PDA

View Full Version : Speed of speed?

andicap
10-04-2001, 01:37 PM
Comments?

http://216.122.239.149/tvg/newsletter/october/whats_hot.html?CO=tvg&CA=478&TI=479&LI=485&EM=nzjRcmimprxuuPzpiozn

GR1@HTR
10-04-2001, 02:39 PM
I agree.

Tom
10-04-2001, 05:50 PM
If one early runner gets free at the break, the other early horses then become early pressers, a style they don't like. The real early pressers should be ok, unless too many pure early take up those spots. Pressers might fiond themselves a little too far back to feel comfortable, and the closers don't have clue what happened up front anyways. This happens all the tie at Finger Lakes-two or three evenly matched early horses in a race, only one breaks and the race is over. More often than not, it is the early horse with the worst late pace but it wins anyways 'cause everything else in the race is racing out of position. This is good to know for the next race if there aren't so many early horse in the mix.
Tom

superfecta
10-04-2001, 10:12 PM
The article gives no specific guideline for a qualifying horse that has the speed of the speed .
Is it a horse with a 1/5 of a second advantage at the first call?Or at the second call?Or is it 2/5,3/5 etc.
I use the 4 furlong call,and look for a horse with a 3/5 second advantage over the other frontrunners.If there is not a horse with that much edge,and it looks like three or more horses will go for the lead,then I look for a presser or closer.Hopefully I can find a horse that can hang with a fast pace,but normally doesn't go for the lead.He can be a 5- 10 lengths behind the leaders but he also needs to have late speed ,or a "balanced" pace fig (early and late).Position plays a big part,not just his time at the fractional calls.
This is looking for the winner.But looking for 2nd and 3rd and 4th ,late speed is what I look at,the theory being once the winner has taken over the race,the contenders for win are not neccessarily the horses that will finish in the money. I hope that makes sense.

Tom
10-05-2001, 08:49 AM
I look at the very first call-the start call. By the time they run the first quarter, the race may already bo ovver. Some horse will show all 1's at the first call, but 3,2,1,1,5,4,3,3, at the start call. This is just a clue and I don't find a horse with a good advantage all the time,. but it is a good angle that sometimes can predict a "speed-pop."

Tom