PDA

View Full Version : Best big money driver?

Hanover1
08-28-2011, 12:18 PM
In the era of catch drivers, who is the guy you scan the program for, and consider first? Guys often switch mount, take off, stay loyal to certain stables/owners ect...,resulting in said switches. Who is the "man".
There is no wrong answer, and there are certainly different eras to consider as well. What say you?

sonnyp
08-28-2011, 01:08 PM
wow, this is wide open.

back in the day, dancer and haughton, but they had the stock. then there was herve and buddy, especially on the smaller tracks, but you never knew if they were trying. campbell and o'donell dominated but they worked well together and never did anything to hurt each other.

i don't know enough about the current bunch, but over the years, i'm shocked at the number of big money races pierce has jumped up to win. good guy, just not the sharpest knife in the drawer. he certainly wins his share.

baconswitchfarm
08-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Clearly Ron Pierce right now.

LottaKash
08-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Years ago, I woud've without blinking an eye, blurt out John Campbell....But, in recent times, with age, his scheduling and availability and loss of once powerful racing connections, that is not my answer now....

Sears, closely followed by Tetrick, and Pierce, would be my go to guys when the big-kash is on the line....Dave Miller, I can't leave him out either...yeesh ..

So many others to consider as well, yikes !....You could make a case for a bunch of em that have the talent but not the connections, as there is only so much top-stock to go around, and those 4-seem to get the first choices of them most times...

best,

LottaKash
08-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Clearly Ron Pierce right now.

BSF, if you recall, I started a thread a little bit ago, about RP, and what a banner season he is having this stakes year....He won a lottakash for his conncections so far...

best,

Hanover1
08-28-2011, 02:51 PM
I would have to call Pierce or Dave Miller these days. John Campbell or O'Donnell were first call for me in the 80's as I was not good enough or consistent on a regular basis, not to mention a headache most of the time. I liked Ronny Waples as well with a trotter. Buddy Gilmore or Johnny Chapman in the 70's. Delvin in the 60's, and dad in the 50's.

sonnyp
08-28-2011, 02:56 PM
not that you have to reveal your identity, but you mention "dad". how are we to know?

Augie16
08-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Trevor Ritchie if it is a trot.

Hanover1
08-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Trevor Ritchie if it is a trot.

Howard B or Johnny Patterson on the trot if Waples was not around.

mrroyboy
08-28-2011, 06:36 PM
I think alot depends on the location. Of course drivers do better on their home circuit. I think in NJ Sears is number 1 when the money is down followed closely by Tetrick. But Pierce is having a great year. Makes us old folks proud