PDA

View Full Version : fan hanover

sonnyp
08-25-2011, 12:54 PM
she was the only filly to win "the little brown jug". she was, without a doubt, one of the greatest ever. she died in ontario, canada on august 23,2011 at 33 years of age.

kQ02VZ5wM5s

LottaKash
08-25-2011, 05:32 PM
Thx SonnyP....I remember Fan Hanover very well....She was quite the talented and speedy filly...

best,

sonnyp
08-25-2011, 08:21 PM
ok harness buffs........who was the only other person, besides glenn garnsey, to drive fan hanover in a pari mutuel race ?

LottaKash
08-25-2011, 09:34 PM
ok harness buffs........who was the only other person, besides glenn garnsey, to drive fan hanover in a pari mutuel race ?

Garland Garnsey ?.....Clint Galbraith ?....I really don't know who....:(

best,

wilderness
08-25-2011, 09:41 PM
who was the only other person, besides glenn garnsey

sonny,
I've a sick sense of humor ;)

How about Paul Vineyard!

There was an earlier Fan Hanover that was by Calumet Chuck that raced in the Vineyard stable during the early 1940's.

LottaKash
08-25-2011, 10:07 PM
sonny,
I've a sick sense of humor ;)

How about Paul Vineyard!

There was an earlier Fan Hanover that was by Calumet Chuck that raced in the Vineyard stable during the early 1940's.

Don, I have heard and seen that name before....More than a few times....

Refresh me on that please....And, about the "sickness" part too..haha !

best,

wilderness
08-25-2011, 11:32 PM
Regarding the 1980's mare:
I got to drive a lot of very good horses when I worked for Glen," Steve Waller admits. "And those drives, and others, gave me the experience and the visibility I would need to go on my own when that time came around."
During his stint with Garnsey, Waller crawled up behind such modern-day stars as Bruce Gimble, the brilliant Horse of the Year; Abercrombie; the iron-tough Fan Hanover and Delmegan, which Waller steered home a winner in the inaugural edition of The Blue Ribbon Stakes on Memorial Day at The Red Mile in 1982.
end of quote

" heard that name before"

Which one Fan Hanover or Paul Vineyard?

Should have plenty on Vineyard.

From July 22, 1942 Harness Horse and Roosevelt:

July 16-The attendance this afternoon was unfortunately nothing to brag about as the quality of sport provided deserved a far larger crowd as there were some "slambang'' contests, the kind affording thrills; some surprise winners resulting in long odds going to the successful speculators; and likewise a Daily Double of sizeable proportions, in fact $678.30 which is really ''folding money'' in present times.

The day was glorious and the track as glib as the most critical could desire, then with surprising results taking place in the two first dashes, the crowd was keyed up early. In the Classified Trot, Paul Vineyard hustled Fan Hanover away promptly, kept her in a nice position, then when the battle for honors was the stiffest, the three-year-old daughter of Calumet Chuck 2, 2:04, romped in. She is owned by Irv. Gleason and is the first foal out of Grace Hanover 2:05, formerly his property. Fan Hanover rewarded with $19 for $2.

Hanover1
08-25-2011, 11:42 PM
Have not heard much from Stevie Waller in years...know he had a string at Red Mile for years, and settled in Lexington. Is he still around? I toured the shed with him around 86-87 I recall, and his assistant was the fellow that looked after Laugh a Day for Farrington (then the most expensive yearling ever sold at 650k, and one of earliest multiple sub .50 producers as well, owned by Lloyd Arnold). Seemed content and had some stock. Curious to know if he ever had any decent stakes colts? Sonny? Always wondered why, with such a great start, we never heard much.....really a nice sort.

wilderness
08-25-2011, 11:43 PM
Kash,
Vineyard chased Henry T. Adios with a horse named Mighty Tide.

Vineyard was the trainer for Fred Greenly. One of Greenly's horses was Direct Express.

from Dec 12, 1945 Harness Horse:

PAUL VINEYARD LOCATES PERMANENTLY AT HARRINGTON, DELAWARE

As a group of horsemen watched the rain patter down at the recent Trenton, N. J., Interstate Fair races, and at times, rain did more than patter, coming down in waves, Paul Vineyard recounted some interesting facts in regard to his years of experiences with harness horses. First he said, "I was raised in the fine farming and stock growing section of New Jersey, around Bridgeton. Father was a good horseman, and instructed we boys to take thorough care of the work horses." When Paul was old enough to vote he went to work for the late Walter Garrison, for whom he expressed high admiration. When queried as to whether Mr. Garrison worked his horses hard? he replied "No he did not, but he spent considerable time in the training season shoeing and experimenting with them, which made it seem as if he was keeping them at it for a long time, but he did not train too hard."
When Walter Garrison passed on, the result of a severe accident at Lewistown, Pa., and even before, Paul started training on his own and has been extremely successful ever since. He winter-trained a formidable stable at Harrington, Del., at the Kent and Sussex Fair grounds track, it having proved a very satisfactory place to give a stable of horses their early spring work. Paul and Mrs. Vineyard found the spring harness horse environment so pleasing at Harrington, that the entire household, lock, stock and barrel and dog moved late in the summer from the former home at Doylestown, Pa., to live and take advantage of the semi-southern winter training grounds at Harrington. It is in order at this time, to point out the fact, that the track at that point is one of the best, that feed is easily obtained direct from the farmers, and if is also true, that the human tribe living in that sector, also fare well.

The Vineyard stable wintered well and when half or more ready to race, the campaigners were shipped to the mile track at Trenton, N. J. Trenton is not a fast track, but one of the best wet weather courses in the country making if a good place to leg horses up. Then too it is in direct line with the great Pari Mutuel meeting at Roosevelt Raceway, where the Vineyard stable played a prominent part. Up to September 15 the stable had won $26,615 at Roosevelt Raceway, ranking second among those that participated in that long meeting, a highly creditable record in itself.

At Lexington, Ky., when the season was practically at its close, Vineyard with other drivers recounted some facts not heretofore published in connection with his stable, that may be mentioned at this time with credit to this popular trainer of demonstrated ability. One of the accomplishments Paul noted was the remarkable showing of his three-year-old pacers. He said "I had six three-year-old pacers, that spent a part, or all of the season in my stable that did, or could beat 2:10 over a half-mile track. The sextette starts with Texas Hanover 3, p, 2:013/4 by Dean Hanover 3, 1:581/2-Hollyrood Susan 2:021/4 by Peter Volo 2:02, owned by Maurice White, Pittston, Md. After much hard racing the colt was turned for a Breeders record at Lexington, pacing to his mark of 2:013/4, he had previously won over the Roosevelt Raceway, half-mile track in 2:043/4. Elliott Hanover 3, 2:051/2 took his spring work in the Vineyard stable at Harrington. Owner, Windsor Wright of Federalsburg, Md., finding it convenient to his home and business to send the winner of the Reading Fair Futurity to Paul Vineyard at Harrington, although the colt was driven in the futurity by John Brown. A third high grade three-year-old pacer, Vineyard developed was High Command p, 2:07 by His Majesty 1:593/4, that won the two-year-old division of the Village Farm Stake at Saratoga a year ago, earning record of 2:093/4, and this season raced well, lowering his mark to 2:07. Paul had a good two-year-old pacer and a good two-year-old trotter this season, but in reminiscing, the leading equine character of his training and racing was the queen of the homestretch, Pick Up 3. 2:02 by Follow Up 3, 2:001/2. owned by Russell Hudson, Frankford, Del. An old experienced horseman made this remark, "It would do any man good to see Pick Up haul in her field through the last quarter." A number of times at Roosevelt Raceway, she would be back fifth, or sixth, at the five-eighths, then Paul Vineyard would begin to call on her. She practically always won the heat. She ranks as one of the gamest pacing mares of all time, perfectly mannered, easily rated and places to the will of her driver, the thought of all horsemen familiar with Paul Vineyard and his queen of the homestretch is that we have had few greater race mares or few instances of where a driver and his mount are so well suited to each other.

Few trainers have a more fortunate set-up than Paul Vineyard at Harrington, Del. The fair grounds track is adjacent to the Pennsylvania Railway, faces a trunk line highway. Horse provender direct from the grower, the track is good and it is apropos to state that Mrs. Vineyard is an expert accountant, which rounds out a very efficient harness horse training arrangement.

thespaah
08-26-2011, 06:57 PM
she was the only filly to win "the little brown jug". she was, without a doubt, one of the greatest ever. she died in ontario, canada on august 23,2011 at 33 years of age.

kQ02VZ5wM5s
Well she definitely had a full life. I remember seeing her race many times at the Meadowlands.

sonnyp
08-26-2011, 07:04 PM
good friend of mine, peter ruscitto, trained that string at the meadowlands for garnsey.

wilderness
08-26-2011, 09:09 PM
sonny,
I later stumbled across a reference that said Waller set a record with Fan at the Meadows.
Figured what I'd added previously was enough.

sonnyp
08-26-2011, 09:16 PM
sonny,
I later stumbled across a reference that said Waller set a record with Fan at the Meadows.
Figured what I'd added previously was enough.

hey don,

imho, waller was a better driver than garnsey. he was smaller and more athletic, but glenn was the boss you know.

pete ruscito was a good little driver also.

wilderness
08-26-2011, 11:45 PM
FWIW, two t's in "Ruscitto"

There was an owner named Frank Ruscitto, any idea if there's any relationship to Pete?

From Glen's 1974 USTA Handbook bio:

A great Uncle (on his mother's side) is responsible for Glen Garnsey's career in harness racing. It seems that when Glen was a 6-year-old his great uncle, a blacksmith by trade, bought a couple of standardbreds and the whole Garnsey clan followed him into the sport of harness racing. Glen's talented father, Garland Garnsey, "dug in a training track at the farm." In high school Glen was a star third baseman on the Clayton baseball team and an outstanding guard on the basketball squad. Before going into harness racing on a fulltime basis Glen tried farming, clerking in a store, and a tour as a deck hand on a cruise ship.

He drove his first race in 1950 at Saratoga, and won his first race that same year, a 2:18 trip behind Margaret Eblis at the Cobleskill Fair. For several seasons he was second trainer for his father, then in 1953 and 1954 his career was interrupted by a hitch in the Army. In 1963 Glen opened his own public stable and that year he reached the 100-win level, scoring a record 99 victories at Vernon Downs alone.

Then, in 1968, Glen joined Texas oilman Ken Owen as private trainer. While with Owen he developed several top colts and fillies including the sensational 2-year-old trotting filly Floribert. Also, duri n g this time Glen made a shambles of the Spring Trots driving race as he was in great demand as a "catch-driver". Late in 1969 Castleton Farm contracted Glen as private trainer, replacing Ralph Baldwin, who announced his retirement during the 1969 Fall Trots. Glen came to Castleton upon the high recommendation of Baldwin and Frank Ervin, another former Castleton trainer.
end of quote

Garland Garnsey, 70, prominent Standardbred owner, trainer, driver and breeder, died suddenly January 2, 1980, at his home, The Winter Haven Farm, Canton, N.Y. Mr. Garnsey began his harness career on the county fair circuit in 1938. He attained national stature in the 1940s and early 50s, then became a regular at Vernon Downs when it opened in 1953.

In 1968 Mr. Garnsey became the 45th driver in the history of the USTA to earn 1,000 career victories. He and his son Glen, a nationally recognized driver in his own right, became the first father-*son duo to achieve the sport's coveted "One Thousand" Club.

Recognized as one of the sport's top trainers and drivers of trotters, he recorded more than 1300 victories during his career and more than $1.5 million in purse earnings. He handled the great trotting mare Fresh Yankee during the latter part of her final season of competition (1972).
Some of his other well-known horses were Clever Boy, Syndicator, Concho Hanover, Bomb Call, Star Rosecroft, Clever Titan, Ray Nibble, Clever Ward and Clever Surprise, just to mention a few.

He was also a past director of the Harness Horse Association of New York and honorary member of the Vernon Downs chapter of the U. S. Harness Writers Association and a member of the Saratoga Old Timers Club.
Surviving are his wife, Florence; his mother Carrie; four daughters, Mrs. Phyllis Ashwood, Mrs. Shirley Comeau, Mrs. Elizabeth Patterson and Mrs. Carla Toomey; three sons, Eugene, Glen and John T; 19 grandchildren and four greatgrandchildren.