PDA

View Full Version : East Coast Quake (all quake threads merged)

Tom
08-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Capital building in DC evacuated, shocks felt up and down the coast.
And all the scoundrels are out of DC for vacation! Drat!

Was this caused by the Dow bottoming out?
Breaking news.....

Quake, Irene, when do the locusts arrive?

ManU918
08-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Who else just felt that? I thought someone was walking on my roof I ran outside and then realized the earth was still shaking.

turninforhome10
08-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Holy shit, sitting at my desk in Heshey Pa everything started to shake USGS ates in Virginia see link
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/at00lqe6x3.php

bigmack
08-23-2011, 02:02 PM
Easties ain't cut-out for quakes. Ninny's running out of buildings. I hear Eric Holder wet himself and was the first out.

sonnyp
08-23-2011, 02:03 PM
only the good die young. those bastards live forever

DJofSD
08-23-2011, 02:03 PM
That was a small one by west coast standards.

It needs a name. How about Bush's fault?

P.S.: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/at00lqe6x3.php

IRISHLADSTABLE
08-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Hello All,
My whole house shook scared the shit out of me
Hope all PA family is ok

castaway01
08-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Hello All,
My whole house shook scared the shit out of me
Hope all PA family is ok

The house shook here in southern NJ but nothing even fell off the walls. We're fine but it was a strange feeling. Hope everyone closer to the center is okay.

DJofSD
08-23-2011, 02:13 PM
I'll be looking for any information about the CIA and NSA data centers and if we have a national security crisis of some degree.

firstoffclaim
08-23-2011, 02:16 PM
felt it on Long Island, very weird

mountainman
08-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Alone in dungeon office at mountain, floor rippled like ocean waves, grandstand tried to buckle, lasted about 30 seconds.

eastie
08-23-2011, 02:24 PM
f uckin a....felt it in east boston

Robert Fischer
08-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Any races go off during?

from the post times looks like delaware park just missed it.

mountainman
f uckin a....felt it in east boston

Must have been a big one somewhere.

the little guy
My place in Saratoga was shaking.

Saratoga_Mike
08-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Easties ain't cut-out for quakes. Ninny's running out of buildings. I hear Eric Holder wet himself and was the first out.

This is true - we are not! Four 'quake threads - will someone start a fifth?

showbet
08-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Must have been a big one somewhere.
Washington (CNN) -- An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 5.9 struck Tuesday in northern Virginia, the U.S. Geological Survey said. The quake, which struck at 1:51 p.m., was felt in Washington, in Richmond, Virginia, and as far away as North Carolina and New York, witnesses reported.

Complete story (http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/23/virginia.quake/index.html)

Just before the start of the 4th race at The Meadows the two gentlemen doing the broadcast said "the entire building is shaking".

mountainman
08-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Washington (CNN) -- An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 5.9 struck Tuesday in northern Virginia, the U.S. Geological Survey said. The quake, which struck at 1:51 p.m., was felt in Washington, in Richmond, Virginia, and as far away as North Carolina and New York, witnesses reported.

Complete story (http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/23/virginia.quake/index.html)

Just before the start of the 4th race at The Meadows the two gentlemen doing the broadcast said "the entire building is shaking".

Tx. Hoping nobody hurt.

ManU918
08-23-2011, 02:44 PM
I'm in Philly and thought someone was on my roof jumping up and down. Never experienced anything like it before.

Mike at A+
08-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Holy shit, sitting at my desk in Heshey Pa everything started to shake USGS ates in Virginia see link
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/at00lqe6x3.php
Felt it here in Allentown, PA. "Holy shit" were my exact words when it happened.

elhelmete
08-23-2011, 02:47 PM
was at Santa Anita once during a little one, and race was running (backstretch). horses were fine, but I was aware of how "unfun" it felt under the grandstand roof! some old buildings out there

Tom
08-23-2011, 03:12 PM

It is HELL here, Mac....the damage will take us weeks to fix!
We're gonna need some help with this one.

BlueShoe
08-23-2011, 03:20 PM
Heavy media coverage on this event, all the TV and radio stations are on it. Preliminary report states that it was a 5.9 quake. Heck, out here in California that would be considered just a gentle cradle rocker one. ;) It is not only the Far West that has an earthquake threat, some Mid West and Eastern areas have a surprisingly high potential.

ArlJim78
08-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Not much on the Richter scale compared to Japan, but I'm sure we'll come out way ahead of them in terms of looting.

BlueShoe
08-23-2011, 03:26 PM
It needs a name. How about Bush's fault?
Either that or blame it on the Tea Party. :rolleyes:

highnote
08-23-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm in Southwestern Connecticut -- about 20 miles from the Bronx. Didn't feel a thing. Damn. I wish I would've felt at least a little something.

OTM Al
08-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Thought the ceiling they were fixing on the floor below me had collapsed. Work in a "brownstone" on Washington Sq North in NYC, circa 1832, so any major earthquake would roll the whole row out into the street. Just a quick thump that left the chandeliers rocking a bit.

ShenanigansGirl
08-23-2011, 03:43 PM
The ground shook a bit here in 'Toga. I am renting an apartment in a house that resembles 1313 Mockingbird Lane, so I had a reasonable fear that the whole place would come crashing down. Nothing like that happened, but it was an interesting afternoon for sure!:eek:

Robert Goren
08-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Heavy media coverage on this event, all the TV and radio stations are on it. Preliminary report states that it was a 5.9 quake. Heck, out here in California that would be considered just a gentle cradle rocker one. ;) It is not only the Far West that has an earthquake threat, some Mid West and Eastern areas have a surprisingly high potential.I heard that Californians sleep through 5.9 earthquakes.;)

DJofSD
08-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Pinch o' salt over the left shoulder.

woodtoo
08-23-2011, 04:43 PM

Call the authorities Tom,looks like your tables' been assaulted.

Actor
08-23-2011, 04:45 PM
There was a quake in Colorado this morning. Why is the media not covering that? Is Colorado not as important as Virginia?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44237629/ns/us_news/?ocid=ansmsnbc11#.TlQQ3l1KpIE

BlueShoe
08-23-2011, 05:48 PM
There was a quake in Colorado this morning. Why is the media not covering that? Is Colorado not as important as Virginia?
Good point, your post was the first mention of it that I have seen. Not trying to make light of what could have been a tragedy, but it is rather amusing to watch Easterners run around in circles in a panic over something that many in the West consider not that big an event. Have already heard a couple of snide remarks and jokes along these lines on local media.:) It was reported that when the quake hit, Obama was on the golf course. He was informed and then continued his game. Not reported was whether or not he was irritated at having his vacation interrupted. :rolleyes:

DJofSD
08-23-2011, 05:58 PM
CO is part of fly-over country.

fast4522
08-23-2011, 06:33 PM
Fox News just reported that the earthquake originated at Obamas Fault.

cj's dad
08-23-2011, 07:28 PM
reported in Baltimore. I was on the 11th floor of a downtown office building. Within a few minutes the fire alarm went off which locked down the elevators. All of the building occupants had to evac via the stairwell. The panic mode among most was surreal. The religious folks were praying for salvation such as "Oh Lord Jesus save me from this, I will not sin again" to "WTF be happnin here, git my ass out this buildnin'".

I hollered "it must be Bush's fault", what the hell, he is blamed for everything else. Anyways, a few old buildings have damage and the best part is that since I am renovating a city office building, DAY OVER AT 2 pm !!

Hope all are well.

Grits
08-23-2011, 07:51 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44237629/ns/us_news/?ocid=ansmsnbc11#.TlQQ3l1KpIE

Sadly, no it isn't, just ask any Virginian. They and their population, they firmly believe, are more important than any other state.

EOC

Grits
08-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Good point, your post was the first mention of it that I have seen. Not trying to make light of what could have been a tragedy, but it is rather amusing to watch Easterners run around in circles in a panic over something that many in the West consider not that big an event. Have already heard a couple of snide remarks and jokes along these lines on local media.:) It was reported that when the quake hit, Obama was on the golf course. He was informed and then continued his game. Not reported was whether or not he was irritated at having his vacation interrupted. :rolleyes:

On Martha's Vineyard, his golf ball, most likely, didn't even get shaken off of its tee. He stroked right on. Who cares?

Blue Shoe, you're right us East Coast folks, especially Southeast, haven't been in any earthquakes worth noting, but then, too, I'd bet a whole lot of money as a California resident that you haven't been in too many hurricanes that brought water up to the second floor of your home with the National Guard air lifting your butt out of it in the middle of the night. And I ain't talking Katrina.

Mother Nature's tough, she still calls the shots, no matter how insignificant mankind may believe them to be. Or, how many snide remarks we inject. She can bring us back to her realization, quickly.

canleakid
08-23-2011, 08:13 PM
My niece in Manhattan said it was "scary" but she is ok :ThmbUp:

BlueShoe
08-23-2011, 09:05 PM
I'd bet a whole lot of money as a California resident that you haven't been in too many hurricanes that brought water up to the second floor of your home with the National Guard air lifting your butt out of it in the middle of the night. Now those kind of things make me right unfortable. Give me a good old fashioned quake any time rather than a 'cane or twister. In a quake at least you know within a very short time whether or not you are dead. Have had a bit of experience with ugly weather though. Once rode out a severe winter storm in the Bering Sea and the other time caught the tail end of a Pacific typhoon. Both times were at the behest of the US Navy when I was riding a destroyer.

JustRalph
08-23-2011, 09:17 PM
Try experiencing the quake in a hospital

No fun at all. Some patients got up from their beds grabbed their IV poles and ran out into the parking lots

Relwob Owner
08-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Sadly, no it isn't, just ask any Virginian. They and their population, they firmly believe, are more important than any other state.

EOC

:ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

Grits
08-23-2011, 09:29 PM
BlueShoe, I'd rather be anywhere than in the Bering Sea on a destroyer. The dip, lurch, and hurl would do me in--no doubt about it.

There is something horrible about hurricanes, though, and one of the worst is the waiting. Its long and its scary when you know its bearing down, strengthening and widening, while heading your way. Hurricane Floyd hitting Carolina in 1999 was my worst nightmare. But a tornado, they're the worst of all.

Grits
08-23-2011, 09:34 PM
:ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:
I apologize Relwob, you're exempt. I figured you for one a bit more far north. Not all believe this way, but many that I've met and known, even my own relatives that live there do.

Again, I'm sorry.

Relwob Owner
08-23-2011, 09:38 PM
I apologize Relwob, you're exempt. I figured you for one a bit more far north. Not all believe this way, but many that I've met and known, even my own relatives that live there do.

Again, I'm sorry.

No worries Grits.................gotta stick up for my state!:)

turninforhome10
08-24-2011, 12:09 AM
All I need now is a wildfire and a locust plague and I have experienced it all. 6 tornadoes a mesocyclone, 2 hurricanes, massive blizzards and biblical flooding and now an earthquake. You can outrun all of them except an earthquake. That was some wild shit. My co worker from Los Angeles called us pussies and said they would not even get of school. :lol:

bigmack
08-24-2011, 12:11 AM
MSNBC running hard with a common theme after a 5.8: Are Our Nuclear Facilities Safe? Not unlike they did after the Japanese incident.

They're using this as an opportunity for us all to pensively reflect on the safety of nuclear energy. :lol:

What dishonest fools.

hcap
08-24-2011, 06:37 AM
Some dry comments

New York earthquakes are better because of our thinner crust.

Obama WH announces contingency planning for Locusts, Frogs, Potomac running red.

Text "You spilled your chai latte" to 90999 to donate $1 to the victims of the U.S. East Coast earthquake.

Earthquake in DC. Do not panic. A Super Committee will be formed to at some point possibly decide what to do.

SORRY LIBYAN REBELS, THE GROUND OVER HERE SHOOK FOR LIKE 15 SECONDS. GOOD LUCK W/ EVERYTHING, WE DON'T CARE ANYMORE.

Tom
08-24-2011, 07:50 AM

Was that the magnitude or Obama's new approval rating on the economy!
Remember when the quakes were higher than the unemployment rates?

joeprunes
08-24-2011, 09:01 AM
Speaking of 5.8 I was curious if any races ran nearest to virginia and sure nuff 3rd at delaware at 2:10 5,8 excata

Tom
08-24-2011, 09:05 AM
So the quake was really God getting a bet down!

OTM Al
08-24-2011, 09:13 AM

Steward's inquiry. Some thought it was a 5.9 but then the results stood.

turninforhome10
08-24-2011, 10:25 AM
The winner of that 3rd was Little Bang (Irony). The winner of the second was Brushwiththedevil. Would God bet the double? :lol:

Mike at A+
08-25-2011, 09:40 AM
The National Geological Society of America just reported that the rumbling we all felt on Tuesday was NOT at earthquake. The disturbance was attributed to the Founding Fathers rolling around in their graves.

cj's dad
08-25-2011, 09:54 AM
The Baltimore area, and I would think other areas, was hit with a 4.5 aftershock this morning at 1:00 AM.

Hurricane due this weekend.

Tom
08-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Locusts Tuesday......

elysiantraveller
08-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Closer and closer to the Zombie Apocalypse....

GameTheory
08-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Can't give the Easterners too much grief for being wimps -- an earthquake in the East travels much much farther (because the ground is mostly soft sediment -- those waves just go and go) and so it feels much bigger for a much larger area. (I also understand this was a very shallow quake, close to the surface, which also enhances that effect.) In order to really feel the magnitude in California, you have to be right on top of the epicenter. A Western quake would've been confined to a much smaller area, and so when there is a 5.9 in California, you won't feel much from 100-200 miles away. I lived in Burbank during the Northridge quake -- that was obviously big (destroyed buildings and freeway overpasses in L.A. if you don't remember), but we felt smaller ones quite often usually centered out in the desert somewhere and they were no big deal. Luckily we lived on very hard ground at the base of small mountain -- in the soft ground of the valley the waves in the ground are so big they were throwing people into the air. I thought it was fun, but with some people getting crushed, etc, it kinda ruins it. And even with the smallest quake, there are always a few that immediately get incredibly freaked out and drop dead of a heart attack. (Which is a response I can't relate to, but some people just get incredibly terrified in a instant at the slightest tremor even if they are in a safe place.) There were many at the time that refused to go back and live in their houses for weeks/months -- they were out in the parks in tents...

Light
08-25-2011, 11:05 AM
an earthquake in the East travels much much farther (because the ground is mostly soft sediment

What I've heard is the reason the quake travels farther on the east coast is because the east coast is all on one plate. West coast has more than one plate. That's also why there is more activity on the west coast.

DJofSD
08-25-2011, 11:50 AM
What I've heard is the reason the quake travels farther on the east coast is because the east coast is all on one plate. West coast has more than one plate. That's also why there is more activity on the west coast.
Right. Mostly granite.

West coast has the Pacific and North American plates slipping past one another. That boundary is called the San Andreas fault and is quiet a sight to see from the air.

As far as how far or close you may be and feel a quake, there are a lot of variables. I've felt quakes while in San Diego that occurred in the Ridgecrest area of the Mojave Desert. Then there have been others in the local Rose Canyon fault I have not felt at all.

As to the 1971 quake, I drove through the area where the overpasses had fallen less than a week after it happened. Amazing.

GameTheory
08-25-2011, 01:14 PM
What I've heard is the reason the quake travels farther on the east coast is because the east coast is all on one plate. West coast has more than one plate. That's also why there is more activity on the west coast.Yes, also true. In California the wave dissipates when it hits another fault line, and there are a lot of them.

ceejay
08-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Significant intra-cratonic (mid-plate) earthquakes are not common but not unheard of. Nor do we understand them very well. One of the biggest occurred in Missouri about 200 years ago.
http://newmadrid2011.org/

Sugar Ron
08-25-2011, 04:41 PM
Surf's up in Palm Beach...

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/florida/palmbeach/

Tom
08-26-2011, 07:44 AM
I got this update on the quake this morning.....
The Weather Channel says the earthquake was caused by an unknown fault line running under D.C. and through Virginia. It is now being called Obama's Fault. Some think it was the Founding Fathers rolling over in their graves! Obama will say it's really Bush's fault.

Breaking News:
Seismologists have confirmed that it really WAS an earthquake and NOT the $14.6 Trillion check bouncing on the East Coast