PDA

View Full Version : charting / trending odds

dkbigsky
08-31-2011, 11:39 PM
are there any web sites that chart the live odds seems like it might be helpful. I have seen many times when the odds for the race start, there will be a morning line of 8/1 show up at 4/5 then gradually ratchet up. I think the horse people bet early.
I have also seen the odds dropped in the last minute for a good horse. just might be worth trending.

Seabiscuit@AR
09-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Betfair do have live charts of the odds if you have access to Betfair. I think you would only want to do it with a fixed odds service rather than a tote where you don't don't know what the odds will be till after the race has started

Robert Goren
09-01-2011, 12:16 AM
are there any web sites that chart the live odds seems like it might be helpful. I have seen many times when the odds for the race start, there will be a morning line of 8/1 show up at 4/5 then gradually ratchet up. I think the horse people bet early.
I have also seen the odds dropped in the last minute for a good horse. just might be worth trending.That is one theory. A lot of time an after-the-bell odds drop is caused by by value bettors who landed on the same horse and are waiting to last possible second in an attempt to see if their horse will stay above the necessary odds. If too many of them have the same horse then they all are making a bet on a horse at what they consider too low of odds. A lot times it ends up as thread here with a value bettor crying in his beer.

Robert Fischer
09-01-2011, 02:24 AM
you can see the "horse people" bets if you think about which pools to look in.

It starts with small pools (which i basically take to mean that at minor tracks you can see $100 across on the opening flash, or a similar situation, and you can actually see it in the win/place/show pools)... At larger pool it's harder to see. There was one time this meet, even at Saratoga when I happened to suspect than an owner who was "on a roll" apparently wagered on his or her horse. This was fair game for the rumor mill because the amount wagered was significant, and the horse in question I think had run one lifetime race coming in.
(in case you are wondering i hit a good plc/shw on the small track, and the Spa favorite faded late :p )

At a track like Saratoga or any major track, it's very hard to draw meaningful conclusions except in the extreme instances. And when there is enough action to really provide a fair probability that there is barn money - the horse is often bet pretty low.

In the mid-level tracks you have some betting horseman and this is just B.S. from observation- they like to use the horizontal multi-race exotics. One reason is that it attracts less attention. Sometimes I do see early money that looks like barn money in the daily doubles. You look and see that another horse in the next upcoming race is bet low with the favorites and not in general and is >5-1 ml in the next race... gives you something to look into. Maybe you notice "barn money" as opposed to Owner Money, and so on down to various levels of trainers assistants, backside workers... An owner might put 1000 win 500plc ... where as a worker with a more conservative bankroll but a strong(mayber strongER) opinion of the horse may put something like somethingWin somethingPLC 50SHOW where you may not be sure there was even win(or plc) money and all you see is the horse has more SHOW money than you would have figured. Maybe there is a big pick 6 today - the owner bets the pick 6 and pick 4 (both of which you can't see "they are blind pools"), and the worker puts something on the daily double with the heavy favorite in the next etc..

dkbigsky
09-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the input. I was just thiking a person could see some patterns if you could trend it.
I sure enjoy this game but it is definitly not profitable. I might win big one week but I will use the same way of betting the next week and loose my a&&. I guess that is part of the puzzle