PDA

View Full Version : Wi-Fi Ready..Can it be done?

Flysofree
08-30-2011, 01:47 PM
I have an older Hp Pavilion (about 6 years old) that I've replaced with a newer one and with a newer Internet Provider. I want to get internet on the other older Hp, but the sales person, said it must be Wi-Fi ready.

I don't think it is, but how would I find out. It's a desktop and not a laptop. Can it be made Wi-Fi ready with some part bought at a computer store??

I don't have another outlet to use a cable modem, so that is out.

BillW
08-30-2011, 01:53 PM
I have an older Hp Pavilion (about 6 years old) that I've replaced with a newer one and with a newer Internet Provider. I want to get internet on the other older Hp, but the sales person, said it must be Wi-Fi ready.

I don't think it is, but how would I find out. It's a desktop and not a laptop. Can it be made Wi-Fi ready with some part bought at a computer store??

I don't have another outlet to use a cable modem, so that is out.

You should ask the advice of your ISP. Typically desktops do not have Wi-Fi capability but the wireless routers supplied by the ISP's usually have multiple ethernet outlets. If your wireless router is not located where your desktop is, you would just have to get a cable long enough to reach between the two.

senortout
08-30-2011, 01:57 PM
you can most likely install a wi-fi adaptor in the old computer, allowing it to be used some distance from wireless router....

BillW
08-30-2011, 01:58 PM
Here's another option ...

Something like this would make your desktop "WiFi ready":

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6367152&CatId=2704

DJofSD
08-30-2011, 02:02 PM
you can most likely install a wi-fi adaptor in the old computer, allowing it to be used some distance from wireless router....
Exactly. I have two of these from D-Link and are for PCMCIA slots (now called PC cards). And, I have a USB device which does the samething.

These are likely become scarce since WiFi is being built into all laptops and pad devices.

Flysofree
08-30-2011, 02:11 PM
Thanks for all this information. The Cox sales people are no different from Verizon when it comes to knowing what's up. They do speak English better.

I'll belooking into this

Dave Schwartz
08-30-2011, 09:22 PM
The thing Bill pointed to is dead-bang easy.

I put on in my laptop after the on-board wireless failed. The laptop is 6 years old and runs circles around most of the laptops out there today for what I need to do with it.

Dave Schwartz

JustRalph
08-30-2011, 10:00 PM
USB versions of wifi adapters are great, you can move them from machine to machine and USB isn't going anywhere for a while

Flysofree
08-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Which is the absolute easiest to hook up for a DUMMY? I worry that something somewhere gets hooked up wrong and I mess up my computer's internet connection.