PDA

View Full Version : Obama's "Plan"

Mike at A+
08-31-2011, 08:50 AM
Just heard that "the president's job plan" might include tax incentives for businesses to start hiring. Now where did I hear that before???

Oh, that's right, I RECOMMENDED THAT WELL OVER A FU**ING YEAR AGO!

Now if he'd only listen to me on increased domestic drilling we might actually begin to have that "Recovery Summer" that Joe "Foot in Mouth" Biden advertised in the Spring of 2010.

elysiantraveller
08-31-2011, 09:19 AM
Are you referring to domestic drilling because of job/industry creation?

DJofSD
08-31-2011, 09:20 AM
His plan will be more of the same: uncontrollable spending, centralized planning and rigged deals to only benefit unions and his cronies.

Mike at A+
08-31-2011, 09:36 AM
Are you referring to domestic drilling because of job/industry creation?
I believe that the psychological effect of increased domestic drilling would be a huge "feel good" measure for the economy. It would instill the attitude worldwide that America is on its way back. As far as actual jobs created, I think the major benefits will be in the peripheral jobs spun off in unrelated fields by such a policy. For instance, if we go for shale oil in the midwest, you'll see all sorts of small businesses springing up in the immediate areas where drilling takes place.

Tom
08-31-2011, 10:08 AM
Whatever Obama tells you his plan is, that is not his plan.

elysiantraveller
08-31-2011, 10:10 AM
Fair enough...

I agree and am for domestic drilling I just get leery when people say it will lower our cost at the pumps and end our reliance on foreign oil... it won't do either.

When presenting it people need to be honest about what it will accomplish and not be like Bachman promising $2 gas.

ArlJim78
08-31-2011, 10:12 AM
Fair enough...

I agree and am for domestic drilling I just get leery when people say it will lower our cost at the pumps and end our reliance on foreign oil... it won't do either.

When presenting it people need to be honest about what it will accomplish and not be like Bachman promising $2 gas.
okay forget about cost, but would it not reduce our reliance on foreign oil?

Mike at A+
08-31-2011, 10:16 AM
Fair enough...

Well it COULD lower prices at the pump if regulated properly. Opponents of that theory always say that any oil we get will simply be sold on the worldwide market at the going price. We could easily pass legislation to eliminate that notion and the oil companies would still jump at the opportunity to increase domestic production with a little arm twisting.

elysiantraveller
08-31-2011, 10:28 AM
okay forget about cost, but would it not reduce our reliance on foreign oil?

To answer both of you:

Marginally... Strategically (Gov't, Military, Infrastructure) yes it would be significant but commercially (Gas pumps, cost of goods)... not so much.

OPEC still sets the price and we simply can't produce enough of it to affect the supply side. We produce 1.5 million barrels a day OPEC just produces 1.5 million barrels a day less.

OR they produce 5 million more and drive you out of business before you even get started...

OR they produce 5 million less and use political pressure to stop you...

OR.... OR....

Its like parking your hotdog stand next to a Nathan's :)

Mike at A+
08-31-2011, 10:47 AM
OPEC nations depend on us for things as well. Protection for one comes to mind. We certainly have the ability to twist their arms as well. There are several games we can play to keep them in line. But then again, that takes something many of our politicians lack, BALLS.

ArlJim78
08-31-2011, 10:48 AM
so the answer is yes, as long as we stay the course and don't react to OPEC's countermeasures, more production here means less reliance on foreign oil. this should be a vital national strategic initiative. produce here or buy from allies, and reduce reliance on Opec.

DJofSD
08-31-2011, 10:58 AM
The less reliance on foriegn has been touted since the 1970's. Remember? It has not happened, and, IMO, never will.

Back on topic: the use of the word plan is misleading. What will actually be announced is a strategy.

murph8
08-31-2011, 10:59 AM
over and over again tired of listening :mad:

elysiantraveller
08-31-2011, 11:00 AM
You have to react to OPEC's countermeasures because its simply supply/demand economics. We aren't talking about toasters we are talking about the essential ingredient to production. Most of our oil comes from Canada and Mexico anyway.

Mike at A+
08-31-2011, 11:17 AM
I like Donald Trump's ideas on oil. We should just go in and take it. We lose more than enough American lives defending these ungrateful SOB's and it's about time we get compensated properly. But again, that takes BALLS which our politicians don't have.

Tom
08-31-2011, 11:32 AM
over and over again tired of listening :mad:

Me too. Vote Republican in 2012.
That should do 'er.

DJofSD
08-31-2011, 11:51 AM
Exactly right: no balls=politican; with balls=statesman

boxcar
08-31-2011, 12:03 PM
His plan will be more of the same: uncontrollable spending, centralized planning and rigged deals to only benefit unions and his cronies.

I think you're your dead on target. Rush fully expects another stimulus proposal. The Dem's are now the Party of Would Haves. BO's entire campaign will be run on this phrase -- how much better everything in the country would have been, if only they had spent more -- if only the stiff necked, unyielding Republicans would have compromised more, etc., etc.

But the main reason for the another huge stimulus proposal is to set the Repugs up as the party of No come the election. Obama knows the Republicans won't go along to get along. This will give BO, yet, another item to add to his ever-growing Blame List -- for example, the Republicans don't want the country to recover, they don't want to put people back to work, blah, blah, blah.

So, yes, it will be more of the same ol' same ol.

Boxcar

ArlJim78
08-31-2011, 12:29 PM
unless his plan involves rolling back Obamacare, dodd-frank, the EPA and NLRB regulations then its pointless and will amount to nothing more than election year posturing and pandering.

Lefty
08-31-2011, 03:51 PM
His real, and continuing plan is to get as many of us as possible dependent on the fed govt

RaceBookJoe
08-31-2011, 10:20 PM
http://www.mynews3.com/content/news/local/story/Solar-company-that-received-federal-loan-shuts/Ob1rsDhFM0mNKemr-ih1uw.cspx

Yay Obama :rolleyes:

Lefty
08-31-2011, 11:49 PM
racebook joe, Rush was talking about this very thing today.
Here's a snippet from the article:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- A California solar-panel manufacturer that received a $535 million loan from the federal government has announced layoffs of 1,100 workers and plans to file for bankruptcy.

Solyndra LLC, based in Fremont, Calif., announced that global economic conditions have forced the company to suspend its manufacturing operations.

As Rush asks, "what happened? The Sun is still there."

JustRalph
09-01-2011, 12:08 AM
535 Million to this dog............

The CEO is a pal of Barbara Boxer from what I read online.

bigmack
09-01-2011, 12:16 AM
I so hope he yaps about more green jobs. That worked well.

Solyndra was the epitome of what the government envisioned to be our green tech future. President Obama came to tour the solar panel production line. So did Governor Schwarzenegger and Senator Barbara boxer. Confidence was so high that Solyndra got a $535 million Stimulus Program loan to build this new factory along Highway 880 in Fremont.

Yesterday announced bankruptcy. :(

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/solyndra.png

Robert Goren
09-01-2011, 12:23 AM
Well it COULD lower prices at the pump if regulated properly. Opponents of that theory always say that any oil we get will simply be sold on the worldwide market at the going price. We could easily pass legislation to eliminate that notion and the oil companies would still jump at the opportunity to increase domestic production with a little arm twisting.Since when have you been increased government regulation? Are you turning into a liberal?:D

Mike at A+
09-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Since when have you been increased government regulation? Are you turning into a liberal?:D
That "regulation" would be voluntary for any oil company that wishes to participate. They'll be lining up to prove to American consumers that their company is for the people.

I believe in a concept called "nationalism". America first and screw everyone else. I don't buy into the global bullshit. I don't believe in foreign aid unless we get something of value in return. And after we got rid of Saddam, we should have taken from Iraq payment in oil as Donald Trump recommended.

Robert Goren
09-01-2011, 08:09 AM
That "regulation" would be voluntary for any oil company that wishes to participate. They'll be lining up to prove to American consumers that their company is for the people.

I believe in a concept called "nationalism". America first and screw everyone else. I don't buy into the global bullshit. I don't believe in foreign aid unless we get something of value in return. And after we got rid of Saddam, we should have taken from Iraq payment in oil as Donald Trump recommended. You are kidding right?

Mike at A+
09-01-2011, 08:18 AM
You are kidding right?
Nope. I'm dead serious. The deal is you get as many oil contracts as you want with the stipulation that the refined product stays in America and gets sold to the American consumer at bargain prices. I would even regulate consumption at the end user level to make sure everyone gets a crack at cheaper fillups every now and then.

rastajenk
09-01-2011, 10:07 AM
I think a big part of his "jobs plan" will be infrastructure repair, which means a big outlay of money (Hooray for the raised debt ceiling!! :rolleyes: ) to mostly union outfits. In other words, same ol' same ol'. Crumbling roads and bridges have always been out there waiting for politicians to score cheap points. Obama's realization a while ago that there weren't really any "shovel-ready" jobs to benefit from the last stimulus won't stop him from going down that road again.

I'm not against road repairs. But I also think that a lot of the unemployed are not "shovel-ready" either, and the effect of his plan on the rate of joblessness will be completely insignificant, yet costly.

Tom
09-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Nope. I'm dead serious. The deal is you get as many oil contracts as you want with the stipulation that the refined product stays in America and gets sold to the American consumer at bargain prices. I would even regulate consumption at the end user level to make sure everyone gets a crack at cheaper fillups every now and then.

Makes sense to restrict the use at home.

DJofSD
09-01-2011, 03:27 PM
I so hope he yaps about more green jobs. That worked well.

Yesterday announced bankruptcy. :(

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/solyndra.png
One thing I heard yesterday when this was discussed in the news, one of the reasons for the failure, wait for it: government red tape.