PDA

View Full Version : Question for Purple Power (or anyone)--Linemaker at HOU

azibuck
11-22-2003, 10:07 PM
I'm looking at tonight's 8th at Sam Houston. For the Bris free PP:

http://www.brisnet.com/Promo/Free_PPs/houcomp1122.pdf

I'm not basing this question on this race alone, I've been seeing this over and over since Hou opened this fall.

How is the linemaker making his lines?

How in the heck does he have Rare Glitter at 8/5 and Questionable Past at 5/2? I can't imagine the Beyers are that much different (difference between horses, not the fig itself), because QP has already whipped RG twice.

Is a race over that track THAT important? Because that's all I can see, that RC has one at Hou while this is QP's first after four at Retama.

What am I missing? I'd say maybe that folks at HOU will hammer Asmussen, but what's happened before when I saw this is that the "right" horse wound up as chalk, not the ML fave.

az

azibuck
11-22-2003, 11:43 PM
Pgm HorseName (Jockey) Wgt M/E PP SP 1/4 1/2 Str Fin Odds
3 Questionable Past (Garner, C.J.) 119 L 3 3 4-4 3-Head 2-Head 1-3/4 0.50*
6 Rare Glitter (Chapa, R.) 119 L 6 5 1-1/2 1-1/2 1-1/2 2-9 2.30

Closer than I thought it would be, but it still doesn't make the ML any more sensible.

Observer
11-23-2003, 12:31 AM
Good call on this one .. I checked out the PPs you provided prior to your update .. and I thought the ML odds should have gone the other way for those horses .. but hey .. that happens in this game .. afterall .. the morning line is basically one person's opinion .. and some people do them differently .. I've always been under the belief that a track's Morning Line should be an approximated best guess as to what the final odds will be .. however, I think some people put their opinions in as to how they think horses will finish .. and to me, that's just wrong.

formula_2002
11-23-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by azibuck
I'm looking at tonight's 8th at Sam Houston. For the Bris free PP:

http://www.brisnet.com/Promo/Free_PPs/houcomp1122.pdf

I'm not basing this question on this race alone, I've been seeing this over and over since Hou opened this fall.

How is the linemaker making his lines?

How in the heck does he have Rare Glitter at 8/5 and Questionable Past at 5/2? I can't imagine the Beyers are that much different (difference between horses, not the fig itself), because QP has already whipped RG twice.

Is a race over that track THAT important? Because that's all I can see, that RC has one at Hou while this is QP's first after four at Retama.

What am I missing? I'd say maybe that folks at HOU will hammer Asmussen, but what's happened before when I saw this is that the "right" horse wound up as chalk, not the ML fave.

az

Hard to believe especially since QP beat RG twice!!
Be interesting to watch this one.