PDA

View Full Version : Darn you Charles Town - racing order

Qstick333
08-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Now that have become fascinated by the Pick 4 I am becoming more and more annoyed with the racing order at Charles Town - which is the track I am most familiar with. The 2yo maidens full of firsters are never the first race of a pick 4, which seems to make it even more challenging when you cannot look at the board and the will pays. I have zero insight into the 2yo racing and have always passed them until the Pick 4 has caught my attention...

Ughhh.......

Saratoga_Mike
08-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Now that have become fascinated by the Pick 4 I am becoming more and more annoyed with the racing order at Charles Town - which is the track I am most familiar with. The 2yo maidens full of firsters are never the first race of a pick 4, which seems to make it even more challenging when you cannot look at the board and the will pays. I have zero insight into the 2yo racing and have always passed them until the Pick 4 has caught my attention...

Ughhh.......

What's CT Pick 4 pool been avg'ing? I looked a few months ago, and I think it was few thousands dollars, making a fair payout less likely if you happen to hit a few long-priced horses in your sequence. And your point about not starting with the maidens is exactly right--call the racing office and explain your position.

Qstick333
08-23-2011, 05:22 PM
What's CT Pick 4 pool been avg'ing? I looked a few months ago, and I think it was few thousands dollars, making a fair payout less likely if you happen to hit a few long-priced horses in your sequence. And your point about not starting with the maidens is exactly right--call the racing office and explain your position.

Thanks for the reply Mike. I was actually in the midst of drafting a letter to the racing office as that is a bit more my style. Of course, I'd be happy to meet in person and discuss, but I doubt they would have an interest in that meeting.

The pool has been about 4k for the first P4 an 6k for the back P4. As I am new to the Pick 4's and am working my way through Crist's book along with changing my handicapping a bit, I'd love for you to elaborate on the payout points in your post.

It has been an interesting experience going from a vertical to a horizontal (I think that is the correct terminology) bettor, but with a 2 year old and another on the way, it makes it a bit easier to handicap at night and only have to adjust to conditions and scratches etc...

Thanks,

Zach

trying2win
08-23-2011, 05:37 PM
I admire more the PA member who will also take the time to complain (with a phone call, email or visit in person) to the racing manager about their racetrack policies, if they happen to disagree with them. Just complaining here at this site won't do much to change a horse racing policy you don't like.

I think it's also a good idea to offer one's ideas to the racing manager for improving their racing policies. If a racing policy is then changed to suit the customer better, and also improves the racetrack's bottom line at the same time with improved parimutuel handle, it then becomes a win-win situation for both.

T2W
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
~"Most people can do extraordinary things if they have the confidence or take the risks. Yet most people don't. They sit in front of the telly and treat life as if it goes on forever.”

--Philip Andrew Adams

Saratoga_Mike
08-23-2011, 06:16 PM
QS - that Crist book is great. Good luck with your letter.

Qstick333
08-23-2011, 07:12 PM
QS - that Crist book is great. Good luck with your letter.

Thanks, I am enjoying it so far and it definitely has me thinking about arrangements and such.

Referencing your earlier post - what is the proper pool amounts that I should be looking at? I grew up near Charles Town and have quite detailed records at the goofy distance of 4.5f and I've been through a ton of the quirky 2 turn 6.5f races so I am comfortable there. I also play Delaware and Md. racing, but not as often.

I'd really love to hear your thoughts about this...

Zach

Qstick333
08-23-2011, 07:15 PM
I admire more the PA member who will also take the time to complain (with a phone call, email or visit in person) to the racing manager about their racetrack policies, if they happen to disagree with them. Just complaining here at this site won't do much to change a horse racing policy you don't like.

I think it's also a good idea to offer one's ideas to the racing manager for improving their racing policies. If a racing policy is then changed to suit the customer better, and also improves the racetrack's bottom line at the same time with improved parimutuel handle, it then becomes a win-win situation for both.

T2W

Thanks. There i no point in whining and complaining if you aren't willing to attempt to implement change. I am a strong believer of that and do what I can.

BEst wishes,

Zach

Saratoga_Mike
08-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Thanks, I am enjoying it so far and it definitely has me thinking about arrangements and such.

Referencing your earlier post - what is the proper pool amounts that I should be looking at? I grew up near Charles Town and have quite detailed records at the goofy distance of 4.5f and I've been through a ton of the quirky 2 turn 6.5f races so I am comfortable there. I also play Delaware and Md. racing, but not as often.

I'd really love to hear your thoughts about this...

Zach

My guess is the pool needs to be at least $15k to $20k in order for the bettor to be properly rewarded over time. But that is a guess, and I'm there are people here who are much more qualified to answer your question than I am. I'm sure they'll will chime in.

Steve Crist often makes your point about the placement of maiden races (with lots of firsters) that are in Pick 4s or 6s on his blog, so you're in good company.

Some_One
08-23-2011, 08:19 PM
Del Mar have been putting their races full of firsters in the 2nd leg of the P6 all meet long.

mountainman
08-24-2011, 11:25 PM
When possible, I card 2-yr-old races with first time starters during daylight. A career debut can be mind-blowing enough for a baby, without the potential confusion of shadows and lights.

BombsAway Bob
08-24-2011, 11:45 PM
When possible, I card 2-yr-old races with first time starters during daylight. A career debut can be mind-blowing enough for a baby, without the potential confusion of shadows and lights.
WV-Bred races are often a puzzler for me, & as a bettor i feel a little more comfortable when they are the carded as the First leg of a Double or Pick-3, so at least i can get an idea if any are 'live',much like 2YO maiden races.

mountainman
08-24-2011, 11:54 PM
WV-Bred races are often a puzzler for me, & as a bettor i feel a little more comfortable when they are the carded as the First leg of a Double or Pick-3, so at least i can get an idea if any are 'live',much like 2YO maiden races.

Yes, I take that into account, Bob, but there can be other, overarching factors to consider when laying out a run-down

proximity
08-25-2011, 12:59 AM
if there is a john casey firster running, i'd single it, otherwise i wouldn't get too crazy with my tickets. if you have two singles (at least one of which isn't a ml fav) you could consider hitting the all button or at least going a little deeper than normal in the maiden race.