PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Wallis And Gene Piroski Cleared Of All Race Fixing Charges

Sea Biscuit
08-31-2011, 11:54 AM
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g387/secretariat3/Wallis.jpg

On Monday, August 29, an Ontario Racing Commission appeals panel ruled that the hefty fines and suspensions which were issued to drivers Kevin Wallis and Gene Piroski due to alleged race fixing were to be lifted. The pair of reinsmen have now been cleared of all charges.

Read the full story

http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/news/8-31-11/piroski-wallis-cleared-charges.html

LottaKash
08-31-2011, 01:06 PM
Yikes !....Another blow for truth, justice, and the Ontario Way...:jump:..heehee
I am not sure what to make of anything in Racing, today....:confused:

best,

Sea Biscuit
08-31-2011, 05:06 PM
Yikes !....Another blow for truth, justice, and the Ontario Way...:jump:..heehee
I am not sure what to make of anything in Racing, today....:confused:

best,

Stop being a cynic John and picture yourself in these two guys shoes who were innocent and have been declared so.

Justice has prevailed.

LottaKash
08-31-2011, 06:43 PM
Stop being a cynic John and picture yourself in these two guys shoes who were innocent and have been declared so.

Justice has prevailed.

That is riight, justice has prevailed, and good for the parties that were accused, whether true or not

Still, Biscuit I am not being cynical at all....Notice the (heehee)...Here are some additional thoughts about how I feel about cheaters....

For me, it's about what I believe anymore, because it's like this; a long time ago in the late 60's and early 70's, when I was a budding groom of sorts, and so without mentioning any names or places, even way back then, I saw things, and heard things, get me ?.....So, human nature being what it is, what reason would I have to believe that, if I was still makin' the backstretch scene, that anything would have changed all that much ?....

Only now it's worse and more rampant "I" believe (human nature, you know).....That is just my "observation" not cynicism....

Hey Biscuit I still beat this game, so it's not like the end of the world for me....Only nowadays I keep a closer eye on who is who anymore....Cause it still pisses me off when I get "bagged" by a creepo horseman...(not saying these guys, at all)

That is not cynicism, that is righteous indignation, imo...It's about $ KASH $, mine, yours, and ours......

When it comes to "cheaters", f...k fair play, they weren't fair to begin with...

Me personally, I appreciate the heck out of it when someone points the fingers at a possible "new felon" on the rise....

best,

Sea Biscuit
09-01-2011, 10:57 AM
That is riight, justice has prevailed, and good for the parties that were accused, whether true or not

Still, Biscuit I am not being cynical at all....Notice the (heehee)...Here are some additional thoughts about how I feel about cheaters....

For me, it's about what I believe anymore, because it's like this; a long time ago in the late 60's and early 70's, when I was a budding groom of sorts, and so without mentioning any names or places, even way back then, I saw things, and heard things, get me ?.....So, human nature being what it is, what reason would I have to believe that, if I was still makin' the backstretch scene, that anything would have changed all that much ?....

Only now it's worse and more rampant "I" believe (human nature, you know).....That is just my "observation" not cynicism....

Hey Biscuit I still beat this game, so it's not like the end of the world for me....Only nowadays I keep a closer eye on who is who anymore....Cause it still pisses me off when I get "bagged" by a creepo horseman...(not saying these guys, at all)

That is not cynicism, that is righteous indignation, imo...It's about $ KASH $, mine, yours, and ours......

When it comes to "cheaters", f...k fair play, they weren't fair to begin with...

Me personally, I appreciate the heck out of it when someone points the fingers at a possible "new felon" on the rise....

best,

I know you will love reading this John.

Here is the full 36 page commission report on the Wallis hearing.

http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/files/2011%20COM%20SB%20036%20WALLIS%20Kevin%20and%20PIR OSKI%20Gene.pdf

I got as far as page 11 before I gave it up. Here are a few excerpts from the report which I thought were kinda funny

"44. Piroski explains that the race was too fast for his horse. It paced in 1.55 and 4. Although it won its next start with a different driver, that race time was much slower, 1.57."

"47. The Administration contends that Piroski was to finish out of the money but his horse could not be held back. Summa bet 17 Superfectas, 8 Triactors and 1 Exactor, all betting Wallis to be first or second (except for one ticket). Summa lost all his bets because he failed to include Piroski’s horse."

"55. Piroski denies making a hole for Brad Kramer who, according to Piroski, made his own hole Piroski’s horse went off at 18 -1 and finished 5th. The winning horse went off at 8.90 to 1.00. Piroski described his drive as “a perfect drive” for that horse."

Maybe when I have more time on my hands I will gather up the strength to read the whole report.

LottaKash
09-01-2011, 11:46 AM
I know you will love reading this John.

Here is the full 36 page commission report on the Wallis hearing.

http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/files/2011%20COM%20SB%20036%20WALLIS%20Kevin%20and%20PIR OSKI%20Gene.pdf

I got as far as page 11 before I gave it up. Here are a few excerpts from the report which I thought were kinda funny

"44. Piroski explains that the race was too fast for his horse. It paced in 1.55 and 4. Although it won its next start with a different driver, that race time was much slower, 1.57."

"47. The Administration contends that Piroski was to finish out of the money but his horse could not be held back. Summa bet 17 Superfectas, 8 Triactors and 1 Exactor, all betting Wallis to be first or second (except for one ticket). Summa lost all his bets because he failed to include Piroski’s horse."

"55. Piroski denies making a hole for Brad Kramer who, according to Piroski, made his own hole Piroski’s horse went off at 18 -1 and finished 5th. The winning horse went off at 8.90 to 1.00. Piroski described his drive as “a perfect drive” for that horse."

Maybe when I have more time on my hands I will gather up the strength to read the whole report.

Thx for posting that Biscuit...

I know it seems that at times, I am on a "rant" of a sort when it is about the who's, the why's, and the wherfore's when it comes to cheating and cheaters, and it may also seem as well, that, at those times, that I may also seem a bit cynical when speaking about such....But, the truth of it all, I am just being "vigilant" in those matters....

Heck, this is a hoss' racin' forum, so what better place to let the would-be cheaters know that, we at least, with our voices in this forum, who are the lifeblood of this sport, are watching them....I am watching, always....

I know what is going on, as it has always been that way as far as I can see and know...I just like to stay up to date about who is next most likely to be trying to "pick my pocket"... (our pockets)

best,

wilderness
09-01-2011, 11:48 AM

I read the entire thing and basically the summary comes down to Art McIlmurray pointing the finger at others based upon 3rd party hearsay.

The perception of the races and the viewing of the race video's discredits the Ontario Racing Comm Representative (Miller) as being biased because he represnts the the ORC. He's also discredited because he's not an actual horseman.

Doug Ackerman Sr., appeared ob behalf of Piroski (interpreting the race videos), even though Doug does not have any relationship with Piroski.
Ken Hardy appears on behalf of Kevin Wallis (interpreting the race videos), even though Ken does not have any relationship with Piroski.

Both Ackerman and Hardy have decades of driving and training experience, whereas Miller (ORC) has neither.

wilderness
09-01-2011, 11:55 AM
The real question here?

Will Michigan exonerate the "other five"?

Even though the "initial tip and investigation" began in Michigan, most everything was based upon the "leg work" of the Ontario ORC and 3rd party hearsay provided by McIlmurray, as well as Michigan reciprocity of Ontario's rulings.

My guess is that there will not be an exoneration in Michigan, just the same as there has NOT been been any criminal charges, which the Mich ORC bantered as "pending" more than a year ago.

Idrivetrotters
09-01-2011, 01:32 PM
It's not Kevin you got to worry about, it's his wife :)

I raced against them in Pompano for a lotta years, I'm honestly over all of them. Did he cheat? there was enough doubt to exonerate them so I accept that, have they cheated before? and more importantly, will he cheat again?

Right now it's the cheaters game, but it won't stay like that for long, the rules are changing and then we can see if trainers can handle racing clean.

LottaKash
09-01-2011, 02:50 PM
The real question here?

Will Michigan exonerate the "other five"?

I wonder about that Don ?.....We will see....:eek:

best,

LottaKash
09-01-2011, 02:53 PM
It's not Kevin you got to worry about, it's his wife :)

I raced against them in Pompano for a lotta years, I'm honestly over all of them. Did he cheat? there was enough doubt to exonerate them so I accept that, have they cheated before? and more importantly, will he cheat again?

Right now it's the cheaters game, but it won't stay like that for long, the rules are changing and then we can see if trainers can handle racing clean.

Very interesting remarks IDT, especially coming from a real-life player.....

I am still skeptical at best....about the current state of our beloved game...

best,

wilderness
09-01-2011, 04:29 PM
I am still skeptical at best....about the current state of our beloved game...

best,

What state!

Hazel Park has closed for the season, prior to September 1st.

These are photo's of the recent races at Adrian, Mich.
For decades and traditionally the races were held on Saturday to a full-grandstand (2011 was a weekday). There's NOT any pari mutuel wagering on Michigan Fairs.

These photo's provided courtesy of Michigan Harness Horseman's Association and their Facebook page.

Adrian, Mich 2011 (https://www.facebook.com/mi.harness.racing#!/media/set/?set=a.274330209243671.76441.148264741850219&type=1)

Adrian 2011 Grandstand (https://www.facebook.com/mi.harness.racing#!/photo.php?fbid=274330729243619&set=a.274330209243671.76441.148264741850219&type=1&theater)

MutuelClerk
09-02-2011, 09:26 PM
I haven't seen Kevin Wallis in quite a while. Back in the 80's Hazel Park was actually drawing people and handling pretty good money. I doubt betting patterns still exsist but I'm pretty sure Mr. Wallis didn't always give his best effort. Along with quite a few others, usually in super races. It always amazed me know one realized Jeff James was first over in almost every super race. The judges were more worried about where their pizza was and why the Tiger game wasn't on.

The State of Michigan lets EVERYONE back ( mutuel clerks too). Which helps explain the condition of racing these days. I love racing, but this state pisses me off.

wilderness
09-02-2011, 09:35 PM
It always amazed me no one realized Jeff James was first over in almost every super race.

Jeff really had no choice in the tactic!

When Jeff was young, that is how Daddy Bert desired horses to race and eventually that tactic become second nature to Jeff.

Jeff was the 1st Michigan-based driver to win 300 races in a season, which he did three times.
Last I heard, Jeff was doing quite well in real estate, as a builder.

wilderness
09-02-2011, 09:43 PM
The State of Michigan lets EVERYONE back ( mutuel clerks too). Which helps explain the condition of racing these days. I love racing, but this state pisses me off.

There's really not much difference in the "forgiveness department" between Michigan and Illinois.

In 1963 there was a drivers scandal at Scioto Downs.
Two drivers were banned for five years. Multiple others received a year.

One of the fivers ended up in Michigan (as well as two of the one-years), and later his son became a leading Chicago driver, even lead the nation a year or two in wins ;)

The other fiver from Scioto is today in the Ohio HOF, go figure ;)

A few decades ago there was a Trifecta scandal in the east. One of those involved ended up in Mich., and eventually applied for a judges position, which he did not get.

wilderness
09-02-2011, 09:52 PM
I doubt betting patterns still exsist but I'm pretty sure Mr. Wallis didn't always give his best effort.

Kevin had/has (as well as a handful of other drivers) a unique quality for getting speed out of horses that few others are capable of arousing.

It's quite an ability to have that feel in your hands.

Frequently, the horse simply doesn't react (bad day, off-feed, what ever) to Kevin (or others drivers hands) and the speed simply doesn't carry.
The resulting lack-of-finish is certainly NOT due to a lack of effort by the driver. In many instances, a punter will learn how to forecast these non-speed holding nights (it's not brain surgery).

The collapse of speed in races today is more pronounced due to the change of the horses themselves, and how they race closer to the lead than in previous decades.
Just throw out the chalks and box some longshots.

Stillriledup
09-03-2011, 12:24 AM
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g387/secretariat3/Wallis.jpg

On Monday, August 29, an Ontario Racing Commission appeals panel ruled that the hefty fines and suspensions which were issued to drivers Kevin Wallis and Gene Piroski due to alleged race fixing were to be lifted. The pair of reinsmen have now been cleared of all charges.

Read the full story

http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/news/8-31-11/piroski-wallis-cleared-charges.html

Man, that's summa story!

showbet
09-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Wallis and Piroski scheduled to drive on the opening night card at Windsor (http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/racing/entries/data/e0911wrfn.dat) tonight.

Sea Biscuit
09-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Wallis and Piroski scheduled to drive on the opening night card at Windsor (http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/racing/entries/data/e0911wrfn.dat) tonight.

Wallis already drove at Dresden Raceway this afternoon.

Had a pair of winners.