PDA

View Full Version : Obama Calls for Joint Session of Congress but ...

Mike at A+
08-31-2011, 12:36 PM
... it happens to be the exact time and date of the next Republican presidential debate.

Was this:

A) Deliberate
B) Poor planning
C) A coincidence
D) Bush's fault

skate
08-31-2011, 12:45 PM
welp, i gots to be thinking "poor Planning".

just to keep the rhetoric continued pollutedly, no change a commin...nope.:cool:

DJofSD
08-31-2011, 12:46 PM
As a wise person has said, I don't believe in coincidences.

skate
08-31-2011, 12:53 PM

thanks, DJ

ArlJim78
08-31-2011, 12:55 PM
that's right and the corollary is that Everything is political or has a money angle and usually both.

lsbets
08-31-2011, 01:00 PM
Bush's fault of course.

mostpost
08-31-2011, 01:43 PM
... it happens to be the exact time and date of the next Republican presidential debate.

Was this:

A) Deliberate
B) Poor planning
C) A coincidence
D) Bush's fault

E. Who cares?
Even if this is accurate, it affects only two of the major announced candidates-Michelle Bachmann and Ron Paul. And have you forgotten that the previous Republican presidential debates took place while Congress was in session. Both Bachmann and Paul seemed to have no trouble attending those debates.

Mike at A+
08-31-2011, 01:54 PM
E. Who cares?
Even if this is accurate, it affects only two of the major announced candidates-Michelle Bachmann and Ron Paul. And have you forgotten that the previous Republican presidential debates took place while Congress was in session. Both Bachmann and Paul seemed to have no trouble attending those debates.
Who cares? Obviously the people who wanted to see the debate live AND to hear all about Obama's highly anticipated plan in real time.

ArlJim78
08-31-2011, 01:54 PM
E. Who cares?
good grief are you dense.

the conflict is not about whether congress is in session or not, the scheduling conflict is created by the president choosing the day of the Republican debate for a joint session. hence it effects all Republicans planning to attend the debate whether or not they are members of congress.

ArlJim78
08-31-2011, 01:56 PM
like Rush just said, Message rec'd - they are scarred to death of Perry.

Spiderman
08-31-2011, 01:56 PM
Who cares? Obviously the people who wanted to see the debate live AND to hear all about Obama's highly anticipated plan in real time.
TIVO

mostpost
08-31-2011, 02:00 PM
Obama wants to address a joint session of Congress to unveil his jobs plan. This is a lot more important than a Republican Presidential debate 14 months before the election. Of course, with Republicans, it's always party first, country second.

The President is under no obligation to check the appointment calendar of anyone when planning his day. If the Republicans decide to go ahead with their debate fine. No one will be paying any attention anyway. If Michelle and Ron are not at the Joint Session, no one will miss them.

Spiderman
08-31-2011, 02:08 PM
Democrats want Perry to run on Repubs ticket.

Mike at A+
08-31-2011, 02:15 PM
Obama wants to address a joint session of Congress to unveil his jobs plan. This is a lot more important than a Republican Presidential debate 14 months before the election. Of course, with Republicans, it's always party first, country second.

The President is under no obligation to check the appointment calendar of anyone when planning his day. If the Republicans decide to go ahead with their debate fine. No one will be paying any attention anyway. If Michelle and Ron are not at the Joint Session, no one will miss them.
He's had two and a half years to come up with a plan. His party hasn't even prepared a budget in close to 800 days. So all of a sudden the world must stop turning because he doesn't have a golf date that day?

NJ Stinks
08-31-2011, 02:15 PM
And the Globetrotters are scoring at will against the Generals!! :cool:

If this was a fight, the fans would be begging the referee to stop it. ;)

Tom
08-31-2011, 02:23 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol: God one!
I have already hears it

blah blah blah millionaires and billionaires blah blah blah shared sacrifice blah blah blah pay their fair share blah blah blah that I inherited blah blah blah.

Tom
08-31-2011, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by mostpost
Obama wants to address a joint session of Congress to unveil his jobs plan.

Post in the internet, so we can all read it.
Oh, wait, I forgot Congress does not read bills.

DJofSD
08-31-2011, 02:25 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol: God one!
I have already hears it

blah blah blah millionaires and billionaires blah blah blah shared sacrifice blah blah blah pay their fair share blah blah blah that I inherited blah blah blah.
For once, I'd like him to talk one on one with Kerry and say that same crap. John, you need to pay me -- hand it over, dude.

Tom
08-31-2011, 02:56 PM
So, Obama did not consult with the SOH to get his OK to schedule this dog and pony. Boehner should refuse that date and tell the Prez - ask first.
Contrary to his own beliefs, the president is NOT over the Congress - he is an equal branch of government and needs to show respect by asking for date before shoot off his big lying mouth. Screw hims - tell him Sept 11 - be here.

I would be overjoyed to have both houses and the prez all in the same building on the 10th anniversary of 9/11......:eek:

mostpost
08-31-2011, 03:17 PM
Scared of having a president who thinks the earth did not exist seven thousand years ago. Scared of having a president who thinks he should interfere in the doctor patient relationship. Scared of having a president who thinks secession is a viable political tactic. Scared of having a president who thinks global warming is a hoax. Yes to all the above. Scared that he might win? Not particularly.

ArlJim78
08-31-2011, 03:21 PM
yes they're scarred that he will win because they know that no matter how hard they demagogue those nonsense issues you posted, it won't be nearly enough to reelect the fraud in the WH.

ArlJim78
08-31-2011, 03:29 PM
Scared of having a president who thinks the earth did not exist seven thousand years ago.
Nobody CARES. The age of earth will not be a campaign issue. by the way, has Obama gone on the record on this important issue? if so I missed it. How old does he say the earth is?

Scared of having a president who thinks he should interfere in the doctor patient relationship.
Not after Obamacare. are you kidding? what could possible interfere more than what this president has signed into law.

Scared of having a president who thinks secession is a viable political tactic.
Secession is not an issue on the table. Nobody votes for president based on their view on secession. and what is the problem anyway? if thing get bad enough it is the only option. we're not there yet.

Scared of having a president who thinks global warming is a hoax.
It is a hoax, and most people see through that scam now.

Yes to all the above. Scared that he might win? Not particularly.

ArlJim78
08-31-2011, 03:40 PM
maybe in his new plan he'll come up with some more big hits like Solyndra. only last year he said that the company,

"is just a testament to American ingenuity and dynamism and the fact that we continue to have the best universities in the world, the best technology in the world, and most importantly the best workers in the world. "

well it didn't take long, because little more than a year later they went belly up. after boatloads of federal help too.

Way to pick 'em there chief. Maybe you should get some advice from Buffett first before you put any more of our money into these sinkholes you call "the future"

Solyndra Filing a Disaster for Obama (http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Solyndra-Filing-a-Disaster-for-Obama-128816968.html)

President Obama faces political catastrophe in the form of Solyndra — a San Francisco Bay area solar company that he touted as a gleaming example of green technology. It has announced it will declare Chapter 11 bankruptcy. More than 1,100 people will lose their jobs.

no problem though, because indefinite unemployment and foodstamps are on the house.

ArlJim78
08-31-2011, 05:01 PM
Boehner says Wednesday doesn't work champ. How about thursday night?:lol:

letter (http://www.speaker.gov/UploadedFiles/8-31-11_Speaker_Letter_to_POTUS_on_Joint_Session_Reques t.pdf)

mostpost
08-31-2011, 05:56 PM
Boehner says Wednesday doesn't work champ. How about thursday night?:lol:

letter (http://www.speaker.gov/UploadedFiles/8-31-11_Speaker_Letter_to_POTUS_on_Joint_Session_Reques t.pdf)
If the White House did not clear the request with the Speaker's office
before making it public, that was a mistake on the part of the White House.
But not because of the Republican debate. As Boehner's letter states, Congress will not be back in session until Wednesday afternoon.

This means that Congress would not have sufficient time to formally respond to the President's request. Nor would there be time for a proper security sweep.

So the real question is what happened
A. Obama just decided he wanted to speak on Wednesday. (No doubt this will get the most votes here)
B. The White House made a public request of the Speaker without discussing the matter privately. (my pick for most likely)
C. There was a misunderstand among staffers. (second most likely)
D. Boehner agreed to the request originally in private then reneged in public to embarrass the president. (Not likely, but possible.
E It's Bush's fault

johnhannibalsmith
08-31-2011, 06:10 PM
F) The fault lay with the glaring omission of a J.S.C & P.D. Scheduling Commission. Harvard will be given a grant to study the causation of such an oversight and then upon scoring of the economic impact of such Commission by the CBO, it will be funded by mandating that all legal citizens purchase llama liability insurance. "Undocumented workers" shall be exempt without submission of form 2331-03.22. All others seeking exemption shall submit form 2331-03.22. An english text of the form will be available at irs.guv by 2015.

hcap
08-31-2011, 06:58 PM
I really hope this is an indication that he has given up on niceties, and just doesn't give a shit. After all it is a well worn page from the rethug playbook.

Maybe duribg his address he will blurt out to the rethug side of the aisle "You Lie!"

Mike at A+
08-31-2011, 07:05 PM
Oh could you just imagine if Breitbart got a hold of Barry's college transcripts right before the election? Or if his cocaine dealer came forward to tell us that Barry was dealing? It will make the Bush DUI look like a walk in the park.

Robert Goren
08-31-2011, 07:14 PM
E. Who cares?
Even if this is accurate, it affects only two of the major announced candidates-Michelle Bachmann and Ron Paul. And have you forgotten that the previous Republican presidential debates took place while Congress was in session. Both Bachmann and Paul seemed to have no trouble attending those debates.I won't be watching either the president or the republican debate. Hoosier Park must be running then. :D

bigmack
08-31-2011, 09:39 PM
:lol: Obama caves to Boehner. Sept 8th he'll deliver his dopey campaign speech.

lsbets
08-31-2011, 10:10 PM

NFL opening night. :lol: :lol:

murph8
08-31-2011, 10:15 PM
bush!s fault always :bang:

RaceBookJoe
08-31-2011, 10:21 PM

Did he bow to him too :lol: rbj

mostpost
08-31-2011, 10:23 PM
He's had two and a half years to come up with a plan. His party hasn't even prepared a budget in close to 800 days. So all of a sudden the world must stop turning because he doesn't have a golf date that day?
That is a total lie. It may not be your lie. You may just be the gullible one who fell for that lie, but it is a lie. President Obama submitted his budget proposal for fiscal 2010 to Congress in February of 2009. On Feb. 1, 2010 he submitted the proposed budget for FY2011. Finally, on Feb.14, 2011 Congress received the budget for FY2012. In any or all of those budgets have not been passed it is only because of the obstructionist Republican Congress. The Democrats have done their part. The insanely partisan Republicans have done nothing.

Tom
08-31-2011, 11:00 PM
Submitting doesn't count.

lsbets
08-31-2011, 11:11 PM
That is a total lie. It may not be your lie. You may just be the gullible one who fell for that lie, but it is a lie. President Obama submitted his budget proposal for fiscal 2010 to Congress in February of 2009. On Feb. 1, 2010 he submitted the proposed budget for FY2011. Finally, on Feb.14, 2011 Congress received the budget for FY2012. In any or all of those budgets have not been passed it is only because of the obstructionist Republican Congress. The Democrats have done their part. The insanely partisan Republicans have done nothing.

How can you call anyone gullible when you post drivel like this? The Dems controlled both houses of Congress in 2009 and 2010. Please tell me you were joking in this post because I never thought you were as stupid as it makes you seem.

Tom
08-31-2011, 11:11 PM
Did he bow to him too :lol: rbj

iOYAOgVCVnU&feature=related

Tom
08-31-2011, 11:13 PM
J6TcpfBHlbs

Robert Goren
08-31-2011, 11:39 PM
The only reason to watch the republican debate would be to induce vomiting.

bigmack
08-31-2011, 11:52 PM
NFL opening night. :lol: :lol:
WH has it covered. Head gear for the WI vote DURING the speech.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/5899.jpg

mostpost
09-01-2011, 12:27 AM
How can you call anyone gullible when you post drivel like this? The Dems controlled both houses of Congress in 2009 and 2010. Please tell me you were joking in this post because I never thought you were as stupid as it makes you seem.

Not joking but perhaps not as precise as I Should have been. The budget for FY2010 was submitted in Feb, 2009 and passed July 22, 2009. The budget for FY2011 was finally passed on April 14, 2011. FY2012 is still languishing in Congress.

If you think that having a majority in Congress means you can pass whatever you want, you are one of those gullible folks you talk about above. First of all, you need sixty votes to get anything done in the Senate. For about the first year (Before Kennedy died) Democrats had sixty Senators. That does not mean they had sixty votes. DINO Ben Nelson frequently voted against his party. Joe Lieberman caucused with the democrats but was not a reliable vote.

In the House there are many Blue Dog Democrats who would be better off in the Republican party. When Nancy Pelosi was Speaker she could control them.
Unfortunately the wishy washy Sen. Reid does not have Nancy's cajones.

PaceAdvantage
09-01-2011, 12:38 AM
Democrats want Perry to run on Repubs ticket.They say that about every Repub flavor of the moment...

bigmack
09-01-2011, 12:39 AM
Not joking but perhaps not as precise as I Should have been. The budget for FY2010 was submitted in Feb, 2009 and passed July 22, 2009. The budget for FY2011 was finally passed on April 14, 2011. FY2012 is still languishing in Congress.
PolitFact:
Congress didn't pass either a budget resolution or a spending bill in 2009 and 2010. A last minute spending bill finally passed in April 2011 under the threat of a government shutdown. And, since then, the passage of the debt ceiling increase has made the passage of a budget resolution for the current fiscal year less pressing.

Taken in the context of his remarks, Roemer’s assertion implies that Obama and the Democrats have been irresponsible -- and as a result, there has been no budget for the last two years. Obama submitted budgets, but it is true that during 2009 and 2010, when Democrats controlled the Congress, no budget was passed.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2011/aug/05/buddy-roemer/obama-submitted-budgets/

PaceAdvantage
09-01-2011, 12:45 AM
Scared of having a president who thinks the earth did not exist seven thousand years ago. Scared of having a president who thinks he should interfere in the doctor patient relationship. Scared of having a president who thinks secession is a viable political tactic. Scared of having a president who thinks global warming is a hoax. Yes to all the above. Scared that he might win? Not particularly.Keep insulting the vast voting bloc known as Christians...

I am so amazed at how anti-Christian, anti-religion the left has become these days...except for of course when it comes to Islam.

Do you guys ever stop and listen to yourselves? How hateful and unaccepting you have become towards a vast number of people in this country?

And you dare label the Tea Party as racist and intolerable?

How sad you have become...and make no mistake, you have become EXACTLY like that which you rail against the most...which in my eyes is deliciously ironic.

lsbets
09-01-2011, 01:20 AM
So how on earth did they pass healthcare mosty? All you guys have for Obama is excuse after excuse after excuse. Its sad.

BlueShoe
09-01-2011, 01:52 AM
I won't be watching either the president or the republican debate.
Ditto. There is absolutely nothing that BO utters that is of interest to me, and am already becoming weary of political hot air, and there are still over 14 months to go before it finally ends.

Greyfox
09-01-2011, 02:16 AM
The budget for FY2011 was finally passed on April 14, 2011.

I'm not sure about that.
Obama put out a budget.....in Feb 2011.
Essentially it was an unrealistic "wish list" that was defeated in the Senate 97-0.

Sugar Ron
09-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Forget about BO's speech ... the do-nothing LOSER cons would like to postpone EVERYTHING till after the election.

JOB ONE is making BO a one-term president, don't ya know.

To hell with the economy and all the unemployed grunts out there

Just ask Mitch "The Gobbler" McConnell...

Tom
09-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Forget about BO's speech ... the do-nothing LOSER cons would like to postpone EVERYTHING till after the election.
BO postponed everything until after his vacation - again!

JOB ONE is getting BO re-elected, don't ya know.

To hell with the economy and all the unemployed grunts out there

Just ask Mitch "The Gobbler" McConnell...
Just ask Joe "plugs" Biden...

You were so close....

BlueShoe
09-01-2011, 11:50 AM
No, we do not know. Job one is preserving the Republic and preventing it from becoming a clone of the old Soviet Union. Making BO a one term president is just one step in the process, there are many others.

boxcar
09-01-2011, 12:07 PM

If you think that having a majority in Congress means you can pass whatever you want, you are one of those gullible folks you talk about above. First of all, you need sixty votes to get anything done in the Senate. For about the first year (Before Kennedy died) Democrats had sixty Senators. That does not mean they had sixty votes. DINO Ben Nelson frequently voted against his party. Joe Lieberman caucused with the democrats but was not a reliable vote.

In the House there are many Blue Dog Democrats who would be better off in the Republican party. When Nancy Pelosi was Speaker she could control them.
Unfortunately the wishy washy Sen. Reid does not have Nancy's cajones.

The Dems had control in the Senate until Brown was sworn in and took his seat on or about 2/11/10. So, the Dems had control for over a year.

Secondly, now you name two non-Repugs in the Senate as being obstructionist culprits, but still want to lay all the blame on the Repugs? Try clearing the cobwebs out before typing, will ya?

Boxcar

GaryG
09-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Didn't Barry Hussein step on his meat once before when trying to flex his muscles? That face off with Cheney over Gitmo got him slapped down by his dem controlled congress. Yes Barry, you are the HMFIC....:lol:

ArlJim78
09-01-2011, 12:15 PM
this is the Obama Jobs plan version 3.0
the first versions have been utter failures and we know from experience that he has no clue about creating jobs in the private sector, so we can easily anticipate what this plan will involve.

so the question is why the need for a joint session of congress. Write the plan down, hang some numbers on it in terms of cost, and send it to congress. enough with the speeches already.

he should have had a joint session to explain what he was doing in Libya and ask for the support of congress.

but a joint session just to call for extending unemployment, investing in infrastructure in certain key districts, and a couple other gimmicks is a waste of time. Washington sets the environment for jobs to be created, it doesn't actually create them. the resources for job creation are in the private sector, you just have to unburden them a bit so they can do their thing.

Robert Goren
09-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Well we know one thing that did not work. Extending the Bush tax cut for the wealthy. I remember the conservative republicans yelling in unison that we just extend them, business uncertainty would end and companies would start hiring immediately. I have mixed feeling about whether they did not know what they were talking about or they just plained lied. Either way the way the rich got out paying taxes and the unemployed working stuff is left begging for another unemployment extension. In the mean time, the country keeps going deeper in debt because it cheaper for them to buy off a few congressmen than it is to pay their taxes.

Mike at A+
09-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Well we know one thing that did not work. Extending the Bush tax cut for the wealthy. I remember the conservative republicans yelling in unison that we just extend them, business uncertainty would end and companies would start hiring immediately. I have mixed feeling about whether they did not know what they were talking about or they just plained lied. Either way the way the rich got out paying taxes and the unemployed working stuff is left begging for another unemployment extension. In the mean time, the country keeps going deeper in debt because it cheaper for them to buy off a few congressmen than it is to pay their taxes.
Sounds like you haven't heard of the new statistic Obama and his cronies brought to everyone's attention: SAVED JOBS

skate
09-01-2011, 03:03 PM
decide to go ahead with their debate fine. No one will be paying any attention anyway. If Michelle and Ron are not at the Joint Session, no one will miss them.

but your point is missed.:bang:

NJ Stinks
09-01-2011, 03:16 PM
So how on earth did they pass healthcare mosty? All you guys have for Obama is excuse after excuse after excuse. Its sad.

I wish you were kidding but obviously not.

The Dems barely passed heathcare in the Senate because the two independent senators got the count up to 60. Then they had to go back and deal with Blue Dogs in the House.

Anyway, without 60 Senators one party can count on, nobody controls much of anything. Period.

rastajenk
09-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Which is a good thing.

Saratoga_Mike
09-01-2011, 04:05 PM
I'm not sure about that.
Obama put out a budget.....in Feb 2011.
Essentially it was an unrealistic "wish list" that was defeated in the Senate 97-0.

FY11 budget is in place - it was the deal Boehner brokered, which cut domestic discretionary spending for the first time in forever, albeit very modestly. As for FY12, the just-completed debt deal lays out a blueprint for the budget, but the appropriation bills still need to be passed. The appropriators could ulitmately change spending levels.