PDA

View Full Version : Grand Jury probe ends in PA: no jail for DD

Nacumi
08-20-2011, 09:27 AM
And no more training in PA, either. Wonder what the rest of the fallout will be? Stay tuned.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/08/former_penn_national_race_cour.html

proximity
08-20-2011, 01:27 PM
this, actually, was the important part of the article:

Also, the jury recommended that the racing commission investigate trainer Stephanie Beattie, president of the Pennsylvania Horsemen’s Benevolent and Protective Association.

The jury based that recommendation on testimony from another trainer who claimed Beattie’s employees subjected horses to electric shocks before races to make them run faster.

i'm shocked!!:eek:

TonyK@HSH
08-20-2011, 03:45 PM
this, actually, was the important part of the article:

Also, the jury recommended that the racing commission investigate trainer Stephanie Beattie, president of the Pennsylvania Horsemen’s Benevolent and Protective Association.

The jury based that recommendation on testimony from another trainer who claimed Beattie’s employees subjected horses to electric shocks before races to make them run faster.

i'm shocked!!:eek:

Proximity,

Don't read too much into those recommendations. If there was evidence the grand jury would have taken action. Allegations from competing trainers do not prove anything. Let's see how everything plays out- the truth will prevail.

TonyK

proximity
08-20-2011, 05:35 PM
- the truth will prevail.

don't bet on it.

i just don't see the big deal about darrel delahoussaye. if mr gill could still run, then some other trainer would be 18% for him.

Stillriledup
08-20-2011, 06:59 PM
No Jail, huh?

Hmmm, ok.

proximity
08-21-2011, 10:48 PM
No Jail, huh?

Hmmm, ok.

nope, no jail. tony is probably right that this thing is pretty much over.

but lol @ the day when the state ends live racing at pen and the only way to make money on racing in grantville will be to pack into the simulcast theatre with smoke blowing in your face and win it through the pools.

now tony is a great handicapper, but even he'll need more than the 1/2 percent and a free program that penn national gives to the horseplayers that kept the place open when they were down on their knees begging for slots.

and i'm not sure what truth will prevail, but the truth that is prevailing is that the confidence simulcast handicappers nationwide have in the integrity of pennsylvania racing is circling the bottom of the toilet.

davefulche
08-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Is that what the awful rebate worked out to 1/2 percent? I used to bet thru Penn National OTW and then their online site...till I grew tired of their awful customer service and attitude at the Reading OTW. Heard recently they arent evening letting some of the oldtimers pay a buck for a photo copy of one track's PPS. Awful business.

proximity
08-22-2011, 12:32 AM
Is that what the awful rebate worked out to 1/2 percent? .

generally 0.3-0.6 %. the rebate for "gold" members may be slightly higher and they get $25 of food per day, but of course food there is very expensive. hell, it's well over $2 for a small coffee alone. coffee should be like 75 cents. I WONDER HOW MUCH IT COSTS ON THE BACKSTRETCH??

when they finally pull the plug on racing i can see the horsemen's welfare continuing with special horsemen's discounts to enter no-limit hold 'em tournaments for anyone who held a racing license during the final decade of racing. or maybe they'll deal the horsemen three cards in cash games.

Citation1947
08-22-2011, 05:37 AM
Don't read too much into those recommendations.

No Jail, huh?

Hmmm, ok.

don't bet on it.

And this is why some people are afraid to come forward and speak out about the abusiveness that takes place in this industry. Nothing ever really gets done and then it's their livelihoods that is in the shitter.

Hundreds of horses have suffered, abused and just plain disappeared between the butchery of Hooper, Adamo, Delahoussaye, Cole Norman and their puppet master, Mike Gill, and no justice for them it appears.

proximity
08-22-2011, 03:01 PM
And this is why some people are afraid to come forward and speak out about the abusiveness that takes place in this industry. Nothing ever really gets done and then it's their livelihoods that is in the shitter.

the handle from people like me, tony, and i imagine stillriledup (don't know him personally) are why people at penn national still have livelihoods. at least it once was. today the charity of the state is the reason.

Mineshaft
08-22-2011, 04:30 PM
once his probabtion is over he will be a puppet trainer off the farm

TonyK@HSH
08-22-2011, 04:31 PM

Hundreds of horses have suffered, abused and just plain disappeared between the butchery of Hooper, Adamo, Delahoussaye, Cole Norman and their puppet master, Mike Gill, and no justice for them it appears.

Citation- While I cant speak about most of the names you noted I must come to the defense of Tim Hooper.
I've had the opportunity to watch Tim in action and there is not a horseman around who cares more about their stock. He is genuinely a good horseman and a great individual. While Mr. Gill had his problems at Pen, I never found any evidence that Tim was involved, nor did the grand jury include Tim in their investigation.

TonyK

Citation1947
08-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Citation- While I cant speak about most of the names you noted I must come to the defense of Tim Hooper.
I've had the opportunity to watch Tim in action and there is not a horseman around who cares more about their stock. He is genuinely a good horseman and a great individual. While Mr. Gill had his problems at Pen, I never found any evidence that Tim was involved, nor did the grand jury include Tim in their investigation.

TonyK

Tony you weren't at Elk Creek when Hooper trained there, I was. You train for Gill, you do as Gill tells you. And training for Gill means you have to throw your ethics out the window. You sell your soul for the price of having such a large stable. Things may be different now with Tim, but the fact is while with Gill, he wasnt anymore innocent then the rest of those guys.

proximity
08-22-2011, 11:30 PM

TonyK

i took this post as a hint that we were supposed to bet lion by my side ($50.60) tonight!!:jump:

turninforhome10
08-23-2011, 12:43 AM
D D was walking around the back side at Penn National looking for any job he could find 3 days later he training for Gill, I witnessed that. Guess Gill finally got his resume.
Penn National being my home track is an enigma for what is wrong with racing. Poor pre race inspections, jocks are primaddonas, track maintenance is lousy at best. Gill just went to where the gettin was easiest makes sense as businessman (if you have the ethics of a pit viper)