PDA

View Full Version : Mountain 9

lamboguy
08-16-2011, 10:38 PM
its looks like they have a problem. the 1 is supposed to be declared a non starter, but the 1A ran second.

i have no idea what to do

Gapfire
08-16-2011, 10:44 PM
Maybe the assistant starter should have let go. LOL

Gapfire
08-16-2011, 10:45 PM
No change. After all that. :D

lamboguy
08-16-2011, 11:34 PM
they just recently allowed entry's on regular races. i just think they didn't know the rules for entries. they probably never had this problem. if they declared a the 1 non starter what were they going to do with the 1a?

Stillriledup
08-17-2011, 03:04 AM
they just recently allowed entry's on regular races. i just think they didn't know the rules for entries. they probably never had this problem. if they declared a the 1 non starter what were they going to do with the 1a?

A non starter is equivalent to a scratch. If the 1 was 'scratched' the 1a still races parimutually.

MONEY
08-17-2011, 09:59 AM
A non starter is equivalent to a scratch. If the 1 was 'scratched' the 1a still races parimutually.
#1 Trippin' Away was not scratched or declared a non-starter.
Had he been declared a non-starter, the half of the entry that ran would have run for purse only.

picojim
08-17-2011, 01:33 PM
#1 Trippin' Away was not scratched or declared a non-starter.
Had he been declared a non-starter, the half of the entry that ran would have run for purse only.

i thought that was only a NYRA RULE

Some_One
08-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Hawthorne has that rule, Woodbine doesn't just off the top off my head.

jeebus1083
08-17-2011, 03:56 PM
I was shocked to find that the #1 was not declared a non-starter, but it's easy to see that prior to the gate opening, the #1 was causing his own problems, and that the assistant starter had the horse in hand so that nobody could get killed.

It's a tough call. However, if one half of the entry is declared a non-starter, the other half should only be allowed to run for purse only to protect the public. The reality is that in many cases, one of the horses coupled might be a hopeless longshot. If I bet the coupled entry with the intention of the play being on the "right" half of the entry, and that horse is declared a non-starter, I'm stuck with a bum who realistically is 10 lengths slower than the potential winner. The right thing to do is for the stewards to allow the other half to run for a purse only, and bar that one from the wagering. Unfortunately, this can backfire on the bettors who successfully use the #1/#1A in their wagers. If the horse still in the race hits the board, and then the stewards declare the #1 a non-starter, and the #1A is declared a starter for purse only, all WPS, Ex, Tri, Sup, Pick wagers using the #1 are either null and void, awarded a small conso, or given the Post Time favorite, which can either help you or hurt you depending on the outcome.

It's a no-win situation either way you look at it.