PDA

View Full Version : Turf Writers Cup

aharon5741
08-25-2011, 02:06 PM
Did I count three separate spills in that race? Is something wrong with the turf course at Saratoga? I don't usually watch US steeplechase events and I see horses go down all the time in these events - but 3 separate spills? What happend?

Trainer David Jacobson, better known for his work with sprinters and low-level claimers than steeplechases, accomplished an unbelievable training feat winning the 2 1/2-mile New York Turf Writers Cup with an 8-year-old gelding he claimed three weeks ago. Mabou ($35.20) finished fastest of all in his first start for Jacobson to win a race marred by three late spills. All three fallen horses and riders walked away from it without serious injury but Straight to It lay prone on the track for several scary minutes before suddenly jumping back up.

http://www.drf.com/blogs/spa-day-30-82511

Some_One
08-25-2011, 02:24 PM
I counted two accidents, the first coming around the final turn where the Euro horse got cut off and went down as a result, taking someone behind. The other was at the final fence, looks like the horse just didn't land well and lost balance. Don't think it was the turf course.