PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Irene

cj's dad
08-26-2011, 10:18 AM
This is huge. 400 miles wide. Heading inland and reportedly will effect 50 million people.

Sustained winds of 40+mph for 21 consecutive hours predicted for Ocean City Md. which has been evacuated.

Storm predicted to hit downtown Manhattan as a cat 2.

This could be a devastating event.

link:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2028553/Hurricane-Irene-path-2011-Thousands-flee-nightmare-scenario-predicted-Eastern-seaboard.html

ArlJim78
08-26-2011, 10:41 AM
George Bush says he's already set to accept full responsibilty.

rastajenk
08-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Obama's Katrina moment. Big Media types are going to get an up-close-and-personal look at how it gets handled, as they will be directly affected for once.

Marshall Bennett
08-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Hopefully people have learned and will take this seriously. I'm curious as to how you possibly evacuate 50 million people? I'm afraid most will stand in the face of it perhaps without choice. My prayers are with all affected. I've been through several and they're ugly.
As for Katrina, they were warned and most chose to ignore. Blame Bush as they may, ignorance takes center stage.

FantasticDan
08-26-2011, 10:54 AM
link:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2028553/Hurricane-Irene-path-2011-Thousands-flee-nightmare-scenario-predicted-Eastern-seaboard.htmlGee, and I thought I was the only one that turned to UK tabloids for conjecture on US weather events :lol:

rastajenk
08-26-2011, 10:56 AM
He's off to a great start. (http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1361467)

Maybe clean-up will be the main focus of his big jobs strategy announcement.

cj's dad
08-26-2011, 11:09 AM
6To86_plhWw

FantasticDan
08-26-2011, 11:14 AM
And right on PA schedule, a thread about an upcoming weather event has turned into Obama-bashing. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :sleeping:

http://www.myspace.com/officialbrianwilson/music/songs/goodnight-irene-28601952

rastajenk
08-26-2011, 11:18 AM
I figured that's why it was begun in the first place. :ThmbUp: :D

ArlJim78
08-26-2011, 11:21 AM
oh come on man, don't act like Obama isn't going to thrust himself into the middle of this. every crisis is an opportunity to address the nation and blather on about himself.

Tom
08-26-2011, 11:32 AM
oh come on man, don't act like Obama isn't going to thrust himself into the middle of this. every crisis is an opportunity to address the nation and blather on about himself.

Remember the Obama people saying to never let a good disaster go to waste? How much will they use the coming Irene-related emergency spending to hide funding for unrelated social programs that they can’t get through Congress normally? Sort of like Congressional looting?

ArlJim78
08-26-2011, 12:03 PM
it's a lock that they will use this both to blame for upcoming bad GDP and jobs numbers, and as a reason to call for more stimulus and spending.

Steve 'StatMan'
08-26-2011, 12:07 PM
And right on PA schedule, a thread about an upcoming weather event has turned into Obama-bashing. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :sleeping:

I don't think you were here back in 2005, when the famous left posters at the time (past & present) blamed George W. Bush for the global warming and actually causing the major huricanes that year (Katrina, Rita, & others)

boxcar
08-26-2011, 12:29 PM

Why not? This storm is going to be greatly politicized before it's over. Word has it that the Greenies are out in force praying to Baal for a Cat 5 storm. They want the storm to wreak as much havoc and destruction as possible so that they can get up on their global warming soap box to preach the environmental gospel.

Meanwhile, other libs are wringing their hands and sweating drops of blood over what a devastating storm would do to the national economy. I don't get it. I thought Negative things were good for the economy? If something like food stamps and unemployment checks stimulate the economy, how much more a storm that wreaks gazillions in damage. Unemployment overnight would drop to 2%. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

Marshall Bennett
08-26-2011, 12:30 PM
I don't think you were here back in 2005, when the famous left posters at the time (past & present) blamed George W. Bush for the global warming and actually causing the major huricanes that year (Katrina, Rita, & others)
Ironically it was in fact the local government, the larger players being democrats, that dropped the ball on it's own people with Katrina. A lunatic mayor that was ill-prepared, and one governor that couldn't even be located for several days in the aftermath. When Bush made his first tour of the devastation, she wasn't even aware he was coming till he was already there. Funny how the media and libs chose Bush as the scapegoat.

Tom
08-26-2011, 12:32 PM

Or as I like to call it, "OUR TURN!" :D

Just do some searches and you will find I have invented nothing in OBama bashing - I just recycle the old stuff.

ArlJim78
08-26-2011, 12:35 PM

yes Bush has quite the resume. He sabotaged the levees and then caused hurricanes to hit New Orleans because he's racist, he manipulated oil prices to fatten the wallets of his oil buddies, and of course he was the mastermind behind 9/11 so that he could go to war to satisfy the neocons and Dick Cheney.

i guess now he's getting his revenge on Washington by sending Irene up that way.

canleakid
08-26-2011, 01:05 PM
:sleeping: George Bush says he's already set to accept full responsibilty.

And yes I have to use it :eek:

"Brownie, you're doing a heckuva job" :lol:

I know it is old, but it still is "GOLD" ;)

hcap
08-26-2011, 01:07 PM
I thought Negative things were good for the economy? If something like food stamps and unemployment checks stimulate the economy, how much more a storm that wreaks gazillions in damage. Unemployment overnight would drop to 2%.
So when you worked as a salesman and brought your amazing capitalistic skill set to the table, you just forgot simple arithmetic?

Let's do some

1-Damage, 100's of billions. Lives lost and many injured.

2-Stimulus from food stamps and unemployment benefits 10's of millions x approx standard multiplier 1.7

Suggestion, think big box. Problem is solved by nuking the east cost. Tom?

boxcar
08-26-2011, 06:28 PM
So when you worked as a salesman and brought your amazing capitalistic skill set to the table, you just forgot simple arithmetic?

Let's do some

1-Damage, 100's of billions. Lives lost and many injured.

2-Stimulus from food stamps and unemployment benefits 10's of millions x approx standard multiplier 1.7

Suggestion, think big box. Problem is solved by nuking the east cost. Tom?

Yup, one man's pain is another's gain. For example, roofers do very well after hurricanes. So, the more devastating the storm, the more widespread it is, the more plusses to it. More than roofers would profit. According to brainiacs lke Pelosi and others of her ilk, we should all be prayin' for the mother of all storms to slam the entire East Coast in order to stimulate this economy.

Boxcar

hcap
08-26-2011, 08:12 PM
According to brainiacs lke Pelosi and others of her ilk, we should all be prayin' for the mother of all storms to slam the entire East Coast in order to stimulate this economy.

What about deaths and injuries? How do folks of your ILK suggest widespread catastrophe and giggle snidely as though anyone of any ILK wishes that on any persons of any other ILK?

Pray tell your ilkness

bigmack
08-26-2011, 08:20 PM
What about deaths and injuries? How do folks of your ILK suggest widespread catastrophe and giggle snidely as though anyone of any ILK wishes that on any persons of any other ILK?

Pray tell your ilkness
55 Acts of Violence by the Left Against Military ALONE: Bombings, Vandalism 2003 to 2008

http://www.varight.com/news/55-acts-of-violence-by-the-left-against-military-alone-bombings-vandalism-2003-to-2008/

JustRalph
08-26-2011, 09:10 PM
Msnbc is using Ray Nagin as a consultant/commentator on how to prepare for Irene :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike at A+
08-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Msnbc is using Ray Nagin as a consultant/commentator on how to prepare for Irene :lol: :lol: :lol:
Irene checklist: Beer, check. Wine, check. Jack Daniels, check. Don Julio, check. Coffee, check. Charcoal, check. Steaks, check. I'm good!

boxcar
08-26-2011, 10:07 PM

Pray tell your ilkness

Your Ilkness, people of my ilk do not wish harm on anyone, unlike people of your ilk --and this has been shown on this forum a few times in the past.

Frankly, I'm thinking one of the big reasons why a Cat 2 hurricane has become a national news event is because the media is hoping and praying for a storm disaster so that they can blame it all on "global warming".

Obama, too, is probably looking for additional help from "mother nature" so that he can add, yet, another lame excuse to his ever-growing blame list. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

DRIVEWAY
08-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Hurricane IRENE has nothing to do with global warming. The press is covering this storm because it's a multi-decade or millenium occurance.

There are over 60 million Americans that will be affected by this storm. The eastern coastal areas and major cities are all in harms way. Wall Street and the NYC subway system maybe flooded. Half of the NJ Parkway is being shutdown. States of Emergency have been issued for at least 7 states.

Let's hope for the best.

boxcar
08-26-2011, 11:54 PM
Hurricane IRENE has nothing to do with global warming. The press is covering this storm because it's a multi-decade or millenium occurance.

There are over 60 million Americans that will be affected by this storm. The eastern coastal areas and major cities are all in harms way. Wall Street and the NYC subway system maybe flooded. Half of the NJ Parkway is being shutdown. States of Emergency have been issued for at least 7 states.

Let's hope for the best.

NOAA at some point, had predicted a CAT 4 storm as it approached warmer waters, heading north of Florida. I guarantee you that if the storm lives up to that potential, which isn't very likely, global warming would have shared the headlines as the culprit causing the storm. (Don't forget: "global warming" caused the earthquake in Japan, according to some people!

Your point, however, is well made about how northerners (especially in the northeast) might suffer more damage than let's say folks along the Gulf states or in Florida, and I think that would occur largely to unpreparedness. I've lived in Florida since '72 and have seen my fair share of 'canes, so a Cat 2 storm (even if it had come ashore) would have been no biggie to me -- and probably not to most Floridians. In fact, a hurricane isn't considered a "major " storm until it becomes stronger than a Cat 2.

Boxcar

Marshall Bennett
08-27-2011, 05:53 AM
Frankly, I'm thinking one of the big reasons why a Cat 2 hurricane has become a national news event is because the media is hoping and praying for a storm disaster so that they can blame it all on "global warming".

Obama, too, is probably looking for additional help from "mother nature" so that he can add, yet, another lame excuse to his ever-growing blame list. :rolleyes:

Boxcar
I'm not sure even lowlife liberals would sink so low as to hope & pray for a natural disaster. I suppose there could be a few. Somewhere there's probably a lowlife conservative doing the same for whatever twisted reason.
As for Obama, he doesn't need a disaster on his list. The list is already full with disasters he's created on his own.

Robert Goren
08-27-2011, 09:44 AM
No one was knocking GWB handling of Katrina until after the hurricane was over for several days. The GOP naysayers here were knocking Obama long before it hit. You should at least wait until it is over before you go after Obama's handling of it. I guess it too much to ask of conservatives to wait for the facts to come in like liberals do. One thing for sure, he could not do any worse than GWB did with Katrina. I will say this in defense of GWB, not all of the mishandling was his fault. The locals there screwed up big time too, but Federal response was out of a keystone cops short. GWB had too many political appointees who could not do their jobs. It was not a matter of policy, it was just plain incompetence. I don't have problem with political appointees if they are competent. I guess will soon know if Obama is any better appointing competent people than GWB. But it will take a week or so to know. Until then it will just be a bunch of people running their mouths to run their mouths.

CryingForTheHorses
08-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Living here in south florida all I can say is please heed the warnings,I used to think a hurricane was nothing until I went thu Wilma 5 years ago.I watched giant oak trees ripped out of the ground like they were weeds,I saw the devastation that these storms bring. I saw all the roofs ripped off of houses everywhere.Its nothing to joke about!!! You guys can bash Obama all you want but get serious and get as far away as you can.This isnt some little rain storm......

rastajenk
08-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Have to disagree with some of that (referring, of course, to Mr. Goren, above); or, at least, that's not the way I remember Katrina. I don't think the levees had even failed yet but we were hearing about reduced funding for Army Corps of Engineers and the inevitable weakening causing a sure breach; and almost immediately the conspiracists accused Bush of doing nothing on purpose, for purely political reasons. I don't recall any kind of grace period that Bush had during Katrina.

Robert Goren
08-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Next question. What are they doing with the horses stabled in the path? It seems like it would to large a task to move them all. After all, we are talking about several thousand horses.

Robert Goren
08-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Have to disagree with some of that (referring, of course, to Mr. Goren, above); or, at least, that's not the way I remember Katrina. I don't think the levees had even failed yet but we were hearing about reduced funding for Army Corps of Engineers and the inevitable weakening causing a sure breach; and almost immediately the conspiracists accused Bush of doing nothing on purpose, for purely political reasons. I don't recall any kind of grace period that Bush had during Katrina. Maybe you could post some of those pre Katrina quotes bashing GWB. I do know that occasionally a story would appear here and there about how weak the levees were, but some them pre dated GWB even being in office. I actually thought the federal response was pretty good at the time until about day 3 when it became apparent that things were a lot worse the Feds were letting on and that FEMA management was in way over their heads.
That maybe the case again, but we won't know for a few days. Anything comments now are purely speculation.

Mike at A+
08-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Maybe you could post some of those pre Katrina quotes bashing GWB. I do know that occasionally a story would appear here and there about how weak the levees were, but some them pre dated GWB even being in office. I actually thought the federal response was pretty good at the time until about day 3 when it became apparent that things were a lot worse the Feds were letting on and that FEMA management was in way over their heads.
That maybe the case again, but we won't know for a few days. Anything comments now are purely speculation.
Simply Google "dynamite levees" and you'll find some real "out there" shit.

Tom
08-27-2011, 11:24 AM
NYC closing public transportation at noon.

IRISHLADSTABLE
08-27-2011, 11:43 AM
http://www.optimum.net/News/AP/Article?fmId=53530739

Tom
08-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Reminds me of Hazel in '54~!

Now that was a hurricane! :D

boxcar
08-27-2011, 12:17 PM
I'm not sure even lowlife liberals would sink so low as to hope & pray for a natural disaster. I suppose there could be a few. Somewhere there's probably a lowlife conservative doing the same for whatever twisted reason.
As for Obama, he doesn't need a disaster on his list. The list is already full with disasters he's created on his own.

Two or three years ago on this forum, someone posted a story about a professor (I think it was) who actually lamented the fact that that particular year didn't yield any devastating hurricanes. Of course, like most libs, his intentions were "good" :rolleyes: . He expressed his sadness because he thought a big storm or two would teach global warming skeptics a lesson about global warming. So, yeah...they are out there. Libs, generally, are opportunists and would welcome any crisis or disaster opportunity to further their agenda. Many are that morally bankrupt.

Boxcar

boxcar
08-27-2011, 12:34 PM

Obama needs all the help he can get, so he would probably welcome a disaster.

Liberals would welcome it to teach blasphemous skeptics a lesson. There's probably no greater sin today a person could commit than to renounce man-made global warming. Greenies consider such people as damnable heretics. :D

Boxcar

Greyfox
08-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Obama needs all the help he can get, so he would probably welcome a disaster.

Boxcar

Is God answering Obama's prayers Boxcar and ignoring mine?

JimG
08-27-2011, 12:54 PM
I'll tell you guys this is one nasty storm. I live in the Tidewater area and cannot believe I still have power. Tons of rain. If you have a leak it will find it.

Good luck to those further north. It is coming. We should be about done with it by 9pm or so tonight.

You may now continue discussing politics. I apologize in advance for posting something on topic in off topic. :)

Jim

rastajenk
08-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Two or three years ago on this forum, someone posted a story about a professor (I think it was) who actually lamented the fact that that particular year didn't yield any devastating hurricanes. Of course, like most libs, his intentions were "good" :rolleyes: . He expressed his sadness because he thought a big storm or two would teach global warming skeptics a lesson about global warming. So, yeah...they are out there. Libs, generally, are opportunists and would welcome any crisis or disaster opportunity to further their agenda. Many are that morally bankrupt.
BoxcarYou might be thinking of James Wolcott (http://www.undefined.com/ia/archives/2005/08/james_wolcott.html).
I root for hurricanes. When, courtesy of the Weather Channel, I see one forming in the ocean off the coast of Africa, I find myself longing for it to become big and strong--Mother Nature's fist of fury, Gaia's stern rebuke. Considering the havoc mankind has wreaked upon nature with deforesting, stripmining, and the destruction of animal habitat, it only seems fair that nature get some of its own back and teach us that there are forces greater than our own.

boxcar
08-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Is God answering Obama's prayers Boxcar and ignoring mine?

I can't presume to speak for you; however, BO's well documented penchant for lying cannot be denied. And scripture tells me that God does not hear the prayers of sinners (Jn 9:31). So, you take it from there.

Boxcar

Zydeco
08-27-2011, 01:42 PM
It has started raining in Northern Virginia. A little breezy, not much wind yet. Sorry for posting on topic.

boxcar
08-27-2011, 01:43 PM
You might be thinking of James Wolcott (http://www.undefined.com/ia/archives/2005/08/james_wolcott.html).

Ahh...you're good, Mr. Rastajenk! Thank you.

And my memory isn't as good as it is used to be. He did more than lament, he actually was wishing for disasters. That is one sick puppy!

Boxcar

boxcar
08-27-2011, 01:50 PM
I'll tell you guys this is one nasty storm. I live in the Tidewater area and cannot believe I still have power. Tons of rain. If you have a leak it will find it.

Good luck to those further north. It is coming. We should be about done with it by 9pm or so tonight.

You may now continue discussing politics. I apologize in advance for posting something on topic in off topic. :)

Jim

Where is Tidewater located, Jim? The storm is now a Cat 1 and if it's really wet, this means, it's moving slowly. And from the satellite images, the storm's center is all but gone. As it hits more land mass, it will further weaken to a tropical storm, which can still dump a lot of rain.

Boxcar

JimG
08-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Where is Tidewater located, Jim? The storm is now a Cat 1 and if it's really wet, this means, it's moving slowly. And from the satellite images, the storm's center is all but gone. As it hits more land mass, it will further weaken to a tropical storm, which can still dump a lot of rain.

Boxcar

Norfolk VA and the surrounding cities.

Jim

lamboguy
08-27-2011, 02:14 PM
its 2:12 and we just got our first drop of rain from this huricaine in boston. i am 3 miles inland, but the back bay of boston was built on top of the water so actually i am not that far from the water.

cj's dad
08-27-2011, 03:55 PM
Began raing here at 11 AM. So far, much ado about nothing.

lamboguy
08-27-2011, 03:59 PM
its 3:51 and in boston we just got a ton of rain come down, maybe about 3 inches in 10 minutes. i got a few leaks on my roof so far.

CryingForTheHorses
08-27-2011, 04:27 PM

If the people in the state didnt warn you and something happened,You would be crying because they didnt tell you...Better to be safe then sorry..Im sure you have never experenced a hurricane!!

highnote
08-27-2011, 06:04 PM
oh come on man, don't act like Obama isn't going to thrust himself into the middle of this.

Just like Bush thrusting himself right into Katrina. :D Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Canarsie
08-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Its 6 PM here on the NJ bayshore just a little rain and no wind so far.

We are under mandatory evacuation so that means my wife went to stay at her cousins house and I have a blind date with a gal named Irene. :jump:

Gloria in 85 was far worse even though I live 1/8 mile from the water its on a cliff so it never floods. Back then it was a full moon, high ride, and a Cat 3 if I remember correctly. The water came halfway up the beach. Being a fisherman I have good foul weather gear and went down there twice to do an inspection.

The crazy thing about Gloria was it ended and within a half hour it was sunny and bright outside.

highnote
08-27-2011, 06:20 PM
It rained ton about 11 AM here in Southwestern Connecticut and then stopped. Unfortunately, it rained so much they canceled my son's football jamboree about 1/2 way through and my older son's evening game was canceled. Bummer.

Looks like it's not going to be too bad here. A lot more rain to come overnight and probably some strong wind. But nothing like a Cat5 -- probably just a tropical storm. We have a couple trees I'm worried about so we may sleep somewhere in the house tonight away from the trees... just in case!

The town dump had a giant pile of sand and bags available for anyone who wanted to make their own sandbags. All over town you can see sandbags piled up on people's driveways.

It's been cloudy all day. During the morning football game a weird fog rolled in before the torrential rain started pouring down like a monsoon. Very eerie. You could tell some nasty weather was on it's way. Very abnormal.

We're well stocked and ready to ride out the storm.

JustRalph
08-27-2011, 06:26 PM

Jim

My powers out near Baltimore.......but I still have Internet via ups backup. The iPad is at 77% this going to be a long night. Might have To break down and watch Netflix via cell phone......if only my forefathers could see me now!

My utility room is flooded too....joy joy!

highnote
08-27-2011, 06:33 PM
My powers out near Baltimore.......but I still have Internet via ups backup. The iPad is at 77% this going to be a long night. Might have To break down and watch Netflix via cell phone......if only my forefathers could see me now!

Good luck, Ralph! Hope you get your power back soon!!

At least you've still got PA to read!

BillW
08-27-2011, 06:44 PM

What caused the flood?

JustRalph
08-27-2011, 07:08 PM
What caused the flood?

After a good thirty second appraisal I would have to go with a clogged drain line on the condensation line in the area of the built in humidifier. Hoping water isn't getting in somewhere else......

I will wet vac it out later....when the power comes back.....and get a better look. So far a half inch or less of water.....but slowly climbing.....

Now on Evo powered Internet via sprint 3G. The ups didn't last long :bang:

Hanover1
08-27-2011, 07:11 PM
What caused the flood?

Really?

ArlJim78
08-27-2011, 08:16 PM
,,everyone stay calm, dear leader has taken charge of the hurricane command center.

status of crisis---Not wasted
Obama takes charge at hurricane command center (http://news.yahoo.com/obama-takes-charge-hurricane-command-center-172139005.html)

http://weaselzippers.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/hurricaneo-550x307.jpg

wisconsin
08-27-2011, 09:14 PM
,,everyone stay calm, dear leader has taken charge of the hurricane command center.

status of crisis---Not wasted
Obama takes charge at hurricane command center (http://news.yahoo.com/obama-takes-charge-hurricane-command-center-172139005.html)

http://weaselzippers.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/hurricaneo-550x307.jpg

Good thing he has a name plate. I was not sure which one was him.

JustRalph
08-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Still no power

60knot winds off the water making the house sway in the wind. Lots of tree branches everywhere

Leaks in a few places around the big windows that face the water. Nothing real bad yet

Wife is reading the kindle by candle light. Trying to preserve my battery....signing off.....got to be up at 5 30 for work.

ManU918
08-28-2011, 12:11 AM
I'm sure the weather channel loved this:

http://youtu.be/pY4gJoKwtAQ

Tom
08-28-2011, 12:26 AM
Good thing he has a name plate. I was not sure which one was him.

He must be giving a speech - Craig is asleep. :D

Marshall Bennett
08-28-2011, 05:27 AM
I'm quite impressed how orderly things seem to be going in a city the size of New York. I have a feeling had this been Detroit or a few other choice locations it would be complete mayhem. Possibly riots.

rastajenk
08-28-2011, 06:46 AM
The breakdown of civil society is one aspect I've wondered about a lot as this thing runs its course, especially if power is out for an extended period in large areas.

Canarsie
08-28-2011, 07:51 AM
It's 7:40 AM on the Jersey shore still raining and windy around 30-40 MPH is a guesstimate. I never lost power though some here did.

Nobody can get in or out from here unless they have a truck (18 wheeler) because the surge doesn't affect the beach where I live but the streams and creeks overflow it's high tide right now.

But the worst thing I saw this morning was on the local news. A reporter was chastising a younger guy and asking what are you doing here? The guy said he is a diver and just checking out the area he could have asked the dumb ass reporter the same question. They are making it sound much worse than it really is.

Which bring me to a point I've always strongly believed in. Put 12 people on the air with experience on the high seas instead of having a communications degree. These people will be much more informative about what is happening at the moment. They can tell you exactly what to look for and do if a situation arises.

Same goes for horse racing even though lots disagree with me. Give me guys who play with their hard earned money like both Andy's, trainers, ex jockeys, NHRC champions and the like. Not like some of these bozos who don't even know what day of the DRF they are reading on air.

Marshall Bennett
08-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Seems the worst may have passed and all considered, the northeast probably dodged a bullet. Thank the Lord, it could have been so much worse.

castaway01
08-28-2011, 11:21 AM
I'm in southern NJ. We had a ton of rain last night and tornado warnings all over our area and I figured it would get worse last night when the storm passed, but thankfully we were okay. I was concerned about the large trees outside our window and we have friends with trees down, but we made it through. There are a lot of flooded roads and basements, but it could have been worse. I can't imagine what going through a storm with 100-MPH winds would be like.

CryingForTheHorses
08-28-2011, 06:30 PM
I'm in southern NJ. We had a ton of rain last night and tornado warnings all over our area and I figured it would get worse last night when the storm passed, but thankfully we were okay. I was concerned about the large trees outside our window and we have friends with trees down, but we made it through. There are a lot of flooded roads and basements, but it could have been worse. I can't imagine what going through a storm with 100-MPH winds would be like.

Ill tell you whats its like...You hear a loud howl seems like for hours..You hear stuff hitting your shutters and the door is foreever shaking like someone trying to get in,You hear the house groan as the winds slam into it..The wind will be at the door and all of a sudden it changes direction..Its one of the scarest things I have ever witnessed..Wilma tore most of the roofs off at Calder when it hit..Was really astonding to see the horse looking out of their stalls with no roof on the barns..I hope I never witness that again

mostpost
08-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Reminds me of Hazel in '54~!

Now that was a hurricane! :D
That was a summer shower compared to the Hurricane Hazle that struck Milwaukee in August of '57.

Tom
08-28-2011, 07:45 PM
I don't see a Hazel in 1957......

Tom
08-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Hey Tom, glad you're OK.
How are the horses - they must have been pretty high strung after that!

mostpost
08-28-2011, 07:50 PM
I don't see a Hazel in 1957......
Not Hazel.....Hazle.

JustRalph
08-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Still no power

Siding torn off, wet ceiling in one room. Beautiful night out though

This sucks.

Mike at A+
08-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Those evil insurance companies are on the hook for big bucks.

cj's dad
08-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Began raning here at 11 AM. So far, much ado about nothing.

Lots of rain and wind- much ado about nothing. A crisis that is media created (at least here); little else.

Tom
08-28-2011, 10:29 PM
Hurricane Hazle....the ball player.
I get it.

Marshall Bennett
08-29-2011, 05:40 AM
Was thinking Audrey was the real bitch in 1957.

Grits
08-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Lots of rain and wind- much ado about nothing. A crisis that is media created (at least here); little else.

This is great. Sharp thinking, Dennis. Glad you were spared all discomfort and inconvenience. Though this storm involved quite a few million other than you.

Much ado about nothing my butt. I'd love to see you try to get yourself out of the state of New York today--been looking at maps and on websites until 1 am this morning and back up at 5:30 am. checking updates, only to find more roads closed with the Mohawk and other rivers still rising, not yet crested.

The NY Thruway is closed in most areas, northbound and southbound. I-88 which leads south and west down to 81 which routes through PA, MD, western VA and on to 64 east, hitting 95 in VA, and home to NC is a mess with mass flooding around Schoharie and Middleburg, where a dam is in jeopardy. If its breached hundreds of homes will be flooded. Some homes have been destroyed by a mudslide nearby Troy.

Upstate NY, with record breaking rain on a historical scale, was a lot harder hit than NYC or Baltimore. Forget what occurred in NJ, VA, in Carolina where no one was hurt but there are thousands without power, and neighborhoods like my own look like a warzone with downed trees.

I can't leave here--I can't drive in any direction at all. This hotel is full and people who are being evacuated from their homes calling trying to get in instead of having to go to shelters.

To paraphrase what Dave told me during PA week, "Grits, your mouth gets you in trouble." That is true, I'm sure he's correct in his belief. Still, its a fact, this hurricane wasn't a media created event for Obama or any other politician. (The men of Pace Advantage, as usual, made the thread one though.

If anyone really believes this was a media or political event--I hate it for ya. Tell it to the folks having to flee their homes last night and this morning.

Most of this thread wasn't about a hurricane, its another beating by keyboard specialists. Some real pearls of wisdom here. What a crock of s***.

Recalling hurricanes as far back as the devastating, deadliest and most costly 1954 Hazel, and as recently as the 1999 catastrophic Floyd that both destroyed regions of my state, its hard to forget their magnitude or to take them lightly. Or worse, assume the media made them.

I'm sorry, Mike.

--Ralph, I'm sorry, I hope all can be fixed there at home without to much problem for you and Lorie.

--Dave, I'm sorry, my mouth got me in trouble again. But I really give a damn these days.

cj's dad
08-29-2011, 09:56 AM
You're getting yourself worked up over this ?

From post #77:

"Lots of rain and wind- much ado about nothing. A crisis that is media created (at least here); little else".

Here, meaning where I am, the hurricane turned out to be little more than high winds 40-50 mph and lots of rain. A few trees down and one death to an elderly person which was kind of freakish.

The media here had 24/7 coverage, scaring the sheet out of some for no good reason. We are too far inland to be hard hit and the media know that.

So yes, HERE it was little more than an inconvenience. Ask Just Ralph, he lives on the water and is farther south than I and I think he's still afloat.

There was no intention to trivialize what others may have went through.

Marshall Bennett
08-29-2011, 10:03 AM
I've been through 2 myself (Rita & Ike) since owning computers and though my insurance covered my losses it was a real pain in the ass. Didn't have power for at least 10 days in either, I live in a rural area north of Houston and the services were slow to return.
I was able to log in by other means and though many of the post contained humor it actually helped my spirits. Grits, you need to lighten up. Be thankful you're able to have a few moments to type ANYTHING, much less an exhausting post lashing out. If the postings here disturb you, find something else to do. I'm sure with all the problems you mentioned you shouldn't have trouble with that.
Be thankful the storm wasn't worse. Try smiling. If all else fails unplug your computer ffs.

melman
08-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Indeed Hazel was by far the worst I've ever seen in my area. Made Irene look like a summer storm. This is not a put down of those affected or hurt by Irene but Hazel was the real deal. A cat 4 storm.

Tom
08-29-2011, 11:58 AM
We hid in the basement for Hazel - I was only 4 at the time, but I remember it. Trees down everywhere, homes damages, flooding - smack dab in Shortsville, NY, which is pretty well inland.

DJofSD
08-29-2011, 04:06 PM
I haven't heard anything about FEMA and this disaster.

CryingForTheHorses
08-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Im wondering if anyone knows how Chester Virginia made out in this storm.We have a poster called Si2see aka Jason that lives there.He is also one of my owners and I havent been able to get a hold of him..He is a big guy and he needs to eat!!

wizard_of_odds
08-29-2011, 07:28 PM

From post #77:

"Lots of rain and wind- much ado about nothing. A crisis that is media created (at least here); little else".

Here, meaning where I am, the hurricane turned out to be little more than high winds 40-50 mph and lots of rain. A few trees down and one death to an elderly person which was kind of freakish.

The media here had 24/7 coverage, scaring the sheet out of some for no good reason. We are too far inland to be hard hit and the media know that.

So yes, HERE it was little more than an inconvenience. Ask Just Ralph, he lives on the water and is farther south than I and I think he's still afloat.

Maybe for the next hurricane we will tell the media to make sure they dont warn you.Scare the shit out of people is what you need to do to save lives or they would have the same attitude that you have.I have also noticed you always seem to have some smart remark for lots of posters on here.That wouldnt be because your son is a moderator ? Go ahead make some other smart comment about this post.Grits was right in blasting you.

Grits
08-29-2011, 07:30 PM
I've been through 2 myself (Rita & Ike) since owning computers and though my insurance covered my losses it was a real pain in the ass. Didn't have power for at least 10 days in either, I live in a rural area north of Houston and the services were slow to return.
I was able to log in by other means and though many of the post contained humor it actually helped my spirits. Grits, you need to lighten up. Be thankful you're able to have a few moments to type ANYTHING, much less an exhausting post lashing out. If the postings here disturb you, find something else to do. I'm sure with all the problems you mentioned you shouldn't have trouble with that.
Be thankful the storm wasn't worse. Try smiling. If all else fails unplug your computer ffs.

I've lightened up, Marshall Bennett. Thanks. And your post was the one to cause it. I'm, as they say in PC jargon, ROTFLMAO that a computer and the ability (or inability due to fire, flood, snow, etc) is this important to anyone. In a hurricane, you, having been removed from social networking on a website--such trauma--are able to tell me what to do with my time. God, how can anyone go anywhere but up?

I'll smile nonstop, I promise, if you continue hitting, submit reply.

Tom, Chester and Hopewell, Virginia are right at the banks of the James River. It has overflowed its banks in storms many times. I hope you hear from your friend soon and that he's in good shape. God forbid his IP server's down, or there's two feet of water covering his pc and he can't get out.

boxcar
08-29-2011, 07:55 PM
Maybe for the next hurricane we will tell the media to make sure they dont warn you.Scare the shit out of people is what you need to do to save lives or they would have the same attitude that you have.I have also noticed you always seem to have some smart remark for lots of posters on here.That wouldnt be because your son is a moderator ? Go ahead make some other smart comment about this post.Grits was right in blasting you.

Crying wolf will inevitably come back to bite you. If everything under the sun is an emergency, then this greatly discounts the real meaning of the term, doesn't it? Best policy is truthfulness in reporting.

Boxcar

Grits
08-29-2011, 07:56 PM
I haven't heard anything about FEMA and this disaster.

Though in SoCal and far away, possibly, this has to do with the East Coast--from North Carolina to Vermont and several miles inland, like here in upstate NY--cover quite a few counties that might fall under emergency disaster declaration, management, and execution.

Not deadly like Katrina, but sure involves more mileage.

Grits
08-29-2011, 08:11 PM
This from a Saratoga friend and lifelong resident who commutes to Albany each day for work, normally a 25 minute drive.

Two hours to make the commute from downtown Albany to Saratoga this evening.

Couldn't cross the Mohawk River, so had to head east of the Hudson River, head north one county to the east of Saratoga County, then head west to Saratoga Springs.

Worst flooding in decades. Still thousands and thousands without power. Some road sections totally wiped away. Some villages in Schoharie County and Greene County totally flooded. Windham, NY village virtualy destroyed. Schenectady downtown largely under water.

And while I am driving home I'm listening to the Idiot Hannity talk about how the media and government over-hyped the storm.

Mother Nature can still humble us anytime she wants. Like Marshall Bennett told me to be, I'm grateful.

Rookies
08-29-2011, 08:12 PM
Ahh...you're good, Mr. Rastajenk! Thank you.

And my memory isn't as good as it is used to be. He did more than lament, he actually was wishing for disasters. That is one sick puppy!

Boxcar

Yep. Just like your evangelical tag team lunatics (Robertson & Falwell) who wouldn't just look for a good natural disaster to proselytize, they laid a beating on those who perished in 9-11 by blaming all manner of political opponents for what transpired.

Crazy ? They were insane. disgusting and disgraceful. :ThmbDown:

I got married in August, 1972 & like McShell & Marshall Bennett, have learned the incredible power & force of water in nature. I watched Hurricane Agnes completely overpower the Susquehanna River banks in N.E. P.A., cutting through brick & concrete like butter. Every one of these natural monsters needs to be watched, tracked, prepared for anddealt with competently afterwards.

DJofSD
08-29-2011, 08:19 PM
Though in SoCal and far away, possibly, this has to do with the East Coast--from North Carolina to Vermont and several miles inland, like here in upstate NY--cover quite a few counties that might fall under emergency disaster declaration, management, and execution.

Not deadly like Katrina, but sure involves more mileage.
I'm not sure I get the point of your post.

In any event, I'll repeat my observation: mention of FEMA seems to be noticeably absent.

Tom
08-29-2011, 08:33 PM

Intelligent people only need be given the facts, not scare tactics.
By smart remarks, you mean like this post?

melman
08-29-2011, 08:41 PM
Grits--Again I am NOT trying to downplay the effects and destruction of Irene. However let's be real. Irene was nothing compared to Hazel. All you have to do is google Hurricane Hazel and you will see what I mean. From many countries below FLA to Toronto in Canada. The hype for this storm was unreal. Talk of the Jersey shore barrier islands being "wiped out". It turns out the people who evacuated those areas were worse off then what hapened in the barrier islands.

Grits
08-29-2011, 09:55 PM
Melman, Hazel was the East Coast's worst nightmare. She's not been repeated in my lifetime in Carolina. I lived through that nightmare, thank God. I was a baby, only 3; my brother and me were sitting in our parent's laps in the hallway in the middle of our house with mattresses pulled off the beds to put against the wall and on the floor--my mother horrified and my dad calming all of us. I don't recall other such destruction in the East, except for maybe, Andrew, years ago in Florida. That one was devastating, too.

We live in a different age now, 24-7 talking heads.

My only thought is, still, I'd rather be safe and alive than be sorry and mourning the loss of a family member or friend, one I love.

A little inconvenience means little to me. I want to get home, but it'll take time for the waters to recede. For these people with no place to go but shelters--its far worse. It bothers me for them. That's all; it just does.

Tom
08-29-2011, 10:05 PM
There was an old lady who lived alone on our street and her name was Hazel. My Dad called her Witch Hazel (the astringent). All I heard was Hazel was coming! Hide in the basement! Through all the fury of the storm Ikept hearing Hazel was not letting up! When we finally went outside and I saw all the damage, it was Hazel that did this!

I never, ever, crossed our neighbor again - never went near her house, never went outside if she was in her garden!Talk about terrozing a kid!

cj's dad
08-29-2011, 10:48 PM

Thanks for the update, ye of 42 meaningful posts. Yeah, I make lots of smart ass posts here when dealing with morons such as you. It seems like very few here have read and grasped what I posted, i.e. that HERE AS IN WHERE I live this storm was NO BIG DEAL, Yes, folks are without power and such. I never said it was not a nightmare in North Carolina and other places.

Final thought to Grits; you wanna blast me, feel free to do so. I thought you knew me better than that. Sorry that you misunderstood what I posted.

boxcar
08-29-2011, 10:52 PM
Yep. Just like your evangelical tag team lunatics (Robertson & Falwell) who wouldn't just look for a good natural disaster to proselytize, they laid a beating on those who perished in 9-11 by blaming all manner of political opponents for what transpired.

That's your opinion that they were looking for a natural disaster. Prove it. Show it to me in writing where either one ever said that. Whatever remarks they may have made post-disasters does not prove they were hopin' and prayin' and wishin' for any to occur.

Crazy ? They were insane. disgusting and disgraceful. :ThmbDown:

Not any more than you, unless you can back up your charges.

Boxcar

bigmack
08-29-2011, 11:02 PM
Yo, Grits, lighten up. We can all agree the media speculates on the severity of every hurricane. Many have caused less damage than expected. We're all used to this by now. I can understand because of her path and density of population, the media hyping the bejesus out of Irene. Cautious yes. Over-hype no.

Also, I think it's fairly clear cj's pop was speaking of his experience locally.

Anywho, hope ya get back safe und sound. :kiss:

Rookies
08-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Quote:

"Then Falwell said, "What we saw on Tuesday, as terrible as it is, could be miniscule if, in fact, God continues to lift the curtain and allow the enemies of America to give us probably what we deserve."
Robertson replied, "Well, Jerry, that's my feeling. I think we've just seen the antechamber to terror, we haven't begun to see what they can do to the major population."
Falwell said, "The ACLU has got to take a lot of blame for this. And I know I'll hear from them for this, but throwing God...successfully with the help of the federal court system...throwing God out of the public square, out of the schools, the abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked and when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad...I really believe that the pagans and the abortionists and the feminists and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way, all of them who try to secularize America...I point the finger in their face and say you helped this happen."
Robertson said, "I totally concur, and the problem is we've adopted that agenda at the highest levels of our government, and so we're responsible as a free society for what the top people do, and the top people, of course, is the court system."

JustRalph
08-29-2011, 11:23 PM
Bought a generator today. Got the essentials up and running. Hot water was the real goal. The fans and being able to recharge the phones and flashlights is icing on the cake.

May be without power for another 5days says BGE. Trying to work full time through this has been tough for us.

The emergency room at the local hospital has been a zoo since Irene went through. Lots of chainsaw accidents and many many injured backs and such from lifting tree limbs and debris.

Today began the arrival of many with flu like symptoms. Speculation is flooded ditches and such are overflowing and getting into basements and this is spreading bacteria. People are coming into contact with dirty water etc.

Freezers and fridges are harboring spoiled groceries and such. Lots of sick and injured on the fringes. I got to tell you that the Baltimore news people are horrible and they were way wrong on almost every prediction.

Grits, the wife says hi and she thinks you should spend another week at Toga and let things die down.

I do think the media was guilty of over doing it some.....I would have preferred
Less hyperbole and a little more accuracy from our locals

Marshall Bennett
08-30-2011, 06:23 AM
Good luck Ralph!! I know what you're dealing with. I thought by living almost 100 miles inland that I was safe and was for many years. The two hurricanes that clobbered me did so solely because of their strength. They were both still catagory 2 storms when they passed the Huntsville/Livingston areas of Texas.
Katrina taught us not to take these storms lightly and no one did with these two. The media fed off of Katrina and I believe though their constant coverage became somewhat annoying, it saved lives. Millions evacuated Houston and though the big city was spared, I never heard anyone complain about leaving.
Grits is right, better safe than sorry. Can you just imagine had the opposite taken place, they had downplayed Irene and thousands had perished.
Katrina set new standards and I'm glad of it.

Grits
08-30-2011, 08:39 AM
Ralph, honey, you and Lorie hang in there. She can download some more books to her Kindle.;) You can cook on the grill, and fix plenty for a few more days, while she relaxes. Plus, you can give her those adoring and blissful foot rubs, too. Sweetheart that you are.

I'm homebound, the southern end of the Thruway has opened this morning, it can get me to the NJTP/I-95. The western route of PA is longer in drive and getting across Jersey west may be a problem.

So, its me and my old friend, "the north south corridor. There's still a lot of problems, here, with flooding, horrible damage so far inland, who would've thought? But the rain was unbelievable--memories of Floyd.:rolleyes: The Thruway may be backed up for miles, but I've got to take a shot. First, had to let some of the a.m. commute get in, hopefully that's done. I've got to be home by tomorrow night for my son's appt. at Duke on Thursday, and back for my dad's on Friday.

11 hours driving may turn into 20--but Lord, I hope not. I'll be a zombie, and may have to stop somewhere. I wish so bad, I could teach my Yorkie, Zoe to DRIVE. Hussy, is no help at all.

Mack, thanks for the good thoughts, sweetheart, keep thinking them for me.:kiss:

And Dennis, I flare, but as you know, its over quickly. Then forgotten.

These people are going through a lot, they have tremendous damage here upstate, all through Vermont, etc, etc. And it breaks my heart to see them lose their belongings. Their homes damaged.

Anyway, very, very, long drive, please keep good thoughts for me, guys. I would appreciate any of them.

I've decided--I need a boyfriend, one who can drive long distances, likes horseracing, Yorkshire terriers, and sassy, willful women. I clean up OK for a 60 yr. old. (This is a tall order, I know.):lol:

Take care y'all. :kiss:

Tom
08-30-2011, 08:42 AM
Good luck, Grits!

riskman
08-30-2011, 09:12 AM
Have a safe journey and look forward to your posts when you get yourself settled.My mother was a sassy southerner born in S.C. mountains off route 11 near Landrum. Don't change.

wizard_of_odds
08-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the update, ye of 42 meaningful posts. Yeah, I make lots of smart ass posts here when dealing with morons such as you. It seems like very few here have read and grasped what I posted, i.e. that HERE AS IN WHERE I live this storm was NO BIG DEAL, Yes, folks are without power and such. I never said it was not a nightmare in North Carolina and other places.

Final thought to Grits; you wanna blast me, feel free to do so. I thought you knew me better than that. Sorry that you misunderstood what I posted.

This is just what I thought you would do.Your FIRST post didnt say anything about where you lived !!!!!...Now that Grits called you out you changed your story...Be a man instead of a mouse hiding behind your keyboard and admit your first post was wrong...

cj's dad
08-30-2011, 10:44 AM
This is just what I thought you would do.Your FIRST post didnt say anything about where you lived !!!!!...Now that Grits called you out you changed your story...Be a man instead of a mouse hiding behind your keyboard and admit your first post was wrong...

I'm pretty sure it's listed right under my user name. Wait, let me check. Yep, been there for years. Next moronic post !

Tom
08-30-2011, 11:21 AM

No secret where he lives.

Duh.

boxcar
08-30-2011, 12:53 PM
No secret where he lives.

Duh.

If only the Wizard had an alien from outer space to help him out... :D

Boxcar

wizard_of_odds
08-30-2011, 01:27 PM

This is your original post...You have said nothing pertaining to where you live!!..Your next post tells us that you are talking about where you live..Can you not see the difference in what you have wrote..This post is why you were called out by Grits..Calling people names might be fun behind your keyboard...Why cant you be a man and admit you made a mistake.

wizard_of_odds
08-30-2011, 01:30 PM

From post #77:

This is the post explaing the first post....Can you not see why people were upset with the first?????

cj's dad
08-30-2011, 02:08 PM
Did you not read post #108 ? My God, wake up !

Here let me help the reading impaired:

And there was little if any reason for folks to be upset as I was stating that where I live, which is plainly evident beneath my user name, there was nothing significant taking place at THE MOMENT that I posted.

This is the post explaining the first post....Can you not see why people were upset with the first?????

wizard_of_odds
08-30-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm pretty sure it's listed right under my user name. Wait, let me check. Yep, been there for years. Next moronic post !

Bawlmer Murrland....Your friends on here may now where you live but I have never heard of this place..I bet you dont like to be called a moron do you???.Im sure a lot of posters wouldnt know where this place is...Do you mean Baltimore Maryland?..Funny how certain posters on here can get away with calling people names because either they have a son that is a moderator or are friends of the owner of this site.I did read a thread a few weeks back from PA asking other posters to refrain from calling people names.I guess this doesnt include you.

DJofSD
08-30-2011, 02:29 PM
Minor correction: the post was called moronic, not the person that wrote the post.

Tom
08-30-2011, 02:32 PM
Who were you the last time your were here?
You sound familiar.

Saratoga_Mike
08-30-2011, 02:42 PM
You sound familiar.

I was wondering the same thing.

cj's dad
08-30-2011, 02:44 PM
You sound familiar.

Thought the same thing Tom. How many newbies here realize so quickly that their posts are moderated and who the mods are. Suspicious.

Bet there an old refugee in the woodpile.

CryingForTheHorses
08-30-2011, 05:36 PM

CJD...Wizard_of_odds is my wife Lisa who reads and comments every now and then when I let her have my laptop.She has been a member since 2004...Not a newbie.She has her opinion just like you do and felt strongly in your posts.She is a wonderful lady who works her ass of everyday. She is far from a moron.

Tom
08-30-2011, 08:44 PM

Well this is word for word what he posted originally.
Hardly anything to get worked up about.

CryingForTheHorses
08-30-2011, 08:52 PM

Hi Tom..Please look at post 111 and you will see his original quote..That was what started it I guess..

Tom
08-30-2011, 08:57 PM
CJD in 77 and Grits in 80.

Rookies
08-30-2011, 09:14 PM

Tom, I believe that Dennis was trying to emphasize his local conditions in Balt. But some saw that he was demonstrating a lack of empathy for those being battered, virtually everywhere else.

The truth is that this was a huge, storm, wreaking havoc on a widespread basis. Everyone from the President on down, through all the Governors batting from both sides of the plate, were quite correct in battening down the hatches and telling people to take care. It will take some time to restore power to millions and begin the job of repair.

To tell you the truth, I thought Christie struck the perfect tone, as in:

" GTF off the beaches, you selfish jackasses! " Not what he said... but that was MY translation. Anyone who has been through one of these has a great deal of empathy for those experiencing it today.

Don't think that D intended anything else than a factual statement of home boy turf... but some interpreted it otherwise.

cj's dad
08-30-2011, 09:17 PM
This has gotten way out of control. All I said way back when was that here in Baltimore Md. the situation was not what it was forecast to be. The media here has been hammered since Monday over their overdramatization of this event.

I do not appreciate any reference to my son as a moderator or as a fellow poster. He has his opinions and I have mine. We do not correspond with one another prior to posting. When he is referenced, I get a bit defensive.

To those that were offended, I apologize.

As far as I am concerned this is a done deal.

Pace Cap'n
08-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Minor correction: the post was called moronic, not the person that wrote the post.

See post #98. Nope, no double standard here.

PaceAdvantage
08-31-2011, 12:49 AM
See post #98. Nope, no double standard here.So you don't think the way Wizard came at CJD warranted his type of response? Both parties were out of line, don't you think?

And yes, my civility request was mainly aimed at the horse racing side of things. Off-topic has always been a bit more rowdy by comparison...

Are you very concerned that a double standard exists? Do you find that to be the case on a daily basis? Does it affect your experperience here? Is it more perceived than real?

You can always request an immediate refund. This place has always come with an iron-clad money back guarantee....

Grits
08-31-2011, 09:26 AM
Home. Have power. Many people in other areas, and surrounding cities still do not--most have been out since Saturday around 4 a.m. My first look at last night's local news? Horrendous along the coasts, particularly the Outer Banks, roads buckled and gone, pleasure boats, commercial fishing boats, businesses (and villages) destroyed.

My neighborhood looks like a war zone, my yard included, maybe a bomb went off in it? The good thing is there are no trees on my house. And there are huge ones surrrounding it. Ones it would take a crane to lift if they'd fallen.

The city clean up folks have the streets cleared, still there are huge piles of debris and there are trees that have been cut and placed at the curbs.

(The front door bell just rang, it was a young boy, maybe 11, with one small rake. Bless him. . . . "Lord, child, you've brought only a rake--and I know its all you have--but I need a bush hog, a bagger the size of car, and at least 4 commercial blowers.")

I have no idea when I'll be able to get this mess cleaned up! Hurricanes are evil. And draining. From New York to Carolina this one's been a pain in the butt.:faint:

Again, no trees on the house. I'm grateful. :) Ralph, I hope you have power by now, if not your refrigerator and all the food in it, may as well be kicked to the curb.

JustRalph
08-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Moved all the stuff in my freezer and fridge right after the power went out. Everything is stored away in a cmmercial freezer where the wife works .

I had coolers full of ice on hand when the power went out.

Still no power

Today is a day off for me. Wife too . Wife will be headed out of town on business in the morn. Today's goal will be laundry. Got a message from power comp. They say Friday or Sunday now

Are we having fun yet

CryingForTheHorses
08-31-2011, 10:44 AM
Grits.Glad to see you made it home safe.I bet you are in awe at the damage.Im like you .I hate hurricanes.Im sure it will take a while to get things cleaned up.Glad your home is safe,A few trees and plants can be replaced.Still havent got a hold of Jason in Virginia..I hear that state also got hit bad.Feel bad for all affected in this hurricane.Im so glad Florida didnt get hit (this time)

highnote
08-31-2011, 10:50 AM
Moved all the stuff in my freezer and fridge right after the power went out. Everything is stored away in a cmmercial freezer where the wife works .

I had coolers full of ice on hand when the power went out.

Still no power

Today is a day off for me. Wife too . Wife will be headed out of town on business in the morn. Today's goal will be laundry. Got a message from power comp. They say Friday or Sunday now

Are we having fun yet

We are still without grid power. I drove 3 hours yesterday to buy a generator. Got a good one. I was surprised that these new ones have 110 and 220. Every place was sold out. Local Home Depot finally got some in last night. They were selling like hot cakes.

Today we have internet, refridgerator, washer/dryer and hot water, etc.

Kids were supposed to start school past Monday. Looks like school is postponed until Monday. Kids are happy.

boxcar
08-31-2011, 11:45 AM
We are still without grid power. I drove 3 hours yesterday to buy a generator. Got a good one. I was surprised that these new ones have 110 and 220. Every place was sold out. Local Home Depot finally got some in last night. They were selling like hot cakes.

Today we have internet, refridgerator, washer/dryer and hot water, etc.

Kids were supposed to start school past Monday. Looks like school is postponed until Monday. Kids are happy.

It sounds as though you're living high on the hog with your generator, running all those things. That could really get pricey if your juice isn't restored in a timely manner. A little advice and you can take it for what it's worth: Generators are great for providing emergency power to those appliances that need it the most, such as refrigeration, medical equipment, etc. Use your generator prudently to run the things that are needed, and forget the less important things, e.g. computers, TVs, A/C's, etc.

Turn your refrigeration up high so that it stays colder longer. Try not to run multiple high wattage appliances at once. For example, I have three refrigerators in my home. (Obviously, these appliances are high priority items for me.) I do run all those at one time, but then after a few hours, I will power them down at the circuit breaker box, and turn on the breaker for my water heater. After my water heats up for a few hours, I'll turn the heater off and crank up the fridges again, etc.

If I want to make coffee, I run the coffee maker but make sure I don't run another high wattage unit, such a a microwave, simultaneously, etc. Just common sense stuff.

Give your generator a rest a couple of times during the day for at least a couple of hours each time. This will give you a chance to let it cool down, so you can refuel safely, check the oil level, change oil if necessary and will also allow you to conserve on fuel to save money.

Boxcar

cj's dad
08-31-2011, 12:04 PM
Boxcar, I know you are trying to be helpful but:

Emergency generators are rated for "continuous duty". This info is listed on the generators name plate which indicates voltage output (120-240), ampere rating (30), cycles (60 hz.), duty (cont.) among other things. The above numbers are examples but I know of no portable generators rated for "intermittent" duty.

Note- the voltage and ampere ratings I cited are examples only.

highnote
08-31-2011, 12:21 PM
It sounds as though you're living high on the hog with your generator, running all those things. That could really get pricey if your juice isn't restored in a timely manner. A little advice and you can take it for what it's worth:

We are enjoying having electricity again and trying to catch up on a few things. You're right, it can get pricey -- if we use 8 gallons of gas per day that is about $32 -- 10 times the cost of electricity from the grid!

Good tip about the fridge!

We turn the genny off at 11pm because it is noisy. Some of our neighbors have power -- like the next door neighbors to our left and right and across the street. Only the neighbors on our one-way street don't have electricity. One-way street must be on a different grid.

I run my business out of my home. Must have computers online. Phones are cable phones, but haven't turned them on. Just using cell phone.

I unplug the boiler once we have hot water in the storage tank. No point in keeping it hot all day. Some things are hardwired to the breaker panel -- like dishwasher. So can't use that -- much to my wife's disappointment. Can't blame her. She'll probably ask me to do dishes. Maybe I can get my boys to do them -- although, probably wouldn't be safe to eat of them they way they'd clean them. LOL

We could go to laundrymat to wash clothes, but it probably costs about the same and is a huge convenience to do them at home. My wife hangs the clothes outside to dry -- so the cost of drying is free! But it's nice to know the genny has 220 in case we want to run the dryer.

In 25 years on this street we have never lost power for more than an hour except when the whole east coast lost power a couple of summers ago when there was a problem with the grid in the midwest. It's good to know that if there is a "next time" we will have power from the generator. And if we lose power in the winter we know we will have heat.

It may be pricey to run the genny, but it costs a lot more if I lose money in my business or have to pay for a hotel in the winter!

I wanted to buy a propane genny, but that was a special order from Home Depot and would take 10 days to get. I bought a gasoline one. Turns out, there is a 4 day wait to have propane delivered! Glad I got the gas powered one!

highnote
08-31-2011, 12:25 PM

Emergency generators are rated for "continuous duty". This info is listed on the generators name plate which indicates voltage output (120-240), ampere rating (30), cycles (60 hz.), duty (cont.) among other things. The above numbers are examples but I know of no portable generators rated for "intermittent" duty.

The genny I bought is supposed to run for up to 11 hours on 8 gallons of gas at 50% power. I doubt we run it at 25% capacity for more than 6 hours per day. It will be interesting to see how much gas it uses today.

DJofSD
08-31-2011, 12:34 PM
I have no experience with gas powered generators, so, be kind: if the load (power draw) is low, does that mean the engine runs easier, i.e. uses less fuel, and therefore will run for a long period of time on the same amount of gas?

boxcar
08-31-2011, 12:47 PM

I realize this, but does this mean I shouldn't be prudent? Furthermore, generators should be shut down for refueling, checking oil, oil changing, etc. And in the context of my post, I also stated that it would save on expensive fuel. (Color me frugal!)

For me, a generator is strictly an emergency piece of equipment and so I use it accordingly. I run strictly the appliances I need to run for the time I need to run them. There's never been a reason for me to run my generator around the clock. That's just a terrible waste of money -- and I run three fridges, and to date haven't lost any food!

Boxcar

cj's dad
08-31-2011, 12:52 PM
The higher the load, the more fuel it will use. The generator must maintain 60 cycles to out put its' rated voltage of 120/240. The higher the load (amps), the harder the engine must work.

Side note to all: Read the instructions carefully.Make sure your generator is properly vented
(CO emissions) and do not attempt to "become creative " with moving circuits around in your home distribution panel. Good luck to all.

I have no experience with gas powered generators, so, be kind: if the load (power draw) is low, does that mean the engine runs easier, i.e. uses less fuel, and therefore will run for a long period of time on the same amount of gas?

cj's dad
08-31-2011, 12:54 PM
Yes, it should be shut down for refueling. I was only pointing out that it can run until empty of fuel.

I realize this, but does this mean I shouldn't be prudent? Furthermore, generators should be shut down for refueling, checking oil, oil changing, etc. And in the context of my post, I also stated that it would save on expensive fuel. (Color me frugal!)

For me, a generator is strictly an emergency piece of equipment and so I use it accordingly. I run strictly the appliances I need to run for the time I need to run them. There's never been a reason for me to run my generator around the clock. That's just a terrible waste of money -- and I run three fridges, and to date haven't lost any food!

Boxcar

boxcar
08-31-2011, 01:00 PM
We are enjoying having electricity again and trying to catch up on a few things. You're right, it can get pricey -- if we use 8 gallons of gas per day that is about $32 -- 10 times the cost of electricity from the grid!

Good tip about the fridge!

We turn the genny off at 11pm because it is noisy. Some of our neighbors have power -- like the next door neighbors to our left and right and across the street. Only the neighbors on our one-way street don't have electricity. One-way street must be on a different grid.

I run my business out of my home. Must have computers online. Phones are cable phones, but haven't turned them on. Just using cell phone.

I unplug the boiler once we have hot water in the storage tank. No point in keeping it hot all day. Some things are hardwired to the breaker panel -- like dishwasher. So can't use that -- much to my wife's disappointment. Can't blame her. She'll probably ask me to do dishes. Maybe I can get my boys to do them -- although, probably wouldn't be safe to eat of them they way they'd clean them. LOL

We could go to laundrymat to wash clothes, but it probably costs about the same and is a huge convenience to do them at home. My wife hangs the clothes outside to dry -- so the cost of drying is free! But it's nice to know the genny has 220 in case we want to run the dryer.

In 25 years on this street we have never lost power for more than an hour except when the whole east coast lost power a couple of summers ago when there was a problem with the grid in the midwest. It's good to know that if there is a "next time" we will have power from the generator. And if we lose power in the winter we know we will have heat.

It may be pricey to run the genny, but it costs a lot more if I lose money in my business or have to pay for a hotel in the winter!

I wanted to buy a propane genny, but that was a special order from Home Depot and would take 10 days to get. I bought a gasoline one. Turns out, there is a 4 day wait to have propane delivered! Glad I got the gas powered one!

It sounds as though your genny isn't "hardwired" into your house. If I'm right, I would heartily recommend that you get an electrician to do that. And it probably wouldn't cost you too much for the job. Plus you'll love the convenience. Once you have the genny wired into your house, you can operate everything from your circuit box.

Glad to hear your juice is back. Nothing like "cheap" electricity. :D

Boxcar

DJofSD
08-31-2011, 01:03 PM
It sounds as though your genny isn't "hardwired" into your house. If I'm right, I would heartily recommend that you get an electrician to do that. And it probably wouldn't cost you too much for the job. Plus you'll love the convenience. Once you have the genny wired into your house, you can operate everything from your circuit box.

Glad to hear your juice is back. Nothing like "cheap" electricity. :D

Boxcar
Perhaps I don't understand exactly what you are saying when you recommend having an electrician hardwire the generator. I recall reading that utilities do not want home generators tied into the regular circuitry b/c it can send lethal voltage onto the grid and cause problems when the workers are trying to effect repairs.

boxcar
08-31-2011, 01:07 PM
Yes, it should be shut down for refueling. I was only pointing out that it can run until empty of fuel.

And that is another good tip. Always run the fuel out of the tank or siphon the fuel out if there's a lot in there, when done running the machine. Generators should never be stored with any fuel in them.

Boxcar

boxcar
08-31-2011, 01:24 PM
Perhaps I don't understand exactly what you are saying when you recommend having an electrician hardwire the generator. I recall reading that utilities do not want home generators tied into the regular circuitry b/c it can send lethal voltage onto the grid and cause problems when the workers are trying to effect repairs.

Like anything else, you need to know what you're doing. Providing the main breaker to the house is shut off, nothing will escape out to the grid. This is so because, likewise, no electricity from the outside can get into the home either. In a manner of speaking, your home is operating on a closed circuit with this kind of of a set up.

Now, once the power comes back on, the first thing a homeowner does is shut down his generator BEFORE he does anything else. Then I unplug the genny power cord from the 220V outdoor outlet to my home and from the machine itself. Then I turn off certain individual breakers in my breaker box (so all my appliances don't come on at one time), then I turn on the Main Breaker. Then finally, I slowly turn on all my individual breakers so that all circuits are alive.

Boxcar

cj's dad
08-31-2011, 01:40 PM

It can be done fairly easily; 4-6 hours labor but the key is that you will need a double pole double throw non -fusible manual transfer switch.

Link:
http://www.ecodirect.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Square-D-DTU223RB&site=google_base

The way this works is that the wires from your meter to your panel are disconnected at the panel and moved to the top position in the disconnect switch. The feed from the generator is connected to the bottom position of the disconnect switch. New wires are then run from the center position of the switch to your distribution panel. In normal conditions, your switch ia at the top position. Under power failure conditions, you turn off every breker in your panel except the main, move the disc. switch to the bottom position, and start your generator. When it is up to speed, you have power to your panel. At this point you turn on breakers which are critical to your needs. Typically, these are marked beforehand.

For a 100 amp switch the cost will be about $700- labor and misc materials about $500.

Hope that helps.

DJofSD
08-31-2011, 01:54 PM
Thanks to both: now I am a little bit smarter.

boxcar
08-31-2011, 02:05 PM
Thanks to both: now I am a little bit smarter.

I'm smarter too. :) My house didn't have a main breaker, believe it or not. So, after I got my generator I called my electrician out and didn't concern myself with all the technical details. I just told him what I wanted and had him do it all. After all, that's why I'm paying him good money. :cool:

Boxcar

highnote
08-31-2011, 02:14 PM
My genny is not connected to the main circuit breaker nor a separate circuit breaker. A separate circuit breaker is the next purchase, but I'll hire a pro to do it.

For now, I am using heavy duty extension cords to run the TV, fridge and computers. It would be nice to have lights, but flashlights and battery powered lanterns work well.

We are cooking on the propane grill and the coleman propane camping stove.

I did a do-it-yourself wiring job... I wired up my boiler to run with the generator. It was a simple as splicing the white and black wires from the boiler to the white and black wires on an extension cord. A hot shower is thing of beauty.

Good tip about turning off all the breakers so that when the power does come on everything in the house will NOT come on at once.

cj's dad
08-31-2011, 02:26 PM
I'm smarter too. :) My house didn't have a main breaker, believe it or not. So, after I got my generator I called my electrician out and didn't concern myself with all the technical details. I just told him what I wanted and had him do it all. After all, that's why I'm paying him good money. :cool:

Boxcar

This is turning into an electrical thread but what the heck.

Box,

Does your panel consist of more than 6 circuit breakers ?

If so, you should have a disconnect means by the National Electrical Code.
One can easily be installed adjacent to your panel, if your panel cannot accept a main circuit breaker

The reason (safety) is that in an emergency, you want to kill all power with one motion of the hand.

Sweteyejohn-

Utilizing 3 - 75 watt lamps will consume less than2 amperes - go for it

Dennis

highnote
08-31-2011, 02:39 PM
This is turning into an electrical thread but what the heck.

Box,

Does your panel consist of more than 6 circuit breakers ?

If so, you should have a disconnect means by the National Electrical Code.
One can easily be installed adjacent to your panel, if your panel cannot accept a main circuit breaker

The reason (safety) is that in an emergency, you want to kill all power with one motion of the hand.

Mine has way more than 6 and does not have an emergency shut off switch. I've often worried about how to shut it off in an emergency. I'll have to get a pro come look at it ASAP. Wonder why they didn't install it when the previous owners upgraded the box?

Sweteyejohn-

Utilizing 3 - 75 watt lamps will consume less than2 amperes - go for it

Dennis

What I meant is that it would be nice to have the genny hard wired to the whole house so all the lights in all the rooms worked.

I ran an extension cord last night to lamps in the living room and will probably do it again tonight.

But as I said before... I turn the genny off at 11pm because some of the neighbors go to bed pretty early... so flashlights and lanterns work well since we only need them for a few hours.

boxcar
08-31-2011, 03:55 PM
That's funny, SJ, because my house was built in '75, has a huge circuit breaker box in the garage but like you I didn't have a main breaker installed either. Go figure! After I bought my generator, I had to have my electrician come out and install a main box outside my garage. It's "weatherproof" and I keep it locked, so that no one can tamper with it. It contains one huge breaker that enables me to cut off outside juice with one motion as CJD said.

Anyhow...if you're going to have an electrician come out to your house to install a main breaker, you might as well ask him about installing a 220V outdoor outlet and circuit that will let you plug your generator into the home.

Boxcar

highnote
08-31-2011, 04:20 PM
That's funny, SJ, because my house was built in '75, has a huge circuit breaker box in the garage but like you I didn't have a main breaker installed either. Go figure! After I bought my generator, I had to have my electrician come out and install a main box outside my garage. It's "weatherproof" and I keep it locked, so that no one can tamper with it. It contains one huge breaker that enables me to cut off outside juice with one motion as CJD said.

Maybe that's the way they did it back then? I like the idea of an outside tamper proof box.

Anyhow...if you're going to have an electrician come out to your house to install a main breaker, you might as well ask him about installing a 220V outdoor outlet and circuit that will let you plug your generator into the home.

Boxcar

Good idea!

And as long as I'm hiring someone, I'll have him run an extra 220v outlet outside for a hot tub. I've got the perfect spot for a hot tub. I was going to buy a 110v hot tub because I didn't want to have to hire an electrician just to run 220v, but as long as he is here, may as well have him run the line. Plus, with a 220v hot tub you can leave the jets on at the same time as the heater!

110v you can only run jets or heater -- not both. What's the point of a hot tub without both at the same time. :D

I wonder how much gas I would burn up in the genny keeping the hot tub running? :)

boxcar
08-31-2011, 05:35 PM
Maybe that's the way they did it back then? I like the idea of an outside tamper proof box.

Good idea!

And as long as I'm hiring someone, I'll have him run an extra 220v outlet outside for a hot tub. I've got the perfect spot for a hot tub. I was going to buy a 110v hot tub because I didn't want to have to hire an electrician just to run 220v, but as long as he is here, may as well have him run the line. Plus, with a 220v hot tub you can leave the jets on at the same time as the heater!

110v you can only run jets or heater -- not both. What's the point of a hot tub without both at the same time. :D

I wonder how much gas I would burn up in the genny keeping the hot tub running? :)

That's really funny you mention a hot tub because the junction box to where he installed the outlet was to my old hot tub which I had removed several years ago. In fact, that one 30-AMP box pulls double duty because my new A/C condenser (which I bought some time after my generator) is also wired into the same box. I just have to be careful that I trip the built-in breaker that's inside the box for the A/C before plugging in my generator.

Boxcar

cj's dad
08-31-2011, 10:10 PM
Just a heads up guys- the more conveniences that you want in the time of an "emergency", the bigger the generator ($$$) and the more gas ($$$) it will cost you. No matter what you decide do it professionally (as you have already done).

BTW- that will be $70 - please put the check in the mail. :cool:

highnote
08-31-2011, 10:31 PM
Just a heads up guys- the more conveniences that you want in the time of an "emergency", the bigger the generator ($$$) and the more gas ($$$) it will cost you. No matter what you decide do it professionally (as you have already done).

There was one guy driving around town Monday trying to sell an $800 genny for $2,000. Supply and demand. :D

Speaking of professionals... I called my boiler company to ask about hooking up my boiler to the generator. The woman from the oil company said they don't provide that service and that I would have to call a licensed electrician and have him come out and do it. I said it is only two wires to splice together and that I would probably do it myself. She warned me against doing it and said I have to call an electrician.

So I called an electrician -- the same one that I hired to do a renovation on a rental property. He lives 500 miles away in Ohio. He said go ahead and make the splice. Just make sure you wire it back the way you found it.

It worked like a charm. And he didn't charge me.

Now you can send me $70 for the advice and I'll send $70 to cj'd dad. :ThmbUp:

JustRalph
08-31-2011, 10:34 PM
power came on tonight at about 6p. We saw the BGE trucks driving around the neighborhood......with high hopes we all stood outside shooting the bull and when it came on.........we were all literally dancing in the streets and hooping and hollering.........

what a bunch of pansies we are...... :lol:

back on the desktop........ no more ipad only via the phone.

boxcar
09-01-2011, 12:18 AM

You've got that right! I've got friends who have generators so big they can run their entire homes on 'em, including their A/Cs. I should just move in with one of them, come the next storm. :D

Boxcar

bigmack
09-01-2011, 04:55 AM
Home. Have power. Many people in other areas, and surrounding cities still do not--most have been out since Saturday around 4 a.m. My first look at last night's local news? Horrendous along the coasts, particularly the Outer Banks, roads buckled and gone, pleasure boats, commercial fishing boats, businesses (and villages) destroyed.
Happy to hear you's back home. While Irene didn't live up to her hype in stories worthy of national coverage, it sounds like the regional back stories continue.

Keep us posted as the host of this site remains under darkness. :eek:

Our thoughts are with ya'll. :ThmbUp:

Rookies
09-09-2011, 11:47 PM
I got married in August, 1972 & like McShell & Marshall Bennett, have learned the incredible power & force of water in nature. I watched Hurricane Agnes completely overpower the Susquehanna River banks in N.E. P.A., cutting through brick & concrete like butter. Every one of these natural monsters needs to be watched, tracked, prepared for anddealt with competently afterwards.

I posted this only about 2 weeks ago. This is a very, creepy-clairvoyant update. Not 2 weeks later, the aftermath of the latest 2011 Hurricane has caused the same Susquehanna to overflow to NEW record levels of 42 feet in the same places! See: http://www.timesleader.com/news/River-level-dropping-slower-than-expected.html

The remaining members of the wife's family say that N.E. Pa is better prepared this time and trying to cope with this new test of their perseverance.

Weird...