PDA

View Full Version : Apple killing HP slowly but surely

JustRalph
08-21-2011, 02:05 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/18/technology/hp_pc_spinoff/index.htm?hpt=te_bn1

The HP Tablet is dead....... WebOS is dead.......and some got lucky enough to get the HP Touchpad for 99 bucks............

ManU918
08-21-2011, 12:28 PM
I personally couldn't imagine buying any type of product that has to do with technology (phone, laptop, desktop, ipad type product) other then Apple. They are so much better IMO.

PaceAdvantage
08-21-2011, 11:17 PM
I'm still tempted by the HP Slate 500...everyone says to wait for Windows 8 in terms of a viable Windows-based iPad alternative, but I have some custom software I am still running that probably won't work on Windows 8, which is the first version of windows that I can remember that won't be backward compatible with a lot of stuff that really isn't all that old...

JustRalph
08-22-2011, 12:46 AM
I am about to pull the trigger on a windows tablet.....the Hp slate is getting decent reviews........but I hear acer has a couple new ones in the pipeline.

Going to wait just a while longer I think

highnote
08-22-2011, 01:11 AM
I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tablet. It's not too bad, but to be honest, I use it mainly as a wi-fi hot spot for my laptop when I'm traveling.

The iPad has way cooler apps. The garage band app for 5 bucks is awesome. I haven't found anything nearly as good for the Samsung.

I hear Flipboard for the iPad is pretty cool, too. Supposedly, 10% of iPad users use Flipboard.

Steve Jobs is pretty remarkable. Too bad he hired that Skully guy. What would Apple be today had Jobs never left?

I started out with an Apple in the 80's and then switched to PC because the the PCs were cheaper and had more software. Now, it may be time to switch back to Apple - though, I don't think the Macs will ever be cheaper than PCs.

One big drawback for tablets -- no keyboard. That limits them. So basically, with the iPad you've got a glorified Kindle -- although, it's pretty awesomely glorified.

Robert Goren
08-22-2011, 07:29 AM
How much does HP miss Mark Hurd? Firing him was dumbest thing they did since hiring Carly Fiorina.

ManU918
08-22-2011, 08:23 AM
I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tablet. It's not too bad, but to be honest, I use it mainly as a wi-fi hot spot for my laptop when I'm traveling.

The iPad has way cooler apps. The garage band app for 5 bucks is awesome. I haven't found anything nearly as good for the Samsung.

I hear Flipboard for the iPad is pretty cool, too. Supposedly, 10% of iPad users use Flipboard.

Steve Jobs is pretty remarkable. Too bad he hired that Skully guy. What would Apple be today had Jobs never left?

I started out with an Apple in the 80's and then switched to PC because the the PCs were cheaper and had more software. Now, it may be time to switch back to Apple - though, I don't think the Macs will ever be cheaper than PCs.

One big drawback for tablets -- no keyboard. That limits them. So basically, with the iPad you've got a glorified Kindle -- although, it's pretty awesomely glorified.

You get what you pay for. I don't think I am alone when saying that Apples are well worth their price tag. Going from a PC to an Apple is like going from a Ford Taurus to a BMW M5.

JustRalph
08-22-2011, 12:38 PM
How much does HP miss Mark Hurd? Firing him was dumbest thing they did since hiring Carly Fiorina.

You mean the guy who paid a billion bucks for Palm and Palm OS/WebOs?

you know, the guy who approved the Touchpad build. The one they canceled after a month and sold all the product out for $99 bucks over the last few days?

The Billion bucks for Palm plus and what is being described as 30 million in development costs for the touchpad, sound like a huge failure to me......

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/latest-gadgets/content/after-hp-abandons-webos-touchpad-tablet-prices-sliced-low-99

Robert Goren
08-22-2011, 01:05 PM
You mean the guy who paid a billion bucks for Palm and Palm OS/WebOs?

you know, the guy who approved the Touchpad build. The one they canceled after a month and sold all the product out for $99 bucks over the last few days?

The Billion bucks for Palm plus and what is being described as 30 million in development costs for the touchpad, sound like a huge failure to me......

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/latest-gadgets/content/after-hp-abandons-webos-touchpad-tablet-prices-sliced-low-99 May that as it may. the stock did go up quite a bit during his tenure and has gone down quite a bit after he left. The big question is after they spin off the PC business, can they make it as software company?

DJofSD
08-22-2011, 01:26 PM
The iPad is destine to become the same as the city plan for Bill the Galatic Hero.

Canarsie
08-22-2011, 02:49 PM
The one thing I have learned in the computer industry is nobody usually stays on top for more than lets say a dozen years. Even though it's not hardware who would have thought an idea like Groupon would be worth billions after the dot.com crash.

Apple was on top in the beginning with VisiCalc leading the way. They decided to replace Jobs with Sculley and chaos ensued over the next decade even when they were profitable. Google erupted out of nowhere it was really word of mouth how this great new search engine was back then.

Most of the modem companies from that era have come and gone. I still have books from the 80's here a front cover front 1984 these names mean nothing to most.

I would suspect the next threat to Apple and Google aren't even a thought yet. Here's some pics from some of the pioneers including Ken and Roberta Williams who took the gaming to another degree in that era.

DJofSD
08-22-2011, 02:55 PM
The one thing I have learned in the computer industry is nobody usually stays on top for more than lets say a dozen years. Even though it's not hardware who would have thought an idea like Groupon would be worth billions after the dot.com crash.

Apple was on top in the beginning with VisiCalc leading the way. They decided to replace Jobs with Sculley and chaos ensued over the next decade even when they were profitable. Google erupted out of nowhere it was really word of mouth how this great new search engine was back then.

Most of the modem companies from that era have come and gone. I still have books from the 80's here a front cover front 1984 these names mean nothing to most.

I would suspect the next threat to Apple and Google aren't even a thought yet. Here's some pics from some of the pioneers including Ken and Roberta Williams who took the gaming to another degree in that era.
A pop quiz: define BUNCH (this is open book).

Canarsie
08-22-2011, 03:11 PM
From Creative Computing 1984

Canarsie
08-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Wouldn't take two here's the other.

Actor
08-23-2011, 01:11 PM
I don't think the Macs will ever be cheaper than PCs.That's because Macs are not, and never will be, low end computers. :cool:

reckless
08-25-2011, 07:48 AM
A pop quiz: define BUNCH (this is open book).

Burroughs
Univac
NCR
Control Data
Honeywell

I recall reading a Fortune Magazine article and reading about that acronym thinking it was so cool.

I also recall deciding to NOT buy any of those company's stock when I was looking to buy my first stocks oh so many years ago. Probably one of the few smart things I ever did.

DJofSD
08-25-2011, 07:59 AM
Correct.

How long have there been computers?

Native Texan III
08-25-2011, 08:52 AM
Macs and PCs are different animals.
Both serve different markets and customer needs
One is closed hardware and software and expensive at all stages but works well.
One is open to both including more open source software, can handle heavier application loads, if needed, and is half the price but works equally as well.

Today, both perform extremely well for both types of users.
In a couple of years both types will be near obsolete as cloud computing takes over.

As far as change goes, then that is happening again with mobiles.
The perceived wisdom is proved once again to be wrong.

"Android continues to extend its lead as America’s most popular smartphone operating system. According to The NPD Group, a leading market research company, Google's Android operating system (OS) continued to dominate U.S. smartphone market share, accounting for 52 percent of units sold in the second quarter (Q2) of 2011. Like Android, Apple's iPhone OS (iOS) experienced slight quarterly gain rising to 29 percent in Q2; however, BlackBerry OS share fell to 11 percent, as Windows Phone 7, Windows Mobile, and webOS held steady at less than five percent of the market each.

Microsoft’s Windows Mobile suffered a similarly brutal decline, falling from 10 percent in Q2 2010 to four percent in Q2 2011. And, suffice it to say, Windows Phone 7 didn’t quite offset the difference.

NPD says that our sales data, insight on entertainment trends, and industry analysis are based on both point-of-sale (POS) and consumer panel market research. Leading companies use this data and insight to uncover emerging needs and consumer behaviors and explore entertainment trends"

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/News/1159/android-lead-as-america’s-most-popular-smartphone-operating.aspx

DJofSD
08-25-2011, 08:55 AM
To a degree, cloud computing is hype.

reckless
08-25-2011, 09:49 AM
Correct.

How long have there been computers?

I don't know the real correct answer to that one DJ...

... but you can say the infamous UNIAC machine with its' 1000s of flashing and burning light bulbs that was the result of research at U. of Pennsylvania in late 1940s/early 1950s. Transitors was the baby that started it all. To say there is more computing power in today's $1.99 Wal Mart calculator than in UNIAC is not much of an exaggeration.

From that initial research team begat Bell Labs in Princeton, NJ, which some say was the country's very first 'Silicon Valley'-type research organization.

I have read at times that the old looms and dies that were used for the manufacturing of cloth, clothes, rugs, etc., was in essence our first 'computer'. I can't say for sure since I am not that bright and I was also not there in the late 17th century but that sounds great to me nonetheless.

And to go even further back in time, the abacus was probably the 'first' computer of sort being a counting machine that has some history, tracing back in time as far as 2000 years B.C.

I am pretty sure there are much better answers than the above I've submitted and I look forward to reading some posts from some more qualified group members.

DJofSD
08-25-2011, 11:39 AM
I didn't necessarily ask about machines. The original computers were people.

reckless
08-25-2011, 12:19 PM
I didn't necessarily ask about machines. The original computers were people.

I thought you did, DJ (meaning machines). I simply misunderstood you then.

DJofSD
08-25-2011, 01:04 PM
Sorry, it was a trick question.

Canarsie
08-25-2011, 02:06 PM
Pair of leaked tablets hit the internet as enthusiast rush to finish streamlined port

http://www.dailytech.com/Reports+TouchPad+Gets+First+Taste+of+Android/article22546.htm

Flysofree
09-01-2011, 02:28 PM
None of the horse racing programs that I have will run on an Apple...so I'm told.

JustRalph
09-01-2011, 03:19 PM
None of the horse racing programs that I have will run on an Apple...so I'm told.

you can run windows on an apple though.........

Flysofree
09-01-2011, 03:23 PM
you can run windows on an apple though.........

So, let me see if I understand this. Not being a smart ass..I am simply not knowledgable about computers. I would buy an Apple computer then take it somewhere that downloads windows software into it.???

JustRalph
09-01-2011, 03:56 PM
So, let me see if I understand this. Not being a smart ass..I am simply not knowledgable about computers. I would buy an Apple computer then take it somewhere that downloads windows software into it.???

a couple of ways to do it. here is a primer:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2344661,00.asp

there are other ways........

here is one

http://www.parallels.com/

lots of options actually............. I am seriously considering it........

if I ever find time I might do it on my Mac Mini

PaceAdvantage
09-02-2011, 03:56 AM
I'm still tempted by the HP Slate 500...everyone says to wait for Windows 8 in terms of a viable Windows-based iPad alternative, but I have some custom software I am still running that probably won't work on Windows 8, which is the first version of windows that I can remember that won't be backward compatible with a lot of stuff that really isn't all that old...Forget the HP Slate...I have found my dream Windows Tablet, and it is to be released early next month:

http://thisismynext.com/2011/08/31/samsung-series-7-slate-specs-release-date-hands-on/

http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-series-7-slate-700t_Laptop_review

Actor
09-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Correct.

How long have there been computers?Assuming that "computer" means a stored program calculating machine, Charles Babbage designed one around 1820, but was never able to build it. He had a grant to build it but could not resist improving the design as he went along and, as a result, never finished it.

Babbage's machine was built in 1991 (or thereabouts) by a group that just wanted to show that it would work. It was of no practical use. By the way, I believe the Babbage machine was steam powered.

The ENIAC project was approved by the War Department in 1942 shortly after approval was given for the Manhattan Project. They were unable to get the machine running before the way ended. Various people have claimed credit for inventing the computer in the 1930s. At least one lawsuit was decided in such a claimant's favor but the 1930s machines were in no way the digital machines we know today.

bigmack
09-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Forget the HP Slate...I have found my dream Windows Tablet, and it is to be released early next month:

http://thisismynext.com/2011/08/31/samsung-series-7-slate-specs-release-date-hands-on/

http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-series-7-slate-700t_Laptop_review
Gee you're fickle. That beast starts at $1100. :eek:

Z3WxW9sGyAY

PaceAdvantage
09-03-2011, 06:09 PM
That's $300 more than the HP Slate 500, but worth every penny when you compare the specs...

JustRalph
09-03-2011, 06:43 PM
At a half inch, and 2 pounds I might just have to wait and see what is next

PaceAdvantage
09-03-2011, 06:53 PM
At a half inch, and 2 pounds I might just have to wait and see what is nextSome say it is under 2lbs. For the processor, screen size and specs, that's pretty damn good...

I'm still waiting on the actual dimensions...can't find them anywhere...

Canarsie
09-04-2011, 06:56 AM
I never thought I would say this but the desktop PC as it's known now will be "dead" within 5 years probably quicker.

To think I still have my Windows 95 floppy disk set and had to mess with the config.sys and autoexec.bat to make it run on some machines. :lol:

PaceAdvantage
09-04-2011, 05:42 PM
I never thought I would say this but the desktop PC as it's known now will be "dead" within 5 years probably quicker.Nah...if that were true, they wouldn't be selling keyboards and docking stations with these tablets.

How long have we been told the desktop PC is going the way of the dodo bird?

Canarsie
09-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Nah...if that were true, they wouldn't be selling keyboards and docking stations with these tablets.

How long have we been told the desktop PC is going the way of the dodo bird?

True but those are accessories where today its a standard part. I remember when Dragon Naturally Speaking first came out and that was predicted. But my phone (2 years old) as of today can understand 90% of my muddled speech. People will be talking instead of typing five years down the road.

Plus you must be getting up in years like me :lol: the young folk always adapt to the new technology much quicker.

Seriously did you ever think ten years ago there would be racing apps on a cell phone to bet at a particular track? If you did your my hero.

Flysofree
09-04-2011, 06:55 PM
I don't know what it is about the laptop or non-desktop computers, but FOR ME not having a hand held mouse makes the experience some type of olympic exercise...

JustRalph
09-05-2011, 04:47 PM
http://allthingsd.com/20110831/parallels-desktop-for-mac-review/

Read the article and watch the video......very interesting stuff

DJofSD
09-22-2011, 07:55 AM
Possible shake up at the top of HPQ. Stay tuned.

JustRalph
09-22-2011, 08:30 AM
47 % loss in the stock price since theman took over

Bought Palm for billions and then threw it in the dumpster

He is toast

DJofSD
09-22-2011, 02:27 PM
The board gets some heat: http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/hewlett-packard-implosion-continues-hapless-board-prepares-fire-161056433.html?sec=topStories&pos=1&asset=&ccode=

DJofSD
09-24-2011, 09:48 AM
Meg has her work cut out for herself: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Atop-Meg-Whitmans-worries-HPs-apf-1900675836.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=3&asset=&ccode=

What a tremedious waste of time and money if she ends up retracing and/or undoing some of the changes from the last decade.

I guess this is a good example of a company having an identity crisis. Every day it asks itself 'what do I want to be today?'