PDA

View Full Version : Fun OTB interview

jognlope
08-19-2011, 01:13 PM
With Durkin this morning. He gave out a little secret in interview of him by OTB: The day before Smarty Jones was to run in the Belmont he bought a surveyer's tape and measured out 31 lengths on the rail and marked it. The race finish was "deflating" he said and NY Times called his call of it "the most non-celebratory race call of all time."

slew101
08-19-2011, 02:22 PM
This has come up before, and I think most people don't dislike his Birdstone call, even though I did. It's not the announcer's job to root home a horse, or act disgusted when they lose.

Trevor Denman did the same thing in the 2010 Classic.

With Durkin this morning. He gave out a little secret in interview of him by OTB: The day before Smarty Jones was to run in the Belmont he bought a surveyer's tape and measured out 31 lengths on the rail and marked it. The race finish was "deflating" he said and NY Times called his call of it "the most non-celebratory race call of all time."

Linny
08-20-2011, 12:49 AM
Jeff Carle and producer Mick Richards did a great job with this piece. It was fun an informative.

Though Tom surely wanted Smarty to win, it was not his job to sound dejected over the upset.

The Hawk
08-20-2011, 07:20 AM
Jeff Carle and producer Mick Richards did a great job with this piece. It was fun an informative.

Though Tom surely wanted Smarty to win, it was not his job to sound dejected over the upset.

Are we going to get a Tom Durkin thread every time he opens his mouth? We get it, you think he's so great he pees champagne. Others think he's well past his prime. Enough already.

Linny
08-20-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm not a big Durkin fan. I am complimenting the piece that Jeff and Mick did. The race after the one they watched/recorded for the piece, Durkin biffed the winner's name throughout the call.

jognlope
08-20-2011, 09:33 AM
I like him and he adds something to the race calls.

ManU918
08-20-2011, 09:44 AM
I think Durkin's 2004 Belmont call was perfect. There are definitely times I dislike Durkin's calls but that wasn't one of them.