PDA

View Full Version : NASA Scientist Getting in on Space Alien Threat

boxcar
08-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Aliens may destroy humanity to protect other civilisations, say scientists

Rising greenhouse emissions could tip off aliens that we are a rapidly expanding threat, warns a report.

It may not rank as the most compelling reason to curb greenhouse gases, but reducing our emissions might just save humanity from a pre-emptive alien attack, scientists claim.

Watching from afar, extraterrestrial beings might view changes in Earth's atmosphere as symptomatic of a civilisation growing out of control and take drastic action to keep us from becoming a more serious threat, the researchers explain.

This highly speculative scenario is one of several described by a Nasa-affiliated scientist and colleagues at Pennsylvania State University that, while considered unlikely, they say could play out were humans and alien life to make contact at some point in the future.

Shawn Domagal-Goldman of Nasa's Planetary Science Division and his colleagues compiled a list of plausible outcomes that could unfold in the aftermath of a close encounter, to help humanity "prepare for actual contact".

This junk scientist who buy into to the junk science of man-made global warming has just redefined what it means to be desperate. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/aug/18/aliens-destroy-humanity-protect-civilisations

Truth is indeed stranger than fiction.

Boxcar

Greyfox
08-29-2011, 07:47 PM
In this day and age, this is relatively old news and was posted here a month ago.

See this link:
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85761&highlight=Warming

boxcar
08-29-2011, 08:51 PM
In this day and age, this is relatively old news and was posted here a month ago.

See this link:
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85761&highlight=Warming

Two observations: You must operate on a different lunar cycle 'cause the date of my article was only 8/18 -- less than two weeks ago. Secondly, the thread to which you linked us to had nothing to do with aliens invading our planet. Other than these two minor "factoids" your point is well taken. :D

Boxcar

Greyfox
08-29-2011, 09:24 PM
Right. I gave you the wrong link.
However, the NASA alien stuff was up about 2 weeks ago on this forum and discussed at the time it came out. Unfortunately, I can't find the thread.Wind your watch ahead.

Hanover1
08-29-2011, 09:28 PM
If they are smart enough to find us before we find them, I conclude they see us as a threat to ourselves and noone else. To be watched with amusement at the suffering we enact upon one another, while struggling to understand our existence in the first place. Threat? A free ticket to the county fair perhaps. They will quickly notice that ants are superior in social activity as opposed to us, and continue to be amused. Hardly a threat if we follow our accepted logic to its conclusion here.

boxcar
08-29-2011, 10:51 PM
Right. I gave you the wrong link.
However, the NASA alien stuff was up about 2 weeks ago on this forum and discussed at the time it came out. Unfortunately, I can't find the thread.Wind your watch ahead.

You might be thinking of the Klugman story I posted. He, too, was hypothesizing about all the good things would happen to the economy if we we were to be invaded by space monsters. :rolleyes: The Left has totally lost it.

Boxcar

Greyfox
08-29-2011, 10:58 PM
No. It was a NASA link. I think one guy said they might even eat us.
Now that would be "thought for food." :rolleyes:

FantasticDan
08-29-2011, 11:16 PM
Greyfox, I think this is what you're looking for.. it was buried in the Rick Perry thread..

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84308&page=15&pp=15

sammy the sage
08-29-2011, 11:28 PM
Who gives a fraats :rolleyes: :faint: :D :lol:

Greyfox
08-30-2011, 12:07 AM
Greyfox, I think this is what you're looking for.. it was buried in the Rick Perry thread..

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84308&page=15&pp=15

Thank you FantasticDan, I knew that I had read it. But danged I couldn't find it. The dateline was Aug 19.

bigmack
08-30-2011, 01:00 AM
In other GW news....

Al Gore to Global Warming Skeptics: You Will be Shunned Like Racists

When the reporter interjected he didn't the see the correlation between civil rights (something Al's father voted against) and global warming Al agreed and said "Well morally it is." So it's Al's position that if you question MM GW you're like someone who wanted separation of races????

Gore urged Americans to curb greenhouse gases, adding that "The very existence of our civilization is threatened." :lol:

Big Al is losing it - http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/205594/20110829/al-gore-climate-change-global-warming-skeptics.htm

Being most of the media is in on the scam with 'Warmists' ---

Mental illness rise linked to climate

RATES of mental illnesses including depression and post-traumatic stress will increase as a result of climate change, a report to be released today says.

The paper, prepared for the Climate Institute, :D says loss of social cohesion in the wake of severe weather events related to climate change could be linked to increased rates of anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress and substance abuse.

The report, A Climate of Suffering: The Real Cost of Living with Inaction on Climate Change, called the past 15 years a ''preview of life under unrestrained global warming''. :lol: :lol:

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/mental-illness-rise-linked-to-climate-20110828-1jger.html

boxcar
08-30-2011, 01:11 AM
In other GW news....

Al Gore to Global Warming Skeptics: You Will be Shunned Like Racists

When the reporter interjected he didn't the see the correlation between civil rights (something Al's father voted against) and global warming Al agreed and said "Well morally it is." So it's Al's position that if you question MM GW you're like someone who wanted separation of races????

Gore urged Americans to curb greenhouse gases, adding that "The very existence of our civilization is threatened." :lol:

Big Al is losing it - http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/205594/20110829/al-gore-climate-change-global-warming-skeptics.htm

Being most of the media is in on the scam with 'Warmists' ---

Mental illness rise linked to climate

:lol: :lol:

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/mental-illness-rise-linked-to-climate-20110828-1jger.html

These blind sheeple are also redefining "paranoia".

Boxcar

Tom
08-30-2011, 09:34 AM
The center of Al Gore's head is millions and millions of degrees.

Marshall Bennett
08-30-2011, 10:56 AM
I don't believe in aliens anyway. We have to be within their scope of existance before they can be termed aliens. The universe is too vast and time prevents our being discovered so I don't get bothered with it.

Tom
08-30-2011, 10:59 AM
You better go see Apollo 18....just saying.....

elysiantraveller
08-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Aliens are the reason we have the F-22... :)

redshift1
08-30-2011, 04:37 PM
I don't believe in aliens anyway. We have to be within their scope of existance before they can be termed aliens. The universe is too vast and time prevents our being discovered so I don't get bothered with it.

Time prevents us from being discovered? Which law of physics is that?

FantasticDan
08-30-2011, 04:40 PM
"Time has little to do with infinity and jelly donuts."

boxcar
08-30-2011, 05:59 PM

Yeah, it does to folks who can't find any to make those jelly donuts. :p

Boxcar

Marshall Bennett
08-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Time prevents us from being discovered? Which law of physics is that?
Quite simple. We're hundreds if not thousands light years distance from any probable life forms, none of which likely are as advanced as us. Time travel prevents any communication at that distance as even with our technology it would take millions of years to reach us. Of course if you're one of those that believe in the impossible, I suppose anything is possible. I simply don't buy into it.
I've owned telescopes and strudied astronomy for years. It's my favorite hobby. The more you learn and research, the more you write off aliens, UFO's, ect. They simply don't exist.

boxcar
08-30-2011, 06:26 PM
Quite simple. We're hundreds if not thousands light years distance from any probable life forms, none of which likely are as advanced as us. Time travel prevents any communication at that distance as even with our technology it would take millions of years to reach us. Of course if you're one of those that believe in the impossible, I suppose anything is possible. I simply don't buy into it.
I've owned telescopes and strudied astronomy for years. It's my favorite hobby. The more you learn and research, the more you write off aliens, UFO's, ect. They simply don't exist.

I take it you don't listen to Coast-to-Coast? :D

I enjoyed "Contact", though, with Jodie Foster. :)

Boxcar

OTM Al
08-30-2011, 06:31 PM

I loved that show! Made my day with that little snippet! :ThmbUp:

FantasticDan
08-30-2011, 06:41 PM
I loved that show! Made my day with that little snippet! :ThmbUp:Nice.. I figured it was a 100-1 shot that someone would know it.. :ThmbUp: :) :ThmbUp:

LottaKash
08-30-2011, 07:38 PM

MB, I appreciate your hobbey investment and passion as what you have said are more or less true statements, but perhaps you may have left out a trinket or two....

There are many noted astonomers, astro physicists, etc. who contnend that Black Holes, White holes, and Worm holes "do exist".....And that, we just don't understand them as well as we would like to at this juncture of our learning experience with our theories.....If we had enough of undertstanding of such things, we just may find that travelling thruout the universe quickly, is easier than what we first thought it to be by measuring light years and such....

I am quite surprised that you are so certain of the non-existence of aliens or the possibility of time and space travel by other than known or understood means.

best,

Tape Reader
08-30-2011, 07:48 PM
Has anyone read the books of the late Zecharia Sitchin?

http://www.sitchin.com/

Tape Reader

boxcar
08-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Has anyone read the books of the late Zecharia Sitchin?

http://www.sitchin.com/

Tape Reader

If there's other intelligent life out there, we're either too dumb to find it, or "they" are too dumb to find us after all these alleged billions of years. And that would bring the intelligence of someone into question. :D

Of course, the other scenario could be that we humans were dumped here on this planet by our parents ages upon ages ago because our motherland planet became environmentally unfit to inhabit and, therefore, we are the aliens on the way to screwing up this planet, too. :lol:

Talk about not being able to find things right under our noses.... :lol: :lol:

Boxcar

elysiantraveller
08-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Every study of every "barren" ecosystem has always produced quite the opposites results... Typically when man says "there is absolutely no way anything could live there" we find after further study that its teeming with life. The universe should be no exception.

Tom
08-30-2011, 09:58 PM
They used to say that about Jersey! :eek:

Marshall Bennett
08-30-2011, 10:01 PM
There's no doubt in my mind that the universe is "teeming" with life. I simply believe either the inability to connect them or the unwillingness or need for civilizations far more advanced than ours to visit Earth. Would almost be like one flying 8000 miles to visit an ant colony.

boxcar
08-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Every study of every "barren" ecosystem has always produced quite the opposites results... Typically when man says "there is absolutely no way anything could live there" we find after further study that its teeming with life. The universe should be no exception.

As of 25 days ago, it wasn't looking so good for SETI believers. Planet Earth probably occupies a singularly unique position in the universe.

New Study Says No Aliens: SETI May be Doomed to Fail, But People Keep Hopes Up

Humanity has come to terms with being alone in the wilderness of the universe with every single speculation on spotting intelligent extra terrestrial life yielding no result. Aliens thus exist only in our imagination fueled by colorful fictitious characters.

Term 'extra-terrestrial life' refers to a hypothetical range of life starting from simple bacteria-like organisms to sapient beings which are far more advanced than humans. According to scientific research, celestial bodies with potential capacity to sustain life include Mars, Venus, Jupiter, Moons of Jupiter - Ganymede, Callisto, and Europa, and Moons of Saturn-Titan, and Enceladus.

The failure of the SETI program (Search for extraterrestrial intelligence- collective name for a number of activities people undertake to search for intelligent extraterrestrial life) to announce an alien radio signal from outer space has partially dimmed hopes of humans' encounter with life forms outside earth.

More at:

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/192838/20110805/alien-life-rare-universe-extraterrestrials-seti-drake-equation-research-matter-anti-matter-telepathy.htm

Boxcar

elysiantraveller
08-30-2011, 11:17 PM
As of 25 days ago, it wasn't looking so good for SETI believers. Planet Earth probably occupies a singularly unique position in the universe.

Thats quite a statement to derive from what the article actually says.

boxcar
08-30-2011, 11:32 PM
Thats quite a statement to derive from what the article actually says.

That wasn't my take on the overall content of the article. And did you catch the part about Drake's equation being "intensely speculative"? But regardless, irrational hope or faith isn't my bag. It works for many, but not for me. Show me the proof of ETs, then I'll believe.

Boxcar

OTM Al
08-30-2011, 11:58 PM
Nice.. I figured it was a 100-1 shot that someone would know it.. :ThmbUp: :) :ThmbUp:

Show had kinda jumped the shark by that point, but the characters were so much fun even the silly episodes were still very watchable.

redshift1
08-31-2011, 01:26 AM
Time travel prevents any communication at that distance as even with our technology it would take millions of years to reach us. Of course if you're one of those that believe in the impossible, I suppose anything is possible. I simply don't buy into it.

Incorrect:

Electromagnetic radiation travels at the speed of light, nearest extrasolar star is Proxima Centauri 4.2 light years. 8.4 years for one communication cycle.

Estimates of spectral type G type stars within 100 light years = 500. Remember G stars are stars like our own and could supply the energy necessary to sustain life on planets within their habitable zone. Communication cycle for the above is from 8.4 to 200 years.

Using current propulsion technology, travel time to PC would be 70-85 thousand years.

Did you forget about SETI?

Marshall Bennett
08-31-2011, 06:48 AM
Incorrect

Using current propulsion technology, travel time to PC would be 70-85 thousand years.

I suppose I should have been more specific in my calculations. I didn't think it mattered, although chances are that any advanced forms of life are likely millions, not 10's of thousands years of travel. True, PC and scores of others are within reach in less than a million years, but does it really matter. Our civilization imo is unique and not commonplace. Carl Sagan narrowed down the chances of life evolving to our stage and it was quite interesting how rare we might actually be even in the entire universe. We're definately not alone, but chances are you have to look much much further than just down the driveway.