PDA

View Full Version : America community Survey.....WTF lol

newtothegame
08-12-2011, 01:42 AM
Wanted your guys and galls take on this "survey"....
I have been to the census site to see if it's real, and yes, unfortuneately it is...
Ran by the Census department no less....:lol:

I get a call from a lady from the CENSUS department last week. Asking me about returning my "survey". Honestly, I probably tossed the damn thing lol. This time of year with elections, poltitical calls, junk mail galore...this is probably what happened although I do not actually remember getting it specifically.
Anyway, the lady starts asking me name, address, etc etc....So I ask her her name address etc etc. Initially I was just being funny and sarcastic. Though, it became apparent she didnt appreciate the humor.
Noticing this, I didnt appreciate another damn census. I thought we only did the census once every TEN years???
Well it seems this survey is done RANDOMLY, on a monthly basis (or so she said).
I explained to her that I was NOT going to answer ANY questions regarding pay, insurances, or just out and out crazy questions that were I felt were not needed.
Questions: Or a few to give you thought process.
1. Name
2. How many in household (didnt they just get this from the census not long ago) lol
3. ages....(I answered "I do not wish to answer") which would become a reoccuring theme.
4. type of plumbing?
5. Kitchen sink with running water?
6. operating toilet?
7. Outhouse?
8. have I paid income taxes in last month, week, day? ( I thought this was the government?? Wouldnt they see or have access to my pay???) lol
9. Do I have Flood insurance? (again a government sponsored program)
10. Stove?
11. How many room excluding hall ways, foyer, ( I didnt know halls were considered rooms lol)
12. gas bill amount?
13. electric bill amount?
14. food bill amount?
lol the list went on for like twenty minutes for EACH member in my house. Absolutely hillarious for me by the end of the call......
Needless to say the ONLY questions I gave an answer too was name and how many in household. I don't think they were to happy with me with all the (Do not wish to answer) replies and the ever growing laughter after each question.....
What do you guys think?? Of the survery? ACS....anyone else ever get this??

Tom
08-12-2011, 07:35 AM
You should have given her John's address! :lol:

Robert Goren
08-12-2011, 07:43 AM
I think you can join the "I was scammed by someone claiming to be from the census over the phone" club.

BlueShoe
08-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Have wondered just how many of these phone "surveys" are actually legit public opinion polls, since I never answer them and cut the caller off at the start, firmly but politely. My assumption has always been that they are scam attempts or just a ruse that will end with a sales pitch. As for the actual 2010 census, answered only two or three of the questions on the form. Every other answer was a big fat N/A. Mailed it in and never heard another word from them. So much for the threats of follow up visits for those filing an incomplete census form. If I should ever be contacted via phone by an actual Fed rep like the OP, my answers will either be Not Applicable or Decline to State, provided I answer at all and do not cut off the call. As a person in a state of near revolt against government control and intrusion, would not respond to any threats or intimidation attempts.

The Judge
08-12-2011, 10:45 AM
I filled out my census answered most of the questions even many of the ones that I didn't see how it would help the government, mailed it in on time.

A guy comes by months later asking me about a 4th apartment. I told him that the building had been redone years ago (in the middle 80's) and now there is only 3 apts.

He then wanted me to sign a statement that there was no longer a 4th apartment. I said that my job was to finished after I completed and handed in the census. He went on and on about how much this information meant and was needed.

He came back at least 2 more times and I get periodic calls haven't had a call in some time but the next call will be number 4.

newtothegame
08-12-2011, 03:15 PM
I think you can join the "I was scammed by someone claiming to be from the census over the phone" club.

Actually Robert, it was legit. I called the census and they verified it. I thought the scam too....but no, it's real. Very real!

boxcar
08-12-2011, 04:19 PM
I filled out my census answered most of the questions even many of the ones that I didn't see how it would help the government, mailed it in on time.

A guy comes by months later asking me about a 4th apartment. I told him that the building had been redone years ago (in the middle 80's) and now there is only 3 apts.

He then wanted me to sign a statement that there was no longer a 4th apartment. I said that my job was to finished after I completed and handed in the census. He went on and on about how much this information meant and was needed.

He came back at least 2 more times and I get periodic calls haven't had a call in some time but the next call will be number 4.

If you ever get that call, you can dub yourself "I Am Number Four". :)

Boxcar