PDA

View Full Version : Freehold Live! Fri., Sept. 2

Teach
09-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Freehold Live!
Friday, September 2, 2011

The material contained herein is for informational and amusement purposes only. It is not intended to, nor does it constitute, the rendering of wagering advice on the speed and endurance of standardbred race horses competing at Freehold Raceway.

Any reproduction or other use of the informational posts contained herein without the express written consent of Teach, LLC, d.b.a. "the Harness Mavin," is strictly prohibited.

Race 1:

#1 CAROLSIDEAL is a well-bred (Western Ideal, Cam's Card Shark) 2-yr.-old filly who has a good chance of breaking her maiden in today's Freehold opener. She has one qualifier under her
belt in which she finished second. Jeff Dauplaise (I remember his father Norm when I visited both Yonkers and Roosevelt while I was teaching on Long Island) can handle the reins. She should be no worse than
second when the pacers reach the quarter. She should be able to pounce in the stretch. Others that merit consideration are: #5 IDEAL IN VEGAS. She came out of the same "qualie" as the top pick (she has the same starting post as in that race). She has the services of Hall of Fame driver, Cat Manzi (as they say in Nepal: Cat-Man-Do). The horse should be closing in the stretch. How good is she? Main threat to top pick. #2 GIGI'S MISSY also comes out of the same qualifier as the other two. She finished fourth. Yet, I like Grinfromeartoear-sired horses. I believe this horse may well have more in the tank than she showed in the qualie. Finally, #3 TWELVE JEMS has a third in one pari-mutuel try at Goshen (a notoriously slow half-mile oval). She finished third in that effort; she's capable of hitting the tote.

Teach
09-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Race 2:

I'm going to take a stab at what I perceive to be a longshot in this second race. My only question: Is he ready? Because if he is... I'm talking here 'bout #6 MAMAS BOO BEAR with Steve Smith. This 4-year-old Muscles Yankee-bred horse ran against some of the best three-year-old trotters at Freehold and Chester last year.. Others worthy of consideration are: #1 ALADIN AS with "Gentleman Jim" Pantaleano. This horse would appear to be the main threat to the top pick. This Choclatier-bred trotter won his last start at "The Spa". Any repeat of that effort and he'll be right there at the wire. Another horse that merits consideration is: #3 PURE BARRE. She would seem to be be a horse you might want to consider in your exotics. Can Cat sweep the double? She won her last at The Meadowlands. My only concern: How will she handle the tighter Freehold turns? In the only Freehold race I see on her past performances she stayed flat and finished third. #4 FANDANGO DANCER hit the board in two recent races in The Catskills. She appears sharp. She has faced much better at The Meadowlands and Pocono.

Teach
09-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Race 3:

#6 TRES BELLE turned in a very good front-running race at a 16-1 shot at Ocean Downs last time; she finished second. The horse should be headed for the lead once again, but at, I'm sure, much lower odds. Jack Baggitt is one of the best gate-drivers at Freehold. He should be able to put this horse on the engine. My only concern: Can Baggitt ration out her speed to hold on throughout the mile? Also in the hunt are: #1 ARTISTIC MUSIC with Jim Pantaleano. This horse has failed to hit the board in nine lifetime starts; however, she did recently finish second in a very fast qualifier at Chester. The rail should help this horse. #5 DODGE CITY'S TUNE will certainly catch her share of the tote action - and deservedly so. This Cat Manzi-driven horse was closing in the stretch at Monticello last time (she finished fourth). She's most capable of hitting the tote. Finally, #3 ISLAND BEAUTY broke at the start last time at Ocean Downs. If she can stay flat, she'll be a factor here. Worth considering in gimmicks.

Teach
09-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Race 4:

#1 QUEEN MARIE has been quite sharp, lately. She's won her last two. No reason to believe she can't make it three in a row. Will benefit from the pylons. Steve Smith is a most capable reinsman. #4 MOTHERMAYI (no, you may not) HANOVER is the "sleeper" here. She finished up the track at Pocono, last time. But, don't let that fool you. This horse ran against solid competition at Pocono. Much will depend on this horse's readiness. If this 3-yrea-old filly is reasonably ready, she may surprise. #2 NADIA B FELLA is a veteran mare that fits well in this company. She has a good starting post and the services of Cat Manzi. Most useable in gimmicks. Finally, #3 ELLOLUV (Good Day, Mate!) has hit the board in three of her last four interspersed race. Anothyer: Is the horse ready? If so, she could complete a super.

Teach
09-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Race 5:

#4 TALENTED JON with Eric Abbatiello is my lukewarm, half-baked, tepid choice. This horse did win a race in 2:00 at Harrington last May. He might just wake up and surprise. I must say I don't have a great deal of confidence. #2 HIGH ESTEEM looks like a logical choice in this weak field of trotters. The horse must stay flat. If so, he has a chance of ending an 0-for-10 2011 off-the board streak. #1 LIVID LUKE looks like a distinct hit-the-board threat. It's just that he does have a penchant for winning races (4 wins in 66 lifetime tries). Another possibility is: #3 R MONI GIRL with Don Jacobs. The horse was first and second in two recent tries at Monticello.

Teach
09-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Race 6:

One of the Freehold favorites, #1 ANNIE RUSS, is back campaigning at the junction of Routes 9 & 33. She draws the rail. She also has the services of her regular Freehold driver, Jim Marshall III. All that would seem necessary is proper handling and a good rationing out of speed over the four turn Freehold oval. A threat here could be the outside #8 BC'S JESSE. Will the Cat-Man leave with here and try to find an forwardly-placed tuck. Much will depend on the first fifteen seconds of decision-making. If Cat leaves with this horse and can be well placed, the horse becomes a factor. I like this horse's last effort at Saratoga. Others to consider are: #2 IT'S IDEAL HANOVER with Buzzy Sholty. This horse draws a good starting post. He's been facing stiffer competition at Yonkers. Don't let the times fool you. The races at Yonkers, as most harness fans are aware, are at a distance of a mile and a sixteenth. Finally, #7 BASTET GODDESS could suprise and add value to your exotic plays.

Teach
09-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Race 7:

#5 TAYA'S PHOTO comes off a win at Tioga Downs where she's been campaigning all summer. She's met with a degree of success at the upstate New York oval. No reason to believe she can't transfer those skills to Freehold. I like Jeff Gregory on trotters. #4 I LOOK SPECIAL is the main threat; she should be closing in this one. She's been either first or second against solid competition at Yonkers. #3 HONOR THE CASH did miss a recent start. Prior to that he had a decent qualifier. Might on his best complete a gimmick. #8 BIG SKY THUNDER has faced much better at Yonkers. Despite the outside post, he might just be a factor here.

Teach
09-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Race 8:

#4 MR GO would appear to be the best choice. He certainly has the front speed. Question: Can he hold on all the way to the finish line? #1 BLAZIN DELORES has faced better competition at Yonkers. Yet, she's winless this year. Certainly a factor. Maybe a bridesmaid? #3 MARION BLOOMER is another hard-knocking trotting mare. She hasn't met with too much success (2 for 20, this year). Yet, she's most capable of hitting the tote. Finally, #6 ADAM GRAM was second in a recent Freehold qualifier after three hiatus from the racing circles. If ready, he might complete a gimmick.

Teach
09-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Race 9: #6 over #s 1, 4, 7

Race 10: #2 over #s 4, 7, 1