PDA

View Full Version : Fallen Soldier & His Pal

bigmack
08-24-2011, 02:22 AM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/hawk.png

It's said Hawkeye laid there til they had to lead him away.

newtothegame
08-24-2011, 03:02 AM
Saw this earlier Mack......
Truly touching story. Guess someone knew what they were talking about when they said "man's best friend" !!

thaskalos
08-24-2011, 03:36 AM
We could learn alot from some animals...

Tom
08-24-2011, 07:45 AM
Man, that is sad.

Pell Mell
08-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Those stories really grab me. I love my dogs so much my wife thinks I'm nuts.

Here is my alltime favorite story of a faithful dog.

Greyfriars Bobby
Greyfriars Bobby is another dog who came to fame after his master died. John Gray died on February 8, 1858 in Edinburgh, Scotland, leaving very little behind except for a little Skye terrier named Bobby. The day after the burial, the curator noticed Bobby lying on the fresh mound of dirt. He immediately chased the little dog away, but the next day he was back. Again, the curator chased him day, but on the third day-despite the cold and the rain-Bobby was back. Finally, the curator took pity on the poor dog and allowed him to stay.

For the next fourteen years, Bobby kept constant watch over his owner's grave, rarely leaving except to take his noontime meal at exactly one o'clock. After a while, he came to be known as Greyfriars Bobby, after the cemetery in which his master was buried.

Bobby outlasted his master by fourteen years. When he died, he was buried just inside the gate at Greyfriars Kirkyard. He could not be buried with his master because it was consecrated ground. His headstone reads, "Greyfriars Bobby - died 14th January 1872 - aged 16 years - Let his loyalty and devotion be a lesson to us all."

Greyfriars Bobby may be gone, but he has not been forgotten. Shortly after his passing, a statue was resurrected in his honor. His story was also passed down and eventually a fictional version of the tale was published in a book titled Greyfriars Bobby by Eleanor Atkinson. In 1961, the book was made into a movie titled Greyfriars Bobby: The True Story of a Dog. Another movie was released in 2006 titled The Adventures of Greyfriars Bobby and starred Oliver Golding and Christopher Lee.

boxcar
08-24-2011, 12:24 PM
Yeah, these stores really tug at the strings of one's heart.

There was a movie, based on a true story, about a similar incident. As I recall, Richard Gere starred in it. He adopted this dog who got lost at a train station and the two became best friends. They became so close, the dog used to travel to the train station daily to wait for his master to come home from work. Then Gere died and the dog on continued to go to the train station to wait for his loving master to come home. Very touching story. The name of the movie was Hachi: A Dog's Tale. Very good movie.

Boxcar

JustRalph
08-25-2011, 12:29 AM
http://www.kimt.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=2773559

Dog is featured with about 50 seconds to go in the video

canleakid
08-25-2011, 01:58 PM
"LOYAL FOREVER"
Navy SEAL Jon Tumilson RIP