiting violations and / or probations. People like you (probably never darkened the door of the admin building, never took a class there, didn't graduate, don't know the first thing about the University academic programs) largely make up the 0u fan base. T-Shirt fans. Proof of this was the John Blake years....when 0u was a .500 the stadium was half empty.

Compare your toothless redneck "fan base" vs what's going on at TEXAS right now...Our alums, boosters and fans are filling up a 99,000 seat stadium knowing we'll go .500 this season......to us it isn't all about winning. The 101,624 that went to the game last night aren't expecting a natl champion. They were there b/c they love the program. Unlike 0u, we'll draw at least 85,000 for every game in a season we know we'll be a run of the mill team. We also know there are MUCH better times ahead --- which I'm sure disappoints you.

BTW, the last recruiting class of Ou's to have a winning record vs TEXAS was 2002's class. I wouldn't be so boastful if I were you (and thank God I'm not! :lol: )

Bandwagon fan. That's you. Keep posting rumors and he said-she said internet stuff....it fits your level of

cj
09-04-2011, 12:08 PM
It's the first game of an entirely restructured coaching staff. What else to expect?

People like you humor me. You think b/c you measure your self worth and self esteem on 18 yo kids performances on a football field, that others do the same.

I look at football as entertainment nowdays. I LOVE football, don't get me wrong...but what it's become is less enjoyable as a product (see POT's post on LSU problems).

0U has always been a "win or else" institution;A Junior College on the plains with a filthy program that's won only ONE natl championship that wasn't covered with the stench of NCAA recruiting violations and / or probations. People like you (probably never darkened the door of the admin building, never took a class there, didn't graduate, don't know the first thing about the University academic programs) largely make up the 0u fan base. T-Shirt fans. Proof of this was the John Blake years....when 0u was a .500 the stadium was half empty.

Compare your toothless redneck "fan base" vs what's going on at TEXAS right now...Our alums, boosters and fans are filling up a 99,000 seat stadium knowing we'll go .500 this season......to us it isn't all about winning. The 101,624 that went to the game last night aren't expecting a natl champion. They were there b/c they love the program. Unlike 0u, we'll draw at least 85,000 for every game in a season we know we'll be a run of the mill team. We also know there are MUCH better times ahead --- which I'm sure disappoints you.

BTW, the last recruiting class of Ou's to have a winning record vs TEXAS was 2002's class. I wouldn't be so boastful if I were you (and thank God I'm not! :lol: )

Bandwagon fan. That's you. Keep posting rumors and he said-she said internet stuff....it fits your level of

Dude, you went way too far with the personal stuff there, and no, I'm not an Oklahoma fan.

ElKabong
09-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Dude, you went way too far with the personal stuff there, and no, I'm not an Oklahoma fan.

Point out "personal stuff". T-shirt fan? Look up the Blake year attendance figs. Facts are facts

Toothless redneck...yea, that was over the top. Didn't know that playful stuff was still taken seriously.

cj
09-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Point out "personal stuff". T-shirt fan? Look up the Blake year attendance figs. Facts are facts

Toothless hillbilly...yea, that was over the top. Didn't know that playful stuff was still taken seriously.
Most wouldn't consider that playful.

This is personal:
People like you (probably never darkened the door of the admin building, never took a class there, didn't graduate, don't know the first thing about the University academic programs) largely make up the 0u fan base."

This is just ridiculous:
A Junior College on the plains with a filthy program
OU is a fine academic school. It isn't Texas, but it is certainly a very good public institution. The program has also been clean for a long time. I hate what college football has become, but OU is better than most big schools today. I don't care about 1975 or whenever.

ElKabong
09-04-2011, 12:58 PM
It seems that most people were agreeing with me that Texas was to blame for Big 12 breakup. .

Yet it was 0u's President yesterday that was quoted saying 0u is open to leaving the b12...which would kill the b12 for sure. So the fact is, 0u may be the one to blame, right? Their prez is quoting they're open to leaving, and leaving soon.

Another thing you didn't reply to --- 0u announced this week that they've been looking into a Sooner Network launch in the near future. How does that strike you, LOL ? You were bent out of shape (and stoops and anm), yet the Castiglione plan has been to have one of their own.

Hypocrite, much?

ElKabong
09-04-2011, 01:09 PM
The program has also been clean for a long time.

This is simply funny, not to mention wrong. The Big Red Auto scandal happened when last yrs 5th year Seniors were on campus at 0u.

The Dusty Dvorczak mess happened recently. That kid shouldn't have been cleared to play. He was a mental and emotional disaster that didn't belong on any campus...but Stoops was happy to take him back since they were thin on the D line.

They had a player, Austin Box, OD on five pain meds this summer, died of the OD...WTF? Where do you think he got the five (5) pain killers? The ath dept issues that shit out like candy, and no, I'm not saying 0u is the only program doing so. Far from it.

But to say they've been "clean" is wrong. To say it's been clean for a long time has never applied to 0u since WWII.

cj
09-04-2011, 01:20 PM
This is simply funny, not to mention wrong. The Big Red Auto scandal happened when last yrs 5th year Seniors were on campus at 0u.

The Dusty Dvorczak mess happened recently. That kid shouldn't have been cleared to play. He was a mental and emotional disaster that didn't belong on any campus...but Stoops was happy to take him back since they were thin on the D line.

They had a player, Austin Box, OD on five pain meds this summer, died of the OD...WTF? Where do you think he got the five (5) pain killers? The ath dept issues that shit out like candy, and no, I'm not saying 0u is the only program doing so. Far from it.

But to say they've been "clean" is wrong. To say it's been clean for a long time has never applied to 0u since WWII.

I didn't say they were perfect, but this isn't what I call cheating.

The Big Red thing was dealt with, was there probation involved? I'm pretty sure it was caught by OU and they threw the starting QB out. It hurt them on the field. What more could they do? I would bet this happens everywhere, even Texas. They self reported.

I don't know a lot about Dvorczak. Like I said, I'm not a fan. I do know he wound up in the NFL so I would guess he has no complaints about Stoops. It seems he did pretty good for the kid.

As for Box, he was home during the summer. Is OU supposed to assign a babysitter? It is a sad story, but to somehow try to say this makes OU "unclean" is a huge stretch.

Funny you ignored the other stuff.

ElKabong
09-04-2011, 01:43 PM
I'm about to head out to the track, so forgive me if I'm late in reply....but what "other stuff" are you referring to?

the Big Red Auto scandal was more about cash for free (punching a clock, then heading back to campus) than it was for free cars for starting players like Adrian Peterson, Rhett Bomar, Rufus Alexander, and JD Quinn, etc, etc. If cash for players doesn't constitute a dirty program, I don't know what does.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/12/sports/football/12giants.html?_r=2&ref=sports

Ferguson and Jerry Bomar said Rhett could have revealed more to the N.C.A.A. for a lighter punishment. Ferguson said Rhett told him there were “multiple people involved in this.”

Jerry Bomar said, “The N.C.A.A. came in to interview him and tried every way in the world to get him to rat them out and he wouldn’t do it.”

Jerry Bomar said they were bitter at the time and he told Rhett, “You ought to. But he wouldn’t. We’re not low-rent people here.”

Only Bomar and a lineman, J. D. Quinn, were exposed and barred.

ElKabong
09-04-2011, 01:52 PM
As for Box, he was home during the summer. Is OU supposed to assign a babysitter? It is a sad story, but to somehow try to say this makes OU "unclean" is a huge stretch.

0u being "unclean" is a matter of record.

As for Box, yes very unfortunate....But ath depts dole out pain killers like candy. as fro him being home "for the summer", actually about every major program has the kids on campus in June for involuntary drills, etc, take off July, then back for August camp....and in July they definitely have contact with conditioning coaches ----which is the mechanism kids like Box get their meds.

Look, Kindle @ TEXAS might have suffered the same fate as Box 2 yrs back. The kid has had injury problems, likely needs pain killers to get into playing shape & in some instances, just to function on a daily basis. Look at his recent history of falling asleep at the wheel and falling down staircases, etc.....to me that smacks of a kid that's drugged up on PK's...i could very well be wrong, but this kind of thing isn;t normal by any stretch and seems to happen to football players more often than others....way more often

ElKabong
09-04-2011, 02:06 PM
The Big Red thing was dealt with, was there probation involved? I'm pretty sure it was caught by OU and they threw the starting QB out. .

Yeah there was probation involved.

No it wasn't caught by 0u. Stoops denied for months, but in the end they were caught paying players for work not performed. More than that was going on, but players turned their cars back in to BRAS and that was that.

The funny thing of all this is where the scandal was first exposed...Texags.com is where a poster with first hand knowledge posted it the February before the summer the scandal broke open. It was some great reading for sure. Getting the ncaa just to look into it was tough enough.

If you read boards like hornfans and texags you get to know who is who, and who has access to interesting things (most posters just opine, like myself). When you meet them in person and know who they are it's a bit of blast. A lot of HS coaches and AD's post in those boards. The stories / experiences they have with kids that played for them are interesting & not always flattering to what we might think of college football.

cj
09-04-2011, 02:45 PM
If you read boards like hornfans and texags you get to know who is who, and who has access to interesting things (most posters just opine, like myself). When you meet them in person and know who they are it's a bit of blast. A lot of HS coaches and AD's post in those boards. The stories / experiences they have with kids that played for them are interesting & not always flattering to what we might think of college football.

Honestly, I have some free time, but not that much free time. I'd rather light myself on fire.

sonnyp
09-04-2011, 02:45 PM
i watched the ESPN 30-30 about SMU when they decided to play that south west conference game bigger and better than texas and oklahoma. SMU recruited eric dickerson and craig james and beat the hell out those horns and sooners. they were screaming foul and crying like babies cause someone else beat them at their own game.

cj
09-04-2011, 02:54 PM
SMU recruited eric dickerson and craig james and beat the hell out those horns and sooners.

Really? They did? What year was that when they beat the Horns and the Sooners?

I count 2-2 during the Pony Express years against Texas. When did they play OU?

canleakid
09-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Yes sir the MOB (Marching Owl Band) tells it like it is ;)
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2011/rice-band-spells-sec-texas
RIP big 12 aka dead conference walking

ElKabong
09-04-2011, 09:53 PM
kid,

The MOB is the greatest! My favorite was when they played "How much for the doggie in the window" vs anm in 73 or 74, formed a fire hydrant...all hell broke loose...google and read about, it was funny stuff....and, the MOB always makes fun of UT, we love it!

ElKabong
09-04-2011, 09:59 PM
i watched the ESPN 30-30 about SMU when they decided to play that south west conference game bigger and better than texas and oklahoma. .

0u was in the SWC from 1979-81? You're about 60 years or so off....

So many inaccurate replies in this thread....OU not "unclean" (paid players), Kinne would be better than GG (Kinne went to UT only b/c his dad, his HC coach and Baylor ex, made him) and now Ou was in the SWC 30 yrs ago....I guess the topic in the OP was too deep.

Kid did mention the Mighty Owl Band, that was a plus :)

cj
09-04-2011, 10:02 PM
0u was in the SWC from 1979-81? You're about 60 years or so off....

So many inaccurate replies in this thread....OU not "unclean" (paid players), Kinne would be better than GG (Kinne went to UT only b/c his dad, his HC coach and Baylor ex, made him) and now Ou was in the SWC 30 yrs ago....I guess the topic in the OP was too deep.

Kid did mention the Mighty Owl Band, that was a plus :)

Don't forget the wild speculation about Box which you obviously know little to nothing about. ;)

ElKabong
09-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Don't forget the wild speculation about Box which you obviously know little to nothing about. ;)

He died with 5 (five) painkillers in his bloodstream. Where do you think he got FIVE painkillers from? If you want to think he got those 5 PK's from Eckards, have at it, LOL

http://oudaily.com/news/2011/jul/12/ou-football-players-death-attributed-pain-medicati/

Five pain medications were found in linebacker Austin Box's bloodstream after his death, the mixture of which was listed as the probable cause of his death, according to a toxicology report released by the state medical examiner.

The OU football player had pain medications oxymorphone, morphine, hydrocodone, hydromorphone and oxycodone in his system when he died May 19 after being found unconscious at a friend's house in El Reno.

cj
09-04-2011, 10:15 PM
He died with 5 (five) painkillers in his bloodstream. Where do you think he got FIVE painkillers from? If you want to think he got those 5 PK's from Eckards, have at it, LOL

http://oudaily.com/news/2011/jul/12/ou-football-players-death-attributed-pain-medicati/

Five pain medications were found in linebacker Austin Box's bloodstream after his death, the mixture of which was listed as the probable cause of his death, according to a toxicology report released by the state medical examiner.

The OU football player had pain medications oxymorphone, morphine, hydrocodone, hydromorphone and oxycodone in his system when he died May 19 after being found unconscious at a friend's house in El Reno.

I know all about the story.

When players like Box are injured or require the services of a doctor, the OU athletic department refers players to team physicians, athletic department spokesman Kenneth Mossman said in an email. When players accept the referral, the team's training staff is kept informed of the treatments. Players who receive prescriptions are counseled on their proper use.

You really think he was given prescriptions for five different pain killers? The article you posted is old. Do you know outcome of the investigation?

ElKabong
09-04-2011, 10:30 PM
I know all about the story.

You really think he was given prescriptions for five different pain killers? The article you posted is old. Do you know outcome of the investigation?

The only outcome is he died. Had 5 different meds in his bloodstream. He didn't get the meds from a drug store I'm sure.

Care to post a reply about the OT, or are we goin' round and round on this BS? I'd rather light myself on fire or some shit...

cj
09-04-2011, 11:04 PM
The only outcome is he died. Had 5 different meds in his bloodstream. He didn't get the meds from a drug store I'm sure.

Care to post a reply about the OT, or are we goin' round and round on this BS? I'd rather light myself on fire or some shit...

He didn't get them from OU either, that is the point.

ElKabong
09-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Right, because they're a clean program now.....

maddog42
09-04-2011, 11:20 PM

I'm gone for a day Elk and you post a lot of stupid wrong stuff. You accused me of posting rumors, but what have we here:
Incorrect assumption #1:
OU giving narcotics to Austin Box:
The Oklahoman reported 5 days ago that the police have traced the source of
drugs that killed Austin Box to a close friend of his through text messages.
Incorrect assumption #2
That I never went to OU or was a sunshine fan.
The only part of this statement that is remotely true is that I never graduated. I have lived in Norman for 40 years and went to OU for 3 of them.

The only year that I have had season tickets in the last 20 was during one of Blakes Seasons. I really liked Blake. Met him once at Walmart after he was fired. He took me out to his car and gave me an autographed picture for my kid. Incredibly classy guy. Wouldn't say one bad word about OU.

Incorrect assumption #3
So many inaccurate replies in this thread....OU not "unclean" (paid players), Kinne would be better than GG (Kinne went to UT only b/c his dad, his HC coach and Baylor ex, made him)
Kinne threw for 3650 yards and 2732 yards respectively in 2010 and 2009, with 31 TD's and 10 int's last year. He was conference USA offensive player of the year. GG had one of the very worst TD/Interception ratios in the country, last year. He might get better, I usually like to give a kid a year when he is thrown into the fire like that, but he was a stinker last year.

Incorrect assumption/lie #4
0U has always been a "win or else" institution;A Junior College on the plains with a filthy program that's won only ONE natl championship that wasn't covered with the stench of NCAA recruiting violations and / or probations.

In the 50's Bud Wilkinson won 3 national titles without a hint of scandal and broke the Color barrier with Prentiss Gautt from 1956 to 1959. Five years later "the toothless rednecks" in Dallas were still yelling racial slurs at Ernie Davis.
Who was the classier program in 1961?
Partial truth/flip flop #5
Texas fans are so much better than OU. I actually think there is some truth in this remark. OU fans are spoiled rotten and are probably in the bottom half of the conference in class.... right below Texas fans.
A couple weeks ago you were saying AnM fans as being more classy than Texas and about the "sunshine" Texas fans. Go back and check the thread. Get your story straight.

maddog42
09-04-2011, 11:46 PM

Whats good for the goose....
http://austin.texascriminalattorneys.com/assault/texas-longhorn-football-player-brandon-collins-arrested-in-pflugerville-for-1st-degree-felony.html
A wide receiver with the University of Texas football team has been charged with first-degree felony following a robbery in Pflugerville, an Austin suburb.Brandon Collins is alleged to have been involved in the aggravated assault and robbery of an individual (http://www.kvue.com/news/Longhorn-football-player-arrested-for-aggravated-robbery-80537232.html) in a McDonald's parking lot around 2:45 Saturday morning. The victim contacted police who soon stopped a vehicle matching the description used by the assailant.
Eight current or former Longhorn football players have been arrested since Texas claimed the national championship against Southern California in the 2006 Rose Bowl.

Eight current or former Longhorn football players have been arrested since Texas claimed the national championship against Southern California in the 2006 Rose Bowl.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2962514

This article is dated Aug. 5th 2007. In an 18 month period Texas Football players were responsible for a mini crime wave. I can list at least 6 players
that have been arrested since then. I actually think OU is running behind Texas (barely)in the sheer number of arrests, but for actual felonies Texas beats us hands down.

Hey Elk lets start a thread about felonious players nationwide, so we (Ou Texas) don't look like total Outlaw Schools.

ElKabong
09-05-2011, 12:43 AM
Whats good for the goose....
http://austin.texascriminalattorneys.com/assault/texas-longhorn-football-player-brandon-collins-arrested-in-pflugerville-for-1st-degree-felony.html
A wide receiver with the University of Texas football team has been charged with first-degree felony following a robbery in Pflugerville, an Austin suburb.Brandon Collins is alleged to have been involved in the aggravated assault and robbery of an individual (http://www.kvue.com/news/Longhorn-football-player-arrested-for-aggravated-robbery-80537232.html) in a McDonald's parking lot around 2:45 Saturday morning. The victim contacted police who soon stopped a vehicle matching the description used by the assailant.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2962514

This article is dated Aug. 5th 2007. In an 18 month period Texas Football players were responsible for a mini crime wave. I can list at least 6 players
that have been arrested since then. I actually think OU is running behind Texas (barely)in the sheer number of arrests, but for actual felonies Texas beats us hands down.

Hey Elk lets start a thread about felonious players nationwide, so we (Ou Texas) don't look like total Outlaw Schools.

Take a close look at the 2nd article you posted. See something different than how Stoops handles criminal players in the program? ... All kids that were arrested for anything other than DUI were kicked off the program.

Compare that to The Stooper and you'll understand what I'm saying (Dusty Dvoracek back on the sooner squad, holla !). Personally I cannot judge a kid for a DUI, even tho I never got caught or ticketed for it...but trust me, in the 1970s as a kid their age I drove under the influence many a time. Most kids I knew did...damn near all of us. It was before MADD, etc.

So I won't get down on a kid from YouNameItStateU for a DUI....Those other kids got the boot off the team even tho they kept their ships. Most (if not all) left the campus after being booted off the team.

Joseph was esp disappointing. He threw away a career worth a lot, had to be a thug. Out he went, where to I dunno.

Lastly, I posted in this section not long ago about that particular class (the perriloux class), had a lot of gangsta types....none lasted very long, thati was made clear to Brown by Joe Jamial, McCombs et al. The thug life isn't going to be tolerated after the shit the class of 06 brought in

ElKabong
09-05-2011, 01:15 AM
maddog,

Thank you for points 1-5. Very interesting.

#1, I have no doubt that Ou, TEXAS and about everyone else gets meds / roids/ you name it thru the training staff. Your next trip to LS, give me a heads up via PM if you'd like. All I can say is, it's there for athletes even at the HS level. Kindle's situation is what worries me. Good kid, his injuries led to alcoholism and probably addicted on PK's. Lot of Kindles out there

#2 you sure post like a t-shirt fan! ;) . Just curious, why didn't you finish that 4th year @ 0u? (no need to post, we can talk that over if you want)

#3, Kinne didn't fit here, never was going to play. He was a yr behind Colt, and it was obvious he wasn't going to push out Colt (who had redshirted). So Kinne was going to ride the bench 4 years before he'd get a shot....and he never moved past Sherrod Harris on the depth chart....add to that, his dad, a BU alum that was crossways with Morriss, wanted him to go to UT. It was a bad deal all around and my "guess" is GJ woulda gone elsewhere if it were all up to him. (remember, his dad was shot in GJ's last yr in HS or the year therefater by a bitter dad of a fmr player...his dad was a bit of a controlling type).

#4, while I think it's great Prentiss crossed the color line, his nickname there at Ou was The Chocolate Cheetah....uncomfortable as hell.... and i can give you a lot of redneck racist examples from both states unfortunately. One of my best friends is a 84 OU grad from Sand Springs (blake's hometown i blve), was an A6 pilot in the 91 gulf war. Let's just say his comment about Vince's skin color and demeanor wasn't acceptable....he's a good guy, but he oughtta be way past that shit...and no doubt TEXAS has it's share too. One generation separated from that nonsense at a time I suppose,

#5, The ncaa put 0u on probation in 1960 for OU not allowing access to their financials (everyone knew Bud was paying players for years).

http://espn.go.com/classic/s/add_Wilkinson_Bud.html

There was more, I'll post back later....but it may be comforting for you and cj that OU was found in violation this past spring of more football violations (palms pressed against face, in shock, ala home alone) :)

http://www.examiner.com/college-football-in-national/ncaa-violations-found-oklahoma-sooners-offseason-workouts

maddog42
09-06-2011, 01:55 AM
Thanks for the invite Elk. I don't get to LS very often, but I may surprise you.
Even good people and good players get addicted to Pain Meds. Maybe I shouldn't have been so hard on Limbaugh.

ceejay
09-06-2011, 01:58 PM
TEXAS, Tech, oSu and 0u are in a good spot, .
No offense intended (and I could be wrong), but capitalization looks to be pretty significant to you. Is there any hidden meaning behind your capitalization scheme?

ElKabong
09-06-2011, 08:19 PM
ceejay,

we've been capitalizing TEXAS in print, cursive and mails since 1981 when they put the word on the front of the Jerseys. Not sure of the origin, but at old TI we used to send inter-company mail as "TEXAS" in the early 80s.

Kind of like a buddy of mine that used to capitalize OU in every word the letters were used (saw this on soonerfans a lot yrs ago). It's just standard.

if one were to peruse hornfans.com, you'd see regular posters capitalize Texas, all letters. Been going on for years

As for 0u, oSu, a lot of people post them as such. (helmet insignia)

ElKabong
09-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the invite Elk. I don't get to LS very often, but I may surprise you.
Even good people and good players get addicted to Pain Meds. Maybe I shouldn't have been so hard on Limbaugh.

First beer's on me, when you're at LS.

ElKabong
09-10-2011, 07:12 PM
and I think they will beat Texas. .

Rice just beat Purdue. They may not be as bad as you'd like to think.

Congrats to Rice. Up until recently there weren't many loopholes for any student athletes to slide in. Even now, it's pretty tough. Very few slots in easy programs there. Always outmanned, usually give all they have.

ElKabong
09-10-2011, 10:29 PM
If Texas is having this much trouble with Rice early on, I shudder to think what BYU will do to them. BYU beat a weakened OU team a couple years ago and I think they will beat Texas. .

Looks like less thinking is in order for you, maddog ;)

Fortunately for TEXAS fans, Mack has a better record than the Stooper vs quality non-conference opponents the past few years. This is 0u's year, the sooners are ranked #1. For us, we're in a year of evaluations and a process of growing. Lot of freshmen on the field for us in key positions both sides of the ball.

As for tonite, I'm not sure the better team won, BYU was very over confident and boastful after going up 13-0. Their players were woofing at our players and fans & giving the throat slash gestures often, and the cameras caught their section of fans taunting our fans....They thought the game was in the bag. Their coaches and players showed a lack of focus, something they had plenty of last week vs Ole Miss.

The 1000 times they showed Harsin in the booth, he looks like a coach that's about to run out of trix in the bag. While we won, he looks like a coach that's not copasetic with the entire scene. BYU did seem to go back to a base defense in the 2nd half which helped UT a lot. Case had a long time to look for open receivers. Not sure that'll be the case from here out.

But tonite I'm a happy Longhorn. We won a game that a lot of folks thought we'd lose. Malcolm Brown looks better than I expected (saw 3 of his games last yr, had my doubts). Our defense has allowed 1 TD in 8 quarters, and the offense is steeping forward a lil bit.

witchdoctor
09-10-2011, 10:39 PM

Fortunately for TEXAS fans, Mack has a better record than the Stooper vs quality non-conference opponents the past few years. This is 0u's year, the sooners are ranked #1. For us, we're in a year of evaluations and a process of growing. Lot of freshmen on the field for us in key positions both sides of the ball.

As for tonite, I'm not sure the better team won, BYU was very over confident and boastful after going up 13-0. Their players were woofing at our players and fans & giving the throat slash gestures often, and the cameras caught their section of fans taunting our fans....They thought the game was in the bag. Their coaches and players showed a lack of focus, something they had plenty of last week vs Ole Miss.

The 1000 times they showed Harsin in the booth, he looks like a coach that's about to run out of trix in the bag. While we won, he looks like a coach that's not copasetic with the entire scene. BYU did seem to go back to a base defense in the 2nd half which helped UT a lot. Case had a long time to look for open receivers. Not sure that'll be the case from here out.

But tonite I'm a happy Longhorn. We won a game that a lot of folks thought we'd lose. Malcolm Brown looks better than I expected (saw 3 of his games last yr, had my doubts). Our defense has allowed 1 TD in 8 quarters, and the offense is steeping forward a lil bit.

That McCoy to Shipley combination looks like it may be better than the original version. With Brown running, it only depends on how fast the kids grow up as how far they go this year.

maddog42
09-10-2011, 10:51 PM

Congrats Elk on a hard fought ONE point victory. This was a pivotal game for Texas. I told my son if the line on Texas goes to 7+, I am going to unload on BYU. I did not do that. I look for an edge. My son won quite a bit of money betting on BYU. Texas will need this one to get to 8 wins.
I did not know BYU was so weak offensively, until I looked at there stats.
Very good game.

maddog42
09-10-2011, 10:53 PM
That McCoy to Shipley combination looks like it may be better than the original version. With Brown running, it only depends on how fast the kids grow up as how far they go this year.

I wouldn't start the Heisman campaign just yet. Those a guys have a long way to go before they are as good as their brothers.

ElKabong
09-11-2011, 12:08 AM
Damn the BYU Network ;)....I have Directv, the schedule and title on ch 374 says BYU vs Texas" from 10:30pm to 1:30....and what are they playing right now? Their win over Oklahoma from 2 years ago.

I was looking fwd to watching this replay to be honest, I wanted to see some matchups in the pit again. Win or lose I like watching replays and looking at individual matchups at the LOS.

cstv's "analysts" actually said BYU had the best front 7 of all college defenses this week. I think they're wrong ;), but they were good in the first half.

ElKabong
09-11-2011, 12:12 AM
Congrats Elk on a hard fought ONE point victory. This was a pivotal game for Texas. I told my son if the line on Texas goes to 7+, I am going to unload on BYU. I did not do that. I look for an edge. My son won quite a bit of money betting on BYU. Texas will need this one to get to 8 wins.
I did not know BYU was so weak offensively, until I looked at there stats.
Very good game.

Thanks for the congrats, dog. Good luck vs the Noles, I think that's coming up next week or the week after. I'll be glued to the tv for that one.

ONE point is all it takes. All it ever has taken to win a game. I was esp impressed with our defense vs the run, our front 7 didn't get pushed around like last season. This season we have a more focused defense, likely b/c we have a DC that wants to be here. Makes a difference

ElKabong
09-11-2011, 12:18 AM

I didn't know the younger Ship' was that good, but he's special. I hope we get Davis and Young into the passing game as well, those are very talented kids.

Next yr we lose Fozzy and Cody, but bring in Gray. If Searles can coach up OL kids and recruits coming in, the future looks pretty nice.

I feel bad for Gilbert. Talented kid that hasn't responded to immense pressure. Lot of kids would've caved but I wish him the best.

Ash is supposed to be Harsin's favorite but wants Mccoy involved too. That tells me the coaching staff is using this year as an evaluation year (as they've said since march). If they're not settling on one QB, they're just experimenting. Next year is what we're waiting for, but this year s/b fun to watch them grow

ElKabong
09-13-2011, 12:13 AM
my guess / prediction that w/ come about NLT 2014

0u and oSu goes to the PAC (may happen next year)

B I G to add 4 Universities:
Notre Dame
TEXAS
Mizzou
4th w/b Syracuse or a similar excellent University (Pitt / Virginia / whatever)

B12 becomes....
North
ISU, KU, KSU, BYU, Boise, AFA
South
TCU, Baylor, Tech, Houston, New Mexico, Tulsa

Interesting thread below. Northwestern alums / fans / boosters already bitching that Nebraska doesn't belong in their conference, isn't a good fit. Saw many opinions like this before NU joined, then silence...didn't last long

http://northwestern.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=57&tid=162755759&mid=162755759&sid=901&style=2