PDA

View Full Version : Sunday NY Times

Cholly
08-22-2011, 10:54 AM
The sports section of the Sunday New York Times featured a lengthy (3 entire pages!) article tracking a day in the life of Todd Pletcher and describing the management of a 200+ horse stable. It was nice to see a mainstream media piece on the business of horse racing that featured a lot of detail (with good graphics) and that was not 90% fluff.

cj
08-22-2011, 11:00 AM
The sports section of the Sunday New York Times featured a lengthy (3 entire pages!) article tracking a day in the life of Todd Pletcher and describing the management of a 200+ horse stable. It was nice to see a mainstream media piece on the business of horse racing that featured a lot of detail (with good graphics) and that was not 90% fluff.

Imagine how busy his day would be if his horses lasted more than three races!

Cholly
08-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Imagine how busy his day would be if his horses lasted more than three races!

I was thinking the same thing. I just reread the article before hauling it out for tomorrow's recycling pick-up. It described TAP's father, "J.J. Pletcher is everything his son is not--salty, gregarious, quick to make fun of himself". I thought that was a clever way of saying that TAP himself might be one of the last people you'd want to have a beer with. But if the reporter was not enthused about Pletcher's personality (or lack thereof), he waxed about his over-the-top passion for his horses and his family...and those are good things.

(btw, CJ, can we assume you were in attendance at Sunday's extravaganza for the Lebowski blu-ray release? Buscemi, Goodman, and Bridges boogied down the red carpet that was said to "really hold the room together".

TheGhostOfOscarB
08-22-2011, 10:32 PM
You'd be humorless too if you were paying $500 a haircut every three days.