PDA

View Full Version : So the CHRB wants HRTV to share oak tree meet with TVG...

toussaud
08-26-2011, 11:55 AM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/64724/hrtvs-limited-access-draws-board-action

which, i have no problem with per say, but where are is the CHRB the rest of the year.. I'm in the exact opposite boat, i don't get TVG at this very moment, why can't they convince someone to open up del mar and hollywood park to HRTV. i might be the happiest man on earth if that happened.

Also Stronach owns Santa Anita and he owns half of HRTV... why should he be forced to give up his competitive advantage? That makes no sense. I do not think it's fair, heck i don't even think it's technically legal, that HRTV should be forced to give up it's exclusivity, and TVG should not be.

Tom
08-26-2011, 12:19 PM
Oak Tree at Oaklawn.
Screw California and it's metal midgets.

toussaud
08-26-2011, 04:37 PM
seriously how is this possible. i'm not even talking about letting TVG show the track, but how can they make Frank give TVG exclusive rights to a track he owns to a network he doesn't want to give it to? i seriously do not get this.

mannyberrios
08-26-2011, 05:01 PM
I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but the other day, I saw a report on TVG, that they give alot of money to Califorina racing.

toussaud
08-26-2011, 05:04 PM
But stronach owns the track. I admit i like HRTV more than TVG but that is irreverent here. He owns the track, and owns his network or at least half of it, with CDI owning the other half. TVG does not share any content with them.

This is not an oak tree meet. what's to say January rolls around, and now the CHRB wants TVG to broadcast the entire winter meet at santa anita? right now the way it's setup it's no different than keeneland having a fall and spring meet. TVG gets both meets. And both of hollywood parks as well. But HRTV cannot get both of santa anita's meets.

it just doesn't make sense to me at least. I would be all for them saying screw exclusive riughts, let's give you both the same content and see who can put on a better show. But that's not what is going on. They are not letting stronach broadcast a track that he owns on a network that he owns.

Canarsie
08-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Maybe there is more to this than meets the eye.

They let TVG broadcast during Oak Tree and Frank keeps the dates for eternity screwing Oak Tree.

thespaah
08-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Screw this idiotic exclusivity nonsense. I'm pulling the trigger on RTN....Hope I can slip it by the wife......LOL!!!

Igeteven
08-26-2011, 10:55 PM
I would shut it down and tell them to go to HP for the meet.

Blank them.

affirmedny
08-26-2011, 11:17 PM
seriously how is this possible. i'm not even talking about letting TVG show the track, but how can they make Frank give TVG exclusive rights to a track he owns to a network he doesn't want to give it to? i seriously do not get this.

Where does it say "exclusive"? I got the impression they'll be shown on HRTV as well.

Stillriledup
08-27-2011, 12:03 AM
it would make a lot of sense for santa anita to show their races on tvg and not just the hrtv (racings version of witness protection) much more revenue if you show your races on as many tv networks as possible.

toussaud
08-27-2011, 12:06 AM
it would make a lot of sense for santa anita to show their races on tvg and not just the hrtv (racings version of witness protection) much more revenue if you show your races on as many tv networks as possible.
then TVG neds to let HRTV show del mar and hollywood park.The networks are only as important as their content and you are making frank give up his jewel, with nothing in return. it's his track and his network.

And if you want to watch HRTV you can they stream online so i don't want to hear it. as a matter of fact i had HRTV in my last apartment and i have not had had TVG since 2005,i can't get it anywhere i move to.

duncan04
08-27-2011, 01:23 AM
then TVG neds to let HRTV show del mar and hollywood park.The networks are only as important as their content and you are making frank give up his jewel, with nothing in return. it's his track and his network.

And if you want to watch HRTV you can they stream online so i don't want to hear it. as a matter of fact i had HRTV in my last apartment and i have not had had TVG since 2005,i can't get it anywhere i move to.

The Del Mar and Hollywood cards go too late for HRTV to show. Of course Im saying this in jest because it seems that they don't live racing past 7pm.

Canarsie
08-27-2011, 07:04 AM

I think $99 a year is a little too much for the content they want to charge you for. Most people would still use their ADW the bandwidth used doesn't justify the cost. Plus HRTV has to pay cable providers to air their channel you would think they would make it more consumer friendly.

When I play Keeneland I use their high def video stream why should I use an inferior product? I know as of last year its a TVG exclusive just an example. A bunch of tracks have video feeds they are shooting themselves in the foot.

toussaud
08-27-2011, 10:38 AM
The Del Mar and Hollywood cards go too late for HRTV to show. Of course Im saying this in jest because it seems that they don't live racing past 7pm.
it's the chicken and the egg. they don't show live racing past 7pm becuase all of their major tracks are done by then, and anyone watching mountineer, charles town or Evangeline downs at 8pm most likely is going to be watching TVG anyway

but when they have racing that is worth a damn they are always there. They cover the downs after dark, they cover fair grounds when they run late, they even cover charles town when they have their 2 big days as well as

hell wednesday the on air crew shut it down right after saratoga, about 4:30ish CST. there is nothing else to show.

If they showed a big meet that happened to run later in the afternoon they would not have a problem doing so

toussaud
08-27-2011, 10:39 AM
I think $99 a year is a little too much for the content they want to charge you for. Most people would still use their ADW the bandwidth used doesn't justify the cost. Plus HRTV has to pay cable providers to air their channel you would think they would make it more consumer friendly.

When I play Keeneland I use their high def video stream why should I use an inferior product? I know as of last year its a TVG exclusive just an example. A bunch of tracks have video feeds they are shooting themselves in the foot.
well different strokes. the "it's not available" and the "it's not worth the money" arguments are not one in the same. If you want to make that you are more than inclined to do so, but don't say you CAN'T watch it, you chose not to.

And even so all of this is a circle jerk of the original point i am trying to make/figure out. how can you make HRTV come off of Santa anita exclusivity, when TVG gets to keep theirs? I seriously do not think that is legal.

Canarsie
08-27-2011, 11:11 AM
well different strokes. the "it's not available" and the "it's not worth the money" arguments are not one in the same. If you want to make that you are more than inclined to do so, but don't say you CAN'T watch it, you chose not to.

And even so all of this is a circle jerk of the original point i am trying to make/figure out. how can you make HRTV come off of Santa anita exclusivity, when TVG gets to keep theirs? I seriously do not think that is legal.

Legal has nothing to do with imo. They have the meet for one year and one year only. If they decided to fight it an injunction would probably be easy to get on a legal basis.

Having said that if they did Oak Tree would be running at Delmar or Hollywood next year with a probability rate of 99%+. Don't think that's their game plan.

I don't know when TVG's deal with Keeneland expires but that could be the solution if its still in effect for the fall meet. Both get something they didn't have before.

toussaud
08-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Legal has nothing to do with imo. They have the meet for one year and one year only. If they decided to fight it an injunction would probably be easy to get on a legal basis.

Having said that if they did Oak Tree would be running at Delmar or Hollywood next year with a probability rate of 99%+. Don't think that's their game plan.

I don't know when TVG's deal with Keeneland expires but that could be the solution if its still in effect for the fall meet. Both get something they didn't have before.
in reality that would be the perfect end game. We will give you a track you can give us a track, even if it's just one track.

And you bring up a good point that i had not considered. say they do fight this, then they will just say "okay, we just won't be coming to your track anymore, we will go to Hollywood park"

that will last only so long as Hollywood park is open (which i think is alot longer than people believe, personally don't think it's going anywhere but for arguments sake), and i don't think del mar is a real viable option for obvious reasons. At the end of the day oak tree needs santa anita. it can flirt with the other girls in the class, but at the end of the year it's taking santa anita to the prom. Del mar is too far away and too seasonal and Hollywood is too unstable.

jimmy m
08-27-2011, 12:12 PM
I like both channels equally.Im gonna stay away form the host debate.My problem with HRTV is the Picture quality recaps and Commercials.It seems like sometracks there underwater on a picture perfect day then the stinking commercials i know you need em but every 5 minutes it seems then a stakes recap in the middle of the day while a track is going on plus nothing at night.

toussaud
09-22-2011, 04:25 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/65144/chrb-approves-santa-anita-plan-for-tv-network

Interesting about the iphone/ipad thing.. they are basically going to have to revamp their entire site in a different programming lanaguge, right now it's in flash.

i tried one day to access HRTVlive through my playstation 3, no mas.

thespaah
09-22-2011, 09:47 PM
I like both channels equally.Im gonna stay away form the host debate.My problem with HRTV is the Picture quality recaps and Commercials.It seems like sometracks there underwater on a picture perfect day then the stinking commercials i know you need em but every 5 minutes it seems then a stakes recap in the middle of the day while a track is going on plus nothing at night.
I believe HRTV picks up track feeds and rebroadcasts them from their control center, then sends them back up into space via their uplink. How they get those feeds can be of different methods. For example. HRTV could be picking up those feeds via satellite downlink. Then sending up to space to be beaned back to Earth. Or they may be receiving feeds viz fiber optic landline. Then uplink them via satellite. One type will have better video quality than the other...In some cases.
Their equipment may be of lower quality. Who knows.
I have noticed the same issue.
However, I watch HRTV more because they use track graphics. TVG in some tracks uses their own graphics which quite frankly suck sideways.

rwwupl
09-22-2011, 10:21 PM
This news release was 9-22-11

http://www.chrb.ca.gov/press_releases/2011_09_22_press_release.pdf

Excerpt:

CHRB APPROVES SANTA ANITA FALL MEET, SIGNAL DISTRIBUTION

SACRAMENTO, CA – The California Horse Racing Board notified the Stronach Group on Wednesday that its plan to offer free and total Internet access to HRTV programming during the upcoming fall meet at Santa Anita Park and to heavily promote this expanded distribution of the live signal is acceptable to the Board and the fall meet can open as scheduled September 30.
The free Internet streaming will be available to anyone with Internet connectivity regardless of device. It will be available on both Mac and PC computers. It will also be available to users of all mobile mainstream mobile devices, including iPhones and iPads, according to the distribution plan provided to the CHRB. The Stronach Group detailed a marketing campaign to promote the free steam that will include print advertisements in the Los Angeles Times and extensive use of social media, such as Facebook and Twitter.

GatetoWire
09-22-2011, 10:59 PM
When does this free streaming of HRTV and iPad access begin?

toussaud
09-23-2011, 01:04 AM
i just thought about something

they are talking about the track distribution and now they can't see it, IT'S ALREADY FREE!

calracing has allowed any and everyone to watch any race in California for free as long a you have an account. Why the need to have expanded coverage? This is quite silly. How are you going to know to watch HRTV on your ipad or iphone? And if you are smart enough/in tune enough to know about that, i'm quite sure you already figured out that you can go to calracing.com and take 2 minutes to register and watch racing free in California forever.

This doesn't make, the least bit of sense now that i think about it. Okay, so you are going to run promotions, ON YOUR NETWORK PROMOTING to watch something online that you are already watching and paying for on your TV and this is supposed to be expanded coverage.

This is so stupid. The main target audience are horse players, who don't have HRTV. which means most likely they TVG, and if they have TVG they most likely have a TVG wagering account in which they get the track feed anyway. Even if they don't, how many actual horse players don't already know that you can watch the racing for free already?

If this is the CHRBs plan to increase revenue god have mercy.

The only good news out of this is that possibly when I move into my new loft, i can get direct TV instead of dish because now i can stream HRTV from my playstation 3 and not have to get the actual channel from dish

toetoe
09-23-2011, 01:34 AM
I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but the other day, I saw a report on TVG, that they give alot of money to Califorina racing.

This is a bad joke. They claim to be philanthropists [I love the pie graphs :lol: ] for taking wagers, the normal cut of said wagers going to the state, et cetera. Without TVG, millions of wagers would still manage to find other outlets.

Valuist
09-23-2011, 10:16 AM
Does anyone outside that state pay any attention at all to California racing?