PDA

View Full Version : NFL - publicity

highnote
08-22-2011, 01:39 AM
Remember at the beginning of last year there was some kind of really dumb penalty called by a ref at the beginning of the season that got a ton of publicity.

Well this year the dumb penalties are about players hitting too hard. WTF? Now that players command multi-million dollar salaries they are too precious to get hit?

Or is this the NFL's way of getting some publicity at the start of a new season?

Maybe I'm just cynical, but this reminds me of all those stolen sex videos of various celebrities "leaked" in order to get free publicity. Much ado about nothing.

Let's see if they make the same call in the Super Bowl.

redshift1
08-22-2011, 03:44 AM
Coming soon "Minority Report" enforcements where penalties are based on non-contact intention, 10 yards for imagining unabated to the quarterback.

Valuist
08-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Remember at the beginning of last year there was some kind of really dumb penalty called by a ref at the beginning of the season that got a ton of publicity.

Well this year the dumb penalties are about players hitting too hard. WTF? Now that players command multi-million dollar salaries they are too precious to get hit?

Or is this the NFL's way of getting some publicity at the start of a new season?

Maybe I'm just cynical, but this reminds me of all those stolen sex videos of various celebrities "leaked" in order to get free publicity. Much ado about nothing.

I don't think the NFL needs publicity. When you have multiple networks that have PREGAME shows that are several hours long, you can't get too much more.

Maybe if they declared opening Sunday a national holiday. If you think I'm being cynical, I'm not. It wouldn't shock me if it happened. As big as opening day is in MLB, that would never happen. NBA? Are you serious?

DigitalDownsJoe
08-22-2011, 01:40 PM
I think the league should let them play unless it us a seriously late hit or something really dirty like spearing WR's across the middle defenseless. If the owners wanna shell out 60 million, getting injured should be a part of the risk. They all make waaaaayyyy too much money. Its sickening. The ones who make super bank, make almost as much in endorsements as well. I remember when signing a 10 million dollar deal was unheard of..Now its close to 100 million. I mean really??Has anyone gotten decent seats to an NFL game? Try dropping close to 800 for a family of 4. Its gotten out of hand. Dont get me wrong I love the game and I love watching NFL football. I would be more about the NCAA if any teams actually played defense(with a few exceptions) I say let them hit, and let them DANCE! LOL

Robert Goren
08-22-2011, 02:01 PM
I am getting a little tired of defensive player whining about not being able to put on an injuring causing hit on an offensive player that people pay money to see. Defensive players are the most protected cry babies in sports. If they get cut blocked they cry all over the place about it endangering their careers, but they want to be able end a WR career with a blow to the helmet. Give me break.

DigitalDownsJoe
08-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Robert I agree...The tough guys are the ones taking the hits not the ones giving them Defensive players are generally cry babies.. :D

Striker
08-22-2011, 03:53 PM

Are you talking about the Bears/Lions opener where Calvin Johnson let the ball out of his hands too soon? As a Bears fan even I think they should have allowed that TD and change that rule.

highnote
08-22-2011, 05:13 PM
Are you talking about the Bears/Lions opener where Calvin Johnson let the ball out of his hands too soon? As a Bears fan even I think they should have allowed that TD and change that rule.

That's the one! I couldn't remember what it was.

It was such a stupid call that it had to be a publicity stunt. Well, at least that's what it seemed like.

BlueShoe
08-22-2011, 06:27 PM
More great publicity for the NFL after Saturdays exhibition game between the Raiders and 49ers. Shootings and fights, just your ordinary football game.:rolleyes: Plenty of links and videos on the web for any wishing to delve deeper.