PDA

View Full Version : Detention for Provention

karlskorner
11-21-2003, 08:39 AM
http://opinions.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=19233

Is Califorina the only one with the problem ?

Louisville,Ky: A discussion regarding a uniform medication policy whereby Lasix would be the "only" medication given to horses on race day was met largely with "resistance" from Kentucky Trainers and Veterinarians in a meeting Tuesday at CD.

www.drf.com/news/article/51588.html

Their out there and "they" are the enemy

VetScratch
11-21-2003, 03:32 PM
If you total the cost of keeping a horse on a regimen that includes all the common banned substances (like EPO), it can add up to quite a tidy sum each month. The rub is... how do you bill owners for these illegal performance enhancers?

If everyone is running on illegal substances, they lose their premium as performance enhancers... so it becomes difficult for trainers to pay for drugs out of their own pockets (from gambling scores or their 10% share of purses).

If you transparently bill owners, you leave an incriminating paper trail (and any disgruntled owner can become a whistle-blower). Even if you disguise the billings or arrange under-the-table reimbursements, smart owners will stiff you unless you really get outstanding results. If owners stiff trainers on illegal costs, trainers really have no recourse. The attitude of most veteran owners is that trainers should accept all the risks... "don't involve me, but do whatever is necessary to keep my horses in your barn."

The petition being circulated among CA trainers may be a signal that excesses have finally killed the golden goose. It's about time!

Tom
11-22-2003, 11:43 AM
You get busted in a sting for buying drugs they confiscate your car and sell it to finance the war on drugs.
Maybe they should come with a way to confiscate the horse if drugs are found in the testing. This would need a lot of thought, but I bet some reasonable guidelines could be developed. "Hey, your horse tested positive for EPO. It's not your hore anymore. Go talk to your trainer."