PDA

View Full Version : Derby Ticket Scheme (GUARANTEED winner at CD (for CD))

fmhealth
09-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Well let's see, you try to buy tickets for the Derby but your request is denied. You still have to pay a $50.00 fee. I think we've all just passed through the "looking glass". So, CD will profit handsomely, the customer, not so much. So even when you lose, you lose more. AMAZING!!!

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20110901/SPORTS08/309010059/Churchill-Downs-new-Kentucky-Derby-ticket-policy-includes-50-fee-fans-who-don-t-get-seats?odyssey=nav|head

OntheRail
09-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Way to pad the bonus pool...

lAD6Obi7Cag

ALL CIRCUITS GO
09-02-2011, 12:50 AM
so the vig on losing bets is now 50%!

amazing

wonder how much they will make off of this scheme?

and what happened to the winners carrying the costs in fees?

this is definitely a WTF moment.

:cool:

Stillriledup
09-02-2011, 12:55 AM
There's no way people understand that if they dont get tickets they lose 50 bucks. Maybe some of them do, but i can't imagine that all the people who lose out are thinking they're going to be 50 light in the wallet.

Maybe CD can take the money they make by ripping off the public and issue refunds to the Life At Ten bettors.

TheGhostOfOscarB
09-02-2011, 02:09 AM
You deposit 100 and they give you BACK 50 if you lose . It's like a rebate on handle.

What's the problem? Youze guys do it every day.

toussaud
09-02-2011, 10:37 AM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/churchill-s-100-takeout-pick-two/

this is just pathetic.

cj
09-02-2011, 10:42 AM
You deposit 100 and they give you BACK 50 if you lose . It's like a rebate on handle.

They also keep 50 bucks if you win.

Dave Schwartz
09-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Okay, I can build a case for this being acceptable IF EVERYONE has to face this process. Especially if the money went to charity.

Consider Big Horn Sheep tags in Nevada. For each sheep tag given there is like $50k raised at $100 each.

Consider how many people will get tickets because they are owners, relatives or friends of owners.

I can just see the 3rd race winner's owner saying, "Yeah, it would have been great if I could have seen my horse run but, I couldn't get a ticket. Oh well."

RIGHT!

I would suggest that HANA should have a public opinion about this.

cj
09-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Okay, I can build a case for this being acceptable IF EVERYONE has to face this process. Especially if the money went to charity.

Two things:

It is not going to charity
Everyone will not face this process
Hey, if they can get people to fork over the money, more power to them. It is up to the people to decide. I've been to one Derby, and it was OK, but I would never go again.

Dave Schwartz
09-02-2011, 10:55 AM
CJ,

I totally agree.

Thought about this for two more minutes and realized what this really is: It is to keep out the riff-raff. (That would be people like you and me, who count their dollars.)

This absolutely stinks.

Dave

davew
09-02-2011, 11:02 AM
They must have looked into ticketmasters model for booking concerts

riskman
09-02-2011, 11:07 AM

The problem is this CD scheme sounds like an "Oscardrive."

elhelmete
09-02-2011, 11:18 AM
That this made sense to someone at CD is really disheartening.

Rapid Grey
09-02-2011, 11:25 AM
That this made sense to someone at CD is really disheartening.

If you go to Churchill on a regular basis, as I do, you would see that this has become the norm. The Derby is the only thing they care about, the everyday player is just a necessary evil to deal with.

elhelmete
09-02-2011, 11:34 AM
If you go to Churchill on a regular basis, as I do, you would see that this has become the norm. The Derby is the only thing they care about, the everyday player is just a necessary evil to deal with.

That's interesting. I've only been to CD once and while I really liked it, and found service overall to be very good, I got the distinct impression that the place would be drastically different on KD day.

foregoforever
09-02-2011, 03:12 PM
I suppose there would be no shortage of nominations. The CHRB, the TOC, the Breeders Cup and Magna would get votes. Some around here would throw in NYRA. But IMO it's got to be ...

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/churchill-s-100-takeout-pick-two/

This is just despicable.

castaway01
09-02-2011, 04:39 PM
It's a blatant ripoff to pull something like this in a sport built on gambling, but Churchill would probably argue that it's like seat licenses in NFL stadiums. Then again, at least those actually get you a seat.

sandpit
09-02-2011, 06:09 PM
It's a blatant ripoff to pull something like this in a sport built on gambling, but Churchill would probably argue that it's like seat licenses in NFL stadiums. Then again, at least those actually get you a seat.

They already have seat licenses too...

The local Louisville radio stations, both sports and non-sports shows, really were grilling CD over this today, calling them names like "gutless", "shameless", "cowards", etc. This was the lead talking point on almost every show I heard, and that's something considering both Louisville and Kentucky started their football season last night (both teams looked less than stellar, though, so maybe that's what pushed them out of the spotlight).

Tom
09-03-2011, 10:14 AM
CJ,

I totally agree.

Thought about this for two more minutes and realized what this really is: It is to keep out the riff-raff. (That would be people like you and me, who count their dollars.)

This absolutely stinks.

Dave

No riff raff, Dave?

You mean to tell me that the management of CD will not be allowed to attend? Or the BC committee?

Wow. :eek:

speed
09-03-2011, 10:29 AM
No riff raff, Dave?

You mean to tell me that the management of CD will not be allowed to attend? Or the BC committee?

Wow. :eek:
Outstandingly well said.