PDA

View Full Version : Brilliant Speed finally get his chance.

turninforhome10
09-02-2011, 12:06 AM
Finally the son of Dynaformer who IMHO will be a better grass horse than dirt is going to post in the 100k Saranac Stakes. I feel this horse could be the real deal after being pissed away on the triple crown trail.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/64823/albertrani-puts-brilliant-speed-back-on-turf

Spalding No!
09-02-2011, 12:40 AM
Finally the son of Dynaformer who IMHO will be a better grass horse than dirt is going to post in the 100k Saranac Stakes. I feel this horse could be the real deal after being pissed away on the triple crown trail.

Possibly, but the exploits of King Congie and Newsdad once they returned to turf may say otherwise...

turninforhome10
09-05-2011, 01:33 AM
“He showed more kick today, which is what I had wanted to see on the dirt,” said trainer Tom Albertrani. “All things considered, he might just have to stay on the grass; Polytrack might also be an option.

"Johnny kept him a little closer to the pace today and didn’t let the lack of speed get away. I think we’ll stick with the (grade I) Jamaica (at Belmont Park, Oct. 8). In the Jim Dandy, he flattened out early. He came out of the race with so much energy, he didn’t run his race.

Guess he was a turf horse all along. Kind of nice to be vindicated. He is a better horse than King Congie and Newsdad, easily.

Robert Fischer
09-05-2011, 05:24 PM
[QUOTE=turninforhome10]Guess he was a turf horse all along. [\QUOTE]

not so sure about that.
My figures show that he is about equal on both surfaces.
I have his best race as the Belmont.

With the Belmont he was disadvantaged by the track that day, and the move he made was very impressive considering he wasn't attending the pace.

The Jim Dandy was another race that penalized him for being a closer.

with those two speed-favoring races back to back (and most people probably rating his Belmont as "not enough, flattened out...") it's easy to think Brilliant Speed needed a change.

The change certainly helped him, in that his running style wasn't a penalty.
I guess we'll see if Brilliant Speed turns out to be a really top class horse on turf - I think he was somewhat competitive in the 3yo classic distance dirt division - but not a leader. If he proves to be a leader against the good turf horses, then he is certainly proven better on turf.
The field he beat here was mediocre.

letswastemoney
09-06-2011, 02:08 AM
You will be hard pressed to find any synthetic Blue Grass Stakes winner that has been successful on dirt.

turninforhome10
09-06-2011, 07:12 AM
[QUOTE=turninforhome10]Guess he was a turf horse all along. [\QUOTE]

not so sure about that.
My figures show that he is about equal on both surfaces.
I have his best race as the Belmont.

With the Belmont he was disadvantaged by the track that day, and the move he made was very impressive considering he wasn't attending the pace.

The Jim Dandy was another race that penalized him for being a closer.

with those two speed-favoring races back to back (and most people probably rating his Belmont as "not enough, flattened out...") it's easy to think Brilliant Speed needed a change.

The change certainly helped him, in that his running style wasn't a penalty.
I guess we'll see if Brilliant Speed turns out to be a really top class horse on turf - I think he was somewhat competitive in the 3yo classic distance dirt division - but not a leader. If he proves to be a leader against the good turf horses, then he is certainly proven better on turf.
The field he beat here was mediocre.

I agree that his running style suited him better on the Sar turf, he is a one run closer and the field was suspect. The speed that he had been facing on the dirt was of much greater quality and his running style was a "penalty". I am still not sure if he fits with the Wilcox Inn, Air Support, or Treasure Beach types and what do you do with him next. Would have to think that the Jamaica fits him best as the Kent would be to close, depending on how he comes out of the race. I have to think that he prefers a little give in the ground and after NY closes and we go south Gulfstream prefers speed on its turf.It seems his campaign is a little to late for this year.
It was just nice to see Albertrani give up the Derby fever and put BS in a place where he could excel.

Robert Fischer
09-06-2011, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE=Robert Fischer]

I agree that his running style suited him better on the Sar turf, he is a one run closer and the field was suspect. The speed that he had been facing on the dirt was of much greater quality and his running style was a "penalty". I am still not sure if he fits with the Wilcox Inn, Air Support, or Treasure Beach types and what do you do with him next. Would have to think that the Jamaica fits him best as the Kent would be to close, depending on how he comes out of the race. I have to think that he prefers a little give in the ground and after NY closes and we go south Gulfstream prefers speed on its turf.It seems his campaign is a little to late for this year.
It was just nice to see Albertrani give up the Derby fever and put BS in a place where he could excel.

Read some of your posts and you have a good eye. I'll have to see if they can find a spot for Brilliant Speed. The classic seems like a reach but we'll see what Albertrani and Live Oack elect to do. :ThmbUp: