PDA

View Full Version : Jose Lezcano does it again

toussaud
08-21-2011, 02:28 PM
all he had to do was keep her wide. that was his only job, keep her out of trouble and make a run. second time he as gotten her beat like this IMHO

theguarantee
08-21-2011, 02:31 PM
They surely didn't make it easy on him. The way the :7: blew past, not sure why you think if she was wide every step of the way she would have won. Clearly, with room she was making the lead and maybe she would've won, but she had a clear run and just flattened out. Loved the :7: last night and talked myself out of betting anything today with all the rain, oh well.

toussaud
08-21-2011, 02:32 PM
she did not have clear run.

I'm not going to so far to say she was a lock or antyhing but she wasn't even given a fighting chance with that trip IMHO

Some_One
08-21-2011, 02:39 PM
She was clear for the final 1.5F on the rail, and if she had the finishing kick that a couple of people here were claiming were so great, she would have done better than 4th

TravisVOX
08-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Rallying inside is never what you want to do, but I think the other riders took it to them and did so well. He never really had a chance to move outside and be clear and the few strides where he did, she didn't have the punch. And even if she did, I don't think it would have mattered.

cj
08-21-2011, 02:43 PM
all he had to do was keep her wide. that was his only job, keep her out of trouble and make a run. second time he as gotten her beat like this IMHO

If he keeps her wide, she might have been 5th. She is one of the most overrated horses I've seen in a long time.

redshift1
08-21-2011, 02:48 PM
WM tossing her head on the backstretch plus all over the track in the stretch. Who knows where she might have finished with a clear trip but clearly not as sharp as her last victory. Wonder where WM goes from here.

classhandicapper
08-21-2011, 03:21 PM
WM had an eventful trip, but I think the rest of the riders deserve some credit (blame?) for that. They had her surrounded and blocked for most of the race. There was a lot of race riding in that one.

It's almost impossible to determine a bias off one race (especially on turf) but it looked to me like Lezcano had some horse until he took her to the rail in the stretch. That might have been the dagger. Her rally kind of stalled after that. Bellamy Star backed up badly inside. It's always possible either the footing wasn't as good inside because of the rain or she simply didn't want to rally inside horses.

I think she's a very good turf filly, but I think she's been hyped a bit anyway.

Does anyone think she would be competitive in Europe on turf?

toussaud
08-21-2011, 03:32 PM
I do but i think 9F might be further than she really wants to run. I think she can run with anyone at a mile

cj
08-21-2011, 05:31 PM
The excuse that may be valid is the soft turf. But, she'll be odds on again next out anyway, so I'm not looking to give her an excuse.

toussaud
08-21-2011, 05:49 PM
The excuse that may be valid is the soft turf. But, she'll be odds on again next out anyway, so I'm not looking to give her an excuse.
she had soft turf in the miss grillo

Dexter M
08-21-2011, 06:00 PM
all soft turfs are not the same

classhandicapper
08-21-2011, 06:10 PM
I don't have all her trips noted.

Does anyone recall her rallying really well along the rail or between horses in any of her races?

I'm not convinced that was the issue, but I'm not convinced that she was totally comfortable in there or that the footing was equal in there either (especially because the inside speed was a decent horse that finished last with a slow pace).

If she had finished 2nd, I'd be comfortable with the loss. But she finished 4th and got out kicked late. That seems too bad to believe.

Broad Brush
08-21-2011, 07:05 PM
I knew when I watched this race today I was going to log on here to see that
Jose got all of the blame for her loss.

I played P4s leaving WM out. I thought she was very beatable today.
I needed Kathmanblu--so I lost to an improving Hungry Island-but had the
exacta.

I don't think WM likes this type of turf. Her race at 2 on a yielding track
looked good but was actually very slow. A lot of horses with a big late kick
prefer firmer ground.

As for her not liking being "inside horses"--that does not bode well for her
as a top class grass horse. Most races are run where they are bunched up until
the stretch. You can't win at the top if you are always wide on the turns.

I would not draw final opinions on her until she gets a firm turf at Belmont.

Jasonm921
08-21-2011, 08:30 PM
I agree with Broad Brush that most turf horses with a big turn of foot like a firm course to bounce off of. I think she stays on course and moves on to the next race. That is what makes racing great...the variables that are thrown at the bettor.