PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy football

DigitalDownsJoe
08-23-2011, 09:05 PM
Do any of you play fantasy football, and if so who are your "sleeper" picks this years..Who is the studs and who are the duds. Who will prosper with new teams, and who will be not like the new system??

My sleepers are..

Dez Bryant(got in great shape in the off season, and has Romo throwing to him now. He is a highlight reel!)

Ahmad Bradshaw(What else are the giants going to do other then hand this beast the ball?)

Mike Sims-Walker(Should flourish with Sam throwing him the ball)

Studs..

Peyton Manning(healthy addai and strengthened O-Line with Dallas Clark back means trouble for the AFC..No one is talking about them, if they stay healthy they could win it all!)

Jamal Charles(if KC is smart he will get the ball often as possible)

Tom Brady(Could he resurrect yet another career and put up MVP numbers again? I think so!)

Megatron(name says it all..Detroit is going to be good this year and fun to watch, This guy has it all, and I think he will outdo last years numbers)

Duds..

Sidney Rice(what is he thinking going to Seattle? Tavaris Jackson..really??)

Tim Tebow(people will hate me for putting him as a dud, but I still am not convinces he can do it in the NFL)

Donovan Mcnabb(going to get paid to hand the ball to AP)

My draft for my big league is Sunday, man I cant wait!! :cool:

Robert Goren
08-23-2011, 10:07 PM
My draft is Sept 1. So I have another round of preseason games to look at. It is a 10 team PPR league. Since I won it last year I draft 10-11 ect. Right now, I like Felix Jones and Best at RB as sleepers. I know he is an injury risk but McFadden woud be really tempting at the tenth pick if he fell to me.I like Collie and Manningham at WR a lot. Ochocinco and Burriss a couple of late round WRs I like. In a ten team league, I go for 3 RBs(1 for flex) Then a couple of WRs. I don't plan to a QB until I have at least 4 RBs(5 if I get McFadden) and 3 WRs. The one except would be if Vick fell to me at 10. If not, then I will pick between Eli Manning, Freeman, Fitzpatrick and Kolb. I would really like to get Kolb as the back up QB. I generally only start with TE and I don't take him until the 12th round. While they are not bad duds, these players will be taken too high: McCoy and both WR Jacksons. The player I see touted a lot is Mathews(SD RB), I just don't get it. If he still around in the 11th-12th round (and he very well could be), Hightower (WA RB) has a bunch of upside. Shanahan does wonders with RBs with just a little bit of talent.

Striker
08-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Sleeper--Josh Freeman (Qb) on Tampa Bay.

DigitalDownsJoe
08-23-2011, 11:33 PM
Anyone think Brandon Marshall can turn it around? I mean I know hes got Matt Moore throwing to him, but he is definitely one of the best talents in the league..He was a disappointment last year, wonder if he will slip to later rounds..HMMMM?? Who do you pick if you get number one??AP?? In my league its very balanced point wise for QB and RB and WR..makes it interesting and matchup oriented :)

Striker
08-23-2011, 11:46 PM
Anyone think Brandon Marshall can turn it around? I mean I know hes got Matt Moore throwing to him, but he is definitely one of the best talents in the league..He was a disappointment last year, wonder if he will slip to later rounds..HMMMM?? Who do you pick if you get number one??AP?? In my league its very balanced point wise for QB and RB and WR..makes it interesting and matchup oriented :)
If I got number #1 and the league was equally balanced like you say I would go with Rodgers on GB. He will be tearing the Bears, Vikes and Lions secondaries apart this season. Other Qb's would be Vick, Brady, Brees and Rivers obviously as high picks. As far as running backs go it is usually tough to repeat a great year rushing like Foster had on Houston as defenses will be focusing on him now but Chris Johnson did pretty well last year coming off his banner year 2 years ago. So running backs would be Foster, Peterson and I like Jamal Charles on KC to have a big year and Ray Rice and Johnson will be high picks also. TE's obviously Gates on SD is head and shoulders the best here but Witten on Dal and Finley on GB should have good years. Vernon Davis is a talent but is a bit of a head case imo.

DigitalDownsJoe
08-24-2011, 12:07 AM
I think Dallas Clark is a high risk/high reward guy..Manning loves him, and if he can keep from getting another concussion, he could out perform the other TE's..I would take Gates first, him 2nd with him being injury prone..

newtothegame
08-24-2011, 12:16 AM
LOVEEEEEEE Fantasy!!
With that being said there are several players I would target based on positioning, and value.
here are some ADP's from various mocks and drafts versus where I believe they should be ranked with some of the sites I use....
ADP Actual Rank Player
11 6 Mendenhall
19 12 H Nicks
38 26 T Romo
86 72 M Stafford
The above represents value......below I would be wary of overpaying for the following players...
ADP Actual rank Player
3 13 C Johnson (to delicate with contract)
91 119 Bradford (I need to see another year)
21 31 Brees
56 82 Ryan M
I have already had one of my drafts with another coming this Monday night. this monday night I have the overall 1st pick (ughhh I hate 1st). I am really down to Rodgers, or A Foster. A Peterson is always a safe pick, but I just feel there is more upside with foster.
My team I just drafted last weekend is as follows. 12 team must start 1 QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1PK 1DEF 1 Flex (either RB, WR TE)

Qb Rodgers ( I can NOT believe I got him at pick 8)
QB Stafford
RB S Jackson
RB L Blount
RB J Best
RB T Hightower
WR S Holmes
WR Manningham
WR Britt
WR Moss S
TE Pettigrew
PK Henerey
PK Bailey, D
Def Pittsburg
Def Oakland
WR

Robert Goren
08-24-2011, 08:03 AM
I do not like Pettigrew as long as Stanford is the QB, but if Stanford gets hurt and Hill is the QB, I love him. I like Holmes a little, I can't believe that they would pay him all that money and not throw him the ball, but I have seen it done. He is a second year on the team WR and generally they improve some. If you are in a PPR league Foster is clear cut #1. If not, then things are a bit more open.
I have always thought that leagues are won with the flex position. You need a RB in there most of the time. I haven't looked at the byes yet, but some times all most the good players at a position have the same bye. If you have it well covered you can pick up a cheap win. Good luck to you all.

DigitalDownsJoe
08-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Does anyone know if Bush is going to be returning kicks for miami?? My league you get points for punt return yards..I want to know which guys are definitely returning kicks this year.

elysiantraveller
08-24-2011, 09:30 AM
A couple of rookie's I really like are Mark Ingram and Julio Jones.

rastajenk
08-24-2011, 12:12 PM
AJ Green of the lowly Bengals should get plenty of chances. I'm not a fantasy guy, so I don't know how it translates to fantasy points, but he is clearly the most talented receiver on a low-talent team, and as such may be overlooked.

Striker
08-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Does anyone know if Bush is going to be returning kicks for miami?? My league you get points for punt return yards..I want to know which guys are definitely returning kicks this year.
It doesn't look like it as of now but you never know. Depth chart is Davone Bess--Clyde Gates--Phillip Livas. Livas and Gates handled all the kickoffs and punts in the Carolina preseason game. I gotta believe they are going to make Bush the "featured" back and will not jeopardized him gettin injured on special teams early in the season by having him return kicks and punts. Later on in the season, that could be a different story.

Robert Goren
08-24-2011, 01:47 PM
If Bush becomes the feature back with 20+ touches a game, He becomes a real fantasy force worthy of late first round or early second round pick.

Valuist
08-24-2011, 02:21 PM
My picks:

top RB: Jamal Charles. This guy has had an insane yards/carry last 2 years. My league has ypc bonuses; I know a lot don't. Safe pick: Peterson. Show me one more time: Arian Foster. Over the years we've seen a lot of one season wonders.

top WR: Calvin Johnson. An absolute beast and I look for the Lions to improve offensively. He's as big as a TE with WR speed. Larry Fitzgerald will probably be value. They actually have a legit QB after the nightmarish 2010 season.

top TE: Jason Witten. Too many rumors about Gates not being 100%. Dallas Clark is great too but coming off a major injury. Davis has the physical tools; just a bad QB throwing to him

top QB: Tom Brady. Rodgers had two concussions last year and worries me. I suspect Peyton's injury is worse than the Colts have let on. Vick cannot be counted on to play all 16 games. Brady is the safest bet.

Robert Fischer
08-24-2011, 04:10 PM
as much as I don't like him, mark sanchez has great receivers now to go with the great coaching and big guys. He should put up better statistics during the regular season than most would expect. However that value may or may not be cancelled out by jets fans.

I like Manning and Wayne for the reason that Peyton should have a big year and is being shaded by those worried about his neck. Wayne may be even better value(when allowing for availability and value/draft) as he could be a bigger factor in scoring than his pattern shows.

Ines Sainz is a great pickup for the sideline reporter position.

ManU918
08-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Sleeper--Josh Freeman (Qb) on Tampa Bay.

He had 25 touchdowns and only 6 interceptions last year and your calling him a sleeper?

Valuist
08-24-2011, 06:02 PM
as much as I don't like him, mark sanchez has great receivers now to go with the great coaching and big guys. He should put up better statistics during the regular season than most would expect. However that value may or may not be cancelled out by jets fans.

I like Manning and Wayne for the reason that Peyton should have a big year and is being shaded by those worried about his neck. Wayne may be even better value(when allowing for availability and value/draft) as he could be a bigger factor in scoring than his pattern shows.

Ines Sainz is a great pickup for the sideline reporter position.

Be careful with the Colts. Sounds highly unlikely Peyton will play in week 1. I would stay clear of the receivers too. Do you want a rusty 38 year old Kerry Collins throwing to you or a dreadful Curtis Painter?

Robert Goren
08-24-2011, 06:09 PM
Be careful with the Colts. Sounds highly unlikely Peyton will play in week 1. I would stay clear of the receivers too. Do you want a rusty 38 year old Kerry Collins throwing to you or a dreadful Curtis Painter?That gets more likely everyday. I still like Collie, but I am beginning to drop him a bit.

Striker
08-24-2011, 06:16 PM
He had 25 touchdowns and only 6 interceptions last year and your calling him a sleeper?
He was the 7th ranked QB in the fantasy football rankings last year and is at least that ranking by most ff outlets and players that I know this year. Rodgers, Vick, Rivers, Brady, Brees, Manning, Romo, Ryan, Schaub are all ranked ahead of him on most predicted polls and by most fantasy players. This puts him at #10 without Big Ben, Flacco, and Eli Manning. If you have him ranked higher then fine, but imo he could have a year that puts him easily in the top 5, possibly top 3, of fantasy points for QB's. If a player who is ranked #7--#10 for their position and in my opinion has the POTENTIAL to finish up over 5-7 spots higher, is that not a sleeper?

Robert Fischer
08-24-2011, 06:46 PM
Be careful with the Colts. Sounds highly unlikely Peyton will play in week 1. I would stay clear of the receivers too. Do you want a rusty 38 year old Kerry Collins throwing to you or a dreadful Curtis Painter?

agreed.

these are the types of things where you gain (or lose) points.

When the media is saying one thing, you have to go against once in a while unless you are playing very random clueless owners.

Manning is a natural and will put up big numbers. However - he's so popular that he might not slip as far as he should according to the idea that he'll miss a game and not be 100%... So he still may not offer value (much like Sanchez and Jets fans).

on the flipside, I expect Vick to have a significantly worse year than 2010. However this play-against only provides value if the owners in your league are eager to draft Vick.

I do like Reggie Wayne. Even if Manning misses a game, Wayne should end up with better numbers than his projections IMO.

Robert Goren
08-24-2011, 07:50 PM
On per game average in weeks where Vick started was 4 pts a game better than Rodgers by my leagues scoring rules. That is quite a bit. He could slip a little a still be the best QB. His running was the difference, but he was still close in only passing points. Rodgers was number 2. If you pass on Vick, you had better be right or he will hurt you even if you have Rodgers. I am a little concerned that late last year teams began limit him going to his left.
As of right now, Manning is a back up QB when you are drafting. I don't think you would want to start him until he put in a good game. At least that is the way I see it.

Robert Fischer
08-24-2011, 10:28 PM
you want to do a "just-for-fun/bragging rights" wager? Vick vs. Manning?

I'd say Manning will put up better total fantasy numbers this year.

On per game average in weeks where Vick started was 4 pts a game better than Rodgers by my leagues scoring rules. That is quite a bit. He could slip a little a still be the best QB. His running was the difference, but he was still close in only passing points. Rodgers was number 2. If you pass on Vick, you had better be right or he will hurt you even if you have Rodgers. I am a little concerned that late last year teams began limit him going to his left.
As of right now, Manning is a back up QB when you are drafting. I don't think you would want to start him until he put in a good game. At least that is the way I see it.

Robert Goren
08-24-2011, 10:33 PM
you want to do a "just-for-fun/bragging rights" wager? Vick vs. Manning?

I'd say Manning will put up better total fantasy numbers this year.You are on.

Robert Fischer
08-24-2011, 10:49 PM
You are on.
deal :ThmbUp:

Saints rookie RB Ingram is kind of interesting, I think he'll eventually be the workhorse there.

DigitalDownsJoe
08-24-2011, 11:25 PM
If I get the 1st pick, I'm picking Vick, since I wont be getting another pick until the 20th pick. I want to go for homerun potential..A lot of people forget that when you pick number, one its almost better to gamble instead of going with solid. If he fails, could be a miserably bad year but I'm willing to take the chance. :) This years draft should be very interesting with a lot of key moves and things shaken up. I am a believer in sophmore slumps and A Foster scares me a bit. I think teams will really zone in on him this year. If I remember right, he didnt have as good a 2nd half as he did first half last year. What do you all think of D Jax?? He is the human highlight reel..Love his big play potential, my league gives bonus points for long tds..He tends to get a lot of them.

Robert Goren
08-25-2011, 07:35 AM
If I get the 1st pick, I'm picking Vick, since I wont be getting another pick until the 20th pick. I want to go for homerun potential..A lot of people forget that when you pick number, one its almost better to gamble instead of going with solid. If he fails, could be a miserably bad year but I'm willing to take the chance. :) This years draft should be very interesting with a lot of key moves and things shaken up. I am a believer in sophmore slumps and A Foster scares me a bit. I think teams will really zone in on him this year. If I remember right, he didnt have as good a 2nd half as he did first half last year. What do you all think of D Jax?? He is the human highlight reel..Love his big play potential, my league gives bonus points for long tds..He tends to get a lot of them.My league gives bonus points for 40 yd pass plays. He still is not a #1 reciever there. He just doesn't get enough pass thrown to him. I owned Foster last year. There were a couple gains when Houston's defense put them behind and they didn't run the ball much in the fourth quarter. But Foster still scored big because he got the ball on swing passes. Foster is an easily the best RB in PPR leagues. Things get a little tighter in stanard leagues.
Ingram is interesting. I took a look at P. Thomas's best years and he would have to produce quite a bit more to be a real fantasy factor. Maybe he will, but I am from Missouri on him right now. If I see a preseason Saint's game and get a feel on they are going to use him, I might become a believer. I found Foster last year watching a preseason game.

Valuist
08-25-2011, 09:18 AM
Supposedly Manning hasn't even been throwing. If he misses opening week, there's a very good chance he could miss week 2 as well. And as great a player as he's been, at 35 can one expect him to immediately go to a Pro Bowl level when he does return? I'm sure he would EVENTUALLY, but he may have to get rid of the rust first.

I think the beneficiary will be Joseph Addai.

ManU918
08-26-2011, 10:27 AM
He was the 7th ranked QB in the fantasy football rankings last year and is at least that ranking by most ff outlets and players that I know this year. Rodgers, Vick, Rivers, Brady, Brees, Manning, Romo, Ryan, Schaub are all ranked ahead of him on most predicted polls and by most fantasy players. This puts him at #10 without Big Ben, Flacco, and Eli Manning. If you have him ranked higher then fine, but imo he could have a year that puts him easily in the top 5, possibly top 3, of fantasy points for QB's. If a player who is ranked #7--#10 for their position and in my opinion has the POTENTIAL to finish up over 5-7 spots higher, is that not a sleeper?

Maybe your definition of a sleeper and my definition of a sleeper are two different things. If you say Josh Freeman people are well aware of who that player is and have him on their radar. A sleeper to me is a player like Andre Roberts of the Arizona Cardinals. If you say that name to most people they will say who the hell is that.

Robert Goren
09-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Just finished my draft drafting 10th in a 10 PPR league

QB Kolb
QB Fitzpatrick
RB McFadden
RB F. Jones
RB Hightower
RB Addai
RB Tobert
WR M. Wallace
WR V. Jackson
WR Sims-Walker
WR Collie
WR M. Crabtree
TE A. Hernandez
K Janikowski
DEF Lions
The only player I missed out on that I really wanted was Best.

Rookies
09-05-2011, 10:21 AM

UPDATE (SE4):

A Colts source tells CBSSports.com's Mike Freeman that there is "potential" for Peyton Manning (neck) to miss 4-5 games "or more" to start the season.

The Colts originally thought Kerry Collins would play a game or two in place of Manning. That's no longer the case. "I can tell you the coaches are preparing for a longer period of life without Manning," writes Freeman. "They are hoping for the best but now fearing the worst." According to SI.com's Peter King, Manning is also dealing with a sore back. It's time to lower expectations for Reggie Wayne, Austin Collie, Pierre Garcon, and Dallas Clark. Kerry Collins is now on the radar as a low-end QB2.

Valuist
09-06-2011, 10:07 AM
UPDATE (SE4):

A Colts source tells CBSSports.com's Mike Freeman that there is "potential" for Peyton Manning (neck) to miss 4-5 games "or more" to start the season.

The Colts originally thought Kerry Collins would play a game or two in place of Manning. That's no longer the case. "I can tell you the coaches are preparing for a longer period of life without Manning," writes Freeman. "They are hoping for the best but now fearing the worst." According to SI.com's Peter King, Manning is also dealing with a sore back. It's time to lower expectations for Reggie Wayne, Austin Collie, Pierre Garcon, and Dallas Clark. Kerry Collins is now on the radar as a low-end QB2.

I think there is a legit possibility he is out all season. Like I said on the other thread, at his age and with all his accomplishments, would it be worth it to come back?

DigitalDownsJoe
09-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Worth it to come back? He still has pieces all around him for another ring. Plus he is the most competitive player in all of football. He redefined studying defenses. He will be back around week 4/5 maybe the monday night game against tampa.

cj's dad
09-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Worth it to come back? He still has pieces all around him for another ring. Plus he is the most competitive player in all of football. He redefined studying defenses. He will be back around week 4/5 maybe the monday night game against tampa.

No knock against Manning, but that statement is impossible to prove.

Bettowin
09-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Brett Favre to the Colts? LOL

Someone had to say it:)

Valuist
09-06-2011, 02:22 PM

Would you? If you already had a Super Bowl ring, already had 3 MVP trophies, already had a place as one of the top 5 QBs in history, would you risk it? His dad is a smart guy and I'm sure he'll listen to what Archie's take is.

As for the Super Bowl, with Peyton being out multiple games, home field advantage is out. The Colts are a team that would HAVE to have HFA to advance far in the playoffs. With their 2011 squad, I don't see them going into New York, Pittsburgh or New England and winning in January. And you could conceivably add Baltimore and San Diego to that list.

Beachbabe
09-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Anyone have ESPN as their Fantasy League? They seem to be having problems already with their gamecast. No Redzone colors; no brightening colors of the players that are in-play. Wrong logos for defensive teams.

Beachbabe
09-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Anyone have ESPN as their Fantasy League? They seem to be having problems already with their gamecast. No Redzone colors; no brightening colors of the players that are in-play. Wrong logos for defensive teams.

Looks like they got it straightened out.

DigitalDownsJoe
09-13-2011, 03:05 PM
How did you all fair this week. I had a bad week, points wise but somehow still managed to win..I cringe seeing all 3 of my backs not getting the ball inside the red zone. (Moreno McFadden and Bradshaw) I hope Freeman picks it up, he looked horrible in week 1. Vick, Megatron, and Dez Bryant should keep things good for me though :)

DigitalDownsJoe
09-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Brett Farve/Carson Palmer/anyone but Kerry Collins...Man he looked horrible :(

Valuist
09-13-2011, 03:55 PM
I think Houston's defense is a good pickup. This is not the defense they had in 2009. Last year their big impact players like Ryans, Williams and Cushing all missed time with injuries. Wade Phillips is an excellent d-coordinator and while a sizeable falloff was expected by the Colts offense this past week, its hard to imagine them looking THAT horrible.

elysiantraveller
09-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Lousy week points wise but I too managed to pick up a win. Thanks Plaxico!

Matty Ice is going to need to really step it up this week. Also with Colston injured I am trying to pick up Devery Henderson off of waivers.

Robert Goren
09-13-2011, 05:52 PM
I had decent week but lost to the only team that had a higher points total in my league. We added a second flex player after the draft. I choose a 1pt WR instead of Tobert. Otherwise I win easy. I always draft well, but manage like I pick horses.

Valuist
09-13-2011, 11:16 PM
I lost 115-114 despite having Janikowski going on Monday night. Any FG over 50 yards is treated the same. There should be an additional bonus for any FG over 60 yards.

DigitalDownsJoe
09-15-2011, 03:01 PM
In my league its 3 for up to 39 yarders 40-49 is 4 pts and 50 or more is 6 points..We had one matchup where Wes Welker broke that 99 yarder to beat my other friend and we were all sitting at a bar, and it was so crazy..The guy with Welker was screaming loud I NEED A MIRACLE GO BABY GO...Surely enough he won by one point..Pretty crazy week, I had a terrible week and won so it worked out. My team needs to pick it up this week as I have some bad matchups..

I lost 115-114 despite having Janikowski going on Monday night. Any FG over 50 yards is treated the same. There should be an additional bonus for any FG over 60 yards.