PDA

View Full Version : AARP

CryingForTheHorses
08-30-2011, 04:28 PM
I keep getting these spam emails telling me the AARP has a gift for me...Who are they,Does anyone know..Im also getting retirement places to go around my area...Im only 55 not feeble yet..As a Canadian I dont know what this is all about.Do the AARP people really know me?

LottaKash
08-30-2011, 04:41 PM
I keep getting these spam emails telling me the AARP has a gift for me...Who are they,Does anyone know..Im also getting retirement places to go around my area...Im only 55 not feeble yet..As a Canadian I dont know what this is all about.Do the AARP people really know me?

Years ago AARP was just a little association that was kind of looking out for the Senior_Set....

This is no longer true, they have turned out to be nothing more than an insurance company that will sell you the Brooklyn Bridge if you let them....

Not only that, they have become one of the "major" shills for the Big-Pharma companies that have nothing do with health, and all to do with selling hope to aging and trusting seniors by endorsing their "poisonous" concoctions that come with their own set of destructive side effects...

AARP....:ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: ....Ravenous Wolves in Sheep's Clothing, imo...

best,

ArlJim78
08-30-2011, 04:53 PM
another big lobby group "lookin out for the little guy". what a sham. everything I get from AARP goes directly into the waste bin.

Marshall Bennett
08-30-2011, 05:55 PM
I was once a member. Then the junk mail began arriving, tons of it. Insurance, vacations, roadside assistance, you name it they're into it. I called and attempted to be removed from their mailing list. The woman said all members receive their mail there was nothing she could do. I said fine, cancel my membership and soon after the junk stopped coming.

BlueShoe
08-30-2011, 06:04 PM
AARP=Barf as far as I am concerned. Never have been a member, never will. Half the seniors in the USA are said to be members. They are an advocacy group for many liberal positions that I, as a conservative, oppose. Socialized medicine and gun control are two of the most prominent. If Obamacare becomes a reality they stand to make a fortune.

Actor
08-30-2011, 06:55 PM
I keep getting these spam emails telling me the AARP has a gift for me...Who are they,Does anyone know..Im also getting retirement places to go around my area...Im only 55 not feeble yet..As a Canadian I dont know what this is all about.Do the AARP people really know me?AARP membership is open to those over 50. I don't know if membership is open to non-US Citizens.

Membership is currently $16/year. I get that back from discounts.

canleakid
08-30-2011, 07:15 PM
AARP nice discounts for many many things, so you get the cost of the membership back in no time at all (cup of coffee for a buck for all in your party @ Dennyy's, @ Regal theatres $5.50 for a 32oz. drink & 64 oz. popcorn some of my fav.things) junk mail yeap you get that too.

sonnyp
08-30-2011, 07:48 PM
AARP nice discounts for many many things, so you get the cost of the membership back in no time at all (cup of coffee for a buck for all in your party @ Dennyy's, @ Regal theatres $5.50 for a 32oz. drink & 64 oz. popcorn some of my fav.things) junk mail yeap you get that too.

the biggest discount with them USED TO BE car insurance but it's not even competitive any more.

Robert Goren
08-30-2011, 08:23 PM
the biggest discount with them USED TO BE car insurance but it's not even competitive any more.It still was last year, but I always check. It is closer every year.

Track Collector
08-30-2011, 08:31 PM
AARP=Barf as far as I am concerned. Never have been a member, never will. Half the seniors in the USA are said to be members. They are an advocacy group for many liberal positions that I, as a conservative, oppose. Socialized medicine and gun control are two of the most prominent. If Obamacare becomes a reality they stand to make a fortune.

I agree with you that AAPR is too liberal. Other posters mentioned discounts, but for me they do not outweigh the social positions that AARP supports that I do not agree with.

Tom
08-30-2011, 08:35 PM
Agree - I dropped out of it. Screw them.

Shemp Howard
08-30-2011, 08:40 PM
Did you ever vote Democrat? They get their mailing lists from Democrat Party databases.

Actor
08-30-2011, 09:46 PM
Did you ever vote Democrat?The only time I ever voted Republican was 1964. I was told that if I voted for Goldwater that we would be in Vietnam within a year. I voted for Goldwater and sure enough within a year we were in Vietnam. :bang:

ArlJim78
08-30-2011, 10:49 PM
did they tell you that if you voted for Obama the war in Afg/Pak would surge to new heights of casualties and that we'd break into a new war in Libya?

canleakid
08-31-2011, 10:55 AM
I agree with you that AAPR is too liberal. Other posters mentioned discounts, but for me they do not outweigh the social positions that AARP supports that I do not agree with.

Most of the AARP members I know tend to be more conservative, have more
spendable income, rant and rave 'bout most things, but the bottom line is we like to save money :cool: liberal or conservative :confused: AARP does not tell me who to vote for.

murph8
08-31-2011, 10:57 AM
by far they are the worst had dealings with them never again :bang:

elysiantraveller
08-31-2011, 11:10 AM
AARP offers some pretty good incentives depending on where you live. Their Garuanteed Issue Medigap plans are a plus. Its still prudent to shop their incentives but in some areas there are pretty solid benefits to being a AARP member. In my area they aren't that great but I know of plenty of locations where they are more than competitive.

BlueShoe
08-31-2011, 11:44 AM
Most of the AARP members I know tend to be more conservative, have more
spendable income, rant and rave 'bout most things, but the bottom line is we like to save money
But the things that you purchase through AARP and the dues you pay goes toward funding issues and political positions that you may oppose. For myself, refuse to compromise my principles in exchange for bread and circuses or a few pieces of silver.

canleakid
08-31-2011, 05:46 PM
But the things that you purchase through AARP and the dues you pay goes toward funding issues and political positions that you may oppose. For myself, refuse to compromise my principles in exchange for bread and circuses or a few pieces of silver.

Does anybody really know what political positions the businesses we deal with everyday really have? "NAH" So do we boycott a business or service cause we do not like their political positions or what we think their political positions are? IMHO I am not compromising my prinicples, just keeping a few more pieces of silver.

ArlJim78
08-31-2011, 05:58 PM
Does anybody really know what political positions the businesses we deal with everyday really have? "NAH" So do we boycott a business or service cause we do not like their political positions or what we think their political positions are? IMHO I am not compromising my prinicples, just keeping a few more pieces of silver.
keep in mind that while you're feeling so great about your discounts you're also supporting a group that worked to pass Obamacare as well as other big government programs.

canleakid
08-31-2011, 09:04 PM
keep in mind that while you're feeling so great about your discounts you're also supporting a group that worked to pass Obamacare as well as other big government programs.

you win some and you lose some, laws get repealed, lobbyist are just a part of the mess, don't forget the member of congress that passed the bill. maybe 2012 will bring a change ???????

elysiantraveller
08-31-2011, 09:07 PM

If you are on medicare you are collecting discounts and are unaffected by Obamacare so... whats the point. If its cheaper do it.

Actor
08-31-2011, 11:56 PM
I have friends and relatives who now have health insurance thanks to Obamacare. That's the difference between life and death.

JustRalph
08-31-2011, 11:58 PM
I have friends and relatives who now have health insurance thanks to Obamacare. That's the difference between life and death.

Tell them to send me and a whole lot of others a thank you card. We are paying for it..........

elysiantraveller
09-01-2011, 01:20 AM
Tell them to send me and a whole lot of others a thank you card. We are paying for it..........

They are too...

bigmack
09-01-2011, 02:15 AM
Good for BlueShoe & ArlJim for standing up for their principles. Member discounts is how they've grown to what they are.

Fixed incomes and discounts coming to meet? What a surprise.
According to AARP's 2008 Consolidated financials, it was paid $652,000,000 in royalties from insurance companies that sold products referred by AARP. AARP also received an additional $120,000,000 for the ads placed in its publications.
Like I've always said; Traffic, baby. You get traffic, you get the big dough. Medium doesn't matter.

AAA longs to be AARP. They swim in the same business model.

Actor
09-01-2011, 05:56 AM
Tell them to send me and a whole lot of others a thank you card. We are paying for it..........And you are also paying for police protection, national defense, air traffic control, the Center for Disease Control, etc., etc. Even Jesus paid taxes. Why should you get a free ride?

However, just to make you happy and even though I will never get out of it what I paid into it, I personally thank you for my Social Security check, your share of which is definitely less than a penny per month.

Tom
09-01-2011, 07:58 AM
They are too...

But Ralph gets no benefits from it.

Tom
09-01-2011, 07:59 AM
And you are also paying for police protection, national defense, air traffic control, the Center for Disease Control, etc., etc. Even Jesus paid taxes. Why should you get a free ride?

However, just to make you happy and even though I will never get out of it what I paid into it, I personally thank you for my Social Security check, your share of which is definitely less than a penny per month.

The FREE RIDE is not Ralph, but our relatives. Why should Ralph, ad I pay for YOUR benefits??????

elysiantraveller
09-01-2011, 08:08 AM
But Ralph gets no benefits from it.

What Actor is inferring is that before HRC he had friends that couldn't get major medical service and now they can because of the elimination of Pre-Ex's for disqualification that occurred last Sept. 20th. Subsidies haven't begun yet. Those people many of whom are sick are now able to enroll in health insurance just like you and I are. Also Ralph's tax payer dollars aren't paying for any of it his HMO/PPO is just like the Actors friend who also is now paying in.

I don't think because someone is diagnosed with a illness they shoud be forced to live their entire life under the weight of their medical bills... then if and when they die pass that burden on to their spouse/children/society. Imagine if you had a close friend, relative, child diagnosed with CF, ALS, Leukemia, etc. You would be okay with them living their life under towering medical bills?

If you don't like shared sacrifice don't buy insurance... go it your own and let me know how that works out for you...

elysiantraveller
09-01-2011, 08:11 AM
The FREE RIDE is not Ralph, but our relatives. Why should Ralph, ad I pay for YOUR benefits??????

This is a lie... also as of Sept. 20th last year you now get Unlimited 1st Dollar Preventative Care at no cost.

Tom
09-01-2011, 10:58 AM
If you don't like shared sacrifice don't buy insurance... go it your own and let me know how that works out for you...

I have no problem paying for my own. I do not feel obligate to pay for someone else's.

Do I get to sleep with his wife? After all, we all must share, right?

elysiantraveller
09-01-2011, 11:06 AM
What the hell are you talking about? :confused: "pay for my own"

If you don't like paying for someone else's care don't have insurance... Do you understand the principle of insurance? Risk-transfer?

Tom
09-01-2011, 10:50 PM
The premiums....duh. Do you have a clue what is going on in this thread?
Call someone.

elysiantraveller
09-01-2011, 10:54 PM
The premiums....duh. Do you have a clue what is going on in this thread?
Call someone.

I'm a broker I know a lot more about whats going on...

So then explain to me how you are paying other people's premiums right now?

Thats my point you can't... because you aren't... people with pre-ex's as of September last year can enroll in a MM plan and pay a premium that is exactly the same as yours and in most cases more. There are no subsidies right now.

You wanted to know what extra benefits you get: The benefit is Unlimited 1st Dollar Preventative Care. Its actually a pretty big benefit.

So when someone says you should thank them because they can now get health insurance the person A) doesn't know what they are talking about B) Is actually, more than likely, paying less than other said person and C) is pretty insensitive.

If you try REAL HARD here Tom you might learn something... Your precious tax dollars aren't paying for ANYONE'S Health Insurance Premiums...

Tom
09-01-2011, 11:01 PM
When my tax dollars pay for someone else's premiums.

d) boring as all hell.

elysiantraveller
09-01-2011, 11:04 PM
When my tax dollars pay for someone else's premiums.

d) boring as all hell.

e) yet again you have no clue what you are talking about.