PDA

View Full Version : Canterbury Announcers

bigmack
08-25-2011, 10:08 PM
Seems every time I pop my head in over @ CBY they have another announcer.

What gives?

iwearpurple
08-25-2011, 11:00 PM
Seems every time I pop my head in over @ CBY they have another announcer.

What gives?

Paul Allen is the regular track announcer, but he also does the Minnesota Vikings on radio, so when he is doing that they need a substitute.

Worst was a couple of weeks ago they used Tampa Bays Richard Grunder. It would have been better without an announcer.

bigmack
08-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Paul Allen is the regular track announcer, but he also does the Minnesota Vikings on radio, so when he is doing that they need a substitute.

Worst was a couple of weeks ago they used Tampa Bays Richard Grunder. It would have been better without an announcer.
While I dig Allen, is CBY that unprofessional they simply work around the schedule of the track anncr and his other obligations? If memory serves, he was barkin' at CBY before his V gig.

Hot dog. Your mention of Grunder gives me another opp to highlight my perceived notion that Grunder acutely studied the work of W. Conrad from Bullwinkle and Rock. :ThmbUp:

Okq5Vvnv1VQ

BlueShoe
08-25-2011, 11:42 PM
Haven't we been over this one a bit too often? I happen to LIKE Grunder, and enjoy his work.

Goofyscott
08-25-2011, 11:45 PM
Paul Allen is good. Tonite I think was a test run for the future for someone to call races while he will be gone. I listen to KFAN the local radio station that pail allen is also on and I think I remember him saying that he needs someone to call the races while he's gone.

bigmack
08-25-2011, 11:58 PM
Paul Allen is good. Tonite I think was a test run for the future for someone to call races while he will be gone. I listen to KFAN the local radio station that pail allen is also on and I think I remember him saying that he needs someone to call the races while he's gone.
"Tonite" :confused:

The fill-in guy was not objectionable.

rgustafson
08-26-2011, 08:51 AM

The guy you heard won a contest and called one race (I think it was the 5th) and Paul Allen caled the other races. I'm guessing that Grunder will call the other dates for the remainder of the meet when Allen has a conflict with the Viking games.

iwearpurple
08-26-2011, 09:31 AM
Haven't we been over this one a bit too often? I happen to LIKE Grunder, and enjoy his work.

You might like Grunder, most people don't.

On Friday August 12th, a horse I own part of ran in the 7th race. Never once during the race was this horse's name mentioned. This was a 9 horse field, not a quarter horse race, but a route race at 1 mile and 70 yards. Because he didn't break last ("and the last horse away"), and wasn't among the leaders at any point, Grunder never found the horse.

I didn't think I heard the name during the actual race, and after watching the replay a number of times, I confirmed my original thought.

His work grades "F".

Phantombridgejumpe
08-26-2011, 10:41 AM
did your horse get?

cj
08-26-2011, 11:36 AM
While I dig Allen, is CBY that unprofessional they simply work around the schedule of the track anncr and his other obligations? If memory serves, he was barkin' at CBY before his V gig.

Lots of people do this. Plenty of local announcers step up to bigger gigs if asked, then return. It should be a feather in the cap for Canterbury to promote their announcer is also the Vikings announcer.

iwearpurple
08-26-2011, 12:28 PM
did your horse get?

F

bigmack
08-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Lots of people do this. Plenty of local announcers step up to bigger gigs if asked, then return. It should be a feather in the cap for Canterbury to promote their announcer is also the Vikings announcer.
I don't know if that applies if he had the CBY gig prior to being with the V's.

NsSylliwlLg

cj
08-26-2011, 03:33 PM
I don't know if that applies if he had the CBY gig prior to being with the V's.

NsSylliwlLg

I know, it just think it would be silly of them not to allow him to do the Vikings games. It is good publicity for them at the least. The NFL trumps horse racing every time.

MNslappy
08-26-2011, 03:58 PM
It's not just the Vikings, he has his normal Mon-Fri 9 to Noon radio show too (the guy works a lot), on which he brings up CBY on just about a daily basis. So the way I see it, a track of CBYs caliber, or lack thereof, should consider itself lucky to have a guy like Paul Allen on the mic.